• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol jeez. My old Gnex wasn't a bad phone. Far from it. But the usual plastic Samsung back and absolutely atrocious battery life (even with the extended) killed it for me. Used it for a good 9-10 months before swapping it out for the GS3. I certainly wouldn't take it over an iPhone 5 or even a 4 at this point though.

My old Gnex had bad reception, dim screen, weak speakers and not as fast as my old GS2...didn't take long to swapped it out for a OneX/GS3. BUT!!, its still the best looking samsung phone by far....

Samsung Galaxy S 4 Incompatible with Original TecTiles, TecTile 2 Announced

When I saw the presence of BCM2079x, I remembered that this reader doesn’t read MIFARE tags, which the NXP solution does, since it is an NXP tag format. Instead Broadcom only reads tags which adhere to the standard NFC Forum tag types. Ordinarily this isn’t much of a problem, as long as users are aware of the limitation and to stay away from MIFARE classic tags on an incompatible reader. What’s interesting here is that Samsung’s TecTiles were themselves originally MIFARE Classic 1k tags, which makes them not compatible with the new SGS4. I then confirmed that the SGS4 does in fact not read my existing TecTiles which I’ve setup around the house.

I reached out to Samsung, who issued a statement about TecTile compatibility on the SGS4 by announcing TecTile 2, which ostensibly carries a different tag inside compatible with the SGS4.

"Samsung is introducing TecTile 2, an update to the original TecTile NFC programmable tags, which will be available in the coming weeks. TecTile 2 will use the current NFC technology on the market, allowing Samsung customers to further incorporate NFC into their daily lives and to use with the latest Samsung Mobile products and services, including the Galaxy S 4. As industry standards continue to evolve, Samsung remains committed to meeting those standards and adapting its technologies if necessary. Samsung customers can also fully utilize TecTiles 2 with existing Samsung Mobile NFC-enabled Android smartphones currently in market."

dat accessory money

DXPett1

The future is now: you can now root your glasses: http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/google-glass-rooted/

glassbroke-saurik.jpg

adb oem unlock /= rooting. Rooting would mean there is some kind of security that you need to circumnavigate.

4.3 Shouldn't be surprising if we consider past history. Google did state they wanted to move away from 6 month updates. They did state their intentions to move more features from the OS and into the Play Store. Things like Babel fit this perfectly as does Google Games. As others have stated Jelly Bean is pretty polished, only bug fixes and further polish will be added.

lol OEMs only just updating to JB now

Weren't the original TecTiles not true NFC spec?

adb oem unlock /= rooting. Rooting would mean there is some kind of security that you need to circumnavigate.

4.3 Shouldn't be surprising if we consider past history. Google did state they wanted to move away from 6 month updates. They did state their intentions to move more features from the OS and into the Play Store. Things like Babel fit this perfectly as does Google Games. As others have stated Jelly Bean is pretty polished, only bug fixes and further polish will be added.

lol OEMs only just updating to JB now

Weren't the original TecTiles not true NFC spec?

yeah, something like that... anyway, the new TecTile 2 ones are supposed to be true spec and work with everything.

kinggroin

Banned
Lol jeez. My old Gnex wasn't a bad phone. Far from it. But the usual plastic Samsung back and absolutely atrocious battery life (even with the extended) killed it for me. Used it for a good 9-10 months before swapping it out for the GS3. I certainly wouldn't take it over an iPhone 5 or even a 4 at this point though.

:)

It certainly speaks to the varying priorities each of us have in a device, that's for sure.

I think the only thing that really bugged me about the phone outside of battery, was the camera in low lighting. Number one thing of importance to me is the actual capability and software interface; I have chargers on hand and use a case anyway ;-)

Its why I'd never choose an iOS based phone regardless of how nice the crafted hardware is. I still have to deal with a functionally shit OS and a comically small display.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm fine with my Galaxy Nexus. Battery is poor but it's removeable and I have spares. Stock Android + ASOP browser is what I want. If Google doesn't fix Chrome asap I might have to stop buying Nexus phones

kinggroin

Banned
I loathe my galaxy nexus. Every day is worse because I have to use it

I feel that way with this forum and these posts

J/K, but what in the world are you guys doing to this thing where its loathed!? Or is it just the battery pissing you off? My wife's is stock and performance is every bit as good as my friggin NOTE 2, even with all her apps and theme shit.

gcubed

J/K, but what in the world are you guys doing to this thing where its loathed!? Or is it just the battery pissing you off? My wife's is stock and performance is every bit as good as my friggin NOTE 2, even with all her apps and theme shit.

Mostly the battery. The screen is rough at times and the camera is embarrassing but overall the battery. I could do a better job being prepared with an external charger but it's just terrible

The phone feels cheap, the clock that shows up while charging the device annoys me every time. It's that's ugly. The battery is a joke, I can easily drain it by steaming some internet radio for 3-4 hours at work. I don't even know anymore if 4.2 caused it or something else, but it definitely feels laggier than it was before. The screen is terrible, the colors are off and it's only 720p on paper.

Read the last 10 posts or so before you try to post news.

Pctx

Banned
The phone feels cheap, the clock that shows up while charging the device annoys me every time. It's that's ugly. The battery is a joke, I can easily drain it by steaming some internet radio for 3-4 hours at work. I don't even know anymore if 4.2 caused it or something else, but it definitely feels laggier than it was before. The screen is terrible, the colors are off and it's only 720p on paper.

Welcome to XDA-GAF.

gcubed

see, i dont have a problem with the snappiness at all. I mean, its slower then a new phone but on the list of things that bother me about the phone, thats way way way at the bottom. Its the battery. I can watch the battery drain

reKon

Banned
The battery and the radio are the phones biggest issues. For, with the right kernel and ROM, the phone is very smooth and the camera had been decent for me. I notice the pentile only when I have my contacts out and that is annoying, but when you're just using the phone regularly, you don't really notice as much. I've also used some of the color setting features roms to adjust things like the gamma.

kinggroin

Banned

Yeah yeah, besides all that, tell me the truth. Awesome phone no?

VoxPop

So I seem to be having issues with Chat Heads. The head pops up but disappears instantly so I can't actually use it.. anyone know how to fix this?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thing about the GNexus is it tried to be the next big thing, but it was early in the curve. It was the 1st big phone with a 720p screen and the Verizon version was one of the 1st big phones with LTE.

They were ahead of the curve on a lot of this, but in a too soon kind of way. Processors and battery life hadn't yet really caught up to the next jump screen resolution wise, LTE was in it's infancy, and companies hadn't yet had to tackle all of this so they didn't know how to handle the battery.

Contrast this with the Nexus 4 which basically just tried to be a nice refined version of what was already currently available which is the much better device upon release.

I hope every company pulls a htc for later this year and 2014 where 32 is the minimum base storage. Unless it's a low priced phone like nexus 4 in which case 16/32 rather than 8/16.

indeed. hell, start this fall.
WERD:

I hope every company pulls a htc for later this year and 2014 where 32 is the minimum base storage. Unless it's a low priced phone like nexus 4 in which case 16/32 rather than 8/16.

I don't expect samsung to do it for a long time because they are a cheap ass company but motorola/google/apple/whoever else best do it. THEN samsung will conform eventually.

gcubed

Thing about the GNexus is it tried to be the next big thing, but it was early in the curve. It was the 1st big phone with a 720p screen and the Verizon version was one of the 1st big phones with LTE.

They were ahead of the curve on a lot of this, but in a too soon kind of way. Processors and battery life hadn't yet really caught up to the next jump screen resolution wise, LTE was in it's infancy, and companies hadn't yet had to tackle all of this so they didn't know how to handle the battery.

Contrast this with the Nexus 4 which basically just tried to be a nice refined version of what was already currently available which is the much better device upon release.

yeah, i'm just holding out until the Nexus 5

daoster

I really hope the nexus 5 goes on Verizon... And that they do the same pricing structure as nexus 4... Of course with how shoddy Galaxy nexus was supported for vzw..I doubt we'll see another nexus :(

I really hope the nexus 5 goes on Verizon... And that they do the same pricing structure as nexus 4... Of course with how shoddy Galaxy nexus was supported for vzw..I doubt we'll see another nexus :(
hahaha I don't even think the x phone will work on verizon, definitely don't think the nex5 would.

gcubed

I am over CDMA phones, and i'm over verizon. Can't wait to drop that contract. How reliable have peoples GVoice been? I rarely use it for an actual phone number, just texts and voicemail, but i'll port my number to it when i get a new phone. Can you have 2 GV numbers? One you ported and your original GV number?

kinggroin

Banned
I am over CDMA phones, and i'm over verizon. Can't wait to drop that contract. How reliable have peoples GVoice been? I rarely use it for an actual phone number, just texts and voicemail, but i'll port my number to it when i get a new phone. Can you have 2 GV numbers? One you ported and your original GV number?

Jumping on the contract-less T-Mobile plan? Its what I did coming from Verizon. No regrets.

No clue about Google voice, though, I am able to use it AND the built in WiFi calling T-Mobile provides.

3phemeral

You can have as many GVoice numbers as you have gmail accounts. And it has been 90 percent reliable for me. Sometimes I'll disconnect or there will be a laggy connection, but for those I usually just call them back and it reconnect just fine. When I first used GVoice about 2 years ago, I would get a lot of delays been me and the caller, but that would be when I would use it over a 3G connection. At present, it seems pretty perfect, especially when using a fast wifi connection because I rarely ever have issues.

gcubed

Jumping on the contract-less T-Mobile plan? Its what I did coming from Verizon. No regrets.

No clue about Google voice, though, I am able to use it AND the built in WiFi calling T-Mobile provides.

Yup. Going to give the 100 minute plan a try, see if I can keep the minutes under.

I've used groove IP here and there and haven't had many issues with it, but I'd have to rely on it if I went that way

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

I never thought I'd see the day again

welcome back to the GSM fold gcubed

gcubed

I never thought I'd see the day again

welcome back to the GSM fold gcubed

Going to be a while still. I live and spend most of my time near cities, so less worried about coverage. I'm also operating under the assumption that the next nexus will have LTE. It must have lte

jey_16

Banned
Any way to get rid of dust under the screen or should I ask for a replacement phone? It's so tiny but you can't help but see it, especially on a white screen

jayb

Yup. Going to give the 100 minute plan a try, see if I can keep the minutes under.

I've used groove IP here and there and haven't had many issues with it, but I'd have to rely on it if I went that way

They still have a 100 minute plan? I thought all T-Mobile plans were unlimited now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom