• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet S3 owners in the US won't see that until the S5 comes out.

i bet you haven't been paying attention to the past year of Samsung firmware rollouts.

even their mid-range prepaids in the USA are running 4.1.2

i'm sure that even the Verizon S3 will have 4.2.2 by the time the Note 3 is released.

zedge

So I've pretty much been all iOS all the time. I got the iPhone a week after launch. iPad the weekend it hit and have been using iOS a lot. Well now my iPhone is busted and I'm tired of this small screen for my phone. I've got a Galaxy S3 coming in the mail tomorrow. Any pro tips?

First tip, don't listen to all these people telling you to root, flash, get an N4 etc.

In my opinion Touchwiz will make the transition to android easier than stock. Stock is so freaking overrated its nauseating. Not to mention the S3 is a better phone than the N4 overall.

Get the hang of the phone and Android first, then if you want to dive into rooting and flashing roms go for it. Just play around with the phone, customize it how you want, check out some android sites for news etc. Android central, or Android Police are great for keeping up on news.

My two cents.

First tip, don't listen to all these people telling you to root, flash, get an N4 etc.

In my opinion Touchwiz will make the transition to android easier than stock. Stock is so freaking overrated its nauseating. Not to mention the S3 is a better phone than the N4 overall.

Get the hang of the phone and Android first, then if you want to dive into rooting and flashing roms go for it. Just play around with the phone, customize it how you want, check out some android sites for news etc. Android central, or Android Police are great for keeping up on news.

My two cents.

Stock is overrated????? Mwa ha ha ha. The S3 isn't better than an N4 and it costs a lot more (with the caveat of LTE). The S4 is more powerful certainly. Different strokes...

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

My two cents.

Lol touchwiz and AMOLED lololol

zedge

Stock is overrated????? Mwa ha ha ha. The S3 isn't better than an N4 and it costs a lot more (with the caveat of LTE). The S4 is more powerful certainly. Different strokes...

Yes it is overrated, and I am not the only one to say this.

If he is getting the phone on a contract then it is cheaper, likely even fee now. And what does stock Android 4.1 have over Android 4.1 with touchwiz? Nothing. Same features are present, plus many other features Samsung has added to touchwiz. Looks are completely a personal preference and irrelevant imo

The camera on the n4 is pretty shit compared to the S3 also. Also the LCD on the N4 is not that great, has really washed out look, was disappointed in that.

Lol touchwiz and AMOLED lololol

:shrug

Judging by the sales of the Galaxy phones it seems people like them just fine.

jayb

If he is getting the phone on a contract then it is cheaper, likely even fee now. And what does stock Android 4.1 have over Android 4.1 with touchwiz? Nothing. Same features are present, plus many other features Samsung has added to touchwiz. Looks are completely a personal preference and irrelevant imo

The camera on the n4 is pretty shit compared to the S3 also. Also the LCD on the N4 is not that great, has really washed out look, was disappointed in that.

The general population doesn't seem to care or keep up with OS updates, nor even notice the tendency of Touchwiz to be more sluggish than stock Android. Heck, I knew a ton of people that used to be several versions behind on their iPhone before Apple implemented OTA updates.

For those of who really care about getting the smoothest and least bloated experience, and the quickest OS updates prefer stock Nexus phones.

To each their own.

Because sales equates quality. Which means that the Spice Girls are better than pretty much every band that ever existed...

Face palm.

The camera on the N4 is a lot better than you give it credit for. I checked out some shots I'd taken with it in Barcelona and was honestly surprised how good they looked on the big screen. It's a notch or two under the S3 perhaps, but not terrible by any stretch.

As for looks being irrelevant, is that what you told your s.o when you were wooing her?

And it's 4.2 on the Nexus 4, not 4.1. And it's likely to be 4.3 very shortly.

zedge

The general population doesn't seem to care or keep up with OS updates, nor even notice the tendency of Touchwiz to be more sluggish that stock Android. Heck, I new a ton of people that used to be several versions behind on their iPhone before Apple implemented OTA updates.

For those of who really care about getting the smoothest and least bloated experience, and the quickest OS updates prefer stock Nexus phones.

To each their own.

Exactly, and now that google is updating core apps outside of OS updates the version of android is going to matter less and less.

Toki767

The general population doesn't seem to care or keep up with OS updates, nor even notice the tendency of Touchwiz to be more sluggish than stock Android. Heck, I new a ton of people that used to be several versions behind on their iPhone before Apple implemented OTA updates.

To each their own.

I'd even say the general population doesn't even update their apps let alone their OS.

zedge

Because sales equates quality. Which means that the Spice Girls are better than pretty much every band that ever existed...

Face palm.

The camera on the N4 is a lot better than you give it credit for. I checked out some shots I'd taken with it in Barcelona and was honestly surprised how good they looked on the big screen. It's a notch or two under the S3 perhaps, but not terrible by any stretch.

As for looks being irrelevant, is that what you told your s.o when you were wooing her?

And it's 4.2 on the Nexus 4, not 4.1. And it's likely to be 4.3 very shortly.

I love when people pull the 'mcdonalds' card. Too funny.

Wooing her? What do you even mean? Did I upset your fanboy sensibilities or something?

And I know the N4 is on 4.2, my point was what features does the S3 with 4.1 lack that a stock phone with 4.1 has? Same for and S4 with 4.2 compared to an N4 with 4.2. The features are the same, touchwiz or otherwise.

jayb

I'd even say the general population doesn't even update their apps let alone their OS.

Very true as well.

On another note, I just tried checking to see if the G+ update was out yet, and the app is nowhere to be found on my phone's app store. And the web store says my phone is incompatible with G+ now. Weird.

I love when people pull the 'mcdonalds' card. Too funny.

Wooing her? What do you even mean? Did I upset your fanboy sensibilities or something?

And I know the N4 is on 4.2, my point was what features does the S3 with 4.1 lack that a stock phone with 4.1 has? Same for and S4 with 4.2 compared to an N4 with 4.2. The features are the same, touchwiz or otherwise.

You love it because it's accurate and instead of acknowledging that my point is fair and accurate you say it's "too funny" because you don't have a legitimate counter argument? George W Bush won the popular vote, as did Hitler. Sales and popularity don't equate to substance. Now I'm not saying the S3 is a bad phone. Or that he shouldn't get it. It's you who came into the thread and said that stock Android is over rated and that you shouldn't listen to people who say try out the N4. It's you dismissing others opinions, because your opinion matters more?

As for fanboy, hilarious. When you can't discuss things in a civil fashion, let's resort to name calling. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be a fanboy of. My last phone was a Samsung..

As for 4.2 I was merely correcting your error, not trying to ascertain that one had better features than the other.

I'm really not sure what your angle is here. I didn't say that the S3 was a bad phone, or that he should get an N4. I just took issue with the "stock android is overrated" or that an N4 shouldn't be considered as an option. And your assertation that looks aren't important (the entirety of human history argues otherwise).

stock Google is garbage. i assume people who get a Nexus at least put CM on it. or maybe something more exotic like Paranoid or AOKP or MIUI... but straight stock is trash and open source is the best thing about Android.

zedge

You love it because it's accurate and instead of acknowledging that my point is fair and accurate you say it's "too funny" because you don't have a legitimate counter argument? George W Bush won the popular vote, as did Hitler. Sales and popularity don't equate to substance. Now I'm not saying the S3 is a bad phone. Or that he shouldn't get it. It's you who came into the thread and said that stock Android is over rated and that you shouldn't listen to people who say try out the N4. It's you dismissing others opinions, because your opinion matters more?

As for fanboy, hilarious. When you can't discuss things in a civil fashion, let's resort to name calling. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be a fanboy of. My last phone was a Samsung..

As for 4.2 I was merely correcting your error, not trying to ascertain that one had better features than the other.

I'm really not sure what your angle is here. I didn't say that the S3 was a bad phone, or that he should get an N4. I just took issue with the "stock android is overrated" or that an N4 shouldn't be considered as an option. And your assertation that looks aren't important (the entirety of human history argues otherwise).

There was no 'error'. I did not say the N4 was currently on 4.1. That was not my point.

So because something is popular its automatically crap? And holy shit at the Bush and Hitler stuff.. come the fuck on dude.. holy going off on a wild tangent.. Jesus. Get a grip.

It seemed like you were getting upset that someone was saying Stock was overrated, that came off a bit fanboyish to me. No need to be so sensitive.

My angle is as this person already ordered the phone and its their fist android phone, maybe something other than, return it, or flash CM10 would be more helpful. You guys are like 0 to 100, not the best advice for someone new to the platform. Perhaps they should get a handle on the phone as it is before they go down that path, if they even feel the need to do so which the majority do not.

Oh cool. We calling people "fanboys" for not liking Touchwiz now? What?

Uh that's not what I was referring to.

jayb

i just updated G+ and now Hangouts is there, but messenger is still there. So G+ now has two built in IM apps! :lol

So the new Google+ app has menu items for Hangouts AND Messenger, and adds a Location sharing service to compete with Maps' Latitudes. Also, it does not match the visual style I thought all Gapps would be adopting, set by Music...

Google gonna Google, I guess.

Fatalah

Now that a competing Latitude service exists within Google+, I'm hoping the big Google Maps app update comes soon. Why wait until June Google?!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

tumblr_inline_mibewyJ6eE1qz4rgp.gif

There was no 'error'. I did not say the N4 was currently on 4.1. That was not my point.

So because something is popular its automatically crap? And holy shit at the Bush and Hitler stuff.. come the fuck on dude.. holy going off on a wild tangent.. Jesus. Get a grip.

It seemed like you were getting upset that someone was saying Stock was overrated, that came off a bit fanboyish to me. No need to be so sensitive.

My angle is as this person already ordered the phone and its their fist android phone, maybe something other than, return it, or flash CM10 would be more helpful. You guys are like 0 to 100, not the best advice for someone new to the platform. Perhaps they should get a handle on the phone as it is before they go down that path, if they even feel the need to do so which the majority do not.

Uh that's not what I was referring to.

No, because something is popular it is not automatically crap. Nor is it automatically great. This is not a black/white discussion. I was merely dissecting your argument that because something sells lots it must inherently be better than something that sells less. That's what your argument implied. I'm not sure what it is that I should be getting a grip of. Contrary to your opinion, I'm not particularly emotional about this, I'm just arguing that your opinions are based on shaky premises.

I'm not upset by your opinion that "stock is over rated" I actually found it funny. Hence the mwa ha ha. Funny in the sense that I thought you were wrong. And as for accusing me of being emotional, it's your use of emotive language which suggests the opposite is true. Then you accuse me of being sensitive, because I disagree with you strongly? This is a forum for debate and i chose to do so. I never insulted you doing so. If you felt that insult was intended, I apologize for any offence caused. I suppose the part that may have been misinterpreted was the s.o comment. That was merely to illustrate that looks are incredibly important to all of us, something which I believe you all too readily dismissed.

As for the 0-100 comment, I disagree. There are people in this thread who like touchwiz, like Sense, like stock. There are people who root and there are people who don't. This thread is not the rabid stock android or root fest that you might think it is. I am not rooted, I run stock because I value stability over debatable extra functionality. I bought a Nexus because long term I will save cash and I get the benefit of immediate upgrades. And I think the majority of people here are capable of giving sound advice and understand that root or even stock may not be the right choice for an individual based on use case. But whereas you wanted to dismiss the N4 completely and stock based on your own prejudices I did not do the same for the S3. That's the difference. If LTE or storage are important to him, he should get and S3. If not, the Nexus is a better choice. Better screen, guaranteed updates, better processor and IMO a much more cohesive and modern UI.

Anyway, we're clearly not going to agree so let's just call this one as agree to disagree and move on from there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I remember when Sense made stock look like Garbage.

Those were simpler times. We had a HTC Hero to depend on.

I remember those times well. But those times ended with 2.0. Skin bloatware has been a cancer on Android since 4.0.

I remember this too. Stock 1.5 and 1.6 were particularly bad. Things got a little better with 2.0 and upwards, but it really wasn't until ICS that stock was actually visually superior to OEM skins.

Zeppu

HTC Sense made Android usable pre 2.1. WTF were they thinking with that white notification bar and those cartoony status icons. Geez.

Hero was an awesome phone.

The only bad part about Touchwiz is that visually it's still stuck in GB era, with those green, horrible looking icons. If they just clean those up I'd bet it wouldn't get as much hate.

jayb

i wish stock android would stop trying to color all of the base notification icons. first all green and now blue. just make them a neutral white/gray color and be done with it. If you have to, color the battery, but leave the rest a neutral color.

zedge

Anyway, we're clearly not going to agree so let's just call this one as agree to disagree and move on from there.

Indeed. Perhaps I miss interpreted you. But when someone laughs at your opinion rather then just saying they disagree its easy to do. ;)

I did not mean to write the N4 off completely either. But the person already went with the S3, so I didn't think it was relevant.

Anyway. No harm no foul. I fully retract my fan boy remark. It was used in jest.

Indeed. Perhaps I miss interpreted you. But when someone laughs at your opinion rather then just saying they disagree its easy to do. ;)

I did not mean to write the N4 off completely either. But the person already went with the S3, so I didn't think it was relevant.

Anyway. No harm no foul. I fully retract my fan boy remark. It was used in jest.

And all was at peace in the land of Android GAF once more. Little did the denizens know that an unknown soldier post lay just around the corner..

thespot84

So i'm usually an evangalist for google stuff, and have been touting hangouts to friends so they'd start using it, but I've noticed two issues, one is pretty serious:

1. not serious: no more away/status message. Wtf. I'm not going to start posting shit on google+, why get rid of it?

2. Serious: NO SEARCH. History is persistant. great. It's shared across devices. Great. but if i can't search for it it's fucking useless in a hangout more than a day old. Chat history is no longer saved in gmail, so I can't figure out a way to do it. am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom