• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturco

Oh, and they need to figure out a way to use the whole lockscreen without making you swipe up and then swipe to unlock. That's kind of ridiculous.

Hopefully they just rushed out the lockscreen stuff for 4.2 and 5.0 will be much better.

Given the amount of love, and extensions, that DashClock has attracted I'd be surprised if Google don't adopt it as the official 5.0 lockscreen.

Stock 4.2 lockscreen was such a letdown. For shame, Duarte, for shame!

mturco

Given the amount of love, and extensions, that DashClock has attracted I'd be surprised if Google don't adopt it as the official 5.0 lockscreen.

Stock 4.2 lockscreen was such a letdown. For shame, Duarte, for shame!

That's true, Google does a decent job of listening to what the community wants and eventually implementing it. Notification toggles is the main one that comes to mind.

There is potential for 5.0 to be a pretty significant upgrade. We'll see if they go all the way with it. I mean all their apps seem to be moving to one look. Wouldn't be surprised to see the whole OS start looking more like it. And then refine the lockscreen and all the other stuff, update all your apps. Could be a big one.

Curious to see if they treat it like a full number upgrade or it'll just be incremental refinements to a bunch of things.

mturco

Do we have definitive evidence it's actually going to be 5.0? According to Wikipedia, even the name Key Lime Pie is just a really popular rumored name. If it does turn out to be a full version upgrade (5.0), I would expect that they would introduce big new features (unified messaging, etc) and maybe just minor visual change. I mean ICS and JB both updated the UI quite a bit but there hasn't been a lot of functionality added in a while (expandable notifications in 4.1 is probably the biggest thing in a while).

I doubt they do 2 years straight of incremental .1 updates. ICS was the big one, JB refined it. I expect Key Lime Pie to show influence of the new direction they've taken across all their apps. Which is awesome really since they all look great. I think we'll see less of the tron look, more holo light.

Do we have definitive evidence it's actually going to be 5.0? According to Wikipedia, even the name Key Lime Pie is just a really popular rumored name. If it does turn out to be a full version upgrade (5.0), I would expect that they would introduce big new features (unified messaging, etc) and maybe just minor visual change. I mean ICS and JB both updated the UI quite a bit but there hasn't been a lot of functionality added in a while (expandable notifications in 4.1 is probably the biggest thing in a while).

I'm sure some third parties (Asus come to mind) have let slip the name through internal memos or off-the-cuff executive remarks.

Although with a new head of Android I think 6.0 is now the one to watch, that's where we'll see the new direction Android is being taken in.

Google knows the Android audio framework is broken and needs a complete rewrite. It's what is really killing gaming on Android and it also hurts music playback quality. I really hope this happens for KLP.

Kerrinck

My S2 is about to die so I am looking to get an upgrade.
Can anyone recommend a phone with great battery life? Currently deciding between HTC One X and Nexus 4.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can anyone recommend a phone with great battery life? Currently deciding between HTC One X and Nexus 4.

How soon do you need the phone? I am assuming you are on AT&T or are you international?

mturco

Neither of those have great battery life although between the two, the Nexus 4 would probably be better (and it's a better phone overall anyway). Recent Samsung phones typically have pretty good battery life. Avoid HTC as they're usually the worst (when it comes to battery life).

umm if it's only between those 2 then Nexus 4 shits on One X in terms of battery life.

Also the upcoming S4 will have better battery than both.

Kerrinck

Thanks for the replies.
Not on contract so I will be getting it unlocked from Amazon. Since they seem to be pretty popular and on the same price range, I was focusing mostly on these two but I would appreciate it if you guys have any other suggestion.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thanks for the replies.
Not on contract so I will be getting it unlocked from Amazon. Since they seem to be pretty popular and on the same price range, I was focusing mostly on these two but I would appreciate it if you guys have any other suggestion.

If you are getting a non contract phone then Nexus 4 or bust.

Thanks for the replies.
non contract = nexus 4 like brettison says, it's no contest.

Groof

If you're not a power user the Nexus 4's battery holds up incredibly well, actually. Now don't be expecting anything amazing, but it can easily managed a day and a half with limited use.

Apparently after the 4.2.2 update the Nexus 4 battery has gotten notably better. I think it went from 3h screentime to 4+.*

*obviously depends on use.

Groof

Apparently after the 4.2.2 update the Nexus 4 battery has gotten notably better. I think it went from 3h screentime to 4+.*

Yeah it did. I use my phone quite a lot and it used to be pretty much dead come evening. Now it always ends the day around 20-15% battery when I go to bed with pretty much the same usage. Of course this can vary depending on usage, some days more some days less.

giga

Wow.

I absolutely hate the Android 4.2 lockscreen. I had limited interaction with it on my N7, but on my GN it's detestable. Thanks for messing everything up, Duarte. The new slide-to-camera motion is BS and much harder to do. Awful.
Why are you getting 4.2 just now?

Mudkips

Banned
Cross posting from the Note 2 thread since I doubt this is Note 2 specific.

I get the following on my Note 2 when trying to search from Google Now or the default browser's address bar.

400. That’s an error.Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request. That’s all we know.

Any ideas? Happens on wifi and on ATT. Already tried clearing browser cache and data in the application manager. Search works if I request the desktop site, but I can't do that for Google Now.

Firefox seems to work fine. Search suggestions come through fine as well.

Are Micro sd slots going to become as rare as removeable batteries >_<?

Not as long as Samsung is still around giving people phones with features they want. I still don't understand how Samsung can sell over 50 million GSIIIs while everyone else struggles, amirite?! They're giving people things like removable batteries and microSD slots, but who wants that anyways?! I mean, their phones are made of plastic! PLASTIC! THE HORROR! NOBODY WANTS A PLASTIC PHONE! -Steve Jobs

they probably will. there are 4.2.x leaked builds for the GS3

That would be nice.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
4.2 lock screen on my tablet is great...just wish it was more widget options so i don't have to unlock it to see updates from non-supported apps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Not as long as Samsung is still around giving people phones with features they want. I still don't understand how Samsung can sell over 50 million GSIIIs while everyone else struggles, amirite?! They're giving people things like removable batteries and microSD slots, but who wants that anyways?! I mean, their phones are made of plastic! PLASTIC! THE HORROR! NOBODY WANTS A PLASTIC PHONE! -Steve Jobs

It would sell similarly without a removable battery or SD card slot. I bet most owners don't even use those two things.

this week on 'Samsung gonna samsung'

Xh4vI2h.jpg

in other news...

fpNzliQ.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KRyQNxGAVo

Had a play with an Xperia Z today. Dat screen.....

I hope Google hurry up with a 5-5.2" Full HD screen Nexus phone. And this time with a battery for power users, something that can rival a Note 2 would be nice.

It would sell similarly without a removable battery or SD card slot. I bet most owners don't even use those two things.

Pretty much, if people really cared about these things, Apple would be bankrupt for having a "shitty unfriendly closed OS with user unfriendly closed hardware". But they're still selling tons of hardware with huge profit margins that most consumer electronic companies wish they would have. It can't be all "marketing" because there has to be a degree of truth for marketing to actually work.

Really, the Galaxy S phones were the first Android phones that weren't utter shit and were comparable to the iPhone (in more ways than one :lol) in terms of appearance and overall usability. The Galaxy S2 simply capitalised on this. I mean christ look at all of the Gingerbread Motorola, HTC, and Sony phones during the S2's launch. They were all completely awful in more ways than one:
- Motorola phones never got updates, were underspecced, had laggy UI, and had awful screens (low resolution pentile LCD? seriously?)
- HTC kept pumping out phones faster than they could update and faster than people could remember. Sense was shit and the battery life was never great.
- The less said about Sony Ericsson's early efforts, the better.

Meanwhile Samsung finally put out a phone that was very affordable, had some effort into the UI, had decent battery life, and had a really decent screen considering the Android market at the time. The original Galaxy S was pretty much the first Android phone that I thought "wow Android is still shit but its not awful". Its no surprise that they got the mindshare pretty quick and established the Galaxy S line as the affordable reliable non-Apple option. When I mean Apple option, I mean a smartphone that is fundamentally sound.

This hasn't really changed: Motorola phones, besides that one with the huge battery, still suck in every way possible, Sony still has dysfunctional image compression, and HTC still hasn't fixed their battery problems and issues regarding software. When your competition can't even deal with these basic things, you don't have to do very much to own the Android crown.

Goddamn finally if Samsung does something regarding how Android deals with non-sRGB content. If that's the case, it'd be incredibly progressive of them. If that's not the case, then who cares. Its just another preset under the guise of professionalism.

Hmmm. I've never seen screentime of 4 hours, but I have a fair few things going on in the background. I consistently get 3 and a half hours screentime though and in one day that's absolutely plenty. Battery life is miles better than my G Nexus which would sometimes struggle to get 2 hours screentime on bad days. And I'd class myself as a power user.

This must be the shit on TouchWiz page. Too bad Samsung can't hear you over the sounds of the dumptrucks full of money backing up to unload at their corporate HQ. 50 million Galaxy S III sold and counting.

If the argument is that sales volume must mean Touchwiz is a UI skin that doesn't need improved, then the skeuomorphism in iOS is clearly the way to go.

Futureman

Really, the Galaxy S phones were the first Android phones that weren't utter shit and were comparable to the iPhone (in more ways than one :lol) in terms of appearance and overall usability.

meh. I don't think the original Galaxy phones were any better then the other top Android phones at the time. And Android becoming comparable to iPhone's usability really comes down to ICS IMO.

I'm inclined to agree but I think the Galaxy S was the first Android phone that I found that had some degree of UI smoothness. ICS is definitely the most significant Android update in my eyes though, no argument there.

Hmmm. I've never seen screentime of 4 hours, but I have a fair few things going on in the background. I consistently get 3 and a half hours screentime though and in one day that's absolutely plenty. Battery life is miles better than my G Nexus which would sometimes struggle to get 2 hours screentime on bad days. And I'd class myself as a power user.
I've seen it in the XDA battery thread for nexus 4, a lot of people with stock showing 4+ hours, but yeah it obviously depends on use and screen brightness and all that.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I'm actually pretty bummed about my most recent N4. The one previous had an amazing battery life. I was easily getting 4½ to 5½ hours of screen time and with this one I've been barely getting 4.

I've seen it in the XDA battery thread for nexus 4, a lot of people with stock showing 4+ hours, but yeah it obviously depends on use and screen brightness and all that.

True. I don't use auto brightness, I run at 50% the whole time. And if I disabled some background stuff I could probably make it last longer. As far as I'm concerned though, anything over 3 and a half hours is impressive for a smartphone given my level of usage. Especially as it's the best battery life I've had on any smartphone to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom