• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is admittedly a stupid question but I always wondered the technical aspect of this. What is it specifically that makes phones unable to run stock android? By that I mean lets say we have the nexus 4 that runs stock, it uses the S4 pro cpu, for example. And then we have the HTC Verizon Droid DNA One Plus LTE which also uses an S4 pro, lets say. So why isn't it possible to simply flash stock on it and have that phone function as a nexus phone from that point on?

I always wondered this. I'm aware that if it is using different innards then it changes a lot for optimization reasons or something, but what if it's the same.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
google talks a lot of shit, I'll add it though.

Updated version!

The things I'm sure will probably be part of key lime pie or announced at the same time as the new OS. So far we have:

- Multiple accounts (likely and meh)
- Unified Messaging (good, and likely)
- Random Camera features (likely, and why not!)
- A chrome that is actually good (perhaps...)
- Crazy amount of new gestures (bow to your galaxy overlords)
- Game-center equivalent system maybe? (maybe...)
- Better battery life management of some sort (probably...)
- Some kind of streaming capabilities (perhaps maybe one day)

Don't forget:

hrb3mPt.png

Don't forget:

Updated version!

The things I'm sure will probably be part of key lime pie or announced at the same time as the new OS. So far we have:

- Multiple accounts (likely and meh)
- Unified Messaging (good, and likely)
- Random Camera features (likely, and why not!)
- A chrome that is actually good (perhaps...)
- Crazy amount of new gestures (bow to your galaxy overlords)
- Game-center equivalent system maybe? (maybe...)
- Better battery life management of some sort (probably...)
- Some kind of streaming capabilities (perhaps maybe one day)
- Possible multiwindow support like touchwiz, or something (probably not lulzz)
- And of course: http://i.imgur.com/rssn7V9.png

Google Reader.

I think he's more referring to dropping CalDAV for a proprietary Google Calendar API.

Whilst that might be a crappy move for the open source community, I don't get how it makes them untrustworthy. Dicks maybe, but I don't remember anyone at Google promising they would always use open source calendar API's. Could be wrong though. It's not part of my daily reading material.

Talon

Whilst that might be a crappy move for the open source community, I don't get how it makes them untrustworthy. Dicks maybe, but I don't remember anyone at Google promising they would always use open source calendar API's. Could be wrong though. It's not part of my daily reading material.
"Open, Open, Open. Don't be evil. Except when it doesn't suit our interests!"

This is why it's pointless to ever champion yourself in a position of moral superiority as a company. You will look like a hypocrite at some point, so it's best not to bother.

"Open, Open, Open. Don't be evil. Except when it doesn't suit our interests!"

Don't be evil isn't an official Google mantra. Although in the grand scheme of things using non open sourced api's for calendars isn't exactly my idea of evil. I've never totally bought Google as being "open". More open than Apple or MS maybe, but it's all shades of grey. Android is pretty much useless without the closed source GAPPS.

This is admittedly a stupid question but I always wondered the technical aspect of this. What is it specifically that makes phones unable to run stock android? By that I mean lets say we have the nexus 4 that runs stock, it uses the S4 pro cpu, for example. And then we have the HTC Verizon Droid DNA One Plus LTE which also uses an S4 pro, lets say. So why isn't it possible to simply flash stock on it and have that phone function as a nexus phone from that point on?

I always wondered this. I'm aware that if it is using different innards then it changes a lot for optimization reasons or something, but what if it's the same.
so does no one know the answer to this?

Talon

Don't be evil isn't an official Google mantra. Although in the grand scheme of things using non open sourced api's for calendars isn't exactly my idea of evil. I've never totally bought Google as being "open". More open than Apple or MS maybe, but it's all shades of grey. Android is pretty much useless without the closed source GAPPS.
Well, I don't think anyone (Bboy) is pointing only to that. More the sustained pattern of consistently positioning decisions as good for the "open web," as if Google is running some sort of charity for the benefit of all users of the Internet.

Same with the way that Apple always states, "we were thinking about the user first" with every damn decision they make. I don't they're held up for it as much because, as noted above, the much touted "unofficial" motto, which was a silly thing to put forward because it's a losing proposition either way.

Or, hell, the Mozilla foundation's reaction towards Webkit is pretty humorous as well.

The idea of any company as the "good guys" is absurd. Corporate tribalism will be the death of us all. /OldMan

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Because Google keeps talking about the importance of open standards. Calendar specifically? No. But open anything? Absolutely. Then they removed an open standard. They keep talking about the need for interoperability. But that's such shit. They do whatever to push their agenda. At least Apple doesn't hide it. Apple is a great company that looks to make its money but you know where they're going. They make money off of their hardware and ecosystem. Not off of ads. They didn't push Ping like Google is doing with G+.

so does no one know the answer to this?

Probably driver issues.

Well, I don't think anyone (Bboy) is pointing only to that. More the sustained pattern of consistently positioning decisions as good for the "open web," as if Google is running some sort of charity for the benefit of all users of the Internet.

Same with the way that Apple always states, "we were thinking about the user first" with every damn decision they make. I don't they're held up for it as much because, as noted above, the much touted "unofficial" motto, which was a silly thing to put forward because it's a losing proposition either way.

Or, hell, the Mozilla foundation's reaction towards Webkit is pretty humorous as well.

The idea of any company as the "good guys" is absurd. Corporate tribalism will be the death of us all. /OldMan

Yup. If you look to corporations for morality guidance you're pretty much fucked. Incidentally the guy to blame for all this might be Steve Jobs. His advice to Larry Page

Jobs told Page that Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) needed to figure out exactly what the company was good at and focus. Jobs also told Page not to be too nice, as a CEO—search for A-Players while turning away those who do not make the cut or bring value to the company.

Nicktendo86

I don't think it'll come till the fall either, in which case wont the s600 be a tiny bit outdated by then. When is the s800 coming into the rotation? With the reported improvements for battery life, combine that with a possible 3100mah battery and that would be one of the best on the market.
I don't care, I would snap this up. Sounds like my dream phone, especially if LCD.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
so there's no way to provide the necessary drivers?

I mean there HAS TO BE A WAY to turn any phone into a nexus phone as long as it's using the same cpu or something.

Writing your own drivers, yeah. That's a lot of work with little documentation. Total PITA. I thought it didn't matter what phone I bought since I could AOSP it. Not the case. Well, I could but it runs like a hacked ROM would.

Blackhead

Redarse

Yay <3 Google

Em
The Verge said:
Unfortunately, it looks like you can only have options for reply or archive, not both, but it's still a nice addition (albeit something that webOS offered many years ago). If you get a lot of email, this won't be super useful, however &#8212; you can only use this feature if you have a single email in your notification drawer.
Oh FFS Google, years late and still not even as good as webOS. :/

Writing your own drivers, yeah. That's a lot of work with little documentation. Total PITA. I thought it didn't matter what phone I bought since I could AOSP it. Not the case. Well, I could but it runs like a hacked ROM would.
google needs to find a way to create a tool that will let you do it!

Bboy AJ

google needs to find a way to create a tool that will let you do it!

They'll create it and encourage everyone to use it. Then when it no longer fits their agenda, they'll drop it in a second and shove you toward some shitty Android dev community on G+

They'll create it and encourage everyone to use it. Then when it no longer fits their agenda, they'll drop it in a second and shove you toward some shitty Android dev community on G+
lol never going to let that go eh

The Droid DNA has different hardware than the Nexus 4. Droid DNA supports CDMA and more LTE bands. The display and camera are different.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was asking for specific reasons why 2 phones who have the same architecture, 1 being a nexus and the other not being, can't both be nexus phones in a simple way.

Bboy AJ

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was asking for specific reasons why 2 phones who have the same architecture, 1 being a nexus and the other not being, can't both be nexus phones in a simple way.

Depending on whether the bootloader is locked, I think that's possible.

Depending on whether the bootloader is locked, I think that's possible.
I thought the same, but it seems so obvious there must be a reason it hasn't been done. There must be a tool google can create that would allow stock on certain phones that follow certain criteria. They can update the tool with every new iteration of the OS.

Bboy AJ

I thought the same, but it seems so obvious there must be a reason it hasn't been done. There must be a tool google can create that would allow stock on certain phones that follow certain criteria. They can update the tool with every new iteration of the OS.

What's a phone that's been a Nexus but also has a manufacturer or carrier version? I mean 100% of the way. And an unlocked bootloader? I can't think of one.

What's a phone that's been a Nexus but also has a manufacturer or carrier version? I mean 100% of the way. And an unlocked bootloader? I can't think of one.
beats me but lets say the Xperia Z. Uses the same cpu as the nexus 4, unlocked bootloader, etc...Only differences is radio frequencies supported. Does that make ALL the difference or something.

I just find it hard to believe.

It is almost here: Google expected to unify chat under the name Babble

Google&#8217;s quest to continue unifying their products is about to enter its next phase. According to multiple sources, the company&#8217;s next step includes unifying their messaging platforms into a single service, which is expected to be called Babble.

Google&#8217;s got a huge communication problem right now. If you take a look at all of their services, you&#8217;ll find a series of communications platforms that don&#8217;t interact with each other very well, if at all. Google Talk, Hangout, Voice, Messenger, Chat for Drive collaboration, and the pseudo Google Talk for G+ all function just a little differently from one another. The only two to really function together are Google Talk for Gmail and G+, but ask anyone using the two systems and you&#8217;ll hear just how bad things are right now.

Cipherr

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
*Phonearena warning*

Is this the new nexus:

nexus5-main-2.jpg

Like anything in life, once a crack or leak appears in a barrier, invariably, more cracks and leaks will emerge and it seems that we might be on the cusp of all sorts of rumor and innuendo.

Having said that, a tipster slipped us what he or she called an &#8220;unofficial&#8221; press image of the yet-to-be announced Nexus 5. We have already heard rumors of LG building the next Nexus handset, and like most rumors there is conflicting information.

Nonetheless, we feel comfortable passing along the image and the information that came with it because, while some information is conflicting, the differences really only add to the discussion overall of what might be in the works. LG&#8217;s own Senior Vice President is on the record saying that the Nexus 4 is &#8220;the first of many devices to come&#8221; so rumors about the next Nexus device coming from LG are not too much of a stretch.

Specifications are another story, we have received tips that we shared with you earlier today, indicating a 5-inch 1080p display, 3,140mAh battery and Snapdragon 600 CPU and Nikon branding associated with the camera. The specifications that arrived with this press shot say a 5.2-inch IPS display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 at 2.1GHz, 16MP camera, 2,900mAh battery and 3GB of RAM. We have shared our skepticism about the 3GB RAM rumor, but we are just passing it along to you.

On to the press image, it looks like a cross between a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the LG Nexus 4. The &#8220;X&#8221; in the &#8220;nexus&#8221; logo on the bottom of the device will apparently blink as a notification light when messages coming (just like the Galaxy Nexus does). What is telling about the image is the date and time on the display, May 15 is day one of the Google I/O developer conference. We can only speculate about the time, but 8:45 in the morning (Pacific time) would be a find time to unveil some new technology for all of North America to see, be it in person or via live stream.

Another thing to consider is that the Nexus 4 has only been available for about four months, so it is worth reflecting on how rumor-hype can self-perpetuate. However, a new piece of hardware to ring in a new version of Android seems perfectly appropriate to us. How about you?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-this-a-press-shot-of-the-Nexus-5_id40990

*phonearena warning*

edit: this is so stupid, why did I post this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom