• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Google killed the competition in the 7" tablet market, it's like nobody even wants to try anymore :-(

like i said... 7" is OVA

between Google, Amazon and Apple, why try and compete?

the specs on that Tab 3 smell of "fuck it, just put our name on there and some people will buy it. it has a rear camera, that's something!"

Because offering that really boosts manufacturing costs that a lot and they don't have the option of charging more for high capacity to offset costs. Please.

I don't think 32gb minimum should be a thing at all. Contrary to our hardcore opinions most people use less than 8GB of usable space on a smartphone. Where I would agree is that there should be a 32GB option available at launch for those who do need more, but realistically that will cost more than the smaller sized options.

And rise the manufacturing costs and kill your juicy margins? Please.

i think they'll manage to get by with their $40 flip covers and $60 s-view covers...

I don't think 32gb minimum should be a thing at all. Contrary to our hardcore opinions most people use less than 8GB of usable space on a smartphone. Where I would agree is that there should be a 32GB option available at launch for those who do need more, but realistically that will cost more than the smaller sized options.

the problem:

more lines at launch = more issues

and more options = many carriers go for lowest option

reKon

Banned

Ok, maybe not minimum, but it's something that should be available. This is pretty pathetic compared to Apple, which at least 32 GB ready to go.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just in time for Microsoft to jump in.

KuGsj.gif

I think Google killed the competition in the 7" tablet market, it's like nobody even wants to try anymore :-(

More like the entire Android tablet ecosystem was barely half-alive until the Nexus 7. The other manufacturers reap what they sowed.

So this is an embarrassment...

Uh, what the fuck? Since when does every YouTube link on GAF automatically turn into a VigLink?

February apparently.

Yeah it sucks but we're part of the 1% complainers so whatevs. I've been dealing with it in Google search for a while cause the HTTPS thing, this isn't much different.

I currently have a Surface RT tablet and am looking into getting a Nexus 10. I have a few questions, as I've only ever had one Android phone (Nexus S) and never had an Android tablet:

- Does the Nexus 10 run flash? Is it a browser specific kind of thing? There are a few flash sites I use quite a bit.

- Is there a way to use 2 apps at once? Say watch a YouTube video and web browse at the same time?

Any help is appreciated.

More like the entire Android tablet ecosystem was barely half-alive until the Nexus 7. The other manufacturers reap what they sowed.

More like Google kept fucking up with Android for tablets until 4.1, neither Honeycomb or ICS were decent enough for tablets, it was only until we got to 4.1 that Android became usable on tablets.

Either way there is still room in the 7" market for premium tablets, there are always plenty of people willing to pay slightly more for a slightly better product.

SimleuqiR

There's not really a point to it on iOS since it can't effectively run in the background and learn over time, other than based off searches, etc.

Well, Google Now should know your flight info if you get your itinerary via a Gmail account. Same goes for tracking packages, again if you get the email with tracking through your Gmail account. Same goes for appointments (Google Calendar). Not everything within Now is based on Searches.

So Google could "push" that info on to Google Now for iOS.

Granted, iOS is crippled by Apple in many ways.

All things considered, I'm talking out my ass, cause I have not used Google Now on iOS. Going to have to ask my sister to let me try it out on her phone.

Groof

The whole idea of Google Now is amazing, and if it doesn't get to work as it should, why even bother?
Which is what makes me so sad that outside of the US it works like ass.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So i finally tried this bluestacks thing for windows to emulate android apps.

It's pretty meh. I think it's emulating gingerbread so it's laggy despite being run on a high end gaming PC.

Are there any better android emulation options?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not saying this is true but if it is w00t!

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/04/29/samsung-to-bring-the-tab-duos-tab-8-0-amoled-tab-11-super-pls-tft-and-nexus-11/

This weekend SamMobile received Samsung’s tablet plans for 2013. Samsung wants to bring more tablets for every segment. Samsung want to bring a dual-sim tablet and that maybe sound strange but not unreal. Lenovo has made such a tablet before. Inside the list below you wont find the Galaxy Tab 3. Cause this list is only for this years special tablets from Samsung. As you will notice Google And Samsung are busy with the NEXUS 11 and this has to be the first octa-core tablet from Samsung and Google. Samsung is also busy to create an own high-end 11” tablet plus a follow-up on their AMOLED line-up. Samsung delayed or might even cancel the next generation of Galaxy Note 10.1 cause of the weak sales of this tablet. The specifications of the Galaxy Tab 3 are around the same level as the Galaxy Tab DUOS.

NEXUS 11*
- 11” Super PLS TFT
- 8 Megapixel
- 2 Megapixel
- Octa-Core A15 / A7 (Exynos 5410)
- Micro SD 64 GB (Rumoured)
* Needs to get approvement from Google (Worlds first Octa-Core tablet)

SimleuqiR

I'm not saying this is true but if it is w00t!

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/04/29/...-and-nexus-11/

NEXUS 11*
- 11” Super PLS TFT
- 8 Megapixel
- 2 Megapixel
- Octa-Core A15 / A7 (Exynos 5410)
- Micro SD 64 GB (Rumoured)
* Needs to get approvement from Google (Worlds first Octa-Core tablet)

Been awaiting for the Nexus Tablets refresh. My Transformer TF101 is slow, slower than my Galaxy Nexus. I need a nice speedy tablet.

There's like 10 funny things about it. X phone AKA nexus 5? Interesting assumption there.

2k video recording? 5mp front camera?

Colored ring flash lolwut

transparent objects in interface!

I love how the specs are absolutely bonkers yet he felt the need to keep the RAM a conservative 2gb.

I love how you can ruin the look of pretty much every good looking Android device with the default icons.

?

Anyway I didn't think I'd ever say it, but that thing has way too little bezel. I like to be able to grip my phone without constantly being afraid that I'm touching the screen. I know mock ups don't have to be practical, but still.

I imagine the x phone to be similar in size to the xperia ZL. Actually smaller because it's 5 inches whereas x phone will probably be 4.5-4.7 max, I just mean similar in bezel. Which at 4.5 inches would actually be a pretty small phone. Hopefully they can do that, throw in one of motorola's good 3000+mah batteries, a good camera, and LTE. And I'm DOWN day one.

So... Android 5.0 still running 4.2.2 clock huh?
until you drop some legit info, that picture is fact :p

Pctx

Banned
I imagine the x phone to be similar in size to the xperia ZL. Actually smaller because it's 5 inches whereas x phone will probably be 4.5-4.7 max, I just mean similar in bezel.

until you drop some legit info, that picture is fact :p

I used TinEye on that sumbitch... but you're not hotlinking. Who has the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom