• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocho

The icons take up half the bar! The status info should be just enough to let you know everything's ok. The rest of the space should be clear so that the notifications stand out when they're there. Clear status bar, clear mind.

Also, the visual style is more Matrix/Tron than Gingerbread and Honeycomb were.

So? It's a status bar! It shows statuses of the phone. You want only the clock? Sure, the icons are a bit big, but no problem. It probably uses 1/3rd more space than stock android and suddenly it's bad (compare the recent screenshots posted before this post). It's not bad, it's decent, it's functional, it's ok-ay. You can still see and receive 3-4 notifications from different apps without completely filling up.

Well, to each their own. I seriously don't think it's a big deal.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GS4 Mini would be s solid phone, but they have to go and shit it up with a qHD display. Why not just give it a full 720p display?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The fuck happened with the font Google?

DXA7RPP.png

So your saying with a 64 gig version you couldn't have movies on your phone?

I get all of that. You're still not hitting that 64 gig cap (even the real number of usable space). Like I said I get needing more space than the typical 16 gig phone, but holy fucks you can store a shit ton of movies, music, and games even on a 32 gig version let alone a 64 gig version.

but what's the difference in cost between a 32GB and 64GB model? i paid $37 for my 64GB Micro SDXC

I still don't understand the appeal of smartwatches. No one wears watches anymore, and a smartwatch conceivably only saves you a second or two from just picking up your phone.

did you miss the guy who said looking at the time on your phone is rude, but looking at the time on your watch isn't?

After getting my Nexus 4 I can't stand looking at a SAMOLED screen anymore because my face starts hurting all over. Can't believe I used to think that looked amazing.

I sort of agree with this. I was stunned by how much better the Nexus 4 screen was compared to the G Nexus. But I don't put that down to SAMOLED I put that down to pentile. I was always happy with my G Nexus screen until it was side by side with my 4. And LCD's have got way better at displaying black levels.

Oh man, just saw that SG4 Mini, looks like a piece of shit. If Samsung price it like the GS3 mini then the Xperia SP is going to wipe the floor with it. Faster processor, better screen, similar size and a similar price.

HTC have a real opportunity here to release a 4-4.3" 720p high end device. Neither Sony or Samsung have a high end in that size range, they need to pounce now.

Groof

I sort of agree with this. I was stunned by how much better the Nexus 4 screen was compared to the G Nexus. But I don't put that down to SAMOLED I put that down to pentile. I was always happy with my G Nexus screen until it was side by side with my 4. And LCD's have got way better at displaying black levels.
Oh no, I agree. But it's also because of the stupid oversaturation Samsung puts on their displays. It's just unnecessary and doesn't look good to me. The OLED on the Vita for example is amazing, however and had pretty good colour saturation.

If only Samsung would see the light...

Indeed. Just put a bloody LCD screen in it.

but everyone else already makes phones with an LCD in it.

Oh no, I agree. But it's also because of the stupid oversaturation Samsung puts on their displays. It's just unnecessary and doesn't look good to me. The OLED on the Vita for example is amazing, however and had pretty good colour saturation.

for the people who care, GS3, Note 2 and GS4 all have settings for near 'proper' levels.

Sure but on auto, the nexus 4 tends to be too dark... Really annoying.

Oh man, just saw that SG4 Mini, looks like a piece of shit. If Samsung price it like the GS3 mini then the Xperia SP is going to wipe the floor with it. Faster processor, better screen, similar size and a similar price.

HTC have a real opportunity here to release a 4-4.3" 720p high end device. Neither Sony or Samsung have a high end in that size range, they need to pounce now.
the smaller screen = low end device trend is one of the worst things in the mobile industry :|

Nicktendo86

After getting my Nexus 4 I can't stand looking at a SAMOLED screen anymore because my face starts hurting all over. Can't believe I used to think that looked amazing.
Its the burn in and image retention that annoys me most on my galaxy nexus, my brothers n4 blows it away

giga

RE: Watches

1. They're huge in the corporate world. I'm constantly checking the time and whipping out my phone each time just to do that is just gauche.
2. Don't think of smart watches as a traditional watch. They really shouldn't even be called that. It's wearable computing. A smart "band" would be better.

mturco

So? It's a status bar! It shows statuses of the phone. You want only the clock? Sure, the icons are a bit big, but no problem. It probably uses 1/3rd more space than stock android and suddenly it's bad (compare the recent screenshots posted before this post). It's not bad, it's decent, it's functional, it's ok-ay. You can still see and receive 3-4 notifications from different apps without completely filling up.

Well, to each their own. I seriously don't think it's a big deal.

I2wdtLK.png

It's ugly and it wastes space. It's not the worst thing in the world but it's 100% worse than stock.

zedge

The amoled on the gs3 is much better than the one on the gnex. Gnex looks crap next to a gs3.

I'm the guy who said that watches still have a place in a lot of environments. The Faceless Master, in his war against watches, seems to have forgotten that I didn't say that looking at your watch is polite. I specifically said what Talon posted: a watch can let you check the time discretely.

If you check proper watch reviews, most of them put a lot of emphasis on legibility at a distance. This is so you can quickly glance at your watch and get an idea of the time without looking obvious.

RE: Watches

1. They're huge in the corporate world. I'm constantly checking the time and whipping out my phone each time just to do that is just gauche.
2. Don't think of smart watches as a traditional watch. They really shouldn't even be called that. It's wearable computing. A smart "band" would be better.

Exactly this. Go ahead and pull out your phone with your friends but if you're trying to make a good impression, pulling out a phone during a conversation is like saying "you're not really that interesting". Its like the perfect way to rub people the wrong way, especially if they've got inflated egos. If you get caught checking your watch, its just as bad. But unlike a high end Android smartphone (they're all like 5" these days), its actually possible to check your watch without looking like you're doing so.

VanWinkle

I2wdtLK.png

It's ugly and it wastes space. It's not the worst thing in the world but it's 100% worse than stock.

It's ugly, but that's a bit disingenuous. You posted all this extra stuff on the Touchwiz side. This would be a closer comparison. In my opinion stock looks way better, but still.

jbx6owuwFYc7Bm.png

mturco

It's ugly, but that's a bit disigenuous. You posted all this extra stuff on the Touchwiz side. This would be a closer comparison. In my opinion stock looks way better, but still.

jbx6owuwFYc7Bm.png

Fair enough. I didn't do it intentionally, though. I can't stand when they add a separate icon for "4G" though. I love how stock Android just adds the "4G" to the signal icon and doesn't show it at all if you're on wifi. Also, what's with the insistence on showing AM/PM? Isn't it rather obvious?

VanWinkle

Fair enough. I didn't do it intentionally, though. I can't stand when they add a separate icon for "4G" though. I love how stock Android just adds the "4G" to the signal icon and doesn't show it at all if you're on wifi. Also, what's with the insistence on showing AM/PM? Isn't it rather obvious?

Yeah it's pretty dumb.

I2wdtLK.png

I like having an exact battery percentage in my Notification bar. This is a huge improvement that TouchWiz makes over stock.

Also, this screen capture is completely disingenuous and misrepresents what is visible in the TouchWiz Notification bar. I don't have anywhere near half that in my Note II's bar.

I like having an exact battery percentage in my Notification bar. This is a huge improvement that TouchWiz makes over stock.
If there's a UI god, I hope he has mercy on humanity for our sins. "This is a huge improvement?" Those were your exact words and that's what you meant to say? Not, "it's somewhat more useful, although it's a stepping stone till the day I don't feel the need to obsessively check my battery level either because of personal betterment or because of improved battery technology?" Not, "I like the extra information, but I wish it was combined into a single, sleeker icon?" But you meant to say "This is a huge [editor's note: HUGE] improvement?" We're done, man. We're going to UI hell when it's all over. Skeumorphs, green Tron blocks, animated Under Construction sirens, 3D shading, the whole shebang.

If there's a UI god, I hope he has mercy on humanity for our sins. "This is a huge improvement?" Those were your exact words and that's what you meant to say? Not, "it's somewhat more useful, although it's a stepping stone till the day I don't feel the need to obsessively check my battery level either because of personal betterment or because of improved battery technology?" Not, "I like the extra information, but I wish it was combined into a single, sleeker icon?" But you meant to say "This is a huge [editor's note: HUGE] improvement?" We're done, man. We're going to UI hell when it's all over. Skeumorphs, green Tron blocks, animated Under Construction sirens, 3D shading, the whole shebang.

Cry moar.

For reference, this is the actual Notifications bar on my Note II when I've cleared all active notifications from it like SMS and missed call and stuff.

OH GOD NO TOUCHWIZ IS THE SPAWN OF SATAN AND NEEDS TO DIE IN A FIRE STOCK ANDROID 5EVER

mturco

Also, this screen capture is completely disingenuous and misrepresents what is visible in the TouchWiz Notification bar. I don't have anywhere near half that in my Note II's bar.

It's from a leaked screenshot of the S4 from a few weeks ago. Some of those icons are for features only the S4 currently has, so that's why you don't have them.

In any case, my point stands: it's uglier than stock and wastes more space. Having the exact percentage of battery life is definitely a legitimate preference, though, so I see your point there. (Thankfully most custom roms let you switch the icon to an actual percentage.)

Sense is the most offensive on a technical level, and on principle alone. Touchwiz is probably the ugliest visually.

This is of course not including all those random ugly skins from those random chinese companies or whatever.

BIGWORM

Sense is the most offensive on a technical level, and on principle alone. Touchwiz is probably the ugliest visually.

This is of course not including all those random ugly skins from those random chinese companies or whatever.

I actually don't mind MIUI (most notable Chinese overlay). Good theme support made it stand out, in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom