• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karish

Its not really going to get any faster than it is. Its a 2011 phone in 2013. It may or may not be running the latest version of the OS because Verizon cockblocks updates to it (and because of this they will likely never get another nexus device again).

Outside of making sure it had a decent amount of on board drive space left (supposedly this helps with the speed of the device) and uninstalling apps you dont need, nothing is going to make it blazing fast.

iPhone5 back to a old VZW GNexus is going to be a step back in speed and screen quality both, not to mention battery life. Its just.... an old and discontinued phone mate.

Fair enough. I guess I thought there were some roms out there that could make this sucker feel new.

Fair enough. I guess I thought there were some roms out there that could make this sucker feel new.

If you're still in the cooling off period it might be an idea to sent it back and revert to iPhone 5, it's a better phone. Either that or wait for the GS4 which is better than both.

thespot84

If you want to take a crack at rooting try CyanogenMod as well as JDX (more stock, what I use). You might also try paranoidandroid as well, though it didn't work as well as JDX for me.

I've had the gnex since launch. It's certainly not the latest and greatest, but with 4.2.2 on it it does everything I need it to. I find sometimes if I clear some of my recent apps it will perk up a bit, but for the most part the thing is fine, as long as your note a member of the latest-and-greatest lobby that inhabits most of android GAF.

EDIT: on the same note, maybe glass won't be fast either :

http://team2soft.com/2013/04/26/goo...sor-family-as-the-galaxy-nexus-from-theverge/

- Software and UI. In places it's fine - for example the home screen and app drawer. Then you get to the horror that is the settings menu, the notification bar, dialogue pickers. I can understand not going with stock and trying to create your own brand image. But at least make that image better or equal to stock. Instead you get a horrible mish mash of gingerbread blacks and greens. the on/off switches are an assault on your eyeballs. And yes there is micro lag and stutters from time to time. It's not often, but coming from a Nexus 4, a less powerful device, the S4 is not as smooth. Which is surprising. Don't get me wrong the lag is only very occasional but also very noticeable when it does happen to the trained eye.

That's it. If the negatives are actually things that don't bother you, or in fact may be positives to you.... get the S4, you won't be disappointed. If they do bother you, then look at either the Nexus 4 or HTC One. I'm sorry but the Xperia Z doesn't cut it either unless waterproof is a big thing for you.

The end.

Agree!

Such a beautiful screen, but it also highlight how truely ugly touchwiz is....NEON GREEN EVERYWHERE!
The notification screen looks so horrible ...

Still have the old one here.
Less info, big boxes everywhere looks weird on the Nexus 7. Less info more shiny big ass boxes.

No more featured apps, on Home I get a bunch of suggestions even for apps that I installed once and never used/installed again. So if you dl'ed a shit app be prepared to get shit suggestions...

Groof

Less info, big boxes everywhere looks weird on the Nexus 7. Less info more shiny big ass boxes.

No more featured apps, on Home I get a bunch of suggestions even for apps that I installed once and never used/installed again. So if you dl'ed a shit app be prepared to get shit suggestions...

You can always remove those, you know.

New Play Store > Old.

RM8

I haven't upgraded the Play Store.

In hopes that somehow having an older version makes it easier for me to use any kind of region-unlocking mod in the future :(

Cracked my Razr and my upgrade is coming any day now (Verizon). I'd very much like to get a new phone soon considering the damage on my old one (it still works fine, screen is cracked to shit though).

I've narrowed it down to:

DNA
Galaxy S3
Razr Maxx HD
Galaxy S4

I love the specs and wireless charging on the DNA, but I'm not fond of the seemingly poor battery life, nonremoveable battery and no external storage.

The Galaxy S3 I toyed with at the store seemed very zippy and felt nice, but I know it's old (by tech standards) and the the S4 is coming very soon. The price at $99 is very nice though.

The Razr Maxx HD has some amazing battery life, but is a bit brick like and I'm not a huge fan of my current Razr.

The Galaxy S4 is obviously the latest and greatest, but I'll have to wait a bit over a month for it.

Thoughts on the matter Android GAF?

Pctx

Banned
Cracked my Razr and my upgrade is coming any day now (Verizon). I'd very much like to get a new phone soon considering the damage on my old one (it still works fine, screen is cracked to shit though).

DNA
Galaxy S3
Razr Maxx HD
Galaxy S4

I love the specs and wireless charging on the DNA, but I'm not fond of the seemingly poor battery life, nonremoveable battery and no external storage.

The Galaxy S3 I toyed with at the store seemed very zippy and felt nice, but I know it's old (by tech standards) and the the S4 is coming very soon. The price at $99 is very nice though.

The Razr Maxx HD has some amazing battery life, but is a bit brick like and I'm not a huge fan of my current Razr.

The Galaxy S4 is obviously the latest and greatest, but I'll have to wait a bit over a month for it.

x phone. You've gotta wait till July tho. Otherwise, Maxx HD.

Cudder

I've been out of the Android loop for a while. What is the X phone everyone is talking about? Is it supposed to be a new Nexus?

It kind of is true just through using it now.

It charges on any micro-USB cable, but when I browse the internet with it on, the battery actually goes down. Using the supplied USB charger on the mains, it has quick charge and it does actually charge pretty damn quick. It's my first big-screen flagship Android, so I'm not sure if this is common or it's just exclusive to this.

it comes with a 2 amp charger like the Galaxy Note II. regular chargers are usually 1 amp or 700 ma and will charge it slower.

DNA
Galaxy S3
Razr Maxx HD
Galaxy S4

wait for the S4.

bob page

DNA
Galaxy S3
Razr Maxx HD
Galaxy S4

Depends on if you can find any deals. I got a S3 a month ago for free and I'm more than happy with it. I don't think the S4 warrants a $200 difference for me.

aaaannnddd the ebay daily deal is ... $700 - Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 16GB Factory Unlocked Phone International Version

also...

iFixit Samsung Galaxy S4 Teardown: Samsung Galaxy S4 Reparability Score: 8 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)

there's a smart pause video on the first page that is a MUST SEE!!!

plus:

The placement of the two IR sensors on either side of the earpiece speaker explains how Samsung's new Air View/Air Gesture feature operates. By comparing IR light reflected from your hand into each of the sensors, the phone can track sideways motion as you gesture without touching the screen.

Talon

The X Phone is pretty much a chocolate bar sandwich made with ice cream, smothered in caramel, all sitting on top of a delicious cookie, which is then placed into a graham cracker crust and then doused with whipped cream.

giga

The X Phone is pretty much a chocolate bar sandwich made with ice cream, smothered in caramel, all sitting on top of a delicious cookie, which is then placed into a graham cracker crust and then doused with whipped cream.
Running Firefox OS.

SimleuqiR

Fuck your 4.3 google!

You know, I don't mind a small OS update as long as we get some killer app updates. Bring on Bable, and an even bigger Google Now update integration (with possible boarding pass?). There are a lot of other areas Google can improve without increasing the OS build to 5.0.

IMHO they can wait until releasing the new line of Nexus devices to show case 5.0.

You know, I don't mind a small OS update as long as we get some killer app updates. Bring on Bable, and an even bigger Google Now update integration (with possible boarding pass?). There are a lot of other areas Google can improve without increasing the OS build to 5.0.

IMHO they can wait until releasing the new line of Nexus devices to show case 5.0.

or the xPhone launch

fuck off with this shit, this thread sometimes I swear.
lololllool we don't know shiteeee son. SHITE.

Anyway I could see Key Lime Pie being delayed considering they wanted to launch it on their x phone? Maybe google wants to move it to when that launches. Doesn't mean they can't showcase it though.

google be googling

kinggroin

Banned
my condolences man.

If you're still in the cooling off period it might be an idea to sent it back and revert to iPhone 5, it's a better phone. Either that or wait for the GS4 which is better than both.

You haters can fuck right off with that noise. The GNEXUS isn't the battery life leader, but its hardly slow or shit or any negative description you want to come with. And I'd certainly take one any day over the that fucking embarrassment of an OS Apple throws on that pretentious piece of all-too-small shit they call a "smartphone".

OP, make sure you're on 4.2.2 (its been pushed out a while ago), get a cheap extended battery with back cover, then do a complete system format. Start from scratch.

If you want to speed things up, go into the settings, then about phone, then tap the "build number" at the bottom until you unlock developer options. Go back to main settings then scroll to the bottom and tap developer options. Look for force 2d GPU/Hardware acceleration and turn that on. Than change anything with the word "animation" in it to .5

Reboot (and never install a task killer)

Voila.

Matugi

Got to try out the Galaxy S4 and HTC One today. The S4 does feel plasticy but it's incredibly light and that screen is a stunner.

The HTC One is a beautiful device and I want one so bad, but my hands are tied with Verizon.

kinggroin

Banned
Got to try out the Galaxy S4 and HTC One today. The S4 does feel plasticy but it's incredibly light and that screen is a stunner.

The HTC One is a beautiful device and I want one so bad, but my hands are tied with Verizon.

Jump ship to a GSM provider (T-Mobile works best for me and my wallet) soon as you can!

I was hesitant at first (dat LTE speed and losing my precious), but feel a lot better knowing I have a much wider choice of hardware from here on out without worrying about being tied t a contract either!

The choice is already made for you then lol. Maybe Vrz will give in, if the One does well in sales.

RM8

Installed JB on my Xperia P via Flashtools, it's apparently the Belgian version. It's pretty nice, definitely an improvement over ICS, which was also a pretty huge improvement over Gingerbread - and it turns out Mexico is officially still stuck with Gingerbread for Xperia P phones. What's the logic behind that? Why gimp your products with outdated OS versions like that? If I can install ICS or JB in 10 minutes what's so difficult about approving these updates? Oh well, Mexico's gonna Mexico.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The future is now: you can now root your glasses: http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/google-glass-rooted/

glassbroke-saurik.jpg

VoxPop

You haters can fuck right off with that noise. The GNEXUS isn't the battery life leader, but its hardly slow or shit or any negative description you want to come with. And I'd certainly take one any day over the that fucking embarrassment of an OS Apple throws on that pretentious piece of all-too-small shit they call a "smartphone".

OP, make sure you're on 4.2.2 (its been pushed out a while ago), get a cheap extended battery with back cover, then do a complete system format. Start from scratch.

If you want to speed things up, go into the settings, then about phone, then tap the "build number" at the bottom until you unlock developer options. Go back to main settings then scroll to the bottom and tap developer options. Look for force 2d GPU/Hardware acceleration and turn that on. Than change anything with the word "animation" in it to .5

Reboot (and never install a task killer)

Voila.

Lol jeez. My old Gnex wasn't a bad phone. Far from it. But the usual plastic Samsung back and absolutely atrocious battery life (even with the extended) killed it for me. Used it for a good 9-10 months before swapping it out for the GS3. I certainly wouldn't take it over an iPhone 5 or even a 4 at this point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom