• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

hahaha I don't even think the x phone will work on verizon, definitely don't think the nex5 would.

Yeah :(

I am over CDMA phones, and i'm over verizon. Can't wait to drop that contract. How reliable have peoples GVoice been? I rarely use it for an actual phone number, just texts and voicemail, but i'll port my number to it when i get a new phone. Can you have 2 GV numbers? One you ported and your original GV number?

You know, I'm kinda over CDMA phones as well, but...I kinda want to keep my Verizon account, if only to keep my unlimited data plan (that's why I was hoping there'd be a Nexus 5 and it had a similar price to Nexus 4, cause I won't break the wallet). I am regularly bored at my work, and I stream a LOT of Netflix or Pandora or ESPN Radio (and I can't connect to it's wifi for work reasons).

vivftp

Just aquired a Sony Walkman Z NWZZ1000 for dirt cheap from a friend. It's got Android 4.0.4 on it and is a nice little device. Certainly runs nicer than my crappy Xperia x10a phone and the audio quality is quite amazing!

Since it's not a phone, I don't really know what my options are for modifying/improving it at all. I'm sure the community support for such a device is nil, so anyone able to make any suggestions?

Thanks!

Xperia Z has to be one of the best looking Android phones, on the table it looks like it's inviting you to use it. I've lost count on how many people grabbed it when I left it alone for a minute.

Man if HTC doesn't do their best to capitalize on basically every review mentioning the One is better than the S4....lord help them. They might never get this kind of attention again.

negitoro7

Anyone know of an MHL adapter that is confirmed to work with the HTC One? The official M490 one seems to be discontinued. I bought the Pioneer android kit and it doesn't work.

Talon

If I wanted to use the app to take up 3/4 of the screen, why wouldn't I just use 100% of the screen? Not like we're running dual monitors here.

mturco

If I wanted to use the app to take up 3/4 of the screen, why wouldn't I just use 100% of the screen? Not like we're running dual monitors here.

Yep. Instead you get a smaller, worse version of the app just so you see a small border of the app in the background? Sounds like they're just doing it because they can.

Blackhead

Redarse
...why would anyone want this?

Quick reply to notifications. No need to open the full app just to deal with two emails. It's not a replacement for full multitasking but I'd certainly love to have this option. However it's not enough to tempt me to install a ROM.

3phemeral

Glad I wasn't the only one who wasn't seeing anything. He kept pressing the home button after pulling up the "multi-task" solution, so I was sure what the point was if I could view both app contents side by side. Was it supposed to be less intrusive? Is there a background process that we're not seeing?

Well, according to the comment on the youtube video, this is just the foundation for what they're actually building, so we'll see. I was more impressed with how smooth his phone was with PA running because I could never get my phone that consistently smooth these days.

Talon

Quick reply to notifications. No need to open the full app just to deal with two emails. It's not a replacement for full multitasking but I'd certainly love to have this option. However it's not enough to tempt me to install a ROM.
The implementation they show doesn't seem any less intrusive than opening the app itself.

Fixing a problem that isn't there. I don't gain anything by framing the app.

mturco

... but you ARE opening up the full app, just in a smaller window, right? Or am I missing something?

Plus, I think expanded notifications in 4.2+ would make that unnecessary anyway. Like for the Messaging app for example, CM's quick reply thing is way more useful than this.

Blackhead

Redarse
The implementation they show doesn't seem any less intrusive than opening the app itself.

Fixing a problem that isn't there. I don't gain anything by framing the app.

... but you ARE opening up the full app, just in a smaller window, right? Or am I missing something?

Plus, I think expanded notifications in 4.2+ would make that unnecessary anyway. Like for the Messaging app for example, CM's quick reply thing is way more useful than this.

Expanded notifications isn't flexible enough. It doesn't show up if there is more than one notification from an app and it doesn't provide enough ways to deal with a notification (e.g. Gmail doesn't provide the option for 'Mark as Read' or 'Star' in expanded notifications).

Paranoid Android's implementation solves a real problem: the broken back button. Gmail, for example, takes over the back button stack when opening a notification. Instead of the back button returning to the previous app as I like, it goes back through the gmail folder hierarchy and then leads to the launcher homescreen. I'd much rather have the notification open in a popup that is easily closed without losing my current activity.

Expanded notifications isn't flexible enough. It doesn't show up if there is more than one notification from an app and it doesn't provide enough ways to deal with a notification (e.g. Gmail doesn't provide the option for 'Mark as Read' or 'Star' in expanded notifications).

Paranoid Android's implementation solves a real problem: the broken back button. Gmail, for example, takes over the back button stack when opening a notification. Instead of the back button returning to the previous app as I like, it goes back through the gmail folder hierarchy and then leads to the launcher homescreen. I'd much rather have the notification open in a popup that is easily closed without losing my current activity.
Or as Android Police call it the shuffle button.

Yeah basically all I would like is a similar implementation for apps I don't wan't to open fully or fear that my last app goes into a cached state or gets closed. Replying to a gmail while switching from chrome for example can be a chore as Chrome suddenly likes to reload everything when I switch back.

A pop up for a quick SMS (chatheads is a great solution for example, and considering it's a FB app I'm amazed they did this so well) , Gmail, doing something in settings. Basically just for quick stuff without switching apps fully but with a bit more info on screen.

Also this could work best on big screens/tablets.

mturco

Well I agree the back button behavior isn't consistent (because it's entirely left up to the developer of the app how they want to handle it), but I'd rather we just fix that behavior than open the app in a miniature window on top of everything.

1. Nexus 4 and Chromebook (I love the idea of a Chrome book especially for the price).
2. Lumia 520 (low end but still really snappy since it's WP8) and Surface RT (my dad owns one and it looks awesome) or a $500 Windows 8 laptop

I'm leaning more towards #2 at the moment since I don't need much on my phone beyond communication, web browsing (GAF mainly), podcasts, twitter, and music. Also I'd rather use have the Surface/laptop because it's more versatile.

What do you do with your old PC? It doesn't sound like you do anything special so an ARM tablet like nexus 7 or RT would be fine.

PriitV

franco seems to have some inside information about the subject but is restricted by NDA.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40819407&postcount=27136
Well, I'm not going to fuel this any longer. I know since November that Google is working on a major release for June. Major release its a full incremental version number in my world. There will be another minor release in the Fall. Thats all I can say as I'm under NDA and I can't disclose more information. I haven't seen the new build though if thats what you're thinking.

I'm a little behind, but why not?

I would rather see another large update than some small incremental one. If OEMs are behind, whatever. But don't push it back without releasing the source or anything. I know that sounds stupid, but at least let some ROM developers get to it. Hell, it's free beta testing really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom