• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why the hell are there so many Nexus 5 rumors? Where are they coming from? It's ridiculous. We didn't hear about the next Nexus until two-three months out. These rumors 9 months out are absurd.

Click bait.

Nicktendo86

Why the hell are there so many Nexus 5 rumors? Where are they coming from? It's ridiculous. We didn't hear about the next Nexus until two-three months out. These rumors 9 months out are absurd.

Click bait.
Probably. Come on Google, do a phablet like n5 and have it out in may alongside the n4/ n7/ n10 so I can upgrade sooner!

Tacitus_

You'd be better off trying to get it from the UK play store and sending it to some mail forwarding service in the UK, I think. I couple of friends of mine did just that and they got it for €350 each.

Maybe, but it's easier to get a relative to do it. Besides, on the current rates 330$ (she said it had 10% tax) only goes to 256€ so I'd need to rack almost a hundred in shipping to make up for that.

Futureman

That is a lot. Remove the account then add it again, that has worked for some people in the past.

hmmm, I removed the account, so now there is NO Exchange account on my phone. I then rebooted, and it's still listing "Exchange Services" at 42% under battery. I have always had sync set to off on this account.

I wonder if it's some bug w/ Verizon's 4.2.2?

I really like that Nexus rumor as long as it has 4G. 4.5" screen sounds about perfect and a focus on battery life is SORELY needed on the Nex. Though I guess the Nexus 4 works on T-Mobile's 4G? When my GNex Verizon contract is up, I may switch to that (June 2014).

Yeah I wouldn't believe any nexus rumour this far out unless it was from an extremely credible source, and even then I wouldn't buy it much.

But the x phone rumours are on time. If the phone really will be announced and released within the next 2 months ish, shit should start leaking heavy soon.

buhdeh

Why does the G+ app not have a slide to open menu/drawer? And why does the action bar slide as well? I thought the Android guidelines were to have the action bar static and the menu to slide sideways underneath it?

hmmm, I removed the account, so now there is NO Exchange account on my phone. I then rebooted, and it's still listing "Exchange Services" at 42% under battery. I have always had sync set to off on this account.

I really like that Nexus rumor as long as it has 4G. 4.5" screen sounds about perfect and a focus on battery life is SORELY needed on the Nex. Though I guess the Nexus 4 works on T-Mobile's 4G? When my GNex Verizon contract is up, I may switch to that (June 2014).

Did you recharge the battery? The stat will stay as it has used up that amount.

There were issues with exchange on 4.2.1 for non-Verizon Nexus phones as well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why does the G+ app not have a slide to open menu/drawer? And why does the action bar slide as well? I thought the Android guidelines were to have the action bar static and the menu to slide sideways underneath it?

Agreed. It's obnoxious.

Cipherr

That X phone render is consistent with another one that was floating around a while back. There may be some merit to it, can't be sure though.

But the rumors are getting a little ridiculous. A new one every day.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I want to like Google+, but it is so hard for me to care about social networks that my actual friend base doesn't use.

That or doesn't have a ton of meaningful content from all kinds of different people.

I had a customer last week with the same exchange bug on her S3, on a Canadian carrier. 47% usage.

She was pissed.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I want to like Google+, but it is so hard for me to care about social networks that my actual friend base doesn't use.

That or doesn't have a ton of meaningful content from all kinds of different people.

I'm actually glad I don't have many of my friends on G+. Considering the amount of boring useless crap they post on Facebook, it's nice to have that segregated away from G+ which I use to mainly follow cool scientists that post neat stuff. That said, I still don't use G+ all that much.

Vanillalite

I'm actually glad I don't have many of my friends on G+. Considering the amount of boring useless crap they post on Facebook, it's nice to have that segregated away from G+ which I use to mainly follow cool scientists that post neat stuff. That said, I still don't use G+ all that much.

That's sort of what I use twitter for. Most of my friends don't use Twitter, and I mainly use it to follow people/organizations I think are interesting or what info from. Plus it's good for customer service needs. Facebook is my goto spot since that's what my friends use, and lets be honest it's like the only really widespread service most people that are of the female gender use. LOL

I have a similar problem with App.net. None of my friends post on there, and there isn't any really good meaningful info. It's like 90/10 dudes to chicks, and like 99% developers either talking about App.Net and/or their own developer stuff.

Divvy

That's sort of what I use twitter for. Most of my friends don't use Twitter, and I mainly use it to follow people/organizations I think are interesting or what info from. Plus it's good for customer service needs. Facebook is my goto spot since that's what my friends use, and lets be honest it's like the only really widespread service most people that are of the female gender use. LOL

I have a similar problem with App.net. None of my friends post on there, and there isn't any really good meaningful info. It's like 90/10 dudes to chicks, and like 99% developers either talking about App.Net and/or their own developer stuff.

I used to use twitter for that too, but then I found that even people I'm interested in hearing about tend to post way too much useless crap on twitter so I would end up having to wade through tweet after tweet of inane crap to get to the good stuff. The ones I follow on G+ tend to only really post when they have some meaningful stuff to say.

gcubed

well shit, if G+ has low mindshare, app.net is below mating habits of crabs.

mturco

New nexus 5 rumour: SMALLER screen (4.5 inches), big battery and nice camera. If true I would like this
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-5-4-5-inch-720p-display-2800mah-battery-9mp-ccd-camera-177726/
Best rumor I've heard in a looong time. 4.5 is like my ideal screen size and smallest bezel on a phone yet sounds awesome. 720p doesn't bother me much and it comes with the benefit of better battery life and probably smoother performance since it's rendering a fraction of the pixels a 1080p phone is. Would buy if real.

Vanillalite

well shit, if G+ has low mindshare, app.net is below mating habits of crabs.

G+ has low MEANINGFUL mindshare. FB has the highest mindshare. G+ has more users than Twitter, but Twitter still has more meaningful mindshare at this point. Then you have things with targeted mindshare like Pintrest.

I still don't know what app.net is. Then again, I don't even have a G+ account, so what do I know?

Yes you do. You just don't chose to use it, but you have one. Basically every one with a Google account has one.

Divvy

Is this SERIOUSLY the font for the settings panel on the galaxy tabs?

HuXDtSP.png

Nicktendo86

Best rumor I've heard in a looong time. 4.5 is like my ideal screen size and smallest bezel on a phone yet sounds awesome. 720p doesn't bother me much and it comes with the benefit of better battery life and probably smoother performance since it's rendering a fraction of the pixels a 1080p phone is. Would buy if real.
Same here, deffo think there is a market for this type of device.

Groof

Is this SERIOUSLY the font for the settings panel on the galaxy tabs?

HuXDtSP.png

Don't Galaxy devices have like three different system fonts to choose from? One of them is an abomination of a font that looks something like that (which, by the way, is very popular in Korea).

Vanillalite

On a side note I really like Google 2 Step Authentication for security purposes, but damn can it be a pain in the arse sometimes.

mturco

How so? I hardly ever encounter it once its set up. Or are you talking about the set up process itself?

I don't know if this is what he's talking about, but if you install custom ROMs often, it's a huge pain to sign in to your Google account every time, especially if it's your phone that you're installing the ROM on.

Vanillalite

How so? I hardly ever encounter it once its set up. Or are you talking about the set up process itself?

More in terms of non Android related stuff. Application specific passwords can be a pain in the arse to setup, and some desktop programs don't always work well in conjunction with those anyways. Plus they don't have native 2 step support. Just can be a pain.

Don't Galaxy devices have like three different system fonts to choose from? One of them is an abomination of a font that looks something like that (which, by the way, is very popular in Korea).

yeah, there's a choice of 3 or 4. you can add additional fonts too via their flipfont support.

Speak for yourself. I'd gladly trade 1080p for better battery life, better performance, and a smaller phone.

except you don't get the better battery life or performance because the bigger devices get the better SoCs and bigger batteries and end up having better battery life because of it. but hey, you can still get a smaller mid-range phone.

They bought Motorola for the patents. Why else would they have outsourced Motorola's manufacturing and fired tons of Motorola employees? Chromebook Pixel and Nexus Q are proof that Google has no need for Motorola other than patents.

All I am saying is you don't hire the people referenced in this article for a dead company
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/13/technology/motorola-to-cut-20-of-work-force-part-of-sweeping-change.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1364170094-y6cinP4WF/vDo88MrdVLDQ

Former head of DARPA for a company you want to wind down, looks to me that they want to do something. I think its more research and development than same patent protection or they are trying to be innovative in some way with the material scientists/ engineers and the like. Maybe just another "moon shoot"

Ps love the new Google+ and chrome is a much better browser than stock but it kills my battery for some weird reason drains much faster on chrome than stock android browser. Anyone know why? Still slow too.

mturco

except you don't get the better battery life or performance because the bigger devices get the better SoCs and bigger batteries and end up having better battery life because of it. but hey, you can still get a smaller mid-range phone.

Wait when did we stop talking about a hypothetical Nexus phone? I completely agree that's how it actually is right now, but there's no reason they couldn't put the exact same SoC in a smaller phone, and if they did, it would absolutely get better battery life and perform better.

What if I want a 4" 1080p phone?

in a few years when 4k phones are high end i'm sure there will be some 1080p 4" mid rangers powered by Qualcomm's tier 2 SoC.

Wait when did we stop talking about a hypothetical Nexus phone? I completely agree that's how it actually is right now, but there's no reason they couldn't put the exact same SoC in a smaller phone, and if they did, it would absolutely get better battery life and perform better.

when did we start? as for why they won't and/or don't? i dunno, it would be interesting to see if/how they sell. i think companies fear they won't sell much more than if they just mid-ranged the device instead.

mturco

when did we start? as for why they won't and/or don't? i dunno, it would be interesting to see if/how they sell. i think companies fear they won't sell much more than if they just mid-ranged the device instead.

Like a page ago lol. Anyway, I'm just saying I want a smaller high end phone and I'd be willing to give up 1080p to do it. I'm aware that all high end phones are huge (that's why I still have my GNexus, which is already too big).

RM8

Is this the right thread to ask for a phone recommendation?

I own and love a Lumia 800, but sadly as much as I love WP the app ecosystem is pitiful and I end up wanting a ton of of apps that I have on my Android tablet on my phone. So basically I want something small, nice looking and good for gaming. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! There are lots of Android phones and I really don't know where to start.

DXPett1

Because horizontal slide is used to flick through multiple pictures in a post

My G+ habits mostly revolve around Ingress these days. Otherwise its pretty similar to Twitter/Facebook with a sprinkle of Android only stuff (like Photosphere, Android communities)

Is this the right thread to ask for a phone recommendation?

I own and love a Lumia 800, but sadly as much as I love WP the app ecosystem is pitiful and I end up wanting a ton of of apps that I have on my Android tablet on my phone. So basically I want something small, nice looking and good for gaming. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! There are lots of Android phones and I really don't know where to start.
nexus 4, has no LTE though. you're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom