• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, okay I was under the impression that it wasn't that bad, just that it stays crisp up to 130 degrees rather than better displays which have 170 degrees. I.e. the viewing angle is no where near the top of what's currently available.

Now at 130, I think that usage like you two mentioned should be fine. Using some basic maths, if your head is 30cm above a desk (i.e. you're slumping really badly) you'd need to have the phone 65cm away and flat on the surface before you start seeing any impact of the viewing angles.

That of course depends on my assumption that the angle is around 130, which I could be wrong about.

Edit: Looking at pics it seems that the angles are lower than that. Nevermind then.

You lost me at math. My head hurts now.

Talon

Well, okay I was under the impression that it wasn't that bad, just that it stays crisp up to 130 degrees rather than better displays which have 170 degrees. I.e. the viewing angle is no where near the top of what's currently available.

Now at 130, I think that usage like you two mentioned should be fine. Using some basic maths, if your head is 30cm above a desk (i.e. you're slumping really badly) you'd need to have the phone 65cm away and flat on the surface before you start seeing any impact of the viewing angles.

That of course depends on my assumption that the angle is around 130, which I could be wrong about.

Edit: Looking at pics it seems that the angles are lower than that. Nevermind then.
Yeah, Sony's screen panel fuck ups are absurd. It's literally the most important part of the phone.

Hieberrr

Guys, guys!

BItZZZMCcAEFZQc.jpg:large

http://www.chrome.com/supersyncsports/

I'll give you one example, I propped my phone up on the desk at work here to watch Netlfix (it was slow here lol) and the phone wasn't straight on at my face, with a poor screen it would have looked washed out.

Plus putting a phone down on a table and looking over to see who text messaged you wouldnt be easy with a poor viewing angle.

I don't personally think it's a huge deal tbh, but it's certainly not an advantage lol
indeed, it's not an advantage. especially if you have a dock or kickstand for your handset.

Who invited the button up nerd with the tablet?

you mean Sam?

HBP

Android noob here so if anyone can answer my question I would appreciate it. I am looking to get a cheap used/refurb 7" Android tablet, is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 any good? I am looking at that and the Nexus 7 they seem to be about the same price but the Samsung has the SD card slot which sounds nice.

Also are the Lenovo tablets any good? I have seen them for only about $100.

I mostly want the tablet for browsing and running emulators with a controlled.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The way they handled the notification light on this is how I imagine every phone with a physical home button to use it.

More deets:

There's not much surprise left to LG's Optimus G Pro reveal set for next Wednesday in New York. We've already seen the device slip through the FCC and recently had a previewed glimpse of the potential hardware. But thanks to an anonymous tipster, we now have more insight to the the upcoming AT&T variant's specifications. Based on the official doc we had a look at, LG's managed to keep this US model mostly in line with its global sibling, porting over the same 5.5-inch form factor, 3,140mAh battery, 1.7GHz Snapdragon 600 processor paired with 2GB RAM, a healthy 32GB of internal storage (expandable via microSDXC to 64GB), 2.1-megapixel front-facing / 13-megapixel rear cameras, NFC and WiFi a/b/g/n. What has changed is the actual screen technology used, which should find this AT&T G Pro employing a Full HD IPS panel as opposed to the True HD-IPS+ in the original. Additionally, and unsurprisingly, the device's radios have been tweaked, with the AT&T G Pro now supporting the carrier's flavor of LTE (700/1700 MHz), HSPA+21 (850/1900/2100 MHz) and quadband GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz).

Though it would be nice to see LG bump up this Optimus G Pro to a more current version of Android -- namely, 4.2.2 -- the AT&T model will likely ship with the more dated 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Continuing further down the software track, carrier bloat looks to be at a minimum as only two automobile-specific apps are mentioned in the document: AT&T DriveMode and Navigator. Aside from that, LG's own software suite makes the transition, bringing along QSlide 2.0 (a multiwindow feature), Dual Recording (for the picture-in-picture effect), Tag+ for NFC, VuTalk (a note sharing app), QuickMemo, Notebook and the ability to preset the Home Key's LED. That enough of a preview for you? Stay tuned for the real deal to be unveiled next week.

/guilty pleasure

Danj

I've no idea if this is even possible with Android, but I figured I'd ask anyway (for reference, I have a Sony Xperia Z).

Is there a way to record video in the background? I.E. start video recording, then have it continue while you go do something else. The particular scenario I have in mind would be liveblogging an event, so I would want the video to be recording in the background while I would use a Bluetooth keyboard to liveblog things. Is that doable? Or would I be better off just dedicating the phone to video recording and using wifi with a netbook/Chromebook or something to do the liveblogging?

Android noob here so if anyone can answer my question I would appreciate it. I am looking to get a cheap used/refurb 7" Android tablet, is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 any good? I am looking at that and the Nexus 7 they seem to be about the same price but the Samsung has the SD card slot which sounds nice.

Also are the Lenovo tablets any good? I have seen them for only about $100.

I mostly want the tablet for browsing and running emulators with a controlled.

well, if you want to run emulators, the Tegra 3 inside the Nexus 7 will be a bit more handy than the Tegra 2 inside the Tab 2.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/9219904986/shootout-samsunggalaxys4-vs-htcone-vs-iphone5-vs-lumia920

Interesting article from an apparent highly regarded photography magazine. Compares the camera between the One, S4, iPhone 5 and Lumia 920.

Best overall camera is the S4
Best low light is One
Best bright light level is the S4 but the One has more dynamic range
IPhone 5 is good but not standout
Nokia is poop
Stop crushing Nokia fan dreams!

On a side note I just discovered LMT Gestures, WOW, true full screen browsing without loosing notifications or functionality. For the first time in a long time I am impressed by a ROM feature.

guys...

IrHoHxc.jpg

and you can make it go straight to speakerphone mode -> PocketNow: Galaxy S 4 Guided Tour: Gesture & Motion Features, Group Play, Easy Mode, & More

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/9219904986/shootout-samsunggalaxys4-vs-htcone-vs-iphone5-vs-lumia920

Interesting article from an apparent highly regarded photography magazine. Compares the camera between the One, S4, iPhone 5 and Lumia 920.

Best low light is One
Nokia is poop

wow, Nokia got bodied.

I think that 99% of people will actually forget half of the stuff they can do with the S4. Even as someone who's a tech nut and has to sell this stuff I forget. Like just putting your phone up to year ear to call someone from a text conversation. I bet most people with an S3 don't even realise they can do it.

gcubed

I think that 99% of people will actually forget half of the stuff they can do with the S4. Even as someone who's a tech nut and has to sell this stuff I forget. Like just putting your phone up to year ear to call someone from a text conversation. I bet most people with an S3 don't even realise they can do it.

That is actually really cool

That seems a lot more troublesome than just pressing accept. Especially if its not always functional like they said about the features in the reviews.

the hand gestures are the ones most reviewers say work well. and if you say swiping accept is less troublesome, you're not really thinking of the scenarios where this is useful.

lightus

guys...

and you can make it go straight to speakerphone mode -> PocketNow: Galaxy S 4 Guided Tour: Gesture & Motion Features, Group Play, Easy Mode, & More

wow, Nokia got bodied.

Interesting but I'm not sure when I'd ever use that feature. I would say in the car, but I have bluetooth.

I can see it being more of a pain than anything:
"Oh, phone ringing. Lemme see who it is"
-accidentally answers phone when going to reach for it.

Not trying to be overly-critical. Just not sure I understand when the function is more convenient than traditional methods.

edit: Just noticed I was beating a dead horse.

edit edit:
the hand gestures are the ones most reviewers say work well. and if you say swiping accept is less troublesome, you're not really thinking of the scenarios where this is useful.

I'm in this boat. Maybe when your hands are wet, or it's cold out and you aren't wearing your QTC enhanced gloves?

i wonder which will hit Boost/Virgin first... the Motorola Photon Q or the LG Mach...

I'm in this boat. Maybe when your hands are wet, or it's cold out and you aren't wearing your QTC enhanced gloves?

seriously, the post right above yours has a pretty generic scenario that many people can relate to.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Best low light is One
Nokia is poop

S4 and One are being released 6 months after the iP5 and L920. That's a long time in phone tech. Six months from now we'll be looking at phones that destroy the S4 camera, including from Nokia.

Samsung always put good sensors on their phone, and this time they coupled it with good software, which was not the case on the last Samsung phone I owned, the Focus S. 13mp was a good call, they'll be top dog in phone cameras until the fall most likely.

zedge

S4 and One are being released 6 months after the iP5 and L920. That's a long time in phone tech. Six months from now we'll be looking at phones that destroy the S4 camera, including from Nokia.

Samsung always put good sensors on their phone, and this time they coupled it with good software, which was not the case on the last Samsung phone I owned, the Focus S. 13mp was a good call, they'll be top dog in phone cameras until the fall most likely.
The camera software on the s2 and s3 is very good also. Blame ms for the lame camera software on wp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom