• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturco

apple just does a better job managing background tasks (aka doesn't allow many lol). The OS is tightly programmed. I expect one of the big things of key lime pie for android to be better optimization for battery in terms of how the OS handles background applications and things like that because what they have now is a bit of a jungle. I swear to god I have things running on my android phones that I haven't even launched. I kill them and they open back up on their own. They need to solve the stupid stuff like that.

iOS isn't coded more "tightly", they just have a different philosophy on multitasking (the only app "running" is the one in the foreground and then other apps can run background services). Android actually runs multiple apps at once and while that might be unnecessary, it's how it has always worked and I really don't see Google changing that. As for apps seemingly randomly popping up in your recent apps list... it's likely that those apps have some background services running (that aren't started by the user, because that defeats the purpose).

Maybe Google should make it so only apps opened by the user show up in that list. That would eliminate confusion and prevent people from thinking they're running a million apps and feeling like they need to swipe them all away every time to free up resources.

iOS isn't coded more "tightly", they just have a different philosophy on multitasking (the only app "running" is the one in the foreground and then other apps can run background services). Android actually runs multiple apps at once and while that might be unnecessary, it's how it has always worked and I really don't see Google changing that. As for apps seemingly randomly popping up in your recent apps list... it's likely that those apps have some background services running (that aren't started by the user, because that defeats the purpose).

Maybe Google should make it so only apps opened by the user show up in that list. That would eliminate confusion and prevent people from thinking they're running a million apps and then proceed to swipe them all away every time.
that's the thing though, I open the apps up and disable all syncing and notifications and EVERYTHING. They still pop up. It's something google needs to get a handle on. Much stricter permissions on how background processes are handled/running. Same shit with the multitasking UI. You swipe things away and sometimes it doesn't actually close them. And sometimes it doesn't even show things running. It's just ridiculous stuff. And these are just some examples. Like I said, Android is a bit of a jungle, iOS is tighter. Not saying Android should become iOS, not even close, but time to mow that jungle down and make things a lot easier/clearer for people to trek through. Nothing should happen that you don't specifically and clearly permit.

mturco

that's the thing though, I open the apps up and disable all syncing and notifications and EVERYTHING. They still pop up. It's something google needs to get a handle on. Much stricter permissions on how background processes are handled/running. Same shit with the multitasking UI. You swipe things away and sometimes it doesn't actually close them. And sometimes it doesn't even show things running. It's just ridiculous stuff. And these are just some examples. Like I said, Android is a bit of a jungle, iOS is tighter. Not saying Android should become iOS, not even close, but time to mow that jungle down and make things a lot easier/clearer for people to trek through. Nothing should happen that you don't specifically and clearly permit.

There's not as much of a difference between the two as you think. iOS is running all those background services too, it's just not showing you that it is (which is actually a good thing in my opinion).

And yes, swiping away apps from the recent apps list essentially does nothing. All it actually does is tell Android that if/when it needs resources, it can feel free to kill the app you just swiped because you've basically said "I'm done with it now." So it doesn't actually do anything until it needs to. I'm pretty sure this is how all mobile OSes work (unlike Windows for example).

Except the difference is on my iOS devices I know none of these services are doing anything noticable to my battery life whereas for android I know they are depending on what it is.

Also absolutely nothing runs on iphones without you permitting it to do so. And there's no chain reactions either which there on android. For instance if one app needs another service or multiple services then using the one app will start running everything else it needs, even if you have that stuff checked off.

I have used iphone/android extensively. Generally similar, but in real world use they are very different in the way they handle tasks and permissions and things that are happening on an OS Level. I mean google has admitted as much themselves that they need to get a handle on everything going on.

Except the difference is on my iOS devices I know none of these services are doing anything noticable to my battery life whereas for android I know they are depending on what it is.

Also absolutely nothing runs on iphones without you permitting it to do so. And there's no chain reactions either which there on android. For instance if one app needs another service or multiple services then using the one app will start running everything else it needs, even if you have that stuff checked off.

I have used iphone/android extensively. Generally similar, but in real world use they are very different in the way they handle tasks and permissions and things that are happening on an OS Level. I mean google has admitted as much themselves that they need to get a handle on everything going on.

I think there's some kernel level stuff due to hit in the next version of android which ties up with linux. This apparently may help with battery life.

mturco

There's no way of knowing that (iOS doesn't even break down battery usage by app).

Actually they both work almost identically in that respect. You just don't know what's running in the background on iOS because it isn't shown anywhere.

I agree, they are very different in a lot of ways, but I've developed an Android app and did a lot of research on iOS programming (I planned to port the app) and trust me, they are very similar when it comes to background services.

Edit: If you're interested, here are the relevant documentation pages.
http://developer.apple.com/library/...cationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html
http://developer.android.com/training/run-background-service/index.html

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So HTC is already pushing out an update to the EU version of the One. Supposedly you get audio and camera enhancements a long with stability and location notification tweaks.

Pctx

Banned
I think there's some kernel level stuff due to hit in the next version of android which ties up with linux. This apparently may help with battery life.

There are. The developers are working on daemons that are system level that do very low level function stuff that is causing battery drain due to the way Android is right now. The most I've seen and heard about it, it is akin to how Apple does most of their system operations which will improve battery life noticeably for end users of people who get KLP. Also, there is going to be a new "permissions" catch-all that KLP introduces (ala Vista UAC et al) that will force a lot of the malicious apps to not be able to run remotely in the background unless the end user says so.

The fork on this I believe has to do with the delta updates from the Play Store of which will force the system level check based on the bit=0 or bit=1 on the security daemon come KLP.

buhdeh

There are. The developers are working on daemons that are system level that do very low level function stuff that is causing battery drain due to the way Android is right now. The most I've seen and heard about it, it is akin to how Apple does most of their system operations which will improve battery life noticeably for end users of people who get KLP. Also, there is going to be a new "permissions" catch-all that KLP introduces (ala Vista UAC et al) that will force a lot of the malicious apps to not be able to run remotely in the background unless the end user says so.

The fork on this I believe has to do with the delta updates from the Play Store of which will force the system level check based on the bit=0 or bit=1 on the security daemon come KLP.

See this is why I can't get away from Nexus. I just know once it hits, I'll be itching to get dat KLP on my phone ASAP if I had an S4/One/ZL

Pctx

Banned
See this is why I can't get away from Nexus. I just know once it hits, I'll be itching to get dat KLP on my phone ASAP if I had an S4/One/ZL

The very reason that I bought my Nexus 4. As soon as it is announced @ I/O we should see it start syncing on the update servers for a release that week. The rumors of KLP getting delayed are (from my knowledge) unfounded as Google is really trying to move into the "you see it, you get it" business model to keep pushing Android forward.

Also, as a side note, 8GB is quite a bit for a phone and I can't imagine buying or spending money for more storage that until this point for me as been idle space. Queue the hoarders and people who like music bashing me.

Pctx

Banned
with battery life. I dont want to go from a galaxy nexus to a nexus 4. I want a freaking battery

So I'm trying to understand this complaint. My Skyrocket lasted maybe 6-7 hrs at best. My Nexus 4 lasts me 13-18 (of similar use as the Skyrocket) hours depending on how I use it. A GNex should last you at least that much if not longer. No idea why anyone would be getting less time than that out of a N4 unit.

gcubed

So I'm trying to understand this complaint. My Skyrocket lasted maybe 6-7 hrs at best. My Nexus 4 lasts me 13-18 (of similar use as the Skyrocket) hours depending on how I use it. A GNex should last you at least that much if not longer. No idea why anyone would be getting less time than that out of a N4 unit.

usage time. My issue is that i use my phone for my entire commute in the morning, by the time i get into work my phone is dead. I want something that can get more then 4 hours screen time, can the n4? It doesn't matter, i'm not bailing until the next nexus/OS releases anyway.

reKon

Banned

you have no idea, lol

usage time. My issue is that i use my phone for my entire commute in the morning, by the time i get into work my phone is dead. I want something that can get more then 4 hours screen time, can the n4? It doesn't matter, i'm not bailing until the next nexus/OS releases anyway.

uh, how long is your commute in the morning? I spent like 30-35 mins on the train and it will go from like 96 % to like 78% with medium/heavy usage..

Pctx

Banned

you have no idea, lol

I've seen 5 hours of screen time over at XDA on stock and longer with the Franco kernel.

I use my phone to stream TuneInPro over BT on the way to work. My commute is about 30-45 minutes. Get in, phone is down to 92% off charge, then depending on cell coverage at my work (which shockingly is better on HSPA/HSPA+ than switching between LTE and HSPA) and my LLAMA profiles, push e-mail on 3 exchange accounts, push on Gmail, surfing talking, etc, I'm down to 71% right now. By the end of my work day, on and off the phone as usual, end up around 1.5-2hrs of screen time and then same thing on the way home, stream in the car over BT. Get home usually around 25-30%. Rest of the evening I get down to the teens for battery power and put it on the charger with 2.5-3 hrs of screen time (thus far, haven't had the thing more than a week yet) and its ready by morning.

For me, I feel like a power user based on usage but maybe I'm not. *shurg*

reKon

Banned
I've seen 5 hours of screen time over at XDA on stock and longer with the Franco kernel.

I use my phone to stream TuneInPro over BT on the way to work. My commute is about 30-45 minutes. Get in, phone is down to 92% off charge, then depending on cell coverage at my work (which shockingly is better on HSPA/HSPA+ than switching between LTE and HSPA) and my LLAMA profiles, push e-mail on 3 exchange accounts, push on Gmail, surfing talking, etc, I'm down to 71% right now. By the end of my work day, on and off the phone as usual, end up around 1.5-2hrs of screen time and then same thing on the way home, stream in the car over BT. Get home usually around 25-30%. Rest of the evening I get down to the teens for battery power and put it on the charger with 2.5-3 hrs of screen time (thus far, haven't had the thing more than a week yet) and its ready by morning.

For me, I feel like a power user based on usage but maybe I'm not. *shurg*

The Galaxy Nexus radio is terrible in terms of efficiency and the screen is a big battery hog. Anyone getting 5 hours for the GNex on Franco's kernel was not doing any gaming, probably had brightness below 50% and was on Wifi and not 3G/4G at all.

The Nexus 4 has much better battery life because the radio isn't crap, the S4 processor is more efficient, and it's not an AMOLED screen.

Pctx

Banned
The Galaxy Nexus radio is terrible in terms of efficiency and the screen is a big battery hog. Anyone getting 5 hours for the GNex on Franco's kernel was not doing any gaming, probably had brightness below 50% and was on Wifi and not 3G/4G at all.

The Nexus 4 has much better battery life because the radio isn't crap, the S4 processor is more efficient, and it's not an AMOLED screen.

yes, yes and yes. I swear half of my battery savings coming from Samsung is the IPS screen that doesn't suck the living bejebus out of the battery.

You won't get 4 hours. My average is somewhere between 3 hours 15 minutes and 3 hours 30 minutes. If you really need a road warrior, you'll struggle unless you start looking at Razr Maxx or Note 2 type devices. failing that, buy a portable battery. I've got a Trent one which can charge my phone fully 4 times over.

with battery life. I dont want to go from a galaxy nexus to a nexus 4. I want a freaking battery

Nexus 4 isn't that bad after the 4.2.2 update and it will be the first phone to get KLP with all of the battery enhancing features Google/Qualcomm are said to be working on so that in itself will make the battery life bearable. With I/O just weeks away getting a Nexus 4 is not a bad bet, especially if you want fast updates.

Otherwise Xperia Z has the new Sony AOSP push, but that's still in it's infancy and I wouldn't want to recommend a phone that is not guaranteed to get KLP AOSP, I know they want to do it, but with the way Sony works it's always a bit of crap shoot. I mean the original plan was to update Xperia S to 4.1 back in November, and here we are heading into May without an update...

Nexus 4 isn't that bad after the 4.2.2 update and it will be the first phone to get KLP with all of the battery enhancing features Google/Qualcomm are said to be working on so that in itself will make the battery life bearable. With I/O just weeks away getting a Nexus 4 is not a bad bet, especially if you want fast updates.

Otherwise Xperia Z has the new Sony AOSP push, but that's still in it's infancy and I wouldn't want to recommend a phone that is not guaranteed to get KLP AOSP, I know they want to do it, but with the way Sony works it's always a bit of crap shoot. I mean the original plan was to update Xperia S to 4.1 back in November, and here we are heading into May without an update...

Also Nexus 4 > Xperia Z. I'm serious. Screen on the Z is a massive let down. It doesn't even appear notably sharper despite the resolution increase.

buhdeh

If the Nexus 4 LTE rumor is true... I might even jump on that. Love everything about the phone except the camera. Although I'm hoping they can just enable it via software considering it was already there before (for Canadians).

gcubed

You won't get 4 hours. My average is somewhere between 3 hours 15 minutes and 3 hours 30 minutes. If you really need a road warrior, you'll struggle unless you start looking at Razr Maxx or Note 2 type devices. failing that, buy a portable battery. I've got a Trent one which can charge my phone fully 4 times over.

thats the only hopes i have for the xphone.

If the Nexus 4 LTE rumor is true... I might even jump on that. Love everything about the phone except the camera. Although I'm hoping they can just enable it via software considering it was already there before (for Canadians).

The camera is a lot better than you might think. I was in Venice recently and took some decent shots, but I'd advise keeping HDR mode switched on to get the best out of it.

buhdeh

I guess it's not that bad but my old 4S took better shots. Doesn't really matter though
since I'm waiting for the 16MP X Phone anyways

Also Nexus 4 > Xperia Z. I'm serious. Screen on the Z is a massive let down. It doesn't even appear notably sharper despite the resolution increase.

That's what happens when you lose the panel lottery. D:

The Z I used AAC W07 was, I'm quite sure, a Sharp panel, the same panel just got tested by GSMArena in the ZL and they measured it at 1294:1 CR, Nexus 4 has a CR of 1341:1, the difference is so minimal that it wouldn't be noticed by anyone without a professional eye for it. If you had the Sharp panel it is more than likely you were being caught out by the hateful grey UI elements that make the screen look washed out. If you lost the panel lottery and got a JDI screen then I fully understand the comments, the JDI panels vary from around 500:1 to 800:1 CR, noticeably worse than Nexus 4.

All I want from KLP is a good looking OS. Is that too much to ask?

Well we already have that.......

That's what happens when you lose the panel lottery. D:

The Z I used AAC W07 was, I'm quite sure, a Sharp panel, the same panel just got tested by GSMArena in the ZL and they measured it at 1294:1 CR, Nexus 4 has a CR of 1341:1, the difference is so minimal that it wouldn't be noticed by anyone without a professional eye for it. If you had the Sharp panel it is more than likely you were being caught out by the hateful grey UI elements that make the screen look washed out. If you lost the panel lottery and got a JDI screen then I fully understand the comments, the JDI panels vary from around 500:1 to 800:1 CR, noticeably worse than Nexus 4.

This is from the demo unit sent to our shop. You'd think Sony would send us one with the best panel possible. Stuff looks great in "Bravia mode" but that's restricted to the stock gallery and video player. Their choice of grays in elements of the UI doesn't help.

I fully believe they'll be ditching holo dark. Besides the obvious fact that holo light looks better, pretty much all their apps have been moving over to light. The OS is going to look super slick when it's all moved over.

Groof

AMOLED users gonna be mad when it goes white
(I mean blue)

a41jlg.gif

I just set up a black Samsung S3 for the first time today. We've only ever had blue and white available to us. It felt....different. I'm not too sure how to describe it, but it felt a lot more solid. I gave it to a collegue to hold and he agreed. We just can't work out why.

I just set up a black Samsung S3 for the first time today. We've only ever had blue and white available to us. It felt....different. I'm not too sure how to describe it, but it felt a lot more solid. I gave it to a collegue to hold and he agreed. We just can't work out why.

Denser plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom