• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

PriitV

Need to get rid of my Gnex, Nexus 4 or GS3? (Europe, so I can only get a Gs3 with 1gb ram).

How's the battery life on the 4 compared to the shitty battery life I have now.
I get 2 days of moderate usage out of my N4, screen time around 3h, lots of idle standing and podcasts.

thanks for the help groof and original thinking, just downloaded nova and seems great so far. 2 quick questions regarding it: 1. will this drain the battery more? 2. on the stock launcher, when the screen is locked and you do your security pattern to 'open' the phone it goes to the default home screen (in my case i have 3 home screens and the middle/2nd is the 'default') - however, with nova it just returns to whatever screen i was last on. is there anyway i can set it that it always returns to the default/main 2nd screen?

No it won't drain your battery.

And yes you should be able to set your default home screen in nova settings...

Q7FcCFE.jpeg

From this screen you can change your default screen (it's the ticked one). You get to this screen by 2 finger pinching your home screen then you can long press on the screen you want and move it to the ticked position to make it your default, or delete it. Or add a screen using the plus button.

Groof

Need to get rid of my Gnex, Nexus 4 or GS3? (Europe, so I can only get a Gs3 with 1gb ram).

How's the battery life on the 4 compared to the shitty battery life I have now.

The N4's battery life really depends on usage. For example, today I unplugged it from the charger at 7.30am and had around 30% battery left by 1pm with very heavy usage (chatting, podcasts, internet browsing, Currents etc almost consistently.) Other days with barely any use I can get through the day having only lost 20%. So it very much depends on how you use it.

Jake.

No it won't drain your battery.

And yes you should be able to set your default home screen in nova settings...

hmm, i have it set how you have it in your picture but it doesn't work - if i lock the screen, then unlock, it goes back to whatever screen i was on as opposed to the default screen (screen 2 of 3). it also seems to have gotten rid of the low battery sound notification? sorry for all the q's.

hmm, i have it set how you have it in your picture but it doesn't work - if i lock the screen, then unlock, it goes back to whatever screen i was on as opposed to the default screen (screen 2 of 3). it also seems to have gotten rid of the low battery sound notification? sorry for all the q's.

See my edited post above!

that's what i was replying to! mine looks exactly the same, yet still when i lock > unlock it does not return to the default, just whatever last screen i was on.

exactly.

Hmmmm. Yeah I don't know about that. You can set the home button though to scroll back immediately to your default page when you press it. It does mean another button press, but if you have lots of screen it's quicker than swiping.

Jake.

that's fair enough, i guess you can't have everything. thanks to both of you for your help! is it normal that the low battery notification sound has been disabled?

The N4's battery life really depends on usage. For example, today I unplugged it from the charger at 7.30am and had around 30% battery left by 1pm with very heavy usage (chatting, podcasts, internet browsing, Currents etc almost consistently.) Other days with barely any use I can get through the day having only lost 20%. So it very much depends on how you use it.

I get 2 days of moderate usage out of my N4, screen time around 3h, lots of idle standing and podcasts.

Well that doesn't sound bad actually, as I always have a feeling that my Gnex is leaking juice all over the place when I use or don't use it. (tried different kernels, that didn't do much for me).

Also my drain is pretty much 1-1.5% per hour on standy which I also don't like about the GN.

I'll probably go with the N4 because of twice the ram (never enough ram) if the difference in battery life compared to the GS3 isn't that big (I know both have the same mAh's but the OS works probably a little different?)

Only thing I am a little afraid of is the glass on the back, I like it, but it probably wouldn't survive what my GN wen't through? (and it still looks like I never dropped it)

Well that doesn't sound bad actually, as I always have a feeling that my Gnex is leaking juice all over the place when I use or don't use it. (tried different kernels, that didn't do much for me).

Also my drain is pretty much 1-1.5% per hour on standy which I also don't like about the GN.

I'll probably go with the N4 because of twice the ram (never enough ram) if the difference in battery life compared to the GS3 isn't that big (I know both have the same mAh's but the OS works probably a little different?)

Only thing I am a little afraid of is the glass on the back, I like it, but it probably wouldn't survive what my GN wen't through? (and it still looks like I never dropped it)

Battery life is much better on an N4, than the GNexus. On completely stock with lots of stuff working in the background I tend to get between 3 - 3 and a half hours screen time. On My G Nexus I was lucky if I got 2 and a half hours. 2 hours was more realistic.

I, too, am waiting for the KLP and have been waiting for almost a year now (4.2 was a very minor update, idk what Google was thinking). :(

There was only a few months between 4.1 and 4.2, so it was never going to be a massive update, but they needed something to launch the Nexus 4 with. This should be a much bigger release. I'm sure there are things they were working on since last I/O which weren't ready or right for 4.2 which will be announced. Messaging, games etc etc.

reKon

Banned
I don't get it. You can compare this to GSMArena's test and I understand that the tests are different, but the results are off by a lot. I don't understand how the iPhone's is so high in all of Anandtech's tests, yet I keep seeing people bitching about the iPhone 5 battery life and saying that the 4S's was better. It doesn't make sense to me.

54313.png

I don't get it. You can compare this to GSMArena's test and I understand that the tests are different, but the results are off by a lot. I don't understand how the iPhone's is so high in all of Anandtech's tests, yet I keep seeing people bitching about the iPhone 5 battery life and saying that the 4S's was better. It doesn't make sense to me.
anyone who says that doesn't know what they're talking about. iphone 5 has way better battery than 4S. And this is coming from someone who has used a 4S for almost 2 years.

The only way that makes sense is if they're comparing LTE to 3G or something along those lines. If we're keeping to wifi tests, I know the iPhone 5 has an crazy long usage period and definitely isn't inferior to the iPhone 4s.

reKon

Banned
I guess the iPhone 5 still remains battery king then (when in use). It's kind of sad at this point. I would like to see them include the Droid Razr Maxx in these tests.

ScOULaris

I guess the iPhone 5 still remains battery king then (when in use). It's kind of sad at this point. I would like to see them include the Droid Razr Maxx in these tests.

Doesn't it mostly come down to the fact that the iPhone isn't allowing hardly anything to run when it's not the active application? Or are the batteries that Apple puts in their devices better and/or higher capacity as well?

mturco

Doesn't it mostly come down to the fact that the iPhone isn't allowing hardly anything to run when it's not the active application? Or are the batteries that Apple puts in their devices better and/or higher capacity as well?

That's probably part of it but the smaller screen probably uses a lot less power too. And I don't know about the quality of their batteries, but they're definitely not higher capacity.

iPhone 5 - 1440 mAh
HTC One - 2300 mAh
Galaxy S4 - 2600 mAh

reKon

Banned
This is also useless to me. I can't compare anything. I want to see HTC One and Galaxy S4 browsing tests using LTE or HSPA+. Also, why is the HTC One result for 3G? These results are hard to interpret other than the fact that the HTC One X saw a boost when going from 3G > 4G. So maybe HTC One running LTE with a good signal would hit over 7 hours?

54312.png

Blackhead

Redarse

54313.png
iphone 5 excels at LTE
anyone who says that doesn't know what they're talking about. iphone 5 has way better battery than 4S. And this is coming from someone who has used a 4S for almost 2 years.
I very much disagree with Anandtech's battery tests. It doesn't excel in my use at all. In my experience with four different iPhone 5s, since launch, Anandtech's battery tests don't reflect real world usage at all.

mturco

I very much disagree with Anandtech's battery tests. It doesn't excel in my use at all. In my experience with four different iPhone 5s, since launch, Anandtech's battery tests don't reflect real world usage at all.

I've always found them hard to believe too, but there's nothing to disagree with, right? I mean, assuming they're not fudging the numbers, they're actually getting those results from their tests somehow. Which is bizarre.

Pctx

Banned

To be fair, how much of that is moving around vs. static like their tests? Also different beacon intervals on their equipment / coverage map of their test area vs. yours. (assuming you're talking about Wi-Fi and not 3G/4G data)

Nilaul

If the X is truly customizable, Ill have a slide-out keyboard, dual-sim and a touchscreen with glove compatibility. Processor and ram to pumped up to the maximum. :) Ill also try to keep the phone to a reasonable size, not to small not too big.

Fatalah

That's probably part of it but the smaller screen probably uses a lot less power too. And I don't know about the quality of their batteries, but they're definitely not higher capacity.

iPhone 5 - 1440 mAh
HTC One - 2300 mAh
Galaxy S4 - 2600 mAh

Has there been talk of Key Lime Pie introducing new battery life efficiencies similar to iOS6? Something about improving chipset integration or something.

iPhone 5 - 1440 mAh
HTC One - 2300 mAh
Galaxy S4 - 2600 mAh

What? 1440 mAh is insanely small for a high-end phone these days. I know they're always going crazy when it comes to the battery in the iPad (11560 mAh, 43 Whr in the 4th gen), so I thought they did the same with the iPhone.

mturco

Has there been talk of Key Lime Pie introducing new battery life efficiencies similar to iOS6?Something about how improving chipset integration or something.

There were a bunch of rumors of a "Project Roadrunner" prior to 4.2 being released but it turned out to all be fake. I think there's only so much Google can do to Android to improve battery life / lower power consumption. It's really more up to the device manufacturers who are writing the lower level code I would think. If anything, I think Google would just put in a more intelligent "power saving mode" or something.

What? 1440 mAh is insanely small for a high-end phone these days. I know they're always going crazy when it comes to the battery in the iPad (11560 mAh, 43 Whr in the 4th gen), so I thought they did the same with the iPhone.

Yeah, makes you realize how efficient it is with its power.

iPhone 5 - 1440 mAh
HTC One - 2300 mAh
Galaxy S4 - 2600 mAh
apple just does a better job managing background tasks (aka doesn't allow many lol). The OS is tightly programmed. I expect one of the big things of key lime pie for android to be better optimization for battery in terms of how the OS handles background applications and things like that because what they have now is a bit of a jungle. I swear to god I have things running on my android phones that I haven't even launched. I kill them and they open back up on their own. They need to solve the stupid stuff like that.

I don't know. Other people in my family have iphone 5s on LTE most of the day and they get GREAT battery. Our LTE connection is great though. I'd consider them almost reflective. Obviously all these benchmarks are stupid but I consider it close to that.

Just had an extensive hands on with a retail GS4. Amazing phone. Hardware feels nice, the screen is absolutely amazing and it doesn't feel too big in my hand. I read the review from The Verge, but I didn't see any evidence of slow down while I used it (SD600 ver, UK Generic 4.2.2), it was ultra-fast.

I really like it, but I still prefer the smallness of the ZL. Just pulled the trigger on one for €555 from Amazon.de, can't wait for it to arrive! Fuck Sony for not releasing their best phone in the UK.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've always found them hard to believe too, but there's nothing to disagree with, right? I mean, assuming they're not fudging the numbers, they're actually getting those results from their tests somehow. Which is bizarre.

To be fair, how much of that is moving around vs. static like their tests? Also different beacon intervals on their equipment / coverage map of their test area vs. yours. (assuming you're talking about Wi-Fi and not 3G/4G data)

Well Anandtech changed their battery tests when reviewing the iPhone 5:
Going into the iPhone 5 review I knew we needed to change the suite. After testing a number of options (and using about 16.5GB of cellular data in the process) we ended up on an evolution of the battery life test we deployed last year for our new tablet suite...

And the results definitely changed. Here's a battery review from before the new suite designed with the iPhone 5 :
nrTsip9.png

HTC is off to an incredible start with our 3G web browsing tests. Even if you assume that Android and iOS are on even footing from a power efficiency standpoint, the HTC One X is easily able to equal Apple's best in terms of battery life. In reality my guess is that the 4S is at a bit of an unfair advantage in this test due to how aggressive iOS/mobile Safari can be about reducing power consumption, but either way the AT&T One X does amazing here. The advantage isn't just because of the larger battery either, if we look at normalized results we see that the One X is simply a more efficient platform than any other Android smartphone we've tested...

zWYssyr.png

This particular graph doesn't tell the full story however. In practice the AT&T One X seems to last a lot longer using LTE than any LTE Android phone we've tested in the past. Nipping at the heels of the RAZR MAXX...

But with the new iPhone 5 battery tests:

Notice the huge difference in the HTC One X and iPhone 4S results?! Anandtech says the new tests better reflect phone usage. *shrug* I'm just not seeing it.

Just had an extensive hands on with a retail GS4. Amazing phone. Hardware feels nice, the screen is absolutely amazing and it doesn't feel too big in my hand. I read the review from The Verge, but I didn't see any evidence of slow down while I used it (SD600 ver, UK Generic 4.2.2), it was ultra-fast.

I really like it, but I still prefer the smallness of the ZL. Just pulled the trigger on one for €555 from Amazon.de, can't wait for it to arrive! Fuck Sony for not releasing their best phone in the UK.
the ZL size is really the best thing. I tried it again yesterday at the mall and man is it right. Hopefully future phones take note. Glad google at least seems to be seriously talking up the small phones/limited bezel thing.

the ZL size is really the best thing. I tried it again yesterday at the mall and man is it right. Hopefully future phones take note. Glad google at least seems to be seriously talking up the small phones/limited bezel thing.

I can't wait until it arrives, a guy at work has one and he has been raving about it for weeks since his arrived from Amazon.de. I asked him about the battery life, he said that it lasts around a day and a half and he no longer has to charge it at work.

Pctx

Banned
I can't wait until it arrives, a guy at work has one and he has been raving about it for weeks since his arrived from Amazon.de. I asked him about the battery life, he said that it lasts around a day and a half and he no longer has to charge it at work.
it feels like how I imagine a HIGH END phone to feel, materials are arguable but the type of plastic used feels nice but I mean it just fits in your hand nicely AND doesn't compromise on much to do so.

I'm sure you'll dig it and toss your Z in the trash (you have one right:p)

it feels like how I imagine a HIGH END phone to feel, materials are arguable but the type of plastic used feels nice but I mean it just fits in your hand nicely AND doesn't compromise on much to do so.

I'm sure you'll dig it and toss your Z in the trash (you have one right:p)

I had a loaned Z, for about a week which sadly I had to give back. It was too big anyway, I mean I have big hands but I feel like it's just too big.

I wanted a white one, but a guy at SMC said get the black one because the white plastic could stain if I wear jeans and keep it in the pocket.

Blackhead

Redarse
They say if it was AT&T LTE or Verizon LTE?

I can't see if Anandtech specified AT&T or Verizon LTE for the iPhone 5 but the iPhone 4S and definitely the HTC One X (AT&T) should be on the same network. And Anandtech is implying the iPhone 4S' and HTC One X's battery life cut in half with the new test.

Pctx

Banned
I can't see if Anandtech specified AT&T or Verizon LTE for the iPhone 5 but the iPhone 4S and definitely the HTC One X (AT&T) should be on the same network. And Anandtech is implying the iPhone 4S' and HTC One X's battery life cut in half with the new test.

Which is odd (hence your questioning of it) considering that their stick to measure seems different based on the test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom