• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

I noticed my homescreen refreshes nearly everytime I hit the home button now. On GNex. Like all of the app icons and widgets will disappear briefly and then reappear. ODD.

Groof

Mmm the new Drive app looks delicious. Google Earth also got updated, but I never use that so I can't speak much for it.
Keep 'em coming, Googs!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note that new Opera Beta went stable yesterday. So they finally have a stable version of their revamped Android browser based on Chromium.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A couple of quick notes I've noticed.

1. Most of you people talk like 2 hours or less on your phone each month.

2. Despite the bitching most of you use Chrome over the stock/AOSP browser(s).

3. I'd say like 3/4ths of you aren't even using a full 16 gigs if not more. So needing more than 16 gigs of space stock or an sd card slot doesn't even seem to be an issue.

4. Android-GAF couldn't give a fuck about a mobile data plan for your tablet

5. Almost all of us seem to live in an LTE area even if we don't have an LTE device. LTE basically everywhere around the 1st world now at least?

Is anyone reading these surveys? Can then not be PMed or have their own thread or something?

PS: Who the heck are you? Do we know you around these parts? You seem to be a n00b here. :p

Anyways people have been commenting on them in the thread so that means they've obviously been reading them.

dat no bezel 5 inch screen

i2rTkrL.jpg

SimleuqiR

A couple of quick notes I've noticed.

1. Most of you people talk like 2 hours or less on your phone each month.

My phone is more of a portable computer than a phone

2. Despite the bitching most of you use Chrome over the stock/AOSP browser(s).

Since Chrome was released on Android I've never looked back or used any other browser.

3. I'd say like 3/4ths of you aren't even using a full 16 gigs if not more. So needing more than 16 gigs of space stock or an sd card slot doesn't even seem to be an issue.

Don't think I need more than 16 gigs. But space is nice so yeah...

tumblr_mluaty1LHF1qmaiu3o1_400.gif

4. Android-GAF couldn't give a fuck about a mobile data plan for your tablet

Nope. I find my tablet to be a leisure device so most of the time I'm home on the sofa reading.

5. Almost all of us seem to live in an LTE area even if we don't have an LTE device. LTE basically everywhere around the 1st world now at least?

If there were a Nexus LTE device with T-mobile bands I would be using LTE.

There.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol we can complain about Chrome but still use it. It's still my favorite mobile browser and to me, as a web dev, kicks the everloving crap out of the stock browser. Plus more syncing stuff is nice, and the UI is better. But I can still admit it's kinda janky and stuttery more than it should be.

Nicktendo86

I noticed my homescreen refreshes nearly everytime I hit the home button now. On GNex. Like all of the app icons and widgets will disappear briefly and then reappear. ODD.
Are you using a launcher like nova or apex? They have stay in memory options which help with redraws. As a fellow gnexus owner, I feel your pain.

Blackhead

Redarse
Lol we can complain about Chrome but still use it. It's still my favorite mobile browser and to me, as a web dev, kicks the everloving crap out of the stock browser. Plus more syncing stuff is nice, and the UI is better. But I can still admit it's kinda janky and stuttery more than it should be.
Chrome's UI sucks.

Nicktendo86

For some reason the new chrome update won't hide the tab bar when I scroll, it works fine on my beta app but not on the normal one. Weird...

GatorBait

LOVE all these app updates with the slide-out drawer and card-themed style! I guess the new head of Android is going hard on unifying everything and making it a consistent experience across Android. Interestingly enough, this new department head for Android is also the department head for Chrome and Apps, so I think that bides well for the future of Android.

What apps do you guys still feel desperately need a new version with the new style? At first though, I'm putting Gmail and Gallery at the top of my list.

Groof

LOVE all these app updates with the slide-out drawer and card-themed style! I guess the new head of Android is going hard on unifying everything and making it a consistent experience across Android. Interestingly enough, this new department head for Android is also the department head for Chrome and Apps, so I think that bides well for the future of Android.

What apps do you guys still feel desperately need a new version with the new style? At first though, I'm putting Gmail and Gallery at the top of my list.

Gmail, YouTube, gallery, integrate stock SMS into Hangouts.

So wait, there's no difference between the stable and beta version? Still haven't gotten the update, but what's the use of it if I can just use the beta?

I'm sure the beta has other stuff going on that is liable to be buggy, but it caught up on the full screen, and tabbed shit, and it does say stability and performance improvements or whatever.

Stable version is likely to be more stable, that's basically the major difference as of now. Unless I'm missing something with the beta and it has something major that isn't included yet.

Groof

I'm sure the beta has other stuff going on that is liable to be buggy, but it caught up on the full screen, and tabbed shit, and it does say stability and performance improvements or whatever.

Stable version is likely to be more stable, that's basically the major difference as of now. Unless I'm missing something with the beta and it has something major that isn't included yet.

Just got the update, and I noticed that only the beta has the data savings feature. Probably not the only thing missing from stable.

SimleuqiR

aaaaaannnnnddddddd now the Amazon Appstore is available in 195 countries. for comparison, the Google Play Store is available in 134 (for paid apps) and Apple, Blackberry and Microsoft are all higher than Google but lower than Amazon.

The difference (I think) is that Google is a huge threat to many industries is many countries, and I would presume has a lot more red tape to cut through. Amazon is seen more of just a big online retailer (for now).

I'm actually shocked that All Access released this fast into Music's product life. Still ways to go for an international presence.

Futureman

Are you using a launcher like nova or apex? They have stay in memory options which help with redraws. As a fellow gnexus owner, I feel your pain.

nope. I'm on stock Verizon GNex.

Pretty sure it didn't start to happen until all those app updates after I/O last week. Guess it's just a sign of the phone getting older and more demanding apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom