• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If I do that will it be easier/less broken to try and transfer the rom file over while in recovery mode? because at the moment I still can't boot the phone in normal mode.

Should be. I have no problems doing it all the time with TWRP.

BIGWORM

OK, I got TWRP installed, what do I need to do to a) copy the CM10.1 rom over and b) flash it?

Pretty much guaranteed to not have gapps included with that ROM. So you'll need to flash both the ROM zip and gapps zip in the same session.

Danj

Pretty much guaranteed to not have gapps included with that ROM. So you'll need to flash both the ROM zip and gapps zip in the same session.

OK, tried that. Now when I rebooted the system it seems like I have some half-broken version of the old LG ICS ROM that was on it - it doesn't come up with the encryption error any more, but it complains about missing components.

BIGWORM

OK, tried that. Now when I rebooted the system it seems like I have some half-broken version of the old LG ICS ROM that was on it - it doesn't come up with the encryption error any more, but it complains about missing components.

Did you wipe your previous ROM? Factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik cache, wipe system. I do those manually, some devs create a wipe zip for particular phones that can do all that automatically.

*edit* Beaten like a red-headed step child.

Danj

Did you wipe your previous ROM? Factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik cache, wipe system. I do those manually, some devs create a wipe zip for particular phones that can do all that automatically.

Ahh, I did the factory reset and wipe cache but not the wipe system. Trying that now.

EDIT: okay, so now it won't boot. It just sits there at the LG logo. I am going to take a guess and suggest this might be because of the ICS bootloader? Apparently CM is not compatible with it? Anyone know where I can get hold of the old bootloader/old stock firmware? All the links I found point to LG's site and they don't have old firmwares on there any more.

Vanillalite

Fast boot flash the boot.IMG in the CM zip.

That or you didn't wipe cache post flash. Try wiping both cache and dalvick after you flash.

I've been using TWRP on my Note II. I definitely prefer it to CWM these days.

In unrelated news, I've been enjoying streaming of the NCAA Tournament on my phone today with the March Madness Live app. I just watched Davidson blow a perfect upset opportunity against Marquette, ugh.

Nakazato

So im looking for an Tablet and was wondering if i need to just go ahead and buy a nexus 7 or wait till I/O. Also is there in other Android tablets i should be looking at ?

Danj

How do I do this? The all in one toolkit thing linked earlier only seems to have an option to flash the ICS bootloader.

EDIT: nevermind, it was hidden in the change layout thing.

OK, well, I tried to flash the old bootloader and revert to the old partition layout in preparation for installing CM10.1 but after I did that nothing I tried seemed to work. I finally ended up flashing a V30A stock rom from LG's site and the phone at least boots now, but I'd still really like to get CM10.1 on it. It seems like what I need is an old V20G UK stock ROM to flash, but the V20G_00.kdz file is gone from LG's site.

surprised dude is going gaga over the highlight reel. Seems like some random shit to me that I'd never use or ever really look at except once or twice to see how it is.

I have a six month old in the house, and being a baby, it's very hard to capture that perfect picture. The way the One takes picture combined with video PLUS the highlight reel is perfect for what i'd use it for. I can see how it's not for everyone though.

Groof

I like it, but it's far too simple from what I'm used to on Evernote. I do like how easy it is to create task lists, so I'll probably use it for that. I already don't like how you can record audio from the widget, but that option doesn't exist once you're in a note, so it you delete the note you made, you can't redo it it. You'll have to exit and enter through the widget. I can't organize my notes via groupings either.

One major downside to Evernote is how you access your notes. They need to make it vertically scrolling because those tiny arrows buttons don't cut it for me. Additionally, why is the widget a separate app? Can't they integrate the two together? Doesn't make any sense. I do like that that Google Keep can scroll via widget like how Google Currents handles its content from within the app (which Currents doesn't do via its widget for some reason), so I'm looking forward to updates for it. I know someone who'd love to use this, though, so I'll send them a recommendation for it.

The app itself has a voice recording option, doesn't it? Or did I understand that wrong? Also, if this video is correct, you can just use Voice Search/Google Now for taking notes.

3phemeral

The app itself has a voice recording option, doesn't it? Or did I understand that wrong? Also, if this video is correct, you can just use Voice Search/Google Now for taking notes.
Oh no, that part works fine. I'm referring to how you can embed an audio recording into the note using the widget, but not when you're in the app itself, nor even after you've recorded one but then deleted the clip (for instance, to re-record). You can embed pictures from within the app itself without relying on the widget, but the same is not true for audio.

Groof

Oh no, that part works fine. I'm referring to how you can embed an audio recording into the note using the widget, but not when you're in the app itself, nor even after you've recorded one but then deleted the clip (for instance, to re-record). You can embed pictures from within the app itself without relying in the widget, but the same is not true for audio.
Ooh yeah I see what you mean now. Yeah that seems like a poor omission. I'm hoping they'll keep the app updated on a regular basis adding in functionality like that, but they're usually pretty slow about those things... Though Chrome beta updates have been frequent, so you never know.

whitehawk

Banned
There are a lot of things wrong with Google Music, even though I use it as my primary music-playing app. The action bar is inconsistent for one, and when I'm in a playlist, hitting the list button takes me to the list of all my songs in my library, not the list of songs in the playlist (what?!). When I get into Google Music from another app, hitting back takes me to another Google Music page and not the actual previous page/app I was on. Additionally, I'd like to be able to modify tags when I'm there. It's so much easier to correct a song name when I'm actually listening to the song, versus having to try and remember to do it when I get home.
Very true. Problems I have..

- When I hit the list button it shows every song, not just the album I'm listening to.
- When I hit a song that's already playing, it restarts the song
- App isn't responsive, runs very slow even in offline mode.
- No way to edit song info on the device
- Cover flow only works when you're browsing recent music (the hell is this).
- Touch controls for cover flow are messed up.

Vanillalite

And you gotta figure that you won't be able to buy one for 4 months because Google sucks at determining inventory needs.

True, but it should put some downward pressure on stores to get rid of the current Nexus 7 stock. Not that the tablet isn't already cheap.

Vanillalite

Tried this, didn't help.

How do I do this? The all in one toolkit thing linked earlier only seems to have an option to flash the ICS bootloader.

EDIT: nevermind, it was hidden in the change layout thing.

A lot of times you can't do it after the fact. If you just tried to wipe dalvik and cache after you had reboot problems it probably won't fix things. You need to make sure you wipe both as soon as you are done flashing your ROM before you reboot.

3phemeral

Why is choosing a default basically never works with some apps? Like choosing Play Store and YouTube links in the browser always pop up the prompt.

Really? Always works with me. Do you have some app that's cleaning out your system cache or something? In fact, the other day, I accidentally picked a default that way and had to reset it via app manager to get it back.

Really? Always works with me. Do you have some app that's cleaning out your system cache or something? In fact, the other day, I accidentally picked a default that way and had to reset it via app manager to get it back.

Choosing the links in Google Now shows an extra app that doesn't appear elsewhere, Phone 2 Chrome.

I've got to choose the default from Now and then again from the browser. Weird.

Vanillalite

Anands write up on the HTC one kinda makes me want it >.<

But no microsd? What the eff High tech!?

Does no microsd really matter? I get that it sucked when we had 8 gig phones and wanted the extra storage. I get that for heavier users even on a 16 gig phone.

The One comes standard with 32 gigs though with 64 being an option. Do you really need more space than that?

3phemeral

Choosing the links in Google Now shows an extra app that doesn't appear elsewhere, Phone 2 Chrome.

I've got to choose the default from Now and then again from the browser. Weird.

Hm.. I used to use that prior to Chrome being released for Android, though I know there's another variant of "chrome to phone" or something like that as a permission setting when you browse your "allowed permissions" in your security settings for your main Google account. Have you tried uninstalling Chrome (or whatever app you use) and re-accepting the permissions it requests?

Does no microsd really matter? I get that it sucked when we had 8 gig phones and wanted the extra storage. I get that for heavier users even on a 16 gig phone.

The One comes standard with 32 gigs though with 64 being an option. Do you really need more space than that?

I have 16 GB internal + 64 GB microSD = 80 GB in my Note II right now.

It's kind of funny to think that it wasn't so long ago when PC hard drives were that big. Now I have the same amount of storage in my phone.

Vanillalite

It's kind of funny to think that it wasn't so long ago when PC hard drives were that big. Now I have the same amount of storage in my phone.

WTF do you use all of that space for? Not trying to hate, but seriously?

Hm.. I used to use that prior to Chrome being released for Android, though I know there's another variant of "chrome to phone" or something like that as a permission setting when you browse your "allowed permissions" in your security settings for your main Google account. Have you tried uninstalling Chrome (or whatever app you use) and re-accepting the permissions it requests?

Sorry I meant doing that method chose the correct default. It works now, just a werid workaround.

3phemeral

Could easily fill it up with movies and music, especially if you don't have unlimited data. Heck, games these days can take up a few gigs for additional content once you download the install apk, and deleting/re-installing it when you wanna play it isn't feasible.

Nitsuj23

Going back and forth between the S4 and One. Do any of you guys read eBooks on 4.7+" phones? Coming from an iPhone it's never been very realistic, but 5" seems like that could work.

The One seems like it may be too small, but I'm not really sure .3" would make any difference... would like to hear from people who have tried to use their phones as eReaders. Thanks.

16 is probably enough for me. I usually don't store things on my phone for long other than apps, and even those I delete if I don't use them in my rotation. 32 would be wayyyy more than enough for me. Props to HTC for making that their minimum.

adelante

Same setup with mine. TONS of 720p videos (including HD video podcasts) in my Note2. Having a need for that much space is not out of the ordinary.

My music collection is the main use of storage. It currently occupies about 33 GB of space on the microSD. My phone is my music player now, I don't even use my computers or tablet for music anymore. All music playback directs out of my phone. Dat Wolfson DAC.

The internal memory is currently being occupied by the likes of Real Racing 3 (1.17 GB), NFS: Most Wanted (1.93 GB), and Mass Effect: Infiltrator (0.94 GB). I'm actually running out of internal storage because of all these huge-ass games which are hogging space. I need to eventually implement the Directory Bind trick to create dynamic links (virtual directories) so I can store space-hogging games on my microSD as well. Otherwise I'll never be able to install Asphalt 7 and Dead Space on my phone.

Why do you guys store it there? Are you watching them? Delete after you watch, or transfer to PC if it's a video you made.

I guess I'm semi OCD about being organized/efficient lol.

Why do you guys store it there? Are you watching them? Delete after you watch, or transfer to PC if it's a video you made.

I guess I'm semi OCD about being organized/efficient lol.
what if i have everything backed up on dropbox + box + jottacloud + pc + dvdr backup but also want them available on my mobile handset to display to others at any random time?

Going back and forth between the S4 and One. Do any of you guys read eBooks on 4.7+" phones? Coming from an iPhone it's never been very realistic, but 5" seems like that could work.

The One seems like it may be too small, but I'm not really sure .3" would make any difference... would like to hear from people who have tried to use their phones as eReaders. Thanks.

I wouldn't use my nexus 4 for reading books but my gf uses her note 2 daily for it. No idea about 5".

Groof

So I had my N4 charging over night and when I woke up, the phone was dead and the LED light was flashing yellow. I read about this problem a while ago but can't remember the details. Should I be worried?
Good thing I woke up in time, else I probably would've missed my exam.

Business

Guys my company got a couple of cheap phones that we will keep in case one of the main ones breaks or something. I can choose between a Galaxy Mini2 and a Xperia Miro, which one of the two should I choose? If I understand correctly the Miro runs a newer version of Android but which is the better phone.

samsung-galaxy-mini-2.jpg

xperia-miro-white-pakistan__30511_zoom.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom