• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Two calls on Apex? Alright, i'll do that then.

Uhm. Any reason why?
I prefer Nova myself, actually, but apex, adw ex, and nova are pretty much identical these days. Adw ex dw recently had a code overhaul where they added a nifty beginner's walkthrough to quickly familiarize you with its options, so if you need something like that, I'd go for adwex first solely for that reason.

Once you get used to one launcher's options, you'll know how to navigate most others - it's just a matter of learning how they organized those same features.

I've actually been trying Action Launcher (by Chris Lacy) and really like the quick-access app list and the search-tool format. It's severely limited feature-wise compared to most major launchers, but it's built to be simple.

Groof

Well then, that final post convinced me! May just go pro straight away too. There's obviously an advantage to it lol

I'd say it's absolutely worth it. I also have both pro versions of Apex and Nova, but every time I try Nova I just end up going back to Apex.
Apex 4 lyfe.

thespot84

iV4sHf9U2w7ty.png

The keep widget is pretty cool for a front homescreen if you take a lot of notes. you can size it to show as many as you want. very simple but functional.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
And here I was bitching about Google not including a note taking app. Keep is pretty good and I really like the widget.

Danj

So I just got a new phone (Sony Xperia Z) and I'd like to get my old phone into a non-sucky usable state so I can give it to my mum. It's an LG Optimus 2X, I believe there are nightly CyanogenMod 10.1 builds available for it, so does anyone know where I can find a simple and easy guide to what I need to do?

Difficulty: it's currently running one of the leaked ICS builds that leaked from LG's web site, but it's got some bugs and stuff, hence wanting to move to something else.

3phemeral

I find the Google Music app extremely slow to navigate, even with only offline music. Will they ever update it and fix this?

There are a lot of things wrong with Google Music, even though I use it as my primary music-playing app. The action bar is inconsistent for one, and when I'm in a playlist, hitting the list button takes me to the list of all my songs in my library, not the list of songs in the playlist (what?!). When I get into Google Music from another app, hitting back takes me to another Google Music page and not the actual previous page/app I was on. Additionally, I'd like to be able to modify tags when I'm there. It's so much easier to correct a song name when I'm actually listening to the song, versus having to try and remember to do it when I get home.

Groof

There are a lot of things wrong with Google Music, even though I use it as my primary music-playing app. The action bar is inconsistent for one, and when I'm in a playlist, hitting the list button takes me to the list of all my songs in my library, not the list of songs in the playlist (what?!). When I get into Google Music from another app, hitting back takes me to another Google Music page and not the actual previous page/app I was on. Additionally, I'd like to be able to modify tags when I'm there. It's so much easier to correct a song name when I'm actually listening to the song, versus having to try and remember to do it when I get home.

Don't worry, now you can screenshot it and take a note about it with the new Google Keep™!

I've only recently started using the Google Music app, and yeah, I don't really like it either

So I just got a new phone (Sony Xperia Z) and I'd like to get my old phone into a non-sucky usable state so I can give it to my mum. It's an LG Optimus 2X, I believe there are nightly CyanogenMod 10.1 builds available for it, so does anyone know where I can find a simple and easy guide to what I need to do?

Difficulty: it's currently running one of the leaked ICS builds that leaked from LG's web site, but it's got some bugs and stuff, hence wanting to move to something else.

http://get.cm/?device=p990

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_p990

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2020737

3phemeral

Don't worry, now you can screenshot it and take a note about it with the new Google Keep™!

I've only recently started using the Google Music app, and yeah, I don't really like it either

I thought Google Keep was recently just "uncovered" in a Google press-release screenshot they accidentally forgot to content check, but then I see people posting shots of widgets so I checked it out. I have tons of stuff on Evernote, so I'm unlikely to switch. But I'm checking it out now to see how it fares.

Ri'Orius

Alright, I've got an upgrade available and am looking at my options. I got a Droid Bionic back in the day, which is still plenty fast for me, but the battery life leaves much to be desired... Right now I'm leaning toward the Razr HD, but I'm considering springing for the Maxx.

Any advice, either on those two or some alternative I should be considering as well?

Alright, I've got an upgrade available and am looking at my options. I got a Droid Bionic back in the day, which is still plenty fast for me, but the battery life leaves much to be desired... Right now I'm leaning toward the Razr HD, but I'm considering springing for the Maxx.

Any advice, either on those two or some alternative I should be considering as well?

Since pctx is banned, I'll take over his job:

X phone.

Groof

I thought Google Keep was recently just "uncovered" in a Google press-release screenshot they accidentally forgot to content check, but then I see people posting shots of widgets so I checked it out. I have tons of stuff on Evernote, so I'm unlikely to switch. But I'm checking it out now to see how it fares.
Yeah it got released for real yesterday, I think. Never been big on note taking apps so I can't compare much. I just find the design really attractive, so I'm trying it out as well.

Danj

Thanks guys, looks like I can use that second link to install the ClockworkMod that is required for the first link to work?

EDIT: well OK I got ClockworkMod working but despite doing the adb push thing the zip doesn't seem to appear on the sdcard, plus now if I reboot the phone it is stuck in an "Encryption unsuccessful" message from which the only thing I can do is turn it off.

I see there's a new version of the stock rom available from LG so I guess I am gonna have to try flashing that instead.

thespot84

Yes, CWM is required. If you have an unlocked bootloader it will be very easy.

i recommend teamwin's TWRP. If you're rooted go install goo.im from the play store, it'll show you all the recoveries you can install, and once you do, all the ROMs available. not sure if CM is on there but there are a bunch.

3phemeral

i recommend teamwin's TWRP. If you're rooted go install goo.im from the play store, it'll show you all the recoveries you can install, and once you do, all the ROMs available. not sure if CM is on there but there are a bunch.

Yeah, I like how TWRP handles wiping ROMs. Rather than just "Factory Rest" + dalvik cache/cache, you also get the option to wipe the ROM itself, plus separate options for internal and external memory. CWM had a bunch of incompatibility issues that caused a major headache when flaashing my TF101, but TWRP has been smooth sailing for all of my devices so far.

3phemeral

Yeah it got released for real yesterday, I think. Never been big on note taking apps so I can't compare much. I just find the design really attractive, so I'm trying it out as well.

I like it, but it's far too simple from what I'm used to on Evernote. I do like how easy it is to create task lists, so I'll probably use it for that. I already don't like how you can record audio from the widget, but that option doesn't exist once you're in a note, so it you delete the note you made, you can't redo it it. You'll have to exit and enter through the widget. I can't organize my notes via groupings either.

One major downside to Evernote is how you access your notes. They need to make it vertically scrolling because those tiny arrows buttons don't cut it for me. Additionally, why is the widget a separate app? Can't they integrate the two together? Doesn't make any sense. I do like that that Google Keep can scroll via widget like how Google Currents handles its content from within the app (which Currents doesn't do via its widget for some reason), so I'm looking forward to updates for it. I know someone who'd love to use this, though, so I'll send them a recommendation for it.

Now i'm so confused which one to get :(

Try the free version of ADW just so you can get used to some of the features it offers because most others will offer the same thing. I've bought all premium versions of launchers myself and have tended to switch between adw ex and Nova, but have stuck with Nova lately as my permanent solution, but you really can't go wrong. I stuck with Nova because of the icon issue and just overall smoothness, but others have different experiences. Really depends on what you need versus what you want, but I can see how that would be difficult if you don't have experience with customizing your launcher at all.

Danj

Yes, CWM is required. If you have an unlocked bootloader it will be very easy.

Yeah I got ClockworkMod on there but failed to be able to load the rom onto the sdcard with adb, and now when the phone boots up I have the "Encryption failed" message from which I can't escape. I see there's a newer stock ROM available from LG so I am gonna try flashing that to see if it returns the phone to a usable state.

3phemeral

Yeah I got ClockworkMod on there but failed to be able to load the rom onto the sdcard with adb, and now when the phone boots up I have the "Encryption failed" message from which I can't escape. I see there's a newer stock ROM available from LG so I am gonna try flashing that to see if it returns the phone to a usable state.

I got that from flashing the wrong kernel on my device by accident and it was a pain to fix.

Nicktendo86

Yeah probably wrong kernel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom