• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with the One review, not to take anything away from it, is that it's comparing it to phones of last year, not this year, considering there isn't anything out but the Z. For instance he mentions the camera is definitively the best in android...

...for a few weeks until the S4 comes out. He also seems to REALLY like some of the sense features. To each their own I guess. Definitely a hot phone though, either way. Wish I could try it in person. Also at anand they REALLLLLY seem to love the highlight reel feature. I'm kind of surprised by that. I mean it's neat and everything but I look at it how I look at most bonus camera features, just gimmicks. But they consider it the killer app for the phone. Not saying they're wrong, he does mention 100 times in the review "this is subjective" "this is also subjective" etc... and it is.

OK, but that doesn't help with a Nexus 4. I'm always seeing the three dots, search icons, and other stuff in the action bar on the top right. That requires me to shuffle the phone down in my hand so my thumb can reach it.

I know this post was days ago, but I want to add I had this problem when I first got my Galaxy S III. I thought its big, beautiful screen was just too big. However, I got used to it in a couple days or so, and it's not a problem at all anymore. In fact, I can barely imagine how it was a problem.

Isn't HTC hostile to custom ROMs now or something? There was some controversy about them shutting down a Russian site which hosted a lot of ROMs awhile back. I don't know if I would count on there being anything resembling timely ROMs for the One.

Sony is very friendly with the ROM community, they even submit their devices and full source code to the CyanogenMod guys before the phones are even released these days.

Samsung doesn't give a rat's ass about the ROM community. They are notorious for releasing binary code blobs instead of source like they are supposed to, and usually what source is released is not even what is shipping in released devices. The "latest" source code for Galaxy S3 and Note II are based on an ICS build of Android, which the Note II never even shipped with! This is the main reason why custom ROM developers hate Samsung, it's not that they are friendly or hostile, they just give no fucks so here's a bunch of shit you don't care about, have fun. It's why CM is still pretty broken on S3, because the devs can't get anything resembling updated source and driver code so how can they develop anything?

Yes. In the US, carriers don't even want really want people to know you can buy a phone off contract. If it weren't for the FCC forcing them to, they wouldn't even list off-contract prices on the price tags in stores.

Blackhead

Redarse
Damn Anandtech really loves the HTC One. Phone's been getting great reviews everywhere.

A_EditorChoice_Gold_20300_medium.png

Damn you aint lying.... And their battery tests show it to be pretty good also.

Anandtech had some real nice things to say about Sense 5 too:
HTC has also moved to their own flat iconography for system icons throughout, which look attractive and much different from the tacky, bubbly icons I’ve seen on various other Android skins I won’t name...

The rest of the first party applications in Sense 5 get a complete makeover too, many of which rely on a pivot bar design which is very Holo-like. It’s actually surprising to me how well HTC managed to stick to the pivot bar design pattern, even in ways that I haven’t seen the first party Google applications...

I have been using Sense 5 for a while now and don’t have a problem with it, in fact, it’s just about the cleanest and most sensible skin I’ve seen on Android to date...

:O

'crap skins'

what does Sense add?

TouchWiz adds many things, some people may not like some or all of them, but some people do. the lastes Sense instead removes things like the ability to easily place a shortcut on your home screen.

also, phones with the same specs have lower battery life and worse benchmarks with Sense than TouchWiz.

LG ... well, at least they added QSlide, QNote, Qtoggles and other Qapps... and their battery performance also seems to be better than HTC.

They are crap cos they all look like shit. Yes they have nice / borderline useful features but IMO Sense 5 floors all of them on looks. Note I am talking about Sense 5 not Sense 4 which I will gladly agree looked awful, Sense 5 has been praised for been significantly lighter on performance.

The HTC One has the best hardware out there (talking full package, camera, mic, speakers) and yet it constantly gets shitted on around here and I am not quite sure why.

tino

Banned
They are crap cos they all look like shit. Yes they have nice / borderline useful features but IMO Sense 5 floors all of them on looks. Note I am talking about Sense 5 not Sense 4 which I will gladly agree looked awful, Sense 5 has been praised for been significantly lighter on performance.

The HTC One has the best hardware out there (talking full package, camera, mic, speakers) and yet it constantly gets shitted on around here and I am not quite sure why.

If you can change icons do you still consider a skin "look like shit"? Serious question

Blackhead

Redarse
If you can change icons do you still consider a skin "look like shit"? Serious question

How easy is it to theme the icons in the settings app, the status bar icons, notification icons, the icons in the multitasking menu, the lockscreen icons etc? Serious question.

Ragus

Banned
Hey folks, I have a question about data upload/download. On my Note II, when I'm using 3g/H+, orange and green arrows next to 3g/H+ logo only show up when I'm actually doing something on the internet (browsing, checking email, etc.). On the other hand, when I'm using WiFi, those little orange/green arrows are lightened up all the time.

Why is that? I'm afraid that when the phone is in idle state and is still connected to Wifi, there may still be battery drainage because of that.

You would have to be able to change system wide icons as well and the aesthetics of some things need a complete revamp for me toggles in the nitification pull down of touchwiz need looking at.

But lets not get off topic here my post is pretty much exclusively directed at the HTC / HTC One's bad rep in Android GAF. My point is IMO HTC has delivered far beyond what I thought was a version 1.0 revamp produt where the company has realised it's mistakes as is now attempting to correct them.

Sense 5 is a huge jump in the right direction
Ultrapixel camera
very good speakers
OIS Camera
Noise rejecting mic for video recording that does a very good job
sensitive mic for phone calls

Only criticisms I can level at the hard ware:

humidity and temperature sensors missing a la GS4, I hope we will see devs and users begin to use this
No temperature sensor under screen to improve typing a la Z10
Down clokcing of processor to 1.7Ghz

The phone does not deserve its bad rep.

tino

Banned
How easy is it to theme the icons in the settings app, the status bar icons, notification icons, the icons in the multitasking menu, the lockscreen icons etc? Serious question.

There are 2 ways to theme icons, at the launcher level; or theme it idividually with Folder Organizer. You can assign multiple icon/pointers for an app but the painful part is putting the proper Folder Organizer pointers in the proper positions on the screen. It work across multiple launchers but for backup a "layout" you need Titanium.

As for notification icon themes nobody ask for it but MIUI has very good and frankly the only solution. Everything else the moment you flash a rom you are stuck with the same notification icons. MIUI is the only one that can change app switch screen icons when you app icons.

Lock screen is case by case, some OEM launchers let you change it some don't. But none of them has good pattern lock solution anyway so I don't use it.

Blackhead

Redarse
For people on here?

Yeah, for people on here. There's widgetlocker and shit but that just covers the regular lockscreen not actual themeing. I looked into the root side and you'd have to get deoxy ROM and start manually replacing assests (unless you get a MUIU ROM and assuming that's available for your device). It's not exactly drag-n-drop for people on here either.

tino

Banned
But lets not get off topic here my post is pretty much exclusively directed at the HTC / HTC One's bad rep in Android GAF. My point is IMO HTC has delivered far beyond what I thought was a version 1.0 revamp produt where the company has realised it's mistakes as is now attempting to correct them.

Dude majority of people dismissed HTC One in this forum because it has non removable battery and not expendable. Had HTC announced the China version of One with the SD card slot I would have come to defend the One.

Lets go over your list here:
> > > > > > Sense 5 is a huge jump in the right directi

Whatever, its not better or worse than other 2013 competitors. Plus 3rd party launchers.

> > > > > > Ultrapixel camera

This one is a gimmick, it still uses the same Bayer pattern for the sensor and it basically sacrifice day time resolution for night time/indoor IQ.

> > > > > > very good speakers
> > > > > > OIS Camera
> > > > > > Noise rejecting mic for video recording that does a very good job
sensitive mic for phone calls

I will give you these.
Only criticisms I can level at the hard ware:

humidity and temperature sensors missing a la GS4, I hope we will see devs and users begin to use this
No temperature sensor under screen to improve typing a la Z10
Down clokcing of processor to 1.7Ghz

The phone does not deserve its bad rep.

Is not bad rep, its just universal meh reaction across board in multiple forums. Also HTC went from the original design of the One X/S to this rip off iPhone design. more meh.

Sony clearly tried harder than HTC this year and deserve a 2nd place recommendation.

Oh just for snubbing the US market the SD card slot I personally think HTC deserve a fuck you.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
To be fair at least HTC made their base model 32 gigs. While Sammy gives you a micro sd slot they only shit their base model with 16 gigs of storage.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
To be fair at least HTC made their base model 32 gigs. While Sammy gives you a micro sd slot they only shit their base model with 16 gigs of storage.

micro sd card on the gs4 is kinda pointless if touchwiz still emulates the internal space as the sd card storage.

I have a 32 gig micro sd card in my gs3 that doesn't hold anything but pics cause the os doesn't move apps to it.

Well they went from this:

to this:

So not really a joke I expect.

That looks nothing like an iPhone, are you an Apple lawyer, rounded corners?

In fact, if you check out one of the pictures on the Anand review (lol I know you won't), they show the backs of the DNA, the One X and the One and they're basically identical to each other, so saying they went from the One X design to an iPhone design is way off.

tino

Banned

In fact, if you check out one of the pictures on the Anand review (lol I know you won't), they show the backs of the DNA, the One X and the One and they're basically identical to each other, so saying they went from the One X design to an iPhone design is way off.

Its not a rip off it pays fucking homage to the iPhone. Who cares its a less interesting design than the One S/X.

so they look like pictures taken with an HTC One in fair to great lighting?

if anything, it looks like the Galaxy Tab/Galaxy player redesign, which was explicitly made to *not* look like an Apple device.

Sense 5 does seem like an improvement overall speed wise. It definitely doesn't seem like it's slowing things down any-more, at least in all the videos I've seen. But it's a step back in a bunch of ways too. HTC continues their trend of making things harder for absolutely no reason other than to be different. This droid life video shows a few examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k8ZeC5yuOKI

They should offer a lot more customizability options for sense 5 and it would be nearing on great. Instead they kind of chose to limit things (even physical things like buttons) and forced their weird design decisions upon the users. It's a shame, I genuinely think that phone is 2-3 things away from being as perfect as a non nexus phone could be.

that's one thing i gave them props for from the start. everyone needs to move to 322GB base for flagships.

micro sd card on the gs4 is kinda pointless if touchwiz still emulates the internal space as the sd card storage.

I have a 32 gig micro sd card in my gs3 that doesn't hold anything but pics cause the os doesn't move apps to it.

kinda pointless to you. amazing for me. probably because i went for root my Note 2 asap.

Sense 5 does seem like an improvement overall speed wise. It definitely doesn't seem like it's slowing things down any-more, at least in all the videos I've seen. But it's a step back in a bunch of ways too. HTC continues their trend of making things harder for absolutely no reason other than to be different. This droid life video shows a few examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k8ZeC5yuOKI

They should offer a lot more customizability options for sense 5 and it would be nearing on great. Instead they kind of chose to limit things (even physical things like buttons) and forced their weird design decisions upon the users. It's a shame, I genuinely think that phone is 2-3 things away from being as perfect as a non nexus phone could be.

That's awful :|

zedge

People hate on touchwiz? Sense is just awful, what a clunky stupid pos.

Touchwiz looks worse but works better and Sense looks better (in most ways) but works worse. That's my comparison. Actually that's a pretty apt comparison for the devices they will represent in general. HTC One will be functionally inferior in most cases, but it will look better. And vice versa for the S4. Just about what you value more.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/htc-one-802w-china-microsd/

Man wtf. Why does China get an HTC One with a Micro SD and whatnot? Damn, they really should have done that worldwide.

No LTE. I'd much rather have a faster phone if I already have 32 or 64gb.

People hate on touchwiz? Sense is just awful, what a clunky stupid pos.

Everyone hates touchwiz, because its the worst looking UI by a long shot out of all the android phones.

Btw if you think Sense is clunky, you haven't used Sense 5. It's the complete opposite of clunky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom