• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all a lie in the end. The X Phone was "delayed". Something tells me the the X phone was always going to be the next nexus one. Or at the least, one of them :p

The flat look. It's lovely

Took a look at the UI pics on anandtech. Yeah it is nice they've smoothed everything relative to the 3D look. My main thing is the dock and the theme HTC has going on out of the box still reminds me of my old phone. I remember installing this awesome dark theme on the sensation that made everything consistent. Thankfully the Nexus 4 had a similar theme made for it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gsmarena_001.jpg

Groof

Took a look at the UI pics on anandtech. Yeah it is nice they've smoothed everything relative to the 3D look. My main thing is the dock and the theme HTC has going on out of the box still reminds me of my old phone. I remember installing this awesome dark theme on the sensation that made everything consistent. Thankfully the Nexus 4 had a similar theme made for it.

Never owned an HTC device, but I've used one and boy, I hated the experience with Sense so bad. Looks so bad and outdated, overall laggy and janky. Sense 5 looks like an incredible step up. Wish I could get my hands on one of them Ones.

Gowans

My Mrs has just swapped from iPhone (used for the last 4 years) to Android (S3 Mini),

It's a fine phone, gona sit down and set it up tonight, any tips on apps.

We used to use Find my iPhone daily, any good alliterative (latitude?)

What else are must haves?

My Mrs has just swapped from iPhone (used for the last 4 years) to Android (S3 Mini),

It's a fine phone, gona sit down and set it up tonight, any tips on apps.

We used to use Find my iPhone daily, any good alliterative (latitude?)

What else are must haves?

A lot depends on what she needs to use. Here's a few I use.

Safe in Cloud (password manager)
Tasks (to do lists)
Reddit Sync (awesome reddit browser)
Falcon Pro (Best Android Twitter Client)
Expense Manager (Simple but beautiful Erm expense manager)
Google Keep (simple note taking app)
Pocket (Read it later type client)
Pocketcasts (Best podcast app for android)
Tune In Radio Pro (Digital Radio)

All the Google apps obviously. I hear cerebrus is pretty good for locating misplaced phones, remote wipes etc.

Xperia Nexus get!

http://developer.sonymobile.com/201...r-xperia-z-on-sonys-github-open-source-video/

Well not really Xperia Nexus, but an officially supported port of AOSP to Xperia Z. Last time I talked to my contacts at SMC they said they want AOSP for Xperia Z to become feature complete and available to anyone with an unlocked bootloader, but there is a long way to go and resources for the project are slim right now because of unforeseen delays to the 2012 Xperia updates, but once that is fixed they want Xperia Z to be an almost alternate Nexus device with official support, and very fast support for newer versions of Android just like other Nexus phones.

besiktas1

Getting a little pissed that my replacement nexus 4 hasn't arrived yet. Kind of ridiculace a phone I've has for just over 2 months then not have it for 2 weeks.
Is there an email of one of the nexus guys I can send a complaint email to?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So far so good with the kernel change and audio mod that I both flashed yesterday. I'll admit though I can't tell a difference in the audio.

ScOULaris

It's unhealthy how much I'm looking forward to Google Babel. I don't even know exactly why, but I'm hyped up the ass for this fabled cross-platform consolidation of Google's chat services.

I set up a daily Google Alert for "Google Babel," and yet I still find myself searching around every day for leaks and/or updates.

The thing's gonna have 800+ emojicons, people. 800!

babel1_560.jpg

buhdeh

Facebook messenger supposedly updated with stickers. Function doesn't even seem to exist. More fine work from the Facebook Android team.

I have 100GB free with Google drive for 2 years after buying a chromebook. What happens to my data when the 2 years is up? Anyone know? Will I get an opportunity to download that data off again once the 2 years is up?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I have 100GB free with Google drive for 2 years after buying a chromebook. What happens to my data when the 2 years is up? Anyone know? Will I get an opportunity to download that data off again once the 2 years is up?

Anything you've added past the default free storage amount (whatever it ends up being in 2 years) will be kept, but you won't be able to upload anything more until you remove enough to get back under the free quota.

All content stored on Drive can be downloaded at any time either individually (file by file), or in bulk using Google Takeout or the desktop Drive client.

Anything you've added past the default free storage amount (whatever it ends up being in 2 years) will be kept, but you won't be able to upload anything more until you remove enough to get back under the free quota.

All content stored on Drive can be downloaded at any time either individually (file by file), or in bulk using Google Takeout or the desktop Drive client.
Whoa so I can keep 100GB on the drive forever and access/download it infinite number of times? Just won't be able to add anything until I get under the free quota? Sounds too good to be true.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whoa so I can keep 100GB on the drive forever and access/download it infinite number of times? Just won't be able to add anything until I get under the free quota? Sounds too good to be true.

Yup.

http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2736362

Google said:
When you cancel your storage plan or when your storage plan expires, your storage limits will be set back to the free levels for each product at the end of your billing cycle. Everything in Google Drive, G+ Photos and Gmail will still be accessible, but you won't be able to create or add anything new over the free storage limit.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^

Google I/O is in less than a month. Just wait for that and ignore the rumours.

HTC One got 8.5. This reviewer also said he would pay personally choose the HTC One over the S4 :O

Everyone expected this season's flagships to be S4 in front, Xperia Z close behind and HTC One nowhere to be seen.

Instead the tech review consensus seems to be the HTC One clearly ahead with the S4 in second place and the Xperia Z/ZL barely worthy of consideration. Very surprising.

None of the S4 reviews so far have adequately gone through the features I care about. I'll have to sde it for myself before deciding.

Cipherr

GwgKLy9.png

Look at that design score for the S4.

Here it is last year for the S3:

rreIvXT.png

They are planting their flag. They don't like plastic, and they don't like the design. Change that shit or else. Gooooooooooood I cannot wait to read the comments and whatnot tomorrow. I'm not gonna get ANY work done for laughing at the hurt feelings.

catmincer

I'm not surprised. The One looks awesome and the reviews for it have all been positive. Obviously the S4 will still outsell it but HTC have made a proper competitor this time. As for Sony, nice design and water resistance is good but I dread the timeframe for updates. ;)

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm not surprised. The One looks awesome and the reviews for it have all been positive. Obviously the S4 will still outsell it but HTC have made a proper competitor this time. As for Sony, nice design and water resistance is good but I dread the timeframe for updates. ;)

Actually Sony just released an ASOP for Xperia Z program which might mean the fastest updates of any flagship. Stock Android and a quick update to KLP would make it the clear winner over HTC One and S4 for me. I'll have to wait 'til the Google I/O event to see if KLP is worth the hype.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly if your on AT&T or T-Mobile in the US you'd be crazy to not get the HTC One with that Radio Shack deal going on over the S4. Your getting the phone for $189 and a $50 Google Play card. Considering since HTC went with 32 gigs stock that it'll be fine for most use cases I think that's a steal considering 32 gig phones are usually $300.

Blackhead

Redarse
Honestly if your on AT&T or T-Mobile in the US you'd be crazy to not get the HTC One with that Radio Shack deal going on over the S4. Your getting the phone for $189 and a $50 Google Play card. Considering since HTC went with 32 gigs stock that it'll be fine for most use cases I think that's a steal considering 32 gig phones are usually $300.

If you're in the USA you'd be crazy to sign to sign a contract with any carrier receive a branded phone.

Stop being lured by all these promos people. It's not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom