• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never search for anything? I use that thing constantly

Whenever I want to search for something, I'm already in my browser. Why go back to the home screen just for a Google search? The first thing I see after unlocking my phone is the browser anyway (at least 90% of the time). Maybe Chrome OS on a phone might be better suited for me.

Here ya go. It's a personal photo by a friend of mine.

Thank you. Tell you friend that it's a really great picture.

gcubed

Whenever I want to search for something, I'm already in my browser. Why go back to the home screen just for a Google search? The first thing I see after unlocking my phone is the browser anyway (at least 90% of the time). Maybe Chrome OS on a phone might be better suited for me.

Thank you.

It saves you a few seconds, well if you had your phone and wanted to search for something. If you unlock to your browser than that negates that, I have a strange need to always be on my home screen when I unlock.

Groof

Thank you. Tell you friend that it's a really great picture.

Will do. :)

As for the whole search bar debate, it can also be negated with just opening up Google Now for anywhere. Be it lock screen or from inside an app. But I sometimes (rarely) use the bar itself, and I keep it in just because I've gotten so used to it being there. Might be annoying when you're doing some major customizing to your home screens, but other than that it's subtle enough to not be of much concern.

Nicktendo86

Okay just thought I would give Apex a go after months of being a die hard Nova fan, think I have converted. Apex seems to offer much more options and functionality and is now smooth as silk.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
nexusae0_image_thumb65.png

Hope this is a placeholder price, because NO

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...lists-the-samsung-galaxy-s4-game-pad-for-113/

jokkir

People are posting their home screen? Here's my old one:

jbnXVxvLRn7czD.png

I usually tend to switch the wallpaper around and sometimes the icons but the layout has been the same for months

SimleuqiR

I hate that you can't remove the search bar on the stock launcher. It's almost been a year since I switched to Android and I've never, ever used the search bar. And it's on all home screens. What a waste of space.

Shit man, y'all need to learn how to use gestures and more docks for added minimalism and functionality.

Only one home screen. Swipe up for app tray. 4 docks with 5 most used apps each. Used to use Minimalistic Text for ever more minimalism, but DashClock works just as well.
Oh and #teamApex

Yup. I use Nova, and removed the search bar. I have these gestures:

• Swipe up for Google Now (find it easier then holding the home button and then selecting the Google orb)
  • Swipe down for notification menu/bar
  • Double Tap for accessing the settings/toggles menu

Nicktendo86

Yup. I use Nova, and removed the search bar. I have these gestures:

• Swipe up for Google Now (find it easier then holding the home button and then selecting the Google orb)
  • Swipe down for notification menu/bar
  • Double Tap for accessing the settings/toggles menu

I'm guessing you don't have a phone with on screen buttons? If you do, you don't have to wait for the orb to show and then move onto that. Just swipe up from the nav bar and it will open Now.

SimleuqiR

I'm guessing you don't have a phone with on screen buttons? If you do, you don't have to wait for the orb to show and then move onto that. Just swipe up from the nav bar and it will open Now.

I have a Nexus 4. But swiping up anywhere on the screen is easier than homing in on the home button, then swiping up. No?

Nicktendo86

I have a Nexus 4. But swiping up anywhere on the screen is easier than homing in on the home button, then swiping up. No?

I find those sort of gestures annoying actually, I find it much easier on my galaxy nexus to just swipe up from the nav bar. Easch to their own I guess.

I hate that you can't remove the search bar on the stock launcher. It's almost been a year since I switched to Android and I've never, ever used the search bar. And it's on all home screens. What a waste of space.

Wow I never realized that you can't get rid of it. That's pretty stupid and thinking about it I've never used it either.

mturco

OMGZ WALLPAPER SOURCZ!

Please :D

It's one of the HTC One wallpapers.
http://www.androidcentral.com/download-sense-5-wallpapers-htc-one

Edit: Looks like the Android+Chrome OS merge isn't happening after all...
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/21/4130870/schmidt-google-to-keep-android-and-chrome-os-separate

The Verge said:
Google chairman Eric Schmidt has squashed rumors that the company will merge its Android and Chrome operating systems, telling attendees at Google's Big Tent event in India that the two platforms are "certainly going to remain separate for a very long time, because they solve different problems."

Cipherr

Search bar is the quickest way to voice control. Tap it an set an alarm, tap it and it will detect music so you can ID a song, tap it and ask a quick math problem, tap it and say "scan this barcode", tap it and say "Note to self", etc etc. I pretty much use it as a way to keep from having to swipe up into Google now before activating the voice search.

Zeppu

Best usage for me is to translate units. It knows I always want units in SI units and C so I just need to tell it "how much is 5 inches" to get it in mm.

panda21

Got chameleon launcher for my phone because it's new and shiny... Wouldn't recommend it. The clock widget looks nice but the weather one is pretty junky, randomly resizing itself between fitting in its windows and overflowing, and Facebook has spasms every time it updates. Without more widgets it's not useful

SimleuqiR

Search bar is the quickest way to voice control. Tap it an set an alarm, tap it and it will detect music so you can ID a song, tap it and ask a quick math problem, tap it and say "scan this barcode", tap it and say "Note to self", etc etc. I pretty much use it as a way to keep from having to swipe up into Google now before activating the voice search.

I sense a pattern.

tumblr_lkhd774P4a1qf2atio1_500.gif

mturco

I love that it can do all this stuff (and I thought it was awesome when Google Now came out) but I just never find myself using it. I can't see myself talking to my phone in public. The only time I use voice control stuff is when I'm driving (voice typing, getting directions, etc).

gcubed

I love that it can do all this stuff (and I thought it was awesome when Google Now came out) but I just never find myself using it. I can't see myself talking to my phone in public. The only time I use voice control stuff is when I'm driving (voice typing, getting directions, etc).

I don't even do that much voice controls on it, but looking up numbers of businesses when i'm calling is its main use. Navigation as well (well thats a voice control)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Nice. Love the white text on that background. Almost too much text in my opinion though. It'd look great with some minimalistic white icons for the apps in the dock.

I was too lazy to make icons when I got my N4, I do agree it'd be better though.

3phemeral

Got chameleon launcher for my phone because it's new and shiny... Wouldn't recommend it. The clock widget looks nice but the weather one is pretty junky, randomly resizing itself between fitting in its windows and overflowing, and Facebook has spasms every time it updates. Without more widgets it's not useful
Should have read my review here. :)

It still sucks, even with 2.0. Twitter and facebook widgets don't work, multiple gmail account authorization still blows, widget selection and support is abysmal, and it takes forever to load widget content with the few widgets they do have. Plus, I'm dead certain it's draining the heck out of my battery.

Sweet. Thanks. I couldn't find anything and a google search brought up a bunch of Spanish- and German-language sites.

After seeing these screens I can't wait to ditch iPhone. Even my jailbroken one won't even come close to what these look like.

Question for anyone, is installing Nova launcher pretty much something I should do straight away, and is it considered the best overall launcher??

Groof

After seeing these screens I can't wait to ditch iPhone. Even my jailbroken one won't even come close to what these look like.

Question for anyone, is installing Apex launcher pretty much something I should do straight away, and is it considered the best overall launcher??
Fixed that for you and yes, you should. Stock launcher has no customization options.

Question for anyone, is installing Nova launcher pretty much something I should do straight away, and is it considered the best overall launcher??
if you want to use a launcher, you should always try Apex first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom