• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from Beijing! There are shitloads of mobile phones on the streets of this city of over 20 million. Naturally, the native Chinese brands like Huawei, Oppo, and Lenovo are dominant, but there are Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note II everywhere I look. There are actually a lot more Note II in Beijing than any city in the US that I've been to. There's iPhones and iPads everywhere too. Thankfully, China is an HTC-free zone. I don't see any shitty HTC products anywhere.

20130424_092301.jpg

reKon

Banned
Hello from Beijing! There are shitloads of mobile phones on the streets of this city of over 20 million. Naturally, the native Chinese brands like Huawei, Oppo, and Lenovo are dominant, but there are Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note II everywhere I look. There are actually a lot more Note II in Beijing than any city in the US that I've been to. There's iPhones and iPads everywhere too. Thankfully, China is an HTC-free zone. I don't see any shitty HTC products anywhere.

hahaha, oh you

andthebeatgoeson

How so? You get 10 GB free and get to keep any additional storage you purchase (you just can't upload more unless you resubscribe or get back under the free limit.)

Because you can't upload any more. I look at these things as keeping a ton of my files and just adding to it. Don't want to have to clean the fridge. I might be missing something

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Because you can't upload any more. I look at these things as keeping a ton of my files and just adding to it. Don't want to have to clean the fridge. I might be missing something

You're not paying a one-time fee though. If you keep your yearly subscription you get to upload up until your paid limit.

markot

Banned

HTC is from China! The REAL China. Taiwan, the independent nation that creates superior products to the other china which I wont even capitalise properly due to my disdain.

If your talking about what I posted I was just actively messing with you with a pic from your photobucket gallery.

PS: I just logged into Facebook on my desktop, and it appears I've got graph search now!

Say goodbye to your image privacy! There was a big controversy about the image search awhile back. I don't know if Facebook changed the default settings on that yet.

DXPett1

HTC is from China! The REAL China. Taiwan, the independent nation that creates superior products to the other china which I wont even capitalise properly due to my disdain.

Say that in China.... I double dare you.

Not surprised about the note 2 popularity in China. Samsung has the market in most of Asia

Android gaf, give me a hand please.

I wanna upgrade my phone, but I also don't wanna waste alot of money, after looking around for all the phones and prices I'm leaning towards the Huawei Ascend P1. Am I about to make a huge mistake?

Angst

Android gaf, give me a hand please.

I wanna upgrade my phone, but I also don't wanna waste alot of money, after looking around for all the phones and prices I'm leaning towards the Huawei Ascend P1. Am I about to make a huge mistake?

What is your budget? Wouldn't the Nexus 4 be a better choice? If custom ROMs are a big thing for you I would definitely stay away from the Huawei...

If I remember correctly you have an S2 now? If so, the Huawei doesn't really seem like much of an upgrade.

Groof

Apex Launcher just released v2.0.0 beta 1 with a buncha new stuff, like folders in app drawer and customizable notification badges.

What is your budget? Wouldn't the Nexus 4 be a better choice? If custom ROMs are a big thing for you I would definitely stay away from the Huawei...

If I remember correctly you have an S2 now? If so, the Huawei doesn't really seem like much of an upgrade.

An S2? I wish :p

I had some problems with my brothers S2 so maybe I posted about it here, don't remember. But I have this old thing:
Only with an awesome custom rom. So yeah, custom roms are kind of a big thing, but I read that the device is possible to root. Is it just the dev scene that isn't as big for the Huawei?
It's not a deal breaker though.

I give higher priority to a decent screen resolution. Something like 480x320 is just a no-no.

My budget is around 200€-250€

Anyone use Cliffhanger? It doesn't send me notifications anymore and the option is still ticked. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue.

Angst

An S2? I wish :p

I had some problems with my brothers S2 so maybe I posted about it here, don't remember. But I have this old thing:

Only with an awesome custom rom. So yeah, custom roms are kind of a big thing, but I read that the device is possible to root. Is it just the dev scene that isn't as big for the Huawei?
It's not a deal breaker though.

My budget is around 200€-250€

Ok, the Huawei will definitely be an upgrade over that old thing! :) The dev scene for the Huwaei seems very small, there's not even a dedicated forum on XDA for it. Someone is doing an unofficial port of CM10 though, which might be good.

You could get an S2 for ~200 EUR - I actually have one in my drawer that I don't use. It's in good condition, with CM10.1 and the extended battery.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Gimme one of those Lenovo metal phones

Ok, the Huawei will definitely be an upgrade over that old thing! :) The dev scene for the Huwaei seems very small, there's not even a dedicated forum on XDA for it. Someone is doing an unofficial port of CM10 though, which might be good.

You could get an S2 for ~200 EUR - I actually have one in my drawer that I don't use. It's in good condition, with CM10.1 and the extended battery.

Can't get a used one though as this will be a company phone. I'd buy yours otherwise :p

Zeppu

Bad reception on a phone is an advantage too so you don't get bothered by pesky calls.

Hahaha. But seriously, one person uses one phone held directly in front of the face at an optimal angle all the time. When does having bad angles really detract from one's experience?

Groof

Hahaha. But seriously, one person uses one phone held directly in front of the face at an optimal angle all the time. When does having bad angles really detract from one's experience?
I like to use my phone without picking it up at times when I'm doing something else and it's nice to be able to see what's going on. Also when watching a video with a friend.

I'll give you one example, I propped my phone up on the desk at work here to watch Netlfix (it was slow here lol) and the phone wasn't straight on at my face, with a poor screen it would have looked washed out.

Plus putting a phone down on a table and looking over to see who text messaged you wouldnt be easy with a poor viewing angle.

I don't personally think it's a huge deal tbh, but it's certainly not an advantage lol

Zeppu

I like to use my phone without picking it up at times when I'm doing something else and it's nice to be able to see what's going on. Also when watching a video with a friend.

I'll give you one example, I propped my phone up on the desk at work here to watch Netlfix (it was slow here lol) and the phone wasn't straight on at my face, with a poor screen it would have looked washed out.

Plus putting a phone down on a table and looking over to see who text messaged you wouldnt be easy with a poor viewing angle.

I don't personally think it's a huge deal tbh, but it's certainly not an advantage lol

Well, okay I was under the impression that it wasn't that bad, just that it stays crisp up to 130 degrees rather than better displays which have 170 degrees. I.e. the viewing angle is no where near the top of what's currently available.

Now at 130, I think that usage like you two mentioned should be fine. Using some basic maths, if your head is 30cm above a desk (i.e. you're slumping really badly) you'd need to have the phone 65cm away and flat on the surface before you start seeing any impact of the viewing angles.

That of course depends on my assumption that the angle is around 130, which I could be wrong about.

Edit: Looking at pics it seems that the angles are lower than that. Nevermind then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom