• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Damn, I really want to try the Minuum keyboard. But I refuse to back projects after the OUYA. Anyone have impressions?

3phemeral

Anyone have any idea why, when I tether from my phone and transfer files via LAN using Homegroup, my connection goes dead after a few minutes? The phone itself is still capable of online access, but suddenly both computers would detect limited connection, so I have to turn tether off and then on again for it to reconnect.

Using a LTE GNex and it occurs on any ROM I've flashed.

hold up a second here... so a few weeks ago i made a joke about Virgin Mobile getting the 'Samsung Galaxy Ring', but apparently it has a quad core CPU...

gotta be an error right? i mean, a ... is this low end nowadays? a low end 3g phone with a quad core cpu?

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-ring-phone/features/

Nokia is using all the dual core leftovers for their Windows Phones and other OEMs have no choice but to use quad cores for their low end devices.

gcubed

hold up a second here... so a few weeks ago i made a joke about Virgin Mobile getting the 'Samsung Galaxy Ring', but apparently it has a quad core CPU...

gotta be an error right? i mean, a ... is this low end nowadays? a low end 3g phone with a quad core cpu?

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-ring-phone/features/

if its not an s800 it should just be put in the shit pile. s800's for every device with straight pricing of below $200

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Well my GS3 died and since I have no insurance I was boned, so I went for it and bought a Note II full price. First time I have done that with a phone.... dunno how to feel about it but screw it.

Groof

Android vs iOS Game Myths

Courtesy Robot Invader (Wind-Up Knight, Rise of the Blobs) co-founder Chris Pruett (ex-Google.)

This was an interesting read. Android deserves more credit than it gets and more people should read that or alternatively watch the GDC talk (I read it). We've sure seen many higher profile games from iOS and bigger companies make their way over on Android and that's great and all, but there's still a lot missing, most notably (for me) being Capcom. While all of the myths they state are big concerns of many developers and hyperboled to shit by people, a bigger issue is the fright of piracy on Android. I don't know much about the piracy scene on Android so I can't speak much about it, but I'm willing to bet the hairs of my anus that most of the big companies are scared to hell about it and then ignores Android altogether.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Listening to the Verge Mobile show, it turns out the Galaxy Ring was announced today lol

edit: the proc is Qualcomm's single-core Snapdragon MSM8655

Developers aren't some secretive beings. They've expressed many times why they treat Androd as second class. It's just not worth the trouble for them. I'm sure some are having a great time, but that doesn't invalidate what others are saying. iOS is just plain easier. More buyers, easier to develop for, and people spend more time using their devices. It aint rocket sizzzience.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Fuck the latest retail of Chrome is garbage. Always freezing. I can still refresh and type an address in but why does it always freeze. Mostly on GAF too.

It's been happening all the time since the last update.

Nicktendo86

Developers aren't some secretive beings. They've expressed many times why they treat Androd as second class. It's just not worth the trouble for them. I'm sure some are having a great time, but that doesn't invalidate what others are saying. iOS is just plain easier. More buyers, easier to develop for, and people spend more time using their devices. It aint rocket sizzzience.

But they have a larger potential user base to download their apps on android and I'm sure if they put some fucking effort into app development people would want to download them.

Groof

With android being in the position it is right now I see no other real reason for developers to neglect it other than iOS being easier to develop for and their fear of piracy.

daoster

Fuck the latest retail of Chrome is garbage. Always freezing. I can still refresh and type an address in but why does it always freeze. Mostly on GAF too.

Yeah...I've given up on Chrome. Going to stick to Firefox.

With android being in the position it is right now I see no other real reason for developers to neglect it other than iOS being easier to develop for and their fear of piracy.

I can't speak for iOS but I develop on Android and I fucking HATE IT. Everything takes far longer to do than it should.

Every time I've had to work on a new bit of software to run on it it's been a bad experience.

Groof

I can't speak for iOS but I develop on Android and I fucking HATE IT. Everything takes far longer to do than it should.

Every time I've had to work on a new bit of software to run on it it's been a bad experience.
Can you tell me how it's a bad experience? I'm interested in the development processes and would love to heat more - good and bad!

iavi

Same thing here. I've thought all this time that it was just my aging Gnex choking, but if it's a widespread issue, I'm switching away from this bullshit.

Can you tell me how it's a bad experience? I'm interested in the development processes and would love to heat more - good and bad!

Not in any great detail to be honest. In the early days it was a buggy mess, so that was where most of the frustration came from. These days my annoyance comes more from dealing with the numerous interface quirks that you're forced to handle and how much time goes into dealing with the limitations of the core libraries.

If I'm honest though, I'd say a lot of it comes down to the fact that no Java IDE comes close to Visual Studio in my experience.

S800 is slow

Today we had a chance to play with Qualcomm's latest MDP devices (tablet and phone) which pack the company's mighty Snapdragon 800 SoC (MSM8974). The tablet is slightly larger than last year's MDP and features a 11.6-inch 1920 x 1080 pixel display, 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM, 32GB of built-in flash storage (with microSD expansion) and a 12 megapixel AF rear camera with flash (2MP in front). All of this is crammed into a light and slim (0.46 inches / 11.7mm) chassis that's powered by a 3400mAh Li-ion battery and includes a bevvy of radios (LTE, WiFi ac, Bluetooth 4 LE, GPS, NFC) and sensors (including pressure and humidity).

We put the Snapdragon 800-equipped MDP through its paces by running our usual suite of benchmarks (plus a few more). The results? Prepare for slow speed.

I don't get it, am I misreading. Those benchmarks look great. And one of the selling points of the s800 has to do with battery life and it still wins out on the rest of the shit.

edit: oh Jayayess changed the words. The actual article says the speed is awesome. Learn to read idiorts.

Cipherr

So the new N7 will be super-super slow.

Those benches...smh

What am I missing here, am I supposed to be disappointed with the results in that article?

Edit:
I don't get it, am I misreading. Those benchmarks look great. And one of the selling points of the s800 has to do with battery life not speed differences that most people won't notice in daily use anyway.

Lol yeah, you posted this while I was typing. Im not seeing whats disappointing there at all. The more I read, the more it appears to shit all over everything out right now.

He changed the words in the article. It doesn't say the word slow at all. It says "ludicrous speed".

As you can tell from the results, the S800 certainly smokes its predecessors along with the Exynos processors.

Smokes the competition and better with battery. Sounds guddd.

reKon

Banned
I don't get what happened before? I just read this and have seen this a beast. Looking for to this in my new Nexus 7
only if it has an HDMI out port

I don't get it, am I misreading. Those benchmarks look great. And one of the selling points of the s800 has to do with battery life and it still wins out on the rest of the shit.

edit: oh Jayayess changed the words. The actual article says the speed is awesome. Learn to read idiorts.

the GFX benches don't look so good... everything else is pretty sick

iOS = consoles (fixed targets)
Android = PCs (millions of different models, all running different software)

It's obvious why developers prefer to consoles to PCs. Why isn't it obvious to anyone watching why developers prefer iOS to Android?

the GFX benches don't look so good... everything else is pretty sick

Those quality Qualcomm GPUs.

It's amazing that after several years of effort from multiple companies, PowerVR SGX 540MP series GPUs still shit all over competitors.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Convince me not to buy a Nook HD+. I'm getting tired of waiting for the N7.2. I kinda just want it for internet browsing and manga reading, but I want a device to last me a while.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Chrome has been real crap lately, huh? Lots of stuttering, freezing, slow downs. Awful.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Convince me not to buy a Nook HD+. I'm getting tired of waiting for the N7.2. I kinda just want it for internet browsing and manga reading, but I want a device to last me a while.
They're about to announce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom