• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogloo

Mid range phones are becoming too good. The supposedly low end phones are catching up really fast too. I think that will be a problem to most manufacturers in the future.

gcubed

Good, let's hope Samsung learn and put more
some
effort into the build of their phones.

I can't believe by the way that no one is making a stink that HTC are delaying the rollout of 4.2.2, it looks to me it is because of the impending new butterfly phone and they want that to have 4.2 exclusive for a bit. How anyone can trust HTC to keep the firmware up to date I have no idea.

this isn't a new thing for htc. Its something you should be aware of when buying an HTC phone

Low end is still pretty low, but the middle is very juicy indeed.

agreed, mid tier affordable off contract phones are becoming long term viable phones

this isn't a new thing for htc. Its something you should be aware of when buying an HTC phone

Sony too IMO. So far only Samsung have really done okay for updates.

agreed, mid tier affordable off contract phones are becoming long term viable phones

Even the low end phones are looking pretty decent.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_m-5497.php

For a £179 phone the spec is pretty decent, dual core Krait, 3G, Exmor RS camera, 245PPI, decent screen (if it's the same as the J, which is very nice).

For a lot of people that phone is good enough.

Angst

Wind-up Knight developer talks about games on Android vs iOS. Really interesting IMO.

http://games.greggman.com/game/android-vs-ios-game-myths/

gdc-2013-chris-02.jpg

gdc-2013-chris-11.jpg

yes it does, honestly I just use the default browser on the One more than chrome, and chrome when I need the tab syncing. Google needs to get their shit together.

Speaking of dolphin, they FINALLY updated the UI for the browser.
Just tried out dolphin again since you mentioned this new UI. It's not bad. GAF doesn't freeze and scrolling is fast. I like how bookmarks are handled a lot better than chrome.

Only issue is how do I get full screen browsing?

Edit: nvm found it.

Eh I dunno. Something doesn't feel right about this browser but I'll give it a chance for a few days.

Ocd post here...

Is there a way to change an app icon permanently without root? Dolphin has an ugly icon. I know I can use apex launcher or one of the play store apps to do so, but will the icon stay changed if I then delete that icon changer app? I don't really want to keep an app for the purpose of changing one icon. :/

twofold

Ocd post here...

Is there a way to change an app icon permanently without root? Dolphin has an ugly icon. I know I can use apex launcher or one of the play store apps to do so, but will the icon stay changed if I then delete that icon changer app? I don't really want to keep an app for the purpose of changing one icon. :/

Hah, I was wondering the same thing. I'm really liking the new Dolphin, but that icon is damn ugly.

50% off on Swiftkey, btw - https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ource=website&utm_medium=blog&utm_campaign=sk

No idea when the sale will end.

Nicktendo86

Ocd post here...

Only way without root is to download a custom launcher like apex or nova and an icon pack. Delete the apps, the icon changes back I'm afraid.

catmincer

Good, let's hope Samsung learn and put more
some
effort into the build of their phones.

I can't believe by the sende way that no one is making a stink that HTC are delaying the rollout of 4.2.2, it looks to me it is because of the impending new butterfly phone and they want that to have 4.2 exclusive for a bit. How anyone can trust HTC to keep the firmware up to date I have no idea.

I don't care to be honest. 4.1 works perfectly on the one. 4.2.2 adds minimal new features and the phone isn't crippled without it. Unlike my old Xperia S which desperately needed 4.1 or my x10 mini pro which had barely any storage for apps and 2.2 would have helped that.

Also not surprised at Samsung cutting orders, Sony and HTC made great devices which in some ways (water resistance) and (build material) are much better.

It feels like Samsung have become complacent with their position but consumers are fickle and will look at newer things.

Only way without root is to download a custom launcher like apex or nova and an icon pack. Delete the apps, the icon changes back I'm afraid.
Bah. Thank you. I'll live with it I guess.

Last dolphin question: youtube links are not opening in the native app and instead opening in a new tab on YouTube.com.

Can't seem to fix this. Anyone know?

Isn't it crazy that the Nexus 7 is still the only Android tablet worth buying since the existence of Android tablets?

They need to update this thing already.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Brot should be super happy today!

Spotify updated and... Dun Dun Dun...

Now you can control playback from the notification area. Skip and be happy. Android version 4.1 and above.

Groof

Just got an update for Chrome beta, they say that they've fixed the issues all of you (and me) have been experiencing.

Oh and...

Android |OT3| UPDATES!!!

Saying fuck off to Sprint and moving to T-Mobile. For an off contract phone that is about $300 what is the better bet with a Nexus 4 compared to a used GS3? I realize neither support their lte network right now, but I plan to keep it as a stop gap for about a year and then resale the phone when either a new Nexus or GS5 comes out. Which would hold the higher resale value?

Husker86

We have to be just a year out from the Galaxy Refrigerator.

My aunt has a new Samsung refrigerator and my cousin says he has to unplug it sometimes because the interface freezes. It probably runs Android.

Saying fuck off to Sprint and moving to T-Mobile. For an off contract phone that is about $300 what is the better bet with a Nexus 4 compared to a used GS3? I realize neither support their lte network right now, but I plan to keep it as a stop gap for about a year and then resale the phone when either a new Nexus or GS5 comes out. Which would hold the higher resale value?

Both of those phones might get you $175-200 in a year, if that. Having used both, I'd personally go with the Nexus 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom