• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddamn finally if Samsung does something regarding how Android deals with non-sRGB content. If that's the case, it'd be incredibly progressive of them. If that's not the case, then who cares. Its just another preset under the guise of professionalism.

The S3 and Note 2 already had a setting that was really close.

So does anyone else find the whole x phone thing confusing. Google has been removing motorola bloat and their skin is already very close to stock, obviously google's influence. They've also picked up on that updating thing.

Also, the x phone will probably be the one that ships with key lime pie. Yet, we're probably going to have a Nexus 5 in October. So uhhh are they going to release a yearly phone as Motorola and sell it on the play store unlocked and all that, AND sell a nexus 5 in October? Why not just cut making Nexus phones and just do the motorola phone as your one nexus phone. Unless they're happy competing with themselves by using partnerships like the one they have with LG (who would likely make the Nexus 5).

Long story short, they should commit to one thing.

He didn't order a Nexus, though. ;)

Yeah, he'll actually be able to use his phone without killing the battery! I heard the Stamina mode on the Z/ZL is insane battery life.

So does anyone else find the whole x phone thing confusing. Google has been removing motorola bloat and their skin is already very close to stock, obviously google's influence. They've also picked up on that updating thing.

Also, the x phone will probably be the one that ships with key lime pie. Yet, we're probably going to have a Nexus 5 in October. So uhhh are they going to release a yearly phone as Motorola and sell it on the play store unlocked and all that, AND sell a nexus 5 in October? Why not just cut making Nexus phones and just do the motorola phone as your one nexus phone. Unless they're happy competing with themselves by using partnerships like the one they have with LG (who would likely make the Nexus 5).

The Nexus program is for their 3rd-party OEMs. From the beginning, Google has been committed to not competing with their OEMs and it seems they are going to honor that commitment, even if it means they are competing with themselves. They didn't acquire Motorola to make handsets after all, they did it to get their hands on Motorola's enormous patent portfolio. The only reason they didn't just shut the whole company down and keep the patents is that they do need to make some of that $12 billion back or investors would revolt. They know better than to piss off their OEMs, especially Samsung which is responsible for the vast majority of Android device sales.

Yeah, he'll actually be able to use his phone without killing the battery! I heard the Stamina mode on the Z/ZL is insane battery life.

The Nexus program is for their 3rd-party OEMs. From the beginning, Google has been committed to not competing with their OEMs and it seems they are going to honor that commitment, even if it means they are competing with themselves. They didn't acquire Motorola to make handsets after all, they did it to get their hands on Motorola's enormous patent portfolio. The only reason they didn't just shut the whole company down and keep the patents is that they do need to make some of that $12 billion back or investors would revolt. They know better than to piss off their OEMs, especially Samsung which is responsible for the vast majority of Android device sales.
but we ALL know google will start taking full control of motorola's pipeline and that will be their line into getting into the hardware business forreal. All signs are pointing to this.

I also think it's cute people truly believe google will uphold their honor. This company has no honor. I sort of get it now, they can't burn down any bridges because the x phone project hasn't taken off. I guess I kind of answered my own question. Best believe if it takes off though and becomes successful, they will nix the nexus program ASAP and start being like apple and samsung releasing one flagship a year.

Given that we are purely dealing in speculation right now, shouldn't we wait until we have something a little more solid? Motorola, whilst having never previously been owned by Google have made Google Experience Devices.

I think the Nexus program is about more than just releasing pure stock devices.

Given that we are purely dealing in speculation right now, shouldn't we wait until we have something a little more solid? Motorola, whilst having never previously been owned by Google have made Google Experience Devices.

I think the Nexus program is about more than just releasing pure stock devices.
what is it about? The whole point of the nexus program I thought was to create a new bar (which hasn't been the case since the nexus one I think) for all to match, and also to get developers devices to develop for. If Motorola will be the one releasing these devices then why do you need the nexus program.

I'm aware I answered that myself. They certainly can't take that step until their whole x phone project has actually succeeded because then they'd just fuck themselves. And yes yes of course this is all based on the speculation that google plans to take full control of motorola soon and release their own hardware with it. But it's not random speculation, they've basically implied that a few times. Especially when commenting that motorola's pipeline is not google quality and the whole 18 month pipeline thing. Combine that with the deletion of motoblur and the deletion of bloat. I mean the writing is on the wall on that front.

what is it about? The whole point of the nexus program I thought was to create a new bar (which hasn't been the case since the nexus one I think) for all to match, and also to get developers devices to develop for. If Motorola will be the one releasing these devices then why do you need the nexus program.

I'm aware I answered that myself. They certainly can't take that step until their whole x phone project has actually succeeded because then they'd just fuck themselves. And yes yes of course this is all based on the speculation that google plans to take full control of motorola soon and release their own hardware with it. But it's not random speculation, they've basically implied that a few times. Especially when commenting that motorola's pipeline is not google quality and the whole 18 month pipeline thing. Combine that with the deletion of motoblur and the deletion of bloat. I mean the writing is on the wall on that front.

Losing Motoblur doesn't necessarily mean that Motorola's phones will automatically be Nexus devices. I expect to see carriers still have some say in updates and software. Not unlike the Galaxy Nexus. Having learned from that farce I expect that going forward Nexus devices will be updated by Google and Google only.

As for what it is, partially I see it as giving OEMS a helping hand and put them in the spotlight. The Nexus One became The Desire. Samsung have done pretty well though they were probably already on an upward trajectory. Asus benefited from the Nexus 7 and now LG getting some love in the shape of the Nexus 4. So I see Nexus as helping to promote OEM's and to inspire them to raise their game.

Going forward I see the Nexus programme helping OEMs to up their game hardware wise. From the wireless charging, miricast technology and all glass design of the 4, to the insane screen of the Nexus 10. To keep pushing Android forward. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Losing Motoblur doesn't necessarily mean that Motorola's phones will automatically be Nexus devices. I expect to see carriers still have some say in updates and software. Not unlike the Galaxy Nexus. Having learned from that farce I expect that going forward Nexus devices will be updated by Google and Google only.

As for what it is, partially I see it as giving OEMS a helping hand and put them in the spotlight. The Nexus One became The Desire. Samsung have done pretty well though they were probably already on an upward trajectory. Asus benefited from the Nexus 7 and now LG getting some love in the shape of the Nexus 4. So I see Nexus as helping to promote OEM's and to inspire them to raise their game.

Going forward I see the Nexus programme helping OEMs to up their game hardware wise. From the wireless charging, miricast technology and all glass design of the 4, to the insane screen of the Nexus 10. To keep pushing Android forward. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.
Help who exactly? I'd be REALLY hard pressed to believe Samsung ever wants to do a nexus phone again. LG has started being more successful just before the Nexus 4, and in fact I don't see the nexus phone inspiring them in any way at all. In fact the only thing influencing anything LG does is Samsung. So which OEM is nexus helping exactly? HTC? lol. And that about sums it up. Only relevant players are samsung/LG/HTC/motorola/Sony. And we already know it's happening with Sony for whatever reason.

And 'm not saying no motoblur = stock. But you can't deny that there is a pattern here...first they get rid of motoblur, then they get rid of lot of the pointless motorola bloat apps in 4.1.2 update. Combine that with the comments made by google that motorola's phones aren't up to their standards. I think there is a clear direction here. It won't be long before the version of android running on a motorola phone will be the one considered "stock android".

I'm not seeing anyone influenced here. In fact the nexus brand seems pretty minuscule in comparison. Wireless streaming, higher resolutions, etc...why do they need nexus to know they have to do those things? They knew them the second apple did it years ago. What I'm getting at is the nexus brand used to mean something more than it means now. Combine that with the fact that it's becoming clear that google plans to utilize Motorola soon to make 100% their own phones. It won't be long before they have to make the decision to commit to that all the way, which was my original question. If they aren't committing to the x phone enough to drop the nexus 5, then what is the x phone and where will it stand?

Guess we find that out soon.

Help who exactly? I'd be REALLY hard pressed to believe Samsung ever wants to do a nexus phone again. LG has started being more successful just before the Nexus 4, and in fact I don't see the nexus phone inspiring them in any way at all. In fact the only thing influencing anything LG does is Samsung. So which OEM is nexus helping exactly? HTC? lol. And that about sums it up. Only relevant players are samsung/LG/HTC/motorola.

I think you've come up with some majorly revisionist history here. Which OEM has having a Nexus device helped? The HTC Desire was basically a Nexus One reskinned with sense and was the launch platform for making HTC one of the big names in the Android game. HTC have made some bad decisions after that, but the Desire helped them really put their name on the map and helped Android go mainstream (The G One was very much not a mainstream phone). The Nexus One set a baseline for a flagship handset of a 1ghz processor, 512mb ram and a screen resolution higher than that of the iPhone. Samsung weren't exactly struggling with the Galaxy Nexus, but that set a benchmark of a 720p screen, 1 GB ram and NFC (following on from the S) as standard. And they tried to do something a little different with the curved screen. It also set a new benchmark in software performance in ICS, a benchmark that all OEM's should aspire to, regardless of skin. The Nexus 7 helped Asus make a splash in the tablet world. It won device of the year across a large amount of publications and helped promote Nexus as a mainstream brand and Asus as a mainstream name for Android tablets at a mass market price point, not just for expensively priced Transformer devices. Until the Nexus 4 released all I heard around various forums was that LG made shit phones and that it would be a terrible idea for them to go with them for the next Nexus. I think that idea was dispelled by the release of the Nexus 4 and I'd be surprised if it wasn't their biggest selling Android phone yet.

In addition all the OEM's helping to build Android devices got early access to the next version of Android. Now what the OEM's choose to do after this is up to them. But I definitely think there is an advantage for OEM's in building Nexus devices. Samsung probably don't need any help right now as they're doing fine by themselves, but you can't say that for anyone else. Sony are just beginning to find their feet again, HTC have fucked up what could have been a huge marketshare in Android and LG + Motorola have very little mindshare (especially in Europe, where I'm writing this from). The very hint of a Nexus device and you've got press column after press column and with the success of the 4 and 7 guaranteed sales and interest from people who don't normally spend their time reading tech blogs. We can argue all day on how much the Nexus programme has helped OEM's because that's always going to be a little subjective without having intimate insider knowledge. But you can't suggest it doesn't help at all. And even the smallest amount of help is.... helpful!

And 'm not saying no motoblur = stock. But you can't deny that there is a pattern here...first they get rid of motoblur, then they get rid of lot of the pointless motorola bloat apps in 4.1.2 update. Combine that with the comments made by google that motorola's phones aren't up to their standards. I think there is a clear direction here. It won't be long before the version of android running on a motorola phone will be the one considered "stock android".

Even stock Android doesn't mean "Nexus". It just makes it a Google Experience Device.

I'm not seeing anyone influenced here. In fact the nexus brand seems pretty minuscule in comparison. Wireless streaming, higher resolutions, etc...why do they need nexus to know they have to do those things? They knew them the second apple did it years ago. What I'm getting at is the nexus brand used to mean something more than it means now. Combine that with the fact that it's becoming clear that google plans to utilize Motorola soon to make 100% their own phones. It won't be long before they have to make the decision to commit to that all the way, which was my original question. If they aren't committing to the x phone enough to drop the nexus 5, then what is the x phone and where will it stand?
Guess we find that out soon

They probably didn't need Nexus to do it, but rather than Google assuming that OEM's will go in that direction, they make it fairly obvious by releasing flagship devices that now say, this is the bare minimum of what to expect. NFC was one of those, using both software in ICS particularly and hardware. Now every flagship phone worth its salt has it built in. Miracast is in the same space NFC was a few years ago, as is wireless charging. I expect in a few years time it will be a baseline again. Ditto wireless charging. Google isn't simply waiting for others to lead, regardless of whether naturally it might go in that direction anyway. They want to be the first to shine the torch and make the expected standard blindingly obvious by doing so.

And as for the X-Phone stuff - We can't debate this properly until the phone is revealed. Sure there are lots of hints and a fair bit of conjecture but Motorola/Google will not make profit if they want to make just Nexus hardware devices using their current strategy of selling at cost price. That is where Motorola and the Nexus brand should differ. If Motorola want to be a big profitable name again they will have to work with carriers (as much as we might hate that) not against them. Because right now it's carriers who sell the bulk of mobile hardware. Not online shops. And until Google actually buy their own network then carriers will maintain control. And if Motorola are really lucky they'll be able to sell enough X-Phones to do a Samsung/Apple and maintain control of their own flagship device and branding down to release dates and being free of carrier bloat. Until then Motorola and Nexus should be distinct, separate brands.

what device should a developer own if they had to choose just one? a Nexus or a Samsung?

what device should a developer own if they had to choose just one? a Nexus or a Samsung?
that's another reason why the nexus brand is seeming less relevant. If you want to develop for the android masses then you develop for samsung.

Also there's no revisionist history. Nexus brand didn't do shit for HTC, didn't do shit for Samsung, LG was fine before it. But that's besides the point as what I'm saying is that the nexus brand is NOW less relevant. Even if it did help in the past. It's helping literally nobody right now. Not a single OEM is being helped by it. In fact the only person that was helped by Nexus, or at least helped the most was google. It allowed them to showcase their own software on good hardware....which they'll be able to continue doing with Motorola.

And you keep straw manning my post, first you say no motoblur isn't nexus, I didn't say it was, you say stock isn't even nexus, I never said it was. And you're telling me a stock android motorola phone sold unlocked at the play store isn't a developer phone like nexus is? Then what the fuck is it. Cuz that's exactly what nexus is.

I'm saying if google releases their own phone, owned 100% by themselves, it runs stock nexus, and a version of it is sold unlocked on the play store...that to me sounds like a nexus phone. That to me sounds like there's no reason for the nexus phone to exist any more. And honestly considering all the troubles they had with the nexus 4, I doubt the phone was a big priority for LG.

that's another reason why the nexus brand is seeming less relevant.

Also there's no revisionist history. Nexus brand didn't do shit for HTC, didn't do shit for Samsung, LG was fine before it. But that's besides the point as what I'm saying is that the nexus brand is NOW less relevant. Even if it did help in the past. It's helping literally nobody right now. Not a single OEM is being helped by it.

And you keep straw manning my post. And you're telling me a stock android motorola phone sold unlocked at Motorola isn't a developer phone like nexus is? Then what the fuck is it. Cuz that's exactly what nexus is.

I think you are confusing "help" with "rescue". I never stated that Nexus phones were just there to rescue OEM's. If you don't think the Nexus One helped HTC or Asus didn't do well out of the Nexus 7 or that LG aren't doing well out of the Nexus 4, then you aren't making a whole lot of sense. If Google said to me, we'll contract you to make a phone, but we'll subsidise you to make it and we'll do all your marketing for you and update the software... how's that not helpful? You get the profit without doing most of the work? Sounds pretty helpful to me...

Motorola need to make profit. Google might occasionally subsidise Nexus devices for other OEM's to sell them at cost, but I don't think they want to take the hit long term for running Motorola at a loss. To make a profit you have to work with the carriers. And the Nexus brand and carriers don't mix well. GED and Nexus aren't the same thing and shouldn't be confused as such. Yes, potentially Motorola might sell unlocked phones via the Play Store but right now that's a big giant rumour. Nothing more.

And you are saying the Nexus brand is less relevant now? It's never been more relevant with the Nexus 7 and Nexus 4.

I don't believe that for a second, look at who they have hired from the NY times article below you don't need such people if your plan is just to gut the company live off patents and make a pittance.

I think you are confusing "help" with "rescue". I never stated that Nexus phones were just there to rescue OEM's. If you don't think the Nexus One helped HTC or Asus didn't do well out of the Nexus 7 or that LG aren't doing well out of the Nexus 4, then you aren't making a whole lot of sense. If Google said to me, we'll contract you to make a phone, but we'll subsidise you to make it and we'll do all your marketing for you and update the software... how's that not helpful? You get the profit without doing most of the work? Sounds pretty helpful to me...

Motorola need to make profit. Google might occasionally subsidise Nexus devices for other OEM's to sell them at cost, but I don't think they want to take the hit long term for running Motorola at a loss. To make a profit you have to work with the carriers. And the Nexus brand and carriers don't mix well. GED and Nexus aren't the same thing and shouldn't be confused as such. Yes, potentially Motorola might sell unlocked phones via the Play Store but right now that's a big giant rumour. Nothing more.

And you are saying the Nexus brand is less relevant now? It's never been more relevant with the Nexus 7 and Nexus 4.
but everything I'm saying is based on the rumour, and the rumour isn't completely unfounded. Google has implied they plan to take control of Motorola and release google quality hardware. They've also clearly heavily influenced the direction of Motorola's software on their phones.

And no I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's less relevant to OEMs. The Nexus 7 did well, but it's fucking small potatoes compared to the ipad. It isn't breaching shit. And same goes for the nexus 4, it's doing well, it's a steal for the price, but ultimately they are making ZERO dents. Both are making just about zero headway in their respective games relative to the competition. Even the nexus 7. It's still very much an ipad market and not a tablet market.

And so far everything we're hearing seems to be lining up with Motorola still operating as usual. We heard pretty safe rumours that they will be releasing a phone on ATT and other carriers (might be part of that 18 month pipeline). The ones with the codenames Ghost and Yeti. Yet the apparent word is none of those are the x phone. All I'm saying is if those phones are released in carriers, and on top of that google releases their own motorola phone in the play store separate from that and unlocked, then what is the point of the nexus phone any more. Google can finally take control of their future and put it in their own hands, which is what they want of course. I'm sure the heads at google would murder 10 men to have their own phone be as popular as the galaxy devices. And again, of course all this is rumours so far, and we'll see soon. I suspect we'll see what their intentions are very soon, but all I'm saying is not a word of it is far fetched or ridiculous. In fact, it almost makes too much sense, which I guess is why none of it will be true :p

The S3 and Note 2 already had a setting that was really close.

So called colour accuracy or proper colour management? Because you're still mapping wide gamut colours over sRGB content. Android doesn't have a colour management system so you get issues like this.

Anandtech did a proper display review of it taking into account that literally everything (like the internet) is sRGB.

So called colour accuracy or proper colour management? Because you're still mapping wide gamut colours over sRGB content. Android doesn't have a colour management system so you get issues like this.

Anandtech did a proper display review of it taking into account that literally everything (like the internet) is sRGB.

just accuracy

Then who cares, that Adobe RGB setting is meaningless.

Edit:
Which is to say, leave phone at natural and call it a day because it best emulates sRGB.

but everything I'm saying is based on the rumour, and the rumour isn't completely unfounded. Google has implied they plan to take control of Motorola and release google quality hardware. They've also clearly heavily influenced the direction of Motorola's software on their phones.

I'm not arguing with any of what you are saying. But its still that. Rumour. Lets bookmark this page and once we have a clearer idea of what Motorola's strategy is we'll see. But I'll put money on the X-Phone being released by carriers with carrier say so on software updates. After the Verizon farce with the Galaxy Nexus, that's not where a Nexus phone should be and that influenced the Nexus 4 heavily.

And no I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's less relevant to OEMs. The Nexus 7 did well, but it's fucking small potatoes compared to the ipad. It isn't breaching shit. And same goes for the nexus 4, it's doing well, it's a steal for the price, but ultimately they are making ZERO dents. Both are making just about zero headway in their respective games relative to the competition. Even the nexus 7. It's still very much an ipad market and not a tablet market.

Actually android tablet shipments if they haven't already overtaken iPad shipments will do so this year. The Nexus 7 beating the iPad isn't what Google was looking to achieve with the release of just one tablet. Are Android tablet sales in a better space because of the Nexus 7? Undoubtedly. So was it helpful to release the devices? Erm, yes. If a tablet doesn't beat the iPad for sales (or even come that close) it doesn't make it irrelevant or not worth doing. I'm fairly sure that the Nexus 7 is the best selling Android tablet ever. That's relevancy right there.

And so far everything we're hearing seems to be lining up with Motorola still operating as usual. We heard pretty safe rumours that they will be releasing a phone on ATT and other carriers (might be part of that 18 month pipeline). The ones with the codenames Ghost and Yeti. Yet the apparent word is none of those are the x phone. All I'm saying is if those phones are released in carriers, and on top of that google releases their own motorola phone in the play store separate from that and unlocked, then what is the point of the nexus phone any more. Google can finally take control of their future and put it in their own hands, which is what they want of course. I'm sure the heads at google would murder 10 men to have their own phone be as popular as the galaxy devices. And again, of course all this is rumours so far, and we'll see soon. I suspect we'll see what their intentions are very soon, but all I'm saying is not a word of it is far fetched or ridiculous. In fact, it almost makes too much sense, which I guess is why none of it will be true :p

Lets bookmark and come back. I'll plainly describe what I expect to be the case:

- I expect the X-Phone to be GED and not Nexus.

- I expect the X-Phone to be available on Carriers with carriers having some control.

- I'm 50/50 on whether it will be on the Play Store. I'm fence sitting on that one.

- I expect the X Phone to run on the newest version of Android out of the box.

- I expect Motorola to promise swift updates to new versions of Android, but due to carriers that will not be completely in their hands.

- I expect that it will not be a revolutionary device like we hope, but mostly an iterative device with excellent hardware that is a slight step on from the S4/HTC One, but marginal at best.

I agree with most of that. IF you've read most of my posts regarding the x phone, I've been the one person the most down on it. I think it's just going to be a glorified version of motorola's next flagship. Something along that line. BUT, if there is a version of it released unlocked on the play store then I think it'll be a hint of what is definitely coming for Motorola.

But yeah we'll see. I think they're still getting rid of the shitty pipeline motorola had, but after this year it's no excuses. I do think this version of the x phone will tell us though what google's plans are for the future.

Cipherr

So which OEM is nexus helping exactly?

Asus.

You are operating under the assumption that the Nexus program does zero for the OEM's. We know that to be completely false after the Nexus 7 and the benefits it provided for Asus.

I agree with most of that. IF you've read most of my posts regarding the x phone, I've been the one person the most down on it. I think it's just going to be a glorified version of motorola's next flagship.

I wish you would stop saying this as if you are a sage. This is not a guess nor a situation for you to prepare a "I Called it!" moment, Google has already all but confirmed that this is the case. We already know that its just Motorolas next flagship with a tiny bit of Google influence, you aren't exactly putting yourself out there by 'predicting' whats already known to be fact.

I wish you would stop saying this as if you are a sage. This is not a guess nor a situation for you to prepare a "I Called it!" moment, Google has already all but confirmed that this is the case. We already know that its just Motorolas next flagship with a tiny bit of Google influence, you aren't exactly putting yourself out there by stating whats already known to be fact.
hey don't look at me. Rumours seem to be saying otherwise. And pctx says otherwise as well. So every time someone posted a rumour saying it'll be this and that, I just repeat that to keep expectations in check. Not acting like a sage. And google didn't really say that. They said they were working with a shitty pipeline but it was unclear if that was over or if the x phone is even included in that. The latest rumours showed motorola's next flagship and low end coming to multiple carriers, but it was also said that NONE of those were this so called x phone. So it could be something happening in parallel with that shitty pipeline.

Asus.

You are operating under the assumption that the Nexus program does zero for the OEM's. We know that to be completely false after the Nexus 7 and the benefits it provided for Asus.
what benefits? the shit barely sold for a profit and it didn't even make the slightest dent in the market overall. It was a minor success when you compare it to other android tablets. That isn't saying SHIT because other android tablets sold like shit. Against the ipad? Straight garbage sales and minimal profit line. What was so good about that?

Cipherr

what benefits? the shit barely sold for a profit and it didn't even make the slightest dent in the market overall.

Except, it actually was profitable for Asus. The party that actually eats the shakedown in profits on Nexus devices isn't the OEM, its Google.

http://www.zdnet.com/asus-q3-pc-notebooks-nexus-7-tablet-sales-boost-profits-7000006613/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/asustek-q3-net-profits-up-43-percent/

www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/asustek-q3-net-profits-up-43-percent/

http://malaysiantechnology.wordpres...-profit-for-asus-with-strong-nexus-7-sales-2/

Taiwanese company ASUS achieved its biggest quarterly revenue in more than four years with a net profit of worth $230 million in Q3 2012.

According to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ), the company has made a 43% jump in earnings as compared with $160 million in the year 2011. The gross profit of the company also raised by 9% to $3.8 billion, which is a result of ASUS’s successful range of mobile computing devices this year.

Gartner, an information technology research and advisory firm, has ranked ASUS as the fifth largest player in the market in its preliminary estimates for the PC market share in Q3 2012. The reason being the increase in PC shipment by 11.8 percent. The tablet devices of the firm also added to the healthy financial result. The chief Financial Officer of ASUS, David Chang, revealed that sales of the 7-inch are reaching one million units per month.He said that, in the beginning, the sales were for instance 500K units per month which rose to 600K and then may be 700K. And, in the latest month, it was close to 1 million.

Go and have a look at Asus's financials following the N7 launch, and read their interviews where they detail the driving force behind their spike in profits last year. The N7 was a huge part of that.

There's a lot of room for success and profits between the lows of "failure" and the highs of "iPad numbers". And you aren't accounting for any of it. You wanted to know who the Nexus programs benefit. Its the OEM's. You don't get to pretend that the success it brought Asus doesn't 'count' because it only earned them millions in profit which isn't industry leading compared to iPad profits.

It helped Asus a lot. And I would wager they would be more than interested in doing another Nexus tablet, even if some of the other OEM's weren't.

I never said it wasn't profitable. I said it's minimal profit. Their entire company only made 229 million in profit the quarter after the nexus 7 was launched I believe.

That number is a joke. And that's not JUST nexus 7 profit. That was their whole company. We don't know how much of that was their windows computers/tablets. I'm sure Asus is somewhat pleased by that but giving Asus some slight profits isn't really an achievement worthy of keeping the nexus brand alive when google no longer needs it (assuming we reach that point), which by the way is my entire point.

edit: also I never said companies wouldn't want to do them (except samsung, phone wise lol). I said GOOGLE wouldn't want to do them if they didn't have to. And what I'm arguing is that if they ever reached the point where they didn't have to, they'd drop it like a fly. I think google benefits the most from any of these partnerships, not the other way around. Even the Asus one I think google benefited more. But if we reach a moment in time where they no longer need the help....

ASUS is a company that is almost entirely in commodity markets. A $229 million profit is a big profit for a company like theirs.
it's not a nexus 7 profit though. They sell computers and windows tablets at a much higher profit margin. Wouldn't be surprised if a ton of that 229 is from those. And like I just said. My point is google would drop it if they didn't need it.

I feel like people are picking apart certain points without looking at the overall context of the point I'm trying to make. And that is, if google ever reached the point where they didn't need the nexus brand, I don't see why they'd keep it around, or why they even should. Of course I'm talking mostly about smartphones, not tablets. As you can see from all my previous posts. They're still far far far away from EVER being self sufficient in the tablet game. They don't have anything remotely close to the means.

Smartphones are a different story though. Did anyone read my original post? I said if google was successful with releasing their own line of smartphones using motorola. Why would they keep the nexus phone alive? Original Thinking I know read my post.

Does the Gmail app chug like a mother fucker for anyone else when typing or reading a semi long email? Scrolling through an email is really slow. The text is blurry as if its loading or rendering for a second when scrolling.

Nexus 4 on 4.2.2

After typing a few paragraphs it starts to lag.

I'm pretty tired of waiting for a phone. Can't even tell you guys how many times the past month I almost just said screw it and bought a Nexus 4 lol.

I'm pretty tired of waiting for a phone. Can't even tell you guys how many times the past month I almost just said screw it and bought a Nexus 4 lol.
Still waiting? Lol I remember you trying to buy a nexus at launch with all the bullshit. Think you cancelled your order after all the delays or something. Weren't you going to buy the
Xperia? Buy something already!

Still waiting? Lol I remember you trying to buy a nexus at launch with all the bullshit. Think you cancelled your order after all the delays or something. Weren't you going to buy the
Xperia? Buy something already!
Hahaha, even if I wanted the xperia it's not available for another week at my carrier. And I don't even know what I want any more. I'm a fickle whore. I decided on the S4 for good battery life mostly, but jeeeesus waiting until the end of april at the least is feeling like forever considering how long I've waited.

My current line of thought is get the S4 then sell it when the Nexus 5 comes out and get that. But I change my mind every other day.

I don't believe that for a second, look at who they have hired from the NY times article below you don't need such people if your plan is just to gut the company live off patents and make a pittance.

They bought Motorola for the patents. Why else would they have outsourced Motorola's manufacturing and fired tons of Motorola employees? Chromebook Pixel and Nexus Q are proof that Google has no need for Motorola other than patents.

[Breaking] Steve Kondik (Cyanogen) Leaves Samsung After Less Than Two Years On The Job

I got to spend some quality time with the S4 (final hardware) before I left Samsung.

There are a number of unique features that have a lot of potential (assuming Samsung is opening up an API for them) such as the touchscreen which can register "hover" events, and an IR blaster. Benchmarks put this device FAR above the competition (40K on Quadrant CPU) and there should be no reason why it won't run your favorite apps flawlessly.

I'll probably be picking up the T-Mobile variant when they hit the shelves, assuming they don't lock the bootloaders or something silly and self-defeating like that. Since it's powered by Snapdragon, CM should work wonderfully on it :)

just quoting bits that interested me.

bolded sounds ominous... no CM for Octa?

Al-ibn Kermit

Anybody else have an Asus tablet with unusually high battery usage by the wifi? If I have wifi on, it starts becoming like 2/3 of the power usage. I'm guessing some app is continuously updating or something but I don't know how to check that. This is one of those transformer tablets so it has some Asus apps preinstalled that may be responsible.

giga

[Breaking] Steve Kondik (Cyanogen) Leaves Samsung After Less Than Two Years On The Job

just quoting bits that interested me.

bolded sounds ominous... no CM for Octa?

TouchWiz has become a bit more consistent with the latest upgrade. There are no more jarring mismatches in different parts of the OS, and it's been lightened up a bit and has a clean "flat" feel. Unfortunately, it feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days. Say goodbye to all of the nice touch-friendly ViewPagers and say hello again to a fully tabbed UI. You'll also enjoy the seemingly endless onslaught of popup windows and modal "Loading..." dialogs. UI performance is average. It's better and worse at the same time, depending on your viewpoint I suppose.
Even Samsung employees hate TouchWiz.

Zeppu

You mean the guy who got a job at Samsung for the exposure he got for a project with the aim of bringing stock Android to all devices didn't like skins? God I'm so surprised.

Groof

I think this has less to do with hating Touchwiz, which he probably always has, and more about the complete 180 it took with its design decisions. Touchwiz was bearable to an extent before, but now it just seems outright stupid, because they're basically going back to square one with some of the choices they made. That's probably the straw that broke the camel's back and/or face.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
New round of X Phone rumors or why did you have to go and get banned again PCTX?!?!

m.androidauthority.com/google-x-phone-rumor-4-8-inch-sapphire-display-qualcomm-snapdragon-800-4000mah-battery-november-launch-177568/

Today’s report says that the X Phone will arrive at some point in November, in time for the holiday season – not June or July as previous rumors have suggested – and that the handset will feature some high-end features including a 4.8-inch display protected by sapphire glass instead of good old Gorilla Glass, a 2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor and a 4000mAh battery.

The X Phone will be water resistant and it will sport a carbon fiber back case, with rubber bumpers placed in its corners.

Naturally, none of these details can be confirmed at this time, so keep holding on to that grain of salt until we have something official for you.

Interestingly, the report doesn’t say anything about customizable hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom