• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

Felt the need to repost for new page:

So i'm usually an evangalist for google stuff, and have been touting hangouts to friends so they'd start using it, but I've noticed two issues, one is pretty serious:

1. not serious: no more away/status message. Wtf. I'm not going to start posting shit on google+, why get rid of it?

2. Serious: NO SEARCH. History is persistant. great. It's shared across devices. Great. but if i can't search for it it's fucking useless in a hangout more than a day old. Chat history is no longer saved in gmail, so I can't figure out a way to do it. am I missing something?

Fatalah

Felt the need to repost for new page:

So i'm usually an evangalist for google stuff, and have been touting hangouts to friends so they'd start using it, but I've noticed two issues, one is pretty serious:

1. not serious: no more away/status message. Wtf. I'm not going to start posting shit on google+, why get rid of it?

2. Serious: NO SEARCH. History is persistant. great. It's shared across devices. Great. but if i can't search for it it's fucking useless in a hangout more than a day old. Chat history is no longer saved in gmail, so I can't figure out a way to do it. am I missing something?

Didn't Googs buy Meebo? Don't these guys know how to make an IM service? Gee golly gosh.

thespot84

Didn't Googs buy Meebo? Don't these guys know how to make an IM service? Gee golly gosh.

OK I take back number 2. History stil shows up in gmail, just not under "chat with...". If you search the person's name the new hangout history should show up. So that's solved. Crisis averted.

I'm still semi-angry about the away message thing though

gkryhewy

Question:
I have a Galaxy Note 2 running 4.1.2. I use the built-in exchange client for work, both email and calendar. I often move between wifi signals and 4G, and I find that if the exchange inbox happens to be syncing during one of these transitions (which somehow happens more often than you'd think), the sync hangs indefinitely and never happens- I have to restart the phone to get a proper inbox sync. I can sync sent mail, calendar, etc., but the inbox never completes its sync. Any thoughts or suggestions? Having to periodically restart because of this is really annoying.

Question:
I have a Galaxy Note 2 running 4.1.2. I use the built-in exchange client for work, both email and calendar. I often move between wifi signals and 4G, and I find that if the exchange inbox happens to be syncing during one of these transitions (which somehow happens more often than you'd think), the sync hangs indefinitely and never happens- I have to restart the phone to get a proper inbox sync. I can sync sent mail, calendar, etc., but the inbox never completes its sync. Any thoughts or suggestions? Having to periodically restart because of this is really annoying.

Get Nitrodesk's Touchdown, and never have to deal with that again. Great app.

You love it because it's accurate and instead of acknowledging that my point is fair and accurate you say it's "too funny" because you don't have a legitimate counter argument? George W Bush won the popular vote, as did Hitler. Sales and popularity don't equate to substance. Now I'm not saying the S3 is a bad phone. Or that he shouldn't get it. It's you who came into the thread and said that stock Android is over rated and that you shouldn't listen to people who say try out the N4. It's you dismissing others opinions, because your opinion matters more?

As for fanboy, hilarious. When you can't discuss things in a civil fashion, let's resort to name calling. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be a fanboy of. My last phone was a Samsung..

As for 4.2 I was merely correcting your error, not trying to ascertain that one had better features than the other.

I'm really not sure what your angle is here. I didn't say that the S3 was a bad phone, or that he should get an N4. I just took issue with the "stock android is overrated" or that an N4 shouldn't be considered as an option. And your assertation that looks aren't important (the entirety of human history argues otherwise).

We haven't had someone Godwin the Android thread in awhile now. Nice shootin' there, Tex.

And all was at peace in the land of Android GAF once more. Little did the denizens know that an unknown soldier post lay just around the corner..

So you're actually a galactic scale idiot after all? Nice job of first Godwinning and then trying to redirect after the fact. I didn't even need to say anything here, your quality posts on this page stand on their own.

buhdeh

So between the new flickr and Google+ photos relaunch, which one do you guys prefer using? Does the flickr app have auto-upload?

tino

Banned
So between the new flickr and Google+ photos relaunch, which one do you guys prefer using? Does the flickr app have auto-upload?

I don't see any reason to upload to G+. If I upload my stuff to G+, nobody would see it. I rather to email upload to dump them to Facebook.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I have to give it up to Samsung

After that piece of shit called the iPhone killer Instinct I was done.

The Galaxy series has changed my perspective. The S3 is getting 4.2 with a lot of features found on the S4 like the new lock screen and quick toggles. Plus the S3 can run apps designed for the S4. I installed a bunch of S4 apps from a system dump and they work fine.

I'm never going back to HTC. Once the HTC phone you have isn't their hottest product, they give no fucks about you or any updates.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't see any reason to upload to G+. If I upload my stuff to G+, nobody would see it. I rather to email upload to dump them to Facebook.

Instant upload means you never have to press an upload button and wait for everything to finish. You can just link the album on FB, it's what I do.

Aside from that you can include email addresses in G+ circles, so you can batch email entire albums to a bunch of email addresses if you want.

markot

Banned
I have to give it up to Samsung

After that piece of shit called the iPhone killer Instinct I was done.

The Galaxy series has changed my perspective. The S3 is getting 4.2 with a lot of features found on the S4 like the new lock screen and quick toggles. Plus the S3 can run apps designed for the S4. I installed a bunch of S4 apps from a system dump and they work fine.

I'm never going back to HTC. Once the HTC phone you have isn't their hottest product, they give no fucks about you or any updates.
I think HTC is one of the better device supports it there. Also, you are judging Samsung of their flagships.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I think HTC is one of the better device supports it there. Also, you are judging Samsung of their flagships.

I had 2 straight HTC phones before the S3. We waited 8 months for an update to ICS then the update screwed up the internal storage space.

never again!

jayb

I had 2 straight HTC phones before the S3. We waited 8 months for an update to ICS then the update screwed up the internal storage space.

never again!

If you really want to guarantee timely updates, Nexus or the S4 with stock Android are the only sure things.

So Opera Mobile updated to the WebKit version. I posted about it in another thread, but in short, it'll take a lot of getting used to for me.

lAXfZb0.png
dx6YOpL.png

I really dislike that all the WebKit browsers on mobile do the weird text resizing in the first pic, and I have zero idea why. However, while I find the new tab switcher is worse than old Opera, it's better than Chrome IMO.

Another thing I dislike is selecting, copying, and pasting text. To be fair, the browser is pretty new, so I hope they iron out thos kinks later on.

The change log didn't say it was WebKit now (I wouldn't have updated otherwise) but it isn't as bad as the beta, which was largely a Chrome copy.

If you really want to guarantee timely updates, Nexus or the S4 with stock Android are the only sure things.

I've cooled on the whole updates straight from Google thing after owning my Gnex. The Nexus devices are basically used by Google to beta test the next version of Android. They always send out the new versions buggy and then patch them. It was like that for GB, ICS, and JB. I can live without being on the bleeding edge of Android versions these days.

Blackhead

Redarse
So Opera Mobile updated to the WebKit version. I posted about it in another thread, but in short, it'll take a lot of getting used to for me.

I really dislike that all the WebKit browsers on mobile do the weird text resizing in the first pic, and I have zero idea why.
Windows Phone does it and isn't using webkit. Safari doesn't! Microsoft and Opera must think it's a feature not a bug.
I've cooled on the whole updates straight from Google thing after owning my Gnex. The Nexus devices are basically used by Google to beta test the next version of Android. They always send out the new versions buggy and then patch them. It was like that for GB, ICS, and JB. I can live without being on the bleeding edge of Android versions these days.

Stop with the hyperbole. By what ever standard you use to claim that Google "always send out new versions buggy" you'd have to say the same thing about Samsung and new Touchwiz versions, Apple and iOS, Microsoft and Windows phone etc. Samsung still hasn't fixed a Touchwiz Talkback but that they introduced last year. Shit happens.

buhdeh

lol, seriously. TouchWiz has FAR worse bugs in it. I remember the crashing clipboard S3 bug where the only option to fix copy/paste on that thing was to either reset to factory default (LOL) or root and clear the clipboard through a file manager (lol).

Windows Phone does it and isn't using webkit. Safari doesn't! Microsoft and Opera must think it's a feature not a bug.

Huh, that's weird. On Android, all WebKit browsers (including stock, Chrome, Dolphin, etc.) do that while others (Firefox, old Opera) don't. No idea why it happens, then...

Edit: Turning text wrap on in Opera fixed it right up.

Blackhead

Redarse
Huh, that's weird. On Android, all WebKit browsers (including stock, Chrome, Dolphin, etc.) do that while others (Firefox, old Opera) don't. No idea why it happens, then...

Edit: Turning text wrap on in Opera fixed it right up.

Stock doesn't. At least not with the settings I have off (no Auto-fit pages nor text reflow)

Stock doesn't. At least not with the settings I have off (no Auto-fit pages nor text reflow)

Oh, you're right, regardless of text wrap settings, too. I don't know why I remembered the stock browser doing that.

I should probably just use that from now on...

Edit: Yeah okay I suck. It doesn't happen in Dolphin, either. I'm just going to step away now... lol

Cipherr

Stop with the hyperbole. By what ever standard you use to claim that Google "always send out new versions buggy" you'd have to say the same thing about Samsung and new Touchwiz versions, Apple and iOS, Microsoft and Windows phone etc. Samsung still hasn't fixed a Touchwiz Talkback but that they introduced last year. Shit happens.

Yeah.. every mobile OS gets bug fixes after major releases these days. Every single one of them.

So you're agreeing with me then, that stock Android is no better than skinned ones or other mobile OSes? Because the Stock Android Defense Force is coming for you.

Groof

You're the one spouting uneducated nonsense out of blind Samsung love. Don't put them on a pedestal.

edit: nice edit.

I had to give it some context. The original post was more fun though.

Also, I have explained many times why I prefer Samsung's approach to mobile devices. Their devices meet my needs in ways other manufacturers' devices can't, or won't. Which is not my problem, but I've always been willing to defend my position with actual examples of my own real-world usage. There's nothing blind about my love. I can't say the same for a lot of the people here.

Nicktendo86

Went to see one of my brothers the other day, he went on a rant about his beloved galaxy s3 and how shitty touchwiz won't let him pinch to zoom on pictures he received from MMS. I get that Samsung like to add functions to android but why TAKE AWAY things as well? Dragging and dropping apps to make folders on the launcher is another prime example.

Went to see one of my brothers the other day, he went on a rant about his beloved galaxy s3 and how shitty touchwiz won't let him pinch to zoom on pictures he received from MMS. I get that Samsung like to add functions to android but why TAKE AWAY things as well? Dragging and dropping apps to make folders on the launcher is another prime example.

You can create a folder pretty easily, just hold down on the home screen and press the create folder option. It's slightly more cumbersome than just plonking one app onto another one, but it's not a huge deal.

Nicktendo86

You can create a folder pretty easily, just hold down on the home screen and press the create folder option. It's slightly more cumbersome than just plonking one app onto another one, but it's not a huge deal.
Yes, but why not have the basic functionality that is baked into the os? It really annoyed me on my galaxy s2 when I updated to ICS and I realised I couldn't drag and drop.

Quasar

So you're agreeing with me then, that stock Android is no better than skinned ones or other mobile OSes? Because the Stock Android Defense Force is coming for you.

Well I don't agree about the first point. Stock isn't bloated with crap. As for it being better or worse than other operating systems...well that's more or less a vote on the platforms themselves. Though I guess I might argue Android is better because it gets much more timely updates, compared to iOS and Windows Phone 8.

Well I don't agree about the first point. Stock isn't bloated with crap.

Everyone here has a different definitions of 'bloat' though.

The hardcore stock purists think that one single thing above pure stock Android is 'bloat'. These are the people who raged about My Verizon Mobile being included on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. By and large, these people cannot be reasoned with.

The people who like custom AOSP-based ROMs like CyanogenMod and such. They accept that additional features on top of stock are actually useful and also are willing to play around with custom ROMs to find the balance of features and streamlining that fits their needs.

The people who like skinned Android. This includes lighter skins like Motorola's "Not Blur" post-ICS and Sony's skins, and then heavier skins like Samsung's TouchWiz and HTC Sense. These people are willing to accept a greater degree of memory and internal flash usage in exchange for more comprehensive feature sets. Some prefer to flash AOSP-type ROMs like CM to replace their default phone Android builds. Others like TouchWiz and Sense just fine and would never give up the additional features they gain for a smaller memory profile at boot-up.

Then there's the awful carrier shitware that's pre-installed on a lot of phones sold in North America. All 4 major US carriers are guilty of loading down their phones with insane levels of useless garbage. This is a level of bloat that we can all agree is completely fucking hideous.

But the three levels above the carrier shitware level are all, depending on the point of view of the owner, possibly not bloat, or possibly bloat. And not one person in the three upper levels would be wrong about what they consider to be 'bloat'. I don't consider TouchWiz to be 'bloated' because Samsung fills it with all kinds of features, some more useful than others. But if you'll never in your life use any of those features, then yeah, I can see how you would consider it to be 'bloat'. But neither you nor I are wrong, we just have different points of view.

I've said all I will say about this.

malyce

Why is this still going on? Here, I'll finish it:

Custom AOSP ROMs(Preferably on Nexus devices)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Touch Wiz>>>>>>>>>Sense>>>>>>Stock>>>>>>>>>*insert all other OEM skins here*

From an aesthetic perspective, Stock>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

If you purchase a Nexus device strictly for the stock android experience, from a functionality stand point, you're missing out. The only thing stock android and nexus devices have over the other OEMs/skins is quicker android updates.

On to more important things like where the fuck is my Maps update Google?

Linius

Custom AOSP ROMs(Preferably on Nexus devices)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Touch Wiz>>>>>>>>>Sense>>>>>>Stock>>>>>>>>>*insert all other OEM skins here*

If you purchase a Nexus device strictly for the stock android experience, from a functionality stand point, you're missing out. The only thing stock android and nexus devices have over the other OEMs/skins is quicker android updates.

I have no problems what so ever with what ever Sony is doing with their phones. A very basic skin at least. I'm glad I like it because I don't really wanna go trough all the trouble of rooting my phone for a different rom. On my HTC Wildfire it was a must so I used to run Cyanogen mod, that worked pretty well.

Everyone here has a different definitions of 'bloat' though.

The hardcore stock purists think that one single thing above pure stock Android is 'bloat'. These are the people who raged about My Verizon Mobile being included on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. By and large, these people cannot be reasoned with.

The people who like custom AOSP-based ROMs like CyanogenMod and such. They accept that additional features on top of stock are actually useful and also are willing to play around with custom ROMs to find the balance of features and streamlining that fits their needs.

The people who like skinned Android. This includes lighter skins like Motorola's "Not Blur" post-ICS and Sony's skins, and then heavier skins like Samsung's TouchWiz and HTC Sense. These people are willing to accept a greater degree of memory and internal flash usage in exchange for more comprehensive feature sets. Some prefer to flash AOSP-type ROMs like CM to replace their default phone Android builds. Others like TouchWiz and Sense just fine and would never give up the additional features they gain for a smaller memory profile at boot-up.

Then there's the awful carrier shitware that's pre-installed on a lot of phones sold in North America. All 4 major US carriers are guilty of loading down their phones with insane levels of useless garbage. This is a level of bloat that we can all agree is completely fucking hideous.

But the three levels above the carrier shitware level are all, depending on the point of view of the owner, possibly not bloat, or possibly bloat. And not one person in the three upper levels would be wrong about what they consider to be 'bloat'. I don't consider TouchWiz to be 'bloated' because Samsung fills it with all kinds of features, some more useful than others. But if you'll never in your life use any of those features, then yeah, I can see how you would consider it to be 'bloat'. But neither you nor I are wrong, we just have different points of view.

I've said all I will say about this.
two things:

1) Motoblur is still a thing, it's referenced all throughout the resource files.

2) Sprint typically has 2-3 apps onto devices. Sprint Visual Voicemail, Sprint Zone, which contains the My Account thing, has the Sprint Zone widget and links to several Sprint and 3rd party apps, and sometimes, Sprint ID, which can be used to download certain themed app packs. I only mention this because Sprint really has tried to put in effort to balance between not loading down devices with apps and also making it easy for newcomers to get the Sprint apps.

Groof

I'd say Sense is on par with TouchWiz these days, especially with Sense 5's improved aesthetics. Functionality wise I can't say much though, but stock is simple enough for me (emphasis here) and it just looks better than all other OEM skins combined.

As for this, didn't they say sometime in summer?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
20 Questions With Your Boy Brett aka The NeoGAF Android Survey!
Brought to You by Brettison

1. What phone do you currently use as your daily driver?

2. What ROM are you currently using on your phone be it stock or custom?

3. What's the total amount of space on your phone and how much are you currently using?

4. Do you own an LTE enabled device?

5. Do you live in an LTE coverage area?

6. Who is your current service provider?

7. Do you own a tablet and if so which one(s)?

8. If you own a tablet do you have a mobile data version and do you play for mobile data on your tablet?

9. Do you use a custom battery on your phone?

10. What is your default web browser?

11. What is your default music player?

12. What is your default e-mail app?

13. What is one app you can't live without?

14. How many minutes do you actually talk on your phone on average in a month?

15. Do you use a case on your phone and/or tablet?

16. Do you use headphones with your phone/tablet? If so what ones?

17. What is your default keyboard?

18. Which app/service do you use most to upload pictures to?

19. If you could change just one thing about your current android devices what would it be?

20. What was your 1st ever Android device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom