• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
I only have two widgets on my home screen: AIX weather widget and the Google Now widget (which is almost always showing the weather card anyway). I prefer to use widgets via Wave Launcher and Action Launcher's new shutter feature. If widgets were removed from the homescreen in KLP I wouldn't miss them much.

When Samsung starts shipping a phone with it pre-loaded by default, I'll be sure to :samsung. Until then…

:htc
How you liking the nexus 4 by the way? What do you dislike about Android?

giga

I only have two widgets on my home screen: AIX weather widget and the Google Now widget (which is almost always showing the weather card anyway). I prefer to use widgets via Wave Launcher and Action Launcher's new shutter feature. If widgets were removed from the homescreen in KLP I wouldn't miss them much.

How you liking the nexus 4 by the way? What do you dislike about Android?
For the price, the hardware is good. Camera is total ass, but I guess that's what you get for $300. I wish the device was smaller, since I have trouble reaching the top of the display with my thumb when one-handing it. 4.3" like the HTC First would be ideal. The problem is mostly exacerbated by Android design guidelines, which puts a lot of controls near the top. (I'm guessing because the bottom houses the OS controls now.)

I miss several iOS apps, even the ones that are cross platform. I don't like the scrolling acceleration and end of page "glow" animation. I don't like the way it handles emoji--it requires a lot of scrolling. USB audio doesn't cooperate with my car stereo.

tino

Banned
For the price, the hardware is good. Camera is total ass, but I guess that's what you get for $300. I wish the device was smaller, since I have trouble reaching the top of the display with my thumb when one-handing it. 4.3" like the HTC First would be ideal. The problem is mostly exacerbated by Android design guidelines, which puts a lot of controls near the top. (I'm guessing because the bottom houses the OS controls now.)

I miss several iOS apps, even the ones that are cross platform. I don't like the scrolling acceleration and end of page "glow" animation. I don't like the way it handles emoji--it requires a lot of scrolling. USB audio doesn't cooperate with my car stereo.

Haha you can get an Android phone with menu key in the bottom.

giga

Haha you can get an Android phone with menu key in the bottom.
OK, but that doesn't help with a Nexus 4. I'm always seeing the three dots, search icons, and other stuff in the action bar on the top right. That requires me to shuffle the phone down in my hand so my thumb can reach it.

Shambles

Ugh the android (mobile) browsing experience is such shit. First I'm trying to figure out how to attach an address from maps to a contact which turns out is fucking impossible. You can create a new contact with that address but who the hell would ever need to do that. Even the copy to clipboard feature in maps is useless as it copies a bloody URL for you.

While looking for an answer to that problem I am linked to a YouTube video which turns out to be useless (shocking) but instead of chrome me go back to my Google search it keeps forwarding me each time I go back. So now I have to jam the back button 3-4 times just to escape the YouTube black hole which of course takes me further back than I wanted to go. (Yet another reason why YouTube is terrible)

So i start to search for a solution to the YouTube tractor beam by reading forum replies which lead me to a legion of annoying ass popups on each site trying to hassle me into buying some piece of shit app called tapatalk. apparently there is no way to block these on either chrome or Firefox.

The mobile space can be such a shit hole. Instead of throwing my phone against a wall I posted this. And while the swipe keyboard isn't bad I've come to realise that these stupid devices will never replace a proper computer.

When Samsung starts shipping a phone with it pre-loaded by default, I'll be sure to :samsung. Until then…

:htc

HTC didn't design the launcher they designed the phone.

If Samsung made a phone with the launcher pre-loaded it would still be :Facebook who made the launcher specifics.

Some people.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ugh the android (mobile) browsing experience is such shit. First I'm trying to figure out how to attach an address from maps to a contact which turns out is fucking impossible. You can create a new contact with that address but who the hell would ever need to do that. Even the copy to clipboard feature in maps is useless as it copies a bloody URL for you.

While looking for an answer to that problem I am linked to a YouTube video which turns out to be useless (shocking) but instead of chrome me go back to my Google search it keeps forwarding me each time I go back. So now I have to jam the back button 3-4 times just to escape the YouTube black hole which of course takes me further back than I wanted to go. (Yet another reason why YouTube is terrible)

So i start to search for a solution to the YouTube tractor beam by reading forum replies which lead me to a legion of annoying ass popups on each site trying to hassle me into buying some piece of shit app called tapatalk. apparently there is no way to block these on either chrome or Firefox.

The mobile space can be such a shit hole. Instead of throwing my phone against a wall I posted this. And while the swipe keyboard isn't bad I've come to realise that these stupid devices will never replace a proper computer.

Find address in Maps > Push the 3 dot menu > add as a contact > Push the 3 dot menu > Join > Pick a contact

You described something I've always been meaning to find a way to put into words but never could. I FUCKING HATE THAT SHIT. What stupidity. I have only a few issues with android and that's one of them. Some things are just so amateurish.

gimmmick

Just picked up a brown Samsung Galaxy SIII at Walmart (through Verizon) for fifty bones//2 year contract

Awesome deal, the s3 is still a great phone that I recommend all my non techy friends to get that are sick of iphone and want something different.

If Samsung made a phone with the launcher pre-loaded it would still be :Facebook who made the launcher specifics.

Some people.

But they didn't. Neither did Sony and both are signed up to Facebook home. Only HTC are desperate enough to actually ship a terrible Facebook phone and take the reputation hit when people get served adverts to their lockscreen and all of their personal data gets taken to pieces by advertisers.

HTC = Fucked.

Groof

I swear to god Google Now is absolutely genius.
5DbJ9NM.png

I swear to god Google Now is absolutely genius.

It is. I flew to HK recently and after searching for my flight while signed into my account it had all of my flight information and route information for the airport, after searching for my hotel, it also lined up public transport information in HK from the airport! :O

Groof

It is. I flew to HK recently and after searching for my flight while signed into my account it had all of my flight information and route information for the airport, after searching for my hotel, it also lined up public transport information in HK from the airport! :O
Why do I not use it enough? And these improvements they're doing are fucking amazing as well. So hyped for I/O now.

giga

Some people.
Look Peter Chou, this isn't hard. HTC is the butt of this joke because they're pre-loading said launcher by default on their phone. We already know Facebook designed it. That's a separate joke.

Look Peter Chou, this isn't hard. HTC is the butt of this joke because they're pre-loading said launcher by default on their phone. We already know Facebook designed it. That's a separate joke.

I really feel like we need one of those Downfall parody videos for HTC.

PSwnSVr.jpg

"Once we release the Windows 8 tablet, we'll see a big flow of revenue and profits."
"But sir, consumers hate Windows 8 ..."

tino

Banned

He already said if HTC One doesn't sell he will step down, so there is still hope for the company.

He already said if HTC One doesn't sell he will step down, so there is still hope for the company.

Whoever replaces Peter Chou is going to be worse. HTC as a company are too overweight and they need some hard restructuring of their Taiwan division to move into the next phase. At SMC Lund they fired over half of the 2000 full time staff and basically started their development from zero in September. HTC need to make the same kinds of moves if they are going to compete properly in the future.

Nicktendo86

So I popped into an EE store in London on my way back from the banking run I do for work and they had HTC One in the store. Wasn't turned on, was just one of those dummy units you can hold to get a feel.

I don't know if this one was faulty but there was a ledge between the metal case and the glass screen which my thumb would get caught on, it was worse in one corner than the others but was noticable all over the screen. The device didn't feel at all 'premium', I also thought it looked a little ugly in person.

kinggroin

Banned
OK, but that doesn't help with a Nexus 4. I'm always seeing the three dots, search icons, and other stuff in the action bar on the top right. That requires me to shuffle the phone down in my hand so my thumb can reach it.

Go custom if ya really want to move menu settings to a reachable spot.

You can eliminate the dots on top and have a persistent menu soft key below.

Sorry you're jumping on the :htc joke bandwagon and getting it wrong. We'll forgive you.

Chinner

Banned
whats the best news aggregator? flipbooard is pretty cool but wondering if theres anything out there allows me to pick my own sources and has a cleaner style to it. also with widget implemmentation?

Talon

whats the best news aggregator? flipbooard is pretty cool but wondering if theres anything out there allows me to pick my own sources and has a cleaner style to it. also with widget implemmentation?
Pulse let's you create your own sources (a la a RSS reader), but it is the diametric opposite of cleaner.

It is, indeed, an assault on your eyeballs. So Faceless probably loves it.

Darkkn

I like Google Currents. It's a lot like Flipboard, but with cleaner design.

Chinner

Banned
checking out google currents and yeah i think this will do. flipboard was cool but i thought there widget was pretty messy to read, and although the layout was cool thought it was a little bit too busy for my liking.

Sorry you're jumping on the :htc joke bandwagon and getting it wrong. We'll forgive you.

No he's not. You are the one who is in denial. Let me break it down for you.

HTC are fast fading into obscurity and their saviour device is just okay and they can't really produce too many of them because it is a bitch to manufacture and the parts required are suffering from a severe shortage. Instead of restructuring the company, making Sense take a long walk off a short pier, Peter Chou has decided a phone with another heavily customised launcher/skin is the way to go. While Sense is still controlled by HTC and they can make whatever changes they want to it, FB Home is not. They are shipping a phone with third party software on board, neither of FB's other two partners made that jump, they only confirmed that they would allow FB to have the hooks for TouchWiz and eDream with users having to download and install FB Home themselves like they would for Apex or Nova.

Basically HTC are so fucking desperate for a hit right now they are whoring themselves and their consumers out to a company who have a very poor attitude towards ethics when it comes to user data. The trouble for HTC is that they are going to be held responsible when FB are inevitably caught with their pants down selling user data to third parties. Samsung and Sony aren't shipping phones with FB Home, that means users with devices from these two companies will have to consent to all kinds of agreements and EULAs from FB to allow them into their usage statistics, they have to take that step actively by downloading FB Home frm Google Play and agreeing to shit before installing it. HTC have removed this step and thereby lined themselves up for a world of shit. All in an effort to capture some lost limelight. The short term gain for having the only shipping phone with FB Home is quickly going to be cancelled out when it does transpire that FB Home includes some CarrierIQ type software which logs user data and sends it back to FB unanonymised. Remember it was HTC that had the biggest problem with CarrierIQ in the first place, so they already have form in this area.

All in all, it is a desperate move from a desperate company. They would be better off downsizing, fixing their supply chain and working on a killer 2014 line up. So far they have just two 2013 phones out or announced (not including the Desire X for China), Samsung, Sony and the Chinese phone makers are going to destroy them this year if all they release is a single hard to manufacture Android phone and a single custom FB phone.

HTC are fast fading into obscurity and their saviour device is just okay and they can't really produce too many of them because it is a bitch to manufacture and the parts required are suffering from a severe shortage. Instead of restructuring the company, making Sense take a long walk off a short pier, Peter Chou has decided a phone with another heavily customised launcher/skin is the way to go. While Sense is still controlled by HTC and they can make whatever changes they want to it, FB Home is not. They are shipping a phone with third party software on board, neither of FB's other two partners made that jump, they only confirmed that they would allow FB to have the hooks for TouchWiz and eDream with users having to download and install FB Home themselves like they would for Apex or Nova.

Basically HTC are so fucking desperate for a hit right now they are whoring themselves and their consumers out to a company who have a very poor attitude towards ethics when it comes to user data. The trouble for HTC is that they are going to be held responsible when FB are inevitably caught with their pants down selling user data to third parties. Samsung and Sony aren't shipping phones with FB Home, that means users with devices from these two companies will have to consent to all kinds of agreements and EULAs from FB to allow them into their usage statistics, they have to take that step actively by downloading FB Home frm Google Play and agreeing to shit before installing it. HTC have removed this step and thereby lined themselves up for a world of shit. All in an effort to capture some lost limelight. The short term gain for having the only shipping phone with FB Home is quickly going to be cancelled out when it does transpire that FB Home includes some CarrierIQ type software which logs user data and sends it back to FB unanonymised. Remember it was HTC that had the biggest problem with CarrierIQ in the first place, so they already have form in this area.

All in all, it is a desperate move from a desperate company. They would be better off downsizing, fixing their supply chain and working on a killer 2014 line up. So far they have just two 2013 phones out or announced (not including the Desire X for China), Samsung, Sony and the Chinese phone makers are going to destroy them this year if all they release is a single hard to manufacture Android phone and a single custom FB phone.

I take it I am the only person on this forum who actually thought the facebook home thing had nice aethetics or looked good. Never going to install it though but thought the interface was good.

HTC has problems but sense really isnt the big one, crrap skins have not stopped Samsung making huge profits in fact they have stated one of the reasons for sticking with the same old design is because they don't want to confuse consumers who bought earlier galaxies. LG made profit last quarter growing sales and both these companies have crappier skins than Sense 5.

HTC One looks a great device but they appear to have underestimated the problems associated with bringing one off hardware - camera and case to market.

Wooohooo, finally I'm back at Android camp.

I fucking love this phone ;_;. After very disappointing WP8 it feels great to be back.

Can I ask what was so dissapointing about WP8?

Ragus

Banned
If you don't mind, I will just quote myself from another thread:

Galaxy Note II. Maybe it's uglier, but:

A) I can install a good mobile browser on it
B) I don't have to worry about ringtone's volume when I turn the volume down on music player
C) I can actually send full size photos in my emails
C) It actually vibrates all the time during incoming calls
D) Games
E) I feel in love with S-pen. Shit can be very useful

Very big response, but it's still not HTC's fault you can't add widgets to facebook home or have ads. His original point.

Your response, while lengthy, had nothing to do with the original point.

Very big response, but it's still not HTC's fault you can't add widgets to facebook home or have ads. His original point.

Your response, while lengthy, had nothing to do with the original point.

Yes it does. HTC fucking chose to ship a phone with HTC fucking branding using this piece of shit launcher. HTC First is a fucking HTC phone shipping with a launcher that doesn't have widgets and pushes down adverts onto the lockscreen. It's a HTC phone.

Blame FB all you like for shipping an incomplete product, that's fine, but also blame HTC for allowing it onto one of their devices. If HTC were just making the phone as an OEM like they used to Google and T-Mobile then it would be different as FB would be responsible for everything, but they aren't. It's a HTC branded phone sold by HTC, not a Facebook branded phone sold by Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom