• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand, it only really works well on the N4 and N7

It works great on the N4, less so on the N7. The current rule of thumb is this. The better the CPU/GPU you have the better it will run. So if you have an HTC One, Galaxy S4, etc etc then it'll run fine. Stick it on something with a single core and it will chug.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nexus 8, body of a Nexus 7 but with an 8" screen.
I'd happily trade if it happened.

And I've said this before, but keep the body the same (well, feel free to make it thinner ASUS) and replace all the bezel with screen space. I just bought my 7 last fall though so I probably won't be upgrading for a couple years myself.

I'm hoping they up the screen size a notch on the N7 mk2, maybe a 7.7" screen, but in the same size body. Oh, and 1080p to boot.

I'd be down with this. Keep roughly the same overall device size, but increase the screen size and decrease the bezel. Works for me!

Vanillalite

Better resolution (gotta hit that 300ppi) and more internal storage would be appreciated as well...

Well yeah, but I was just commenting on the screen size since I brought that up.

Obviously we'd all like to see both the Nexus 7 and iPad Mini go to Full HD. Plus a processor bump would be welcome also.

Oh and they need to contact HTC and get some HTC One like speakers on that thing cause the current Nexus 7 speaker is garbage.

Groof

Oh and they need to contact HTC and get some HTC One like speakers on that thing cause the current Nexus 7 speaker is garbage.
Oh god yes. At least front facing speakers. Apparently the ones on the N10 are pretty damn good as well.
Also no more Tegra please.

Vanillalite

Alright Android-GAF I've been wanting to do this for a while so here it goes.

10 quick questions for Android-GAF:

1) What games are you currently playing not on your Android devices?

2) What was the last book (or two) that you've read?

3) What albums have you been listening to lately?

4) What was the last movie you watched?

5) What TV show(s) are you currently really into?

6) Do you game on any dedicated handhelds?

7) What was the last cool thing you did in real life?

8) What is your next purchase?

9) Do you like to swim?

10) Disney Land or Disney World?

Futureman

9) Do you like to swim?

1) Zelda TP, Punchout

2) Eating Animals, (next) Life of Pi

3) Sam Russo's "Storm," Marnie Stern various songs

4) The Comedy

5) Adventure Time

6) Had a 3DS but sold it

7) in general, I'm making a cartoon? I guess that's cool. I hope.

8) I'm going to grocery shop today, so food.

9) yes

10) neither

Updated my Sensation to Android 4.2.2 after a massive Wi-fi driver failure with CM10. All of the fixes out there pointed to installing CM10.1 so let's see how it's different...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Guild Wars 2, Civilization 5

Honor Harrington, Bossypants

ArcadeFire - Funeral, Some Philip Glass and Ludovico Einaudi

Just watched Wreck it Ralph on Bluray

Archer, Bob's Burgers, Breaking Bad, Misfits

3DS and DS

Worked on a TV pilot

Earrings for my girlfriend and my anniversary

9) Do you like to swim?
Sonewhat, our pool is often full

I've only been to Disneyworld, but Land has that new Iron Man thing, so I'll just say Land.
What's this for anyways?

Vanillalite

Updated my Sensation to Android 4.2.2 after a massive Wi-fi driver failure with CM10. All of the fixes out there pointed to installing CM10.1 so let's see how it's different...

Any reason you were still running CM10 to begin with? I see no reason to if your device has CM10.1 available.

Any reason you were still running CM10 to begin with? I see no reason to if your device has CM10.1 available.

Well CM10 official was very unstable so I was using a custom version by Bruce. He didn't bother with 4.2.2 so I was waiting for a stable Kang of 4.2.2 to become available but in the meantime my Wi-fi driver failed hard and cause my phone to lock up and for the wifi to stop working, even after a full wipe.

W1SSY

Battlefield 3 on PS3
Mass Effect 3
Persona 4

The Name of the Wind

Bastion Soundtrack
Journey Sountrack
Dustforce Soundtrack (was writing a paper for school and all are great for background noise)

Argo

Walking Dead
Soon to be Game of Thrones again

Love my Vita

Probably finishing up my Computer Science degree, just have math stuff left for my double degree.

groceries but tech wise probably PS4.

9) Do you like to swim?
absolutely

Haven't been to either but I have been to Florida and would love to go to California so Disneyland.

Finally got tired of my Nexus 4 homescreen looking generic and worked on it a bit. It just takes so much time to make anything look good.
9vIqAi4.png

Fallout: New Vegas, NFS Most Wanted and Persona 3 Portable

A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen. It's a play, sure, but I'm studying it

Avantasia's 'The Mystery of Time' came out last week, so that.

Madagascar, not really by choice though. It was on during my break!

Revolution, Game of Thrones, Parks & Rec, Gravity Falls

3DS and PSP get regular outings.

I haven't been out for a few days, been busy studying, but the last REALLY cool thing was probably at Christmas when I did some speedboating.

Uhh... Probably some beer for Monday night, hahaha. Need a new game to play when I've finished FONV and P3P, though.

9) Do you like to swim?
When I'm in a nice sunny place to do it. Not usually, and if I have a choice I'll probably choose to go exploring somewhere instead.

Disneyland has more history and has a better upkeep in general. Plus Cars Land is bloody great.

I must come off as so boring!

In other news, I tried out Tasker for the first time today. What a great little tinker toy.

What's the best android phone out now on Verizon or Sprint? I have to get a new phone in the next week or so (cancelled with AT&T due to some bad blood between us) and I am going to try Android out.

Seems like a dumb time to buy if the new Galaxy is coming out soon, but I don't really have a choice in the timing since I need a phone and AT&T is giving me this one chance to bail on my contract.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
From what I understand, it only really works well on the N4 and N7
Works well on my N10. Except for Paste. I have to highlight to paste.

Oh god yes. At least front facing speakers. Apparently the ones on the N10 are pretty damn good as well.
Also no more Tegra please.

Front facing speakers are awesome.

What's the best android phone out now on Verizon or Sprint? I have to get a new phone in the next week or so (cancelled with AT&T due to some bad blood between us) and I am going to try Android out.

Seems like a dumb time to buy if the new Galaxy is coming out soon, but I don't really have a choice in the timing since I need a phone and AT&T is giving me this one chance to bail on my contract.
damn the timing really sucks. I guess you should just take the S3....

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Isn't there a 30 day return policy? You might make the S4 cutoff. If not, I'd leave att and get a dumb phone for awhile.

Isn't there a 30 day return policy? You might make the S4 cutoff. If not, I'd leave att and get a dumb phone for awhile.

Hmm... S4 is supposed to be beginning of May?

What about Nexus 4 or any of the HTC phones? Totally outclassed by S4 (in your opinions of course, I know it isn't out yet)? Sorry, I know nothing of Android...

What about Nexus 4 or any of the HTC phones? Totally outclassed by S4 (in your opinions of course, I know it isn't out yet)? Sorry, I know nothing of Android...
verizon has yet to acknowledged it for some reason I think but if ATT preorders are up april 16th, likely release is 2 weeks later give or take a day or 2. I'd say end of april is most likely, really early may at the latest.

And yeah the S4 will pretty much shit on absolutely everything out right now pretty much by a country mile. Nexus 4 is never a bad option but that's off contract meaning you'd have to pay at least 300/350 for it. One possible option is get the nexus 4 off contract, then just use it wherever you want, then sell it and get an S4 or use it until the nexus 5 comes out. Or get an S3 then try that 30 day return thing mentioned above, don't know if that works, but if it does it's an option.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Anyone else's Google search app not speaking back to them? The version on iOS responds when I ask it store hours but not the android version.

tino

Banned

Don't bother with N4. It has many faults of the iPhone. If you don't mind no removable battery no SD card weak battery life I recommend HTC One/HTC Butterfly over the N4.

Don't bother with N4. It has many faults of the iPhone. If you don't mind no removable battery no SD card weak battery life I recommend HTC One/HTC Butterfly over the N4.
has faults >> recommends htc phone.

Also removable battery and no SD card aren't faults, they're design choices. It's up to the user if it's a fault. I personally don't care and won't ever care in making my choice for a phone. And the point of the nex4 is that it can be used as a temp phone by him until a later date, rather than signing a contract and being stuck on an inferior phone for 2 years.

Bboy AJ

I own a Nexus 4 and would take it over the S4 any day of the week. If you are coming from an iPhone, you will like the Nexus 4 plenty.

reKon

Banned
I own a Nexus 4 and would take it over the S4 any day of the week. If you are coming from an iPhone, you will like the Nexus 4 plenty.

Battery life? Camera? Doesn't the S3 get a ton of ROM support anyway? The main thing that nexus 4 has over the gs3 is design and developer support.

Battery life? Camera? Doesn't the S3 get a ton of ROM support anyway? The main thing that nexus 4 has over the gs3 is design and developer support.
and it runs stock. and Key lime pie is coming out in a bit so that's an added advantage whereas the S3 is gonna have to wait a long time most likely.

It's not a bad option. But it's probably more of a temporary choice, the nexus 4 I mean.

tino

Banned
has faults >> recommends htc phone.

Also removable battery and no SD card aren't faults, they're design choices. It's up to the user if it's a fault. I personally don't care and won't ever care in making my choice for a phone. And the point of the nex4 is that it can be used as a temp phone by him until a later date, rather than signing a contract and being stuck on an inferior phone for 2 years.

Fine, go recommend N4 to him. I am not interested in beating the dead horse debates.

IMO HTC One/Butterfly are overall better phones than N4.

Appreciate all of the responses.

Still just as confused though!

I have about ten days to send back my Lumia 920 to AT&T, so that's how long I have to decide.

Really don't want to go back to iOS, so that's right out. S4 seems like the best bet, but I'll be phoneless for a while. Hmm...

Battlefield 3 on PS3
Mass Effect 3
Persona 4

The Name of the Wind

Bastion Soundtrack
Journey Sountrack
Dustforce Soundtrack (was writing a paper for school and all are great for background noise)

Argo

Walking Dead
Soon to be Game of Thrones again

Love my Vita

Probably finishing up my Computer Science degree, just have math stuff left for my double degree.

groceries but tech wise probably PS4.

9) Do you like to swim?
absolutely

Haven't been to either but I have been to Florida and would love to go to California so Disneyland.

Finally got tired of my Nexus 4 homescreen looking generic and worked on it a bit. It just takes so much time to make anything look good.
What calendar widget is that?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Finished TR, after that nothing worth mentioning

Murakami / 18Q4
Pratchett / Dodger

Lights / The Listening
Random mix stuff

No idea. Django maybe.

MLP
Gravity Falls
Supernatural
Archer

Since DS, no

Changed interior stuff of a BMW all by myself, and I'm a complete noob when it comes to that.

No idea. Probably Lego.

9) Do you like to swim?
Yea, but only when it's summer time

Never been to any of those, Germany and all that. Don't know the difference.

I have about ten days to send back my Lumia 920 to AT&T, so that's how long I have to decide.

Really don't want to go back to iOS, so that's right out. S4 seems like the best bet, but I'll be phoneless for a while. Hmm...
Options:

1) Nexus 4 and use it off contract then sell it and get the S4 on contract when it's out.
2) Use Nexus 4 until Nexus 5 comes out, then sell nexus 4 and get the 5.
3) Research the 30 day return thing. See if it's possible for you to get an S3 on contract then return it and get an S4. Have no idea if this is possible.
4) settle with some random htc phone or the S3 and stick with that for a long time...

Couple of things. The HTC One is beautiful. Beautiful. And having had a chance to use one today (my brother has it) the screen is gorgeous and the hardware feels amazing. The new Sense isn't as bad as it looks on screenshots and blinkfeed is actually pretty nice. It's also super smooth and responsive. And it's loud. To the point where you will have to make a conscious effort to speak over it if you are watching/listening to something at full volume. The S4 has a slight edge in specs and a big lead in battery standby time (which won't make an impact if you are a power user). It's subjective but for me One > S4. The S4 might have slightly better performance, but the HTC One is a work of art in hardware design.

All that said, it doesn't blow my N4 out of the water. Plus with the latest version of Android due in May time I'll be guaranteed to be on the cutting edge of software, if not hardware. If you are happy with the features available now and further software features would be nice but aren't that big of a deal go for the HTC One. If you need to be at the cutting edge of software and not have to worry about updates then you should get an N4. Both are great devices.

The S4 is a big leap over an S2 or S3, but not enough of a leap over the HTC One imo to make up for the beauty factor. That said if hardware looks aren't that important for you it's a stronger option.

Tough call.

Bboy AJ

ROM support is misleading. If the drivers aren't released, the ROMs will run like shit.

The S4 has a bigger screen than the One, is a smaller phone than the One, has a better battery compared to the One, has a better camera compared to the One. I'd say if he had the choice he should take the S4. But if he can't take the S4 then there isn't any shame whatsoever in taking the One which seems like a really good device. Probably should have included that as one of the options in my list.

Farcry 3. Misread the question

Terribly, I haven't read a book cover to cover in a while. Currently trying to get into the Game Of Thrones books

Combination of M83: Hurry Up We're Dreaming and Ryan Adams: Ashes & Fire

Last movie I watched (last night) was the Spiderman reboot. OK, but not amazing. Emma Stone is hot as a blonde. Last really good movie I saw in the Cinema was Arbitrage with Richard Gere. Excellent

Breaking Bad, looking forward to the new GOT and recently loved the Killing (Danish version). The Wire is my favourite show of all time

Nope, just don't have the time and it's not great on my eyes

This depends on what you'd call cool. I went out clubbing last week dressed as a giant crocodile...?

Technology? Probably the refreshed Nexus 7, though I would like a new desktop PC or Mac. If just purchase in general, probably a sandwich...

9) Do you like to swim?

Yes. Try to go swimming every other day. I'm not the most technically proficient in the world but from a fitness standpoint it's excellent for you

I haven't been to either. But if Disneyland is going to get Star Wars themes rides, I'll be first in the queue

:)

ROM support is misleading. If the drivers aren't released, the ROMs will run like shit.

but its an American GS4... Qualcomm'd!

The S4 has a bigger screen than the One, is a smaller phone than the One, has a better battery compared to the One, has a better camera compared to the One. I'd say if he had the choice he should take the S4. But if he can't take the S4 then there isn't any shame whatsoever in taking the One which seems like a really good device. Probably should have included that as one of the options in my list.

Boomsound!

All of these are relative to what he'll use the phone for. The camera on The One is very adept. My brother took some low light shots and I was very impressed (this was post software update which fixed the bluriness). It's more than capable for a smartphone point and shoot. I'm not denying that the S4 is better, but it'll be iterative, not a massive leap. I honestly suggest to anyone thinking of getting a One to see it in person. I already thought it was a pretty nice phone, but in person it's very very impressive. Much more so than the Xperia Z. I'm sure the S4 will be nice but I've spent plenty of time with the S3 so I know what to expect.

If the decision between the two comes down to look and feel it isn't even a contest between the HTC One and the S4. If that isn't really a factor and internals are more important then the S4 wins. But both are amazing phones. The big winner is Android and the consumer because you've very rarely ever had better choices to work with than this.

Boomsound!

It's a shit name yes, but it's actually very impressive. Not just the volume, but the clarity. And it's actually useful, not a gimmick.

Groof

Getting in on this!

Trials Evolution GE, mainly. Kingdom Hearts: BBS on the side.

Haven't read any in a while... though I have the limited edition Woodkid The Golden Age book lined up.

Woodkid - The Golden Age. So good.

A Good Day to Die Hard... lol

Derek, Game of Thrones and Suits.

Yes, PS Vita.

Cooked dinner... :(

Some new clothes, probably.

9) Do you like to swim?
Sure!

Only been to the one in Paris and Tokyo. So between those, the one in Tokyo.

tino

Banned

You can port your number to Google Voice first and sport a prepaid phone until the S4 is available.

After Google Reader is hard for me to recommend any Google Cloud service but its a good option.

MarkusRJR

I posted a while ago about buying a new phone. I ended up deciding on a Nexus 4 after that since I found a place that sells prepaid Visa cards that go up to $500. I'm going to bite today but I need to know, can I even buy the Nexus 4 and pay for apps off the Google Play Store with a prepaid Viss credit card? WP7 had issues regarding prepaid Visas, and I don't want to end up putting $500 on the card if I can't even purchase the phone or apps.

Also the One is the first impossible to repair smartphone. One life to live, don't ever drop it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom