• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
The one thing i hate about the stock notification bar is how its all blue. If you want top use anything that's not blue as a wallpaper its just gunna clash.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait, green standing for battery good, yellow for battery not so good, and red for battery about to be dead is now vomit? Really?

...yes.

I like the Real Android way. Everything gray and blue unless OH SNAP IT'S ORANGE BATTERY'S LOW CRAP CRAP CRAP WHERE'S AN OUTLET

Or at least that's what I say whenever I see it on my GN.

Akira

But it looks like they added crap like polls and graphs. I would just keep it simply about messages and photos. One thing I wish iMessages has is a way to aggregate all your messaging networks like GroupMe, WhatsApp, etc. and have them go through your iMessage. If Google Babble has this feature, I'd be able to tolerate even the shitty Javascript apps of Google Wave.

so i was reading the GSM Arena HTC One review... and i get to this gem...

There's no way to change lockscreen shortcuts independently from the ones docked on the homescreen. Many users may find that inconvenient - LG and Samsung both let you do that.
Ladies and Gentlemen...

High Tech Computer Corporation

But it looks like they added crap like polls and graphs. I would just keep it simply about messages and photos. One thing I wish iMessages has is a way to aggregate all your messaging networks like GroupMe, WhatsApp, etc. and have them go through your iMessage. If Google Babble has this feature, I'd be able to tolerate even the shitty Javascript apps of Google Wave.

Those pics look so fake though, at least I hope so. The typo doesn't make it seem any realer :/

I actually kind of hope it's just like imessage, automatically detecting if someone you're texting is using an android phone and placing the convo in "babble" or whatever it's called. Would be nice though if you can include other chat clients.

Ladies and Gentlemen...

too busy needlessly changing app drawer format. You know you can't drag apps from the drawer onto the home screen? lol.

it gets better...

remember how they finally changed the recent apps from ridiculous to actually showing more than one app?

HTC has done well to remodel the task switching interface - recent apps are now displayed in a 3 x 3 grid of thumbnails, which makes way better use of all the available screen size and resolution. It's a single screen that cannot be scrolled, so nine of the most recently used apps is the most you can get.

though this is pretty nice! i don't get why that last line is a big deal, i mean, your phone gets email!

There's an interesting option in the phone's Security settings, borrowed from Windows Phone 8. It's called Kid mode and is actually an app that lets you set up a profile for each of your kids, with a photo and birthdate and pick which apps they can have access to. One annoying bit is that to enable Kid mode the first time around, you need to sign up via email.

Ladies and Gentlemen...

I got to the part where they mentioned the power button WAS STILL ON TOP and after that I pretty much gave up all hope for HTC. Do HTC's designers actually USE the devices they design? There's a reason the other manufacturers have moved the power button to the side of the phone! It's because the phones have gotten so big that reaching up to the top of the phone to turn the screen on is no longer feasible with one hand unless you're LeBron James!

I got to the part where the power button WAS STILL ON TOP and after that I pretty gave up all hope for HTC. Do HTC's designers actually USE the devices they design?
but where else would they put the IR Blaster if they couldn't hide it inside the power button?

meanwhile...

ea4bUAt.jpg

buhdeh

Lol holy shit. Verizon is on another level of shit tier when they can even ruin a 4G logo in the status bar. The 4G logo for the Rogers S3 in Canada just says LTE in the default S3 font.

Groof

Oh man, this sounds great. Now I need to find someone with a Note 2 to try this out!

Oh man, yes. I use so many different messaging apps that it seriously can't be good for my phone's battery life. And it's just annoying to go switch app every time. But I'm guessing some of the 3rd party chat apps wouldn't want their service to become aggregated like that (KakaoTalk/Line, perhaps).

Do a lot of people think TouchWiz is the worst UI overlay out of all of them?

Touchwiz needs to die in a fire. It's a horrible mismatch of elements drawn from iOS, Gingerbread and Holo. The notification shade and settings menu are the worst offenders.

I'm not sure if it's the worst overlay but it's close.

Groof

Touchwiz needs to die in a fire. It's a horrible mismatch of elements drawn from iOS, Gingerbread and Holo. The notification shade and settings menu are the worst offenders.

I'm not sure if it's the worst overlay but it's close.

Especially the one in Jelly Bean. No uniformity whatsoever.

Especially the one in Jelly Bean. No uniformity whatsoever.

And the problem is that both areas can't be changed without root. You can change the lock screen, you can change the launcher (and thus the app icons) and by doing so you can de-touchwiz large parts of the phone. But that notification shade is always there ruining the look by being ugly as fuck. Pretty sure the system fonts don't help either. And lets make this clear: I don't mind some of the extra functionality that touchwiz brings (though large swathes are uber gimmicky) it's purely the aesthetic. I'm not even against skins if they are visually appealing. But Touchwiz isn't. It's not even the launcher (which isn't that bad). It's mostly down to some of the iconography choices, the notification shade and settings. I can't remember what the app picker looks like, I'm presuming they've skinned that too.

I get that Touchwiz is now a branding thing for Samsung, so I'm not expecting them to go stock, I just want them to to do a better job of the UI. And the design of their hardware.

Groof

And the problem is that both areas can't be changed without root. You can change the lock screen, you can change the launcher (and thus the app icons) and by doing so you can de-touchwiz large parts of the phone. But that notification shade is always there ruining the look by being ugly as fuck. Pretty sure the system fonts don't help either. And lets make this clear: I don't mind some of the extra functionality that touchwiz brings (though large swathes are uber gimmicky) it's purely the aesthetic. I'm not even against skins if they are visually appealing. But Touchwiz isn't. It's not even the launcher (which isn't that bad). It's mostly down to some of the iconography choices, the notification shade and settings. I can't remember what the app picker looks like, I'm presuming they've skinned that too.

I get that Touchwiz is now a branding thing for Samsung, so I'm not expecting them to go stock, I just want them to to do a better job of the UI. And the design of their hardware.

Agreed 100%. Back when ICS was announced I was trying every single day to make my GS2 look like that without rooting and flashing because Touchwiz looked so amateurish in every single sense in comparison. Spent so much time on that until I eventually just rooted and flashed the device, which became even more time consuming because I went down this rabbit hole of rooting and flashing with every new nightly released.
The whole stylus and pressure sensitive screen of the Note has always been very appealing to me, but I could never bring myself to go for it just because of Touchwiz. I wouldn't be able to stand looking at that, and if one were to root you'd lose the functionality one buys it for in the first place.

Hopefully with Touchwiz 6 or whatever comes next they'll have taken a long, hard look at the UI design and brought it all together in a stylistic matter. But for now, stock4lyfe.

kinggroin

Banned
My biggest gripe with touchwiz is on a logical navigation level. Samsung has these giant screens, but doesnt take advantage of holo slide through screens navigation. You have to reach to each tab at the very to. Its lazy design and more offensive than the abomination of it's visual aesthetic.

mturco

Those pics look so fake though, at least I hope so. The typo doesn't make it seem any realer :/

I actually kind of hope it's just like imessage, automatically detecting if someone you're texting is using an android phone and placing the convo in "babble" or whatever it's called. Would be nice though if you can include other chat clients.

too busy needlessly changing app drawer format. You know you can't drag apps from the drawer onto the home screen? lol.
Yeah really hoping they're fake, especially considering how good looking every app Google has released in the last couple of months has been (though I guess most were iOS apps).

Also, are you serious about not being able to drop apps from the app drawer? Holy shit. How on earth do you do it then?!

I think we can all agree that Touchwiz is some grade A bullshit.
Yes. Just look at that quick settings page.

t not being able to drop apps from the app drawer? Holy shit. How on earth do you do it then?!
lol I think you have to pinch out the home screen, like when you want to add another home screen page, and then you can choose widgets, and there is also a section for apps that you can show and then you gotta put them from there. So dumb.

mturco

lol I think you have to pinch out the home screen, like when you want to add another home screen page, and then you can choose widgets, and there is also a section for apps that you can show and then you gotta put them from there. So dumb.

Dat innovation. Way to reinvent the wheel while making it waaay worse. This is exactly why an HTC-made Nexus would be great. Awesome hardware without HTC touching any of the software.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Agreed 100%. Back when ICS was announced I was trying every single day to make my GS2 look like that without rooting and flashing because Touchwiz looked so amateurish in every single sense in comparison. Spent so much time on that until I eventually just rooted and flashed the device, which became even more time consuming because I went down this rabbit hole of rooting and flashing with every new nightly released.
The whole stylus and pressure sensitive screen of the Note has always been very appealing to me, but I could never bring myself to go for it just because of Touchwiz. I wouldn't be able to stand looking at that, and if one were to root you'd lose the functionality one buys it for in the first place.

Hopefully with Touchwiz 6 or whatever comes next they'll have taken a long, hard look at the UI design and brought it all together in a stylistic matter. But for now, stock4lyfe.

My Note 1 worked with the stylus and pressure sensitivity when using CM.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I told myself I'd try and use Google Keep for a week and see how it goes. I mean actually use it to, and not just download it while saying I tried it out. So far so good (granted I never really used Evernote so Keep isn't replacing anything for me).

PS: Supposedly the CM shit for my phone over the DMCA takedown is close to being resolved. Hopefully we can start getting updates again by the end of this next week.

This must be the shit on TouchWiz page. Too bad Samsung can't hear you over the sounds of the dumptrucks full of money backing up to unload at their corporate HQ. 50 million Galaxy S III sold and counting.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This must be the shit on TouchWiz page. Too bad Samsung can't hear you over the sounds of the dumptrucks full of money backing up to unload at their corporate HQ. 50 million Galaxy S III sold and counting.

TouchWiz really is ugly though, especially at 320dpi. Functionally though it is almost as good as any CM I have ever used. It is just missing some customization of the quick toggles in the notification slider.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow.

I absolutely hate the Android 4.2 lockscreen. I had limited interaction with it on my N7, but on my GN it's detestable. Thanks for messing everything up, Duarte. The new slide-to-camera motion is BS and much harder to do. Awful.

JoeFu

Banned
Wow.

I absolutely hate the Android 4.2 lockscreen. I had limited interaction with it on my N7, but on my GN it's detestable. Thanks for messing everything up, Duarte. The new slide-to-camera motion is BS and much harder to do. Awful.

Yeah 4.2 killed the lockscreen and it sucks. I really really really hate the font they used for the 4.2 lockscreen. It's soooo bad.
At least Dashclock Widget makes it look a little bit nicer. Been using that since it was linked in whatever Android thread I saw it in.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lockscreen widgets are a potentially good concept that haven't been fully realized. I'm not a current fan of it but I can see myself enjoying it. I like the slick camera slide widget but it is definitely not as accurate as the previous Icon Selection.

Stuff like Dash Clock is great. I hope more clever ideas develop.

you don't lose the pressure sensitivity, you just lose the Samsung apps functionality.

mturco

I'm not really a fan of the direction they went in with the lockscreen, but to say it's terrible is ridiculous.

If Google had just basically built DashClock into Android (instead of allowing any widget on the lockscreen) and made it so any 3rd party app could plug into it, it would have been way cooler. That's kind of similar to how the iOS 6 lockscreen works, right? (I'm not super familiar with iOS.)

TouchWiz really is ugly though, especially at 320dpi. Functionally though it is almost as good as any CM I have ever used. It is just missing some customization of the quick toggles in the notification slider.

Customization of the Notifications pane toggles was added to the TouchWiz build used for Samsung's Android 4.2.2 release. The GS4 will be launching with 4.2.2, it's not clear at this time if the GS3 and N2 will receive 4.2.2 or not before the 5.0 upgrade.

I'm not really a fan of the direction they went in with the lockscreen, but to say it's terrible is ridiculous.

If Google had just basically built DashClock into Android (instead of allowing any widget on the lockscreen) and made it so any 3rd party app could plug into it, it would have been way cooler. That's kind of similar to how the iOS 6 lockscreen works, right? (I'm not super familiar with iOS.)
yeah it's similar. I agree they should have done that too. Wayyy better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom