• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

So Feedly got a big ass update today to try and capitalize on the ZOMG Google Reader is dead thing. I haven't tried it out yet to post any impressions though.

PS: That Pinapple Express 2 April Fools Trailer for This is the End has me cracking up! LOL

The "Search/Find" menu is gorgeous. And you can filter through sources by language (at the bottom of the menu). Not bad.

RM8

I just discovered I can't use data at all after I installed ICS on my Xperia P with Flash Tool :/ Does anyone know what might be wrong?

I don't want to go back to crappy Gingerbread :(

After reading all of this, I think I'll go with a Nexus 4. Not being tied to a carrier seems great (after what I am going through with AT&T). I'm also not super interested in Samsung, so I can likely live without an S4 and just noodle around on a straight up google phone, especially since it's my first Android device.

I currently have a Lumia 920. Any good comparisons spec wise between Nexus 4 and Lumia 920? I'm curious how much of a side or downgrade the hardware will be.

buhdeh

No LTE and MUCH worse camera. Personally, I think the Nexus 4 looks and feels better than the 920 though.

I just discovered I can't use data at all after I installed ICS on my Xperia P with Flash Tool :/ Does anyone know what might be wrong?

I don't want to go back to crappy Gingerbread :(

Maybe you need to set up your APN settings again.

After reading all of this, I think I'll go with a Nexus 4. Not being tied to a carrier seems great (after what I am going through with AT&T). I'm also not super interested in Samsung, so I can likely live without an S4 and just noodle around on a straight up google phone, especially since it's my first Android device.

I currently have a Lumia 920. Any good comparisons spec wise between Nexus 4 and Lumia 920? I'm curious how much of a side or downgrade the hardware will be.
VASTLY better OS but no LTE and worse camera is about it. Nex4 is never a bad choice mang.

bananas

Banned
Two months ago, I had a MacBook, and iPhone 4S and an third-gen iPad.

Now I have a Windows PC and a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7 on their way.

:0

I chose the Galaxy Nexus over the Nexus 4 because I'd figured I'd save $150 and wait for the Nexus 5 in November/December :p

Does anyone know what would cause the notification sound to be really quiet even though it's at full volume? I don't think it's the speaker because if I restart it, then it's fine and full volume again. It just randomly becomes quiet though and I'm not sure why.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So with sprint it's 50 bucks cheaper AND you get a 50 dollar gift card? ATT tsktsktsktsktsk. 50 dollar play store gift card is pretty great.

Att version is the same as the sprint version price wise at RadioShack.

It's also worth noting they have a $10 off coupon so it is $189 for the Sprint and Att version with the play card.

PS: Fuck Att for the pricing all of the big new android phones at $249.

Looks like the Facebook Android announcement will be an Android home launcher alternative like Nova and Apex.

Android Police have a system dump with some info:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ike-theyre-planning-a-play-store-release-too/
Facebook Launcher?!?!? hahahahahaahahaha

that is legit the best thing that happened today.

On the downside, you're on Sprint.

depends on coverage. i would take Sprint over AT&T in NYC anyday, and here in SW GA, it's not even a contest. if you don't have Verizon or Sprint you might as well pack it up.

So with sprint it's 50 bucks cheaper AND you get a 50 dollar gift card? ATT tsktsktsktsktsk. 50 dollar play store gift card is pretty great.

AT&T bringing back the patented Verizon LTE Tax?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
depends on coverage. i would take Sprint over AT&T in NYC anyday, and here in SW GA, it's not even a contest. if you don't have Verizon or Sprint you might as well pack it up.

Pretty much true, If you're beyond Macon Ga, you're pretty much in Edge country. Except Ft. Valley, I always get an HSPA+ signal when I pass through

kinggroin

Banned
Two months ago, I had a MacBook, and iPhone 4S and an third-gen iPad.

Now I have a Windows PC and a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7 on their way.

:0

I chose the Galaxy Nexus over the Nexus 4 because I'd figured I'd save $150 and wait for the Nexus 5 in November/December :p

Outside shit battery and camera (Motorola and Samsung lead here respectively), the Galaxy Nexus is the fucking bama. I mean, over a year later and its day to day performance is every bit as good as the top end HTCs and Samsungs, despite comparatively dog shit specs.

Doesn't hurt that its absolutely gorgeous to look at from the front, and much more comfortable to hold compared to today's behemoths.

Galaxy nexus screen is hard to look at for me compared to todays screens. That combined with the shitty battery make it something you couldn't pay me to own in 2013. BUT, the performance is still solid, so there's that.

At least he said he got it for a temporary phone. Aint nothing wrong with that.

So I got tired of waiting for US Cellular to release the JB update for the Galaxy S II and flashed a custom ROM with it (CM10).

Almost bricked my phone at one point (it wouldn't even boot into download mode and Odin would ALWAYS fail). FINALLY got Odin working by using a pit file and a stock rom then using an exynos abuse apk to get root. The brick actually helped me here, because had I not had to restore to stock, I wouldn't have been back to that ICS version.

Ran some file and got CWM working, flashed a kernel with a newer version of CWM and then flashed a CM10 ROM with JB.

Hip hip horray.

How much do you want to bet US Cellular pushes out its official JB update tomorrow now?

Nicktendo86

So I got tired of waiting for US Cellular to release the JB update for the Galaxy S II and flashed a custom ROM with it (CM10).

Almost bricked my phone at one point (it wouldn't even boot into download mode and Odin would ALWAYS fail). FINALLY got Odin working by using a pit file and a stock rom then using an exynos abuse apk to get root. The brick actually helped me here, because had I not had to restore to stock, I wouldn't have been back to that ICS version.

Ran some file and got CWM working, flashed a kernel with a newer version of CWM and then flashed a CM10 ROM with JB.

Hip hip horray.

How much do you want to bet US Cellular pushes out its official JB update tomorrow now?
Cm is so much better than stock on the s2 so I wouldn't wouldn't worry about it :)

Nicktendo86

so how do you guys organise your games and media and shit?
I have nova launcher and have a tab in my app draw for games. So when I open apps it goes apps, games, widgets.

For media, I have folders on one of my home screens. One for news, one for video and one for reading.

reKon

Banned
wait so is the CM 10.1 completely smooth stable on the Snapdragon S3 or not?

also, do other major roms run perfectly on the S3?

I have had CM 10 running on my Touchpad for a long time now and I never have any force closes other than on the stock browser every once in a blue moon when it has trouble loading a web page.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm heavily considering the One instead of the S4. Am I in the wrong here guys? It just so damn beautiful.

No. If you decide to go that route and live in the US definitely hit up that radioshack deal. You'd be crazy not to.

One is a solid phone, and you'll be getting 32 gigs of storage for $50 bucks less.

buhdeh

wait so is the CM 10.1 completely smooth stable on the Snapdragon S3 or not?

also, do other major roms run perfectly on the S3?

I have had CM 10 running on my Touchpad for a long time now and I never have any force closes other than on the stock browser every once in a blue moon when it has trouble loading a web page.

I used Cm10/10.1 for months when I had my S3. I wouldn't call a single release "perfect". It's usable but there was always some bug/battery drain/GPS issue/data issue that made me wish I got a Nexus isntead.

There's nothing wrong with getting the One, just know what you're giving up and what you're getting into with Sense/updates/etc...

Informed decisions are the best decisions.

reKon

Banned
I would hate to buy a a GS4 and then see KLP be the best thing ever. These leaks need to start coming out so I know if the X Phone has the essentials I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom