• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananas

Banned
Just got my first Android device today, the Galaxy Nexus.

I got some apps up and running that I already researched or used on iPhone, like Pocket Casts and Spotify, but what are some good app you guys would recommend?

For example, what Twitter app do you all use?

Blackhead

Redarse
I keep the official twitter app installed because it supports per user tweet notifications. Does any of the third party clients offer that feature? I think Twitter banned third party developers from using that push API but Android developers should be able to get around that by polling and filtering the full feed in the background... Or something technical. Anyway, any twitter Android app recommendations?

Groof

I use Falcon Pro for my Twitter needs. Looks good, works great, supports TweetMarker and live updating. Pretty solid in my views.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On an LTE note despite all of these rumors of LTE speed sucking once everyone gets on the LTE train so far that hasn't happened. It's redonkulous that LTE is faster than my home internet.

b9jlq.jpg

Laggy, no inline previews, no tablet support, still has some iOS UI elements. Yeah, no thanks.

In other news, Sound search went live in the UK it seems.

It did. Godsend as I really like the miminism and hated having to use SoundHound.. Now the pressure is on FB to finally get rid of the legacy menu button..

reKon

Banned

I got some apps up and running that I already researched or used on iPhone, like Pocket Casts and Spotify, but what are some good app you guys would recommend?

Get greenify and then choose to greenify everything that you mainly use except for any messaging apps.

I use most of the Google Apss like Maps and Gmail, but in addition I use:
Dashclock widget
Air Droid
Falcon Widget (all I need for Twitter)
BubbleUPnP (for streaming from laptop)
Facebook messenger (no facebook app, you don't need it)
Air Droid
Nova Launcher Prime (as my launcher - you'll learn quickly about launchers)
Data Sync Beta
Titanium Back Up
Dropbox
MX Player
SMS Backup and Restore
OfficeSuite (got on sale)

If you're going to be flashing ROMs, make sure to get goomanager and franco.Kernel updater

Vanillalite

Is package tracking still buggy? I know for a while people said they had e-mails with package info, but it never appeared in Google Now.

gcubed

Is package tracking still buggy? I know for a while people said they had e-mails with package info, but it never appeared in Google Now.

It only worked for some vendors, not sure if they expanded it... Gmail is good at always finding tracking information in any email

Vanillalite

WTF.... Google doing the same shit as Mozilla? LOLOL

It's as if they both new this shit was coming, and Mozilla decided to push their press release 1st...

Blink: A rendering engine for the Chromium project

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Labels: blink, webkit

WebKit is a lightweight yet powerful rendering engine that emerged out of KHTML in 2001. Its flexibility, performance and thoughtful design made it the obvious choice for Chromium's rendering engine back when we started. Thanks to the hard work by all in the community, WebKit has thrived and kept pace with the web platform’s growing capabilities since then.

However, Chromium uses a different multi-process architecture than other WebKit-based browsers, and supporting multiple architectures over the years has led to increasing complexity for both the WebKit and Chromium projects. This has slowed down the collective pace of innovation - so today, we are introducing Blink, a new open source rendering engine based on WebKit.

This was not an easy decision. We know that the introduction of a new rendering engine can have significant implications for the web. Nevertheless, we believe that having multiple rendering engines—similar to having multiple browsers—will spur innovation and over time improve the health of the entire open web ecosystem.

In the short term, Blink will bring little change for web developers. The bulk of the initial work will focus on internal architectural improvements and a simplification of the codebase. For example, we anticipate that we’ll be able to remove 7 build systems and delete more than 7,000 files—comprising more than 4.5 million lines—right off the bat. Over the long term a healthier codebase leads to more stability and fewer bugs.

Throughout this transition, we’ll collaborate closely with other browser vendors to move the web forward and preserve the compatibility that made it a successful ecosystem. In that spirit, we’ve set strong guidelines for new features that emphasize standards, interoperability, conformance testing and transparency.

To learn more about Blink visit our project page.

Posted by Adam Barth, Software Engineer

Vanillalite

Worth noting according to a personal Blog from an Opera employee...

It’s great to be able to talk publicly about Blink, the new engine that will power Opera’s browsers (disclosure: my employer, but this is a personal post) and Chrome henceforth. I know a lot of people worried that there would be less diversity on the Web once Opera Presto was retired, and the forking of WebKit into Blink restores that balance. Opera will be contributing to Blink in future.

gcubed

So you have IE, apple on WebKit2, Google on its own, Mozilla on its own. At least Google's is based on WebKit, Mozillas could be rough

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Plume is a great one. Last I heard, Falcon Pro hit its user token limit.

Vanillalite

So you have IE, apple on WebKit2, Google on its own, Mozilla on its own. At least Google's is based on WebKit, Mozillas could be rough

Mozilla's latest updates have been money especially their new java engine. If anything it makes me wonder WTF Apple will do if a lot of support for Webkit falls off. Mozilla already does everything themselves anyways.

It's also worth noting the new Opera which I've stated all along is directly based on Chromium means it'll use blink.

On a Opera worker's personal blog he said...

It’s great to be able to talk publicly about Blink, the new engine that will power Opera’s browsers (disclosure: my employer, but this is a personal post) and Chrome henceforth. I know a lot of people worried that there would be less diversity on the Web once Opera Presto was retired, and the forking of WebKit into Blink restores that balance. Opera will be contributing to Blink in future.

Also makes sense why Opera has been so tight lipped about the desktop version redesign. They didn't want to let the cat out of the bag early.

Groof

So the overflow button on the cards in Google Now has changed to an info button which slides open a tiny menu below the card that shows why it's there and options for that specific card. Slick and fast, looks good.

giga

Mozilla's latest updates have been money especially their new java engine. If anything it makes me wonder WTF Apple will do if a lot of support for Webkit falls off. Mozilla already does everything themselves anyways.

It's also worth noting the new Opera which I've stated all along is directly based on Chromium means it'll use blink.

On a Opera worker's personal blog he said...

Also makes sense why Opera has been so tight lipped about the desktop version redesign. They didn't want to let the cat out of the bag early.
Probably nothing. The goal of blink is to re-enforce web standards. Things like moving off browser prefixes will help everyone have a more consistent web experience, if they support the latest standards.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So the overflow button on the cards in Google Now has changed to an info button which slides open a tiny menu below the card that shows why it's there and options for that specific card. Slick and fast, looks good.
This new design element is honestly amazing. Have to hope KLP is riddled with little touches like that.

Vanillalite

Probably nothing. The goal of blink is to re-enforce web standards. Things like moving off browser prefixes will help everyone have a more consistent web experience, if they support the latest standards.

I get this, but obviously long term if it's an actual fork Google and Opera's crew aren't going to be working with Webkit at all, and someone has to do it. Webkit got a big surge of extra developers because of the Chromium project. Will they stay?

giga

I get this, but obviously long term if it's an actual fork Google and Opera's crew aren't going to be working with Webkit at all, and someone has to do it. Webkit got a big surge of extra developers because of the Chromium project. Will they stay?
Eh, Apple webkit devs were doing great stuff before Chromium was even here. Unless Apple thinks their engineers could be working on something else or doesn't care about having their own browser/engine, I don't see why they would end it.

Vanillalite

Eh, Apple webkit devs were doing great stuff before Chromium was even here. Unless Apple thinks their engineers could be working on something else or doesn't care about having their own browser/engine, I don't see why they would end it.

True, but a lot of the open source community that works on this kind of thing have moved onto working on the Mozilla and Chromium projects. Granted the Gnome Foundation just put out a new browser with Gnome 3.8 based on Webkit, but idk. Not like say Midori has a ton of devs working on webkit which puts it sorely on Apple to keep up with.

Vanillalite

So you don't think removing the biggest slice of the pie in Google won't have an effect?

I wonder if Apple should just fork as well. They use everything current WebKit offers though unlike Google. Made sense for Google to fork. To much code redundance.

PS: Mozilla is the big winner here. They just get a ton of extra devs from Samsung.

giga

So you don't think removing the biggest slice of the pie in Google won't have an effect?
Sure. But now Chromium will also lose a large chunk of commits since they're no longer a part of the project.

It's hard to predict what will happen in the long term.

Vanillalite

Sure. But now Chromium will also lose a large chunk of commits since they're no longer a part of the project.

It's hard to predict what will happen in the long term.

Well they pick up Opera for what that is worth.

I guess it is a wait and see. Apple never really commented directly on Chromium anyways. Then again if the open source other in the pie chart bracket sticks with WebKit that is a win for Apple and a loss for Google.

giga

Well they pick up Opera for what that is worth.

I guess it is a wait and see. Apple never really commented directly on Chromium anyways. Then again if the open source other in the pie chart bracket sticks with WebKit that is a win for Apple and a loss for Google.
I really don't see it as a loss for anyone, since these are all open source. Anyone is free to adopt whatever. If development can't keep up, they'll just switch.

I see browsers and engines just as a means of accessing content--the web. Interoperability is key, and blink will help that.

I'm still amazed that trident is still closed source.

Vanillalite

I like it.

Don't know why people hate the official client. It works perfectly fine.

Main gripe is I cant copy and paste.

I'm actually using it as my default. Like the new features and speed. Not sure about that font though. Oh and everyone is still bitchinf about inline images. That won't change though.

So I changed from stock ICS (US Cellular) to a ported Sprint Epic 4G Touch ROM on my phone (US Cellular Galaxy S II) of PACman.

The keyboard pisses me off.

Does anyone know of a free keyboard where I can hit the symbols key and get to the comma from there? I hate holding down the period key to get the comma.

Vanillalite

Boo abandoning open standards.

Who's abandoning open standards?

So I changed from stock ICS (US Cellular) to a ported Sprint Epic 4G Touch ROM on my phone (US Cellular Galaxy S II) of PACman.

The keyboard pisses me off.

Does anyone know of a free keyboard where I can hit the symbols key and get to the comma from there? I hate holding down the period key to get the comma.

Just try out Swiftkey or Swype.

Cipherr

This new design element is honestly amazing. Have to hope KLP is riddled with little touches like that.

Yeah, seriously. It gets me really excited for what Google has in store for the future. The animation is really smooth as well.

Hah, I came to comment on this. I really really like it. Its a lot better than the overflow ellipse, and the animation and design of it looks great. Tap it and it tells you exactly WHY the card is there, and gives some options depending on the card.

Great great stuff, and it looks fantastic. Im sort of shocked at them updating this, rolling out Chrome updates, the QuickOffice App, launching knowledge graph face recognition for movies, launching Keep, real time NYC Subway schedules, redesigning the Wallet app, updating G-Mails notification menu options, and adding a Google Now widget and all this other stuff BEFORE rolling out KLP at I/O.

All those updates seem like the kind of things you would hold and release/announce all at once for a new version of Android. Would suck it they rolled out all this new stuff in the last 4 months, then come KLP they have next to nothing to show.

But they are iterating fast as hell. Feels like every few weeks there's something being improved.

Argh, so since I'm going with Nexus 4, it's getting more complicated.

I'm going to go with T-Mobile (since I just cancelled with AT&T because of some problems) and a month-month plan.

However, I don't see a tethering option? I really don't want to hack around my phone just to get tethering. Does anyone have experience with T-Mobile, Nexus 4, and tethering that can allay my fears that this is a complicated mess?

Otherwise, I will likely be waiting for S4 and get roped into a 2 year contract with Verizon--and I'd rather not do that. But I use tethering often, so it being simple is important to me.

tino

Banned
Argh, so since I'm going with Nexus 4, it's getting more complicated.

I'm going to go with T-Mobile (since I just cancelled with AT&T because of some problems) and a month-month plan.

However, I don't see a tethering option? I really don't want to hack around my phone just to get tethering. Does anyone have experience with T-Mobile, Nexus 4, and tethering that can allay my fears that this is a complicated mess?

Otherwise, I will likely be waiting for S4 and get roped into a 2 year contract with Verizon--and I'd rather not do that. But I use tethering often, so it being simple is important to me.

All you need to do is change your laptop browser's User Agent. I have an extension for my Chrome browser that change itself to Opera desktop browser.

If you can't figure out how to root N4 and setup tether, I can't help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom