• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take it I am the only person on this forum who actually thought the facebook home thing had nice aethetics or looked good. Never going to install it though but thought the interface was good.

HTC has problems but sense really isnt the big one, crrap skins have not stopped Samsung making huge profits in fact they have stated one of the reasons for sticking with the same old design is because they don't want to confuse consumers who bought earlier galaxies. LG made profit last quarter growing sales and both these companies have crappier skins than Sense 5.

HTC One looks a great device but they appear to have underestimated the problems associated with bringing one off hardware - camera and case to market.

Can I ask what was so dissapointing about WP8?

'crap skins'

what does Sense add?

TouchWiz adds many things, some people may not like some or all of them, but some people do. the lastes Sense instead removes things like the ability to easily place a shortcut on your home screen.

also, phones with the same specs have lower battery life and worse benchmarks with Sense than TouchWiz.

LG ... well, at least they added QSlide, QNote, Qtoggles and other Qapps... and their battery performance also seems to be better than HTC.

Very big response, but it's still not HTC's fault you can't add widgets to facebook home or have ads. His original point.

Your response, while lengthy, had nothing to do with the original point.

they are shipping a mobile handset with a stock launcher that doesn't have the ability to do that. how is it *NOT* their fault?

won't this be non-functioning once google dismembers the back end?

just like everyone else who used that backend, they're working on a solution.

they are shipping a mobile handset with a stock launcher that doesn't have the ability to do that. how is it *NOT* their fault?

Fair enough. If I get a customer coming in with an S3 who stupidly put on Facebook Home and is complaining he's getting ads on his lockscreen, i'll just tell him to blame HTC.

When he leaves confused i'll redirect him to Neogaf.

Chinner

Banned
any idea on how i should customize a gaming page? i have no imagination, and i can only really replicate the simplicity and ugliness that of ios

Fair enough. If I get a customer coming in with an S3 who stupidly put on Facebook Home and is complaining he's getting ads on his lockscreen, i'll just tell him to blame HTC.

When he leaves confused i'll redirect him to Neogaf.
Or you'll tell him to uninstall FB Home and go back to TouchWiz. How would that work with HTC First?

iOS actually gained ground on Android last quarter right? In the US I mean. Pretty nuts considering it's very few phones against a zillion android phones. It will probably go back and forth in coming months with the release of the S4 then the 5S.

zedge

Posting from my new Samsung Chromebook. Pretty damn slick so far. Wanted a new tablet but this was cheaper and much better with the keyboard and trackpad imo.

Install a new launcher?

Either way HTC didn't design this program at all.

Is that even possible with HTC First?

Therein lies the problem. HTC are shipping a phone with their branding but using third party software. Neither Samsung or Sony (the other major Android players) took this step, and that is pretty telling.

Is that even possible with HTC First?

Therein lies the problem. HTC are shipping a phone with their branding but using third party software. Neither Samsung or Sony (the other major Android players) took this step, and that is pretty telling.

Well Facebook had to choose someone after all.

They're even considering this for W8 phones, just not iphone.

When it comes down to it though, allowing advertisements to pop up on a home screen is a decision that only Facebook can make, after all, it's going through their servers. The only thing HTC did was design a (crap) phone for one version of it.

So did HTC ever explain why on EARTH the power button is on top on the One. I was watching a hands on and it's actually really annoying.

They never publicly stated anything, but I guess to keep the same look as a remote with the IR plastic cap on the top too? Samsung showed it doesn't need that, but I did wonder what disadvantage the Samsung phone has in not using that clear plastic that all IR remotes since the beginning of time have used.

Install a new launcher?

Either way HTC didn't design this program at all.

On another topic, better make sure you're strapped in tight before you make a video with the S4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDMpnvedwvs&feature=player_embedded

indeed. i expect the number of low light comparison photos and optical image stabilization video comparisons to grow exponentially as the launch date draws closer.

iOS actually gained ground on Android last quarter right? In the US I mean. Pretty nuts considering it's very few phones against a zillion android phones. It will probably go back and forth in coming months with the release of the S4 then the 5S.

i expect iOS share in the US to rise now that T-Mobile has them, or will later this month...

They never publicly stated anything, but I guess to keep the same look as a remote with the IR plastic cap on the top too? Samsung showed it doesn't need that, but I did wonder what disadvantage the Samsung phone has in not using that clear plastic that all IR remotes since the beginning of time have used.
It's weird, the S4 has the bigger screen, the bigger battery, the smaller casing, yet they managed normal power button placement and IR placement. I bet it'll be fine that they didn't use any of the clear plastic though. The One is definitely a weirdly designed phone. Especially if you take into account the whole repair thing too from ifixit.

i expect iOS share in the US to rise now that T-Mobile has them, or will later this month...
ah yeah that's true too. Should be interesting.

So did HTC ever explain why on EARTH the power button is on top on the One. I was watching a hands on and it's actually really annoying.

no idea. i mean it's not like they always did things that way, my Sprint Mogul had the power button on the side.

Well Facebook had to choose someone after all.

They're even considering this for W8 phones, just not iphone.

When it comes down to it though, allowing advertisements to pop up on a home screen is a decision that only Facebook can make, after all, it's going through their servers. The only thing HTC did was design a (crap) phone for one version of it.
having Facebook Home as the default launcher is a decision that was made by one entity.

The High Tech Computer Corporation of Taoyuan City, Taiwan.

it's there. see left side.

AlICKk6l.jpg

It's not enough that android phones are big already but having to reach around to the top just to turn it on at every use is weird. Can't believe during testing no one thought it was a bad idea.

Also side note, I know someone who has had a chance to see an S4 in person yesterday and he was gushing about it, and he was basically 100% dead set on buying a nexus 4/xperia ZL lol. Now he's a convert. He didn't say anything new, mostly that it feels better in the hand than the S3 (quality wise I think he meant), and that the screen is fucking amazing.

gcubed

it goes back and forth every quarter now

bob page

I'm pretty sure, for the last few months at least, Android is far outpacing iOS. Apple has adjusted their guidance to lower expectations for the next earnings (estimates are down for all handheld units except the iPad mini), while Samsung is expecting record revenues.

I'm pretty sure, for the last few months at least, Android is far outpacing iOS. Apple has adjusted their guidance to lower expectations for the next earnings (estimates are down for all handheld units except the iPad mini), while Samsung is expecting record revenues.
it is not, android has lost ground to the iphone. http://www.gsmarena.com/comscore_on_us_market_apple_ios_rise_android_down-news-5822.php

It'll probably rock back and forth since the iphone will be available in another carrier, plus the 5S announcement, then the release of the S4 before that. But yeah it's not far outpacing anything. The 2 together though are far outpacing the rest, lol. Still though it's impressive for apple considering how few phones they got.

hey guys, the HTC First runs stock android, not Sense!

it is not, android has lost ground to the iphone. http://www.gsmarena.com/comscore_on_us_market_apple_ios_rise_android_down-news-5822.php

It'll probably rock back and forth since the iphone will be available in another carrier, plus the 5S announcement, then the release of the S4 before that. But yeah it's not far outpacing anything. The 2 together though are far outpacing the rest, lol. Still though it's impressive for apple considering how few phones they got.

Samsung up, other droids down... lol.

having Facebook Home as the default launcher is a decision that was made by one entity.

The High Tech Computer Corporation of Taoyuan City, Taiwan.

[/IMG]

And again, you're arguing against a point no-one made. No-ones arguing whose fault it is that Facebook Home is preloaded on the HTC First. The issue is no widgets and ads on facebook Home, and that isn't anything to do with HTC.

it's there. see left side.

AlICKk6l.jpg

Ahhh.. god knows how I missed it when I was using one. Guess I wasn't looking for it.

reKon

Banned
It's not enough that android phones are big already but having to reach around to the top just to turn it on at every use is weird. Can't believe during testing no one thought it was a bad idea.

Also side note, I know someone who has had a chance to see an S4 in person yesterday and he was gushing about it, and he was basically 100% dead set on buying a nexus 4/xperia ZL lol. Now he's a convert. He didn't say anything new, mostly that it feels better in the hand than the S3 (quality wise I think he meant), and that the screen is fucking amazing.

The S4 doesn't really look that bad. It think it looks good, but wish they pushed more for a more inspiring design
no nature either
. I don't get those who are saying that it's absolutely ugly though. Was it bad photos or are they just that salty for no reason?

The S4 doesn't really look that bad. It think it looks good, but wish they pushed more for a more inspiring design
no nature either
. I don't get those who are saying that it's absolutely ugly though. Was it bad photos or are they just that salty for no reason?
they're just pulling an apple now. It comes with the popular brand territory. The s5 will probably be a bigger design change. They're probably on that tick tock schedule as well. At least when it comes to overall hardware.

Also when a company has a popular product like the galaxy line, the salt comes in droves.

And again, you're arguing against a point no-one made. No-ones arguing whose fault it is that Facebook Home is preloaded on the HTC First. The issue is no widgets and ads on facebook Home, and that isn't anything to do with HTC.
HTC assembles the mobile handset. HTC also chooses and assembles the software package that is factory loaded onto said mobile handset. HTC is to blame.

no nature either
pure salt. the 4 and 4S were identical minus the markings on the left side of the case. there are various things different about the GS4.

bob page

Samsung said the Galaxy S4 would be their last phone with them in the shadow of Apple, so maybe the next revision will have a modified design?

HTC assembles the mobile handset. HTC also chooses and assembles the software package that is factory loaded onto said mobile handset. HTC is to blame.

So then you're saying HTC are to blame then for ads on a Facebook Home loaded Samsung S3?

It's funny. I've read tons of tech sites and forums about this new Facebook Home since it was announced and the only people blaming HTC for this are 3 people on Neogaf.

Keep fighting the good fight people.

i can only assume that they only tested it with people who were already used to that button placement or something...

So then you're saying HTC are to blame then for ads on a Facebook Home loaded Samsung S3?

It's funny. I've read tons of tech sites and forums about this new Facebook Home since it was announced and the only people blaming HTC for this are 3 people on Neogaf.

Keep fighting the good fight people.

my methodology is pretty simple. i blame whoever loaded the software onto the handset. in the case of the HTC First, that would be the High Tech Computer Corporation of Taoyuan City, Taiwan.

if the Samsung Galaxy S3 came with Facebook Home preloaded as the default launcher, i would blame Samsung for that device.

my methodology is pretty simple. i blame whoever loaded the software onto the handset. in the case of the HTC First, that would be the High Tech Computer Corporation of Taoyuan City, Taiwan.

if the Samsung Galaxy S3 came with Facebook Home preloaded as the default launcher, i would blame Samsung for that device.

It wouldn't be Samsung's fault either. They don't control what Home is putting on your screen. It all goes through facebooks servers.

I guess we should blame HTC and Samsung too if my lockscreen is full of bad memes too.

Groof

But then if beneath the launcher is stock android and all you have to do is to disable Facebook Home, then you get a $100 stock android device.

It wouldn't be Samsung's fault either. They don't control what Home is putting on your screen. It all goes through facebooks servers.

I guess we should blame HTC and Samsung too if my lockscreen is full of bad memes too.
was the bad meme lockscreen app factory installed?

But then if beneath the launcher is stock android and all you have to do is to disable Facebook Home, then you get a $100 stock android device.

does it matter if its stock when its not a Nexus?

tino

Banned

You pay 100 plus 2 year contract for a downgraded One S. HTC and ATT are laughing all the way to the bank.

buhdeh

Damn Anandtech really loves the HTC One. Phone's been getting great reviews everywhere.

On another note, I played with the Bell Sony Xperia ZL today and was pretty amazed. Screen looked great to me, don't really get the viewing angle complaints. Amazingly, it's the same width as my Nexus 4 but noticeably shorter lengthwise. The skin was pretty good looking though the on screen buttons should have had a black background (why on earth is it even gray?). Noticed a little lag swiping (probably the shitastic stock widgets) and going into the recent apps menu though. Loved the feel of the phone - especially that the back gives it some much needed grip unlike the S3 and Nexus 4 I've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom