• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Note 2 users, be sure to check out the faux kernel v6. I am getting 6 hours of screen on time with LTE never turned off on a single charge. This phone never stops amazing me.

Talon

Google hasn’t made Android 4.3 public yet, but it’s good to know that OEMs already have access to the source code. Early access will result in quick software updates and less Android fragmentation. Keep in mind, Android 4.3 is still in development phases and does not have all the features which are yet to be implemented.
Mmhmm. Sure

Talon

I'm liking the new magnetic cables which Sony are sticking on their 2H 2013 phones.
Google should make it standard across all phones.
It's absurd that it took this long for this to make it to phones.

Granted, I know Apple patented the shit out of the mechanism for laptops, which is why you don't see it on other laptops.

So 4.3 OTA release on Monday?

I just confirmed with my source that there are 4.3 builds floating around for Xperia Z, ZL and Tablet Z. Samsung apparently have 4.3 ready for GS4 and Google have 4.3 ready to go for N4 and N7, but that's third hand info, only 100% sure for the Sony side. Also added that public release of 4.3 for Sony's flagships this year could be within just 4 weeks of Google's public push making it the fastest AOSP PDK -> public push ever for them and possibly for any OEM, but there is still a lot to do according to the source, they barely have the basics running and they want to integrate a few cool/unique things into 4.3 before releasing it to the public.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Touchwiz might not have the looks but it has the functionality.

Do you use Crunchbang as your main OS?

Whats so great about stock android besides the so called "updates"?

What makes the nexus phone better than the flagship phones besides the price?

Now that the GE S4 & One is available and stock android is finally on a capable hardware, people will realize how gimp stock android really is compare to OEM skin.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/26/4...-one-google-play-edition-stock-android-review

The stock versions of both the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One well outperformed the skinned versions. In the Verge Battery Test (our standard test that cycles through a series of popular websites and high-res images with brightness set to 65 percent) each phone came in at about six hours. In HTC's case, that's a full hour longer than the Sense version managed to pull off. (...)

Groof

I just confirmed with my source that there are 4.3 builds floating around for Xperia Z, ZL and Tablet Z. Samsung apparently have 4.3 ready for GS4 and Google have 4.3 ready to go for N4 and N7, but that's third hand info, only 100% sure for the Sony side. Also added that public release of 4.3 for Sony's flagships this year could be within just 4 weeks of Google's public push making it the fastest AOSP PDK -> public push ever for them and possibly for any OEM, but there is still a lot to do according to the source, they barely have the basics running and they want to integrate a few cool/unique things into 4.3 before releasing it to the public.

Well now! Isn't this interesting. So does that mean Sony's adding extra features to 4.3 or is the leaked build from earlier still not feature complete?

Well now! Isn't this interesting. So does that mean Sony's adding extra features to 4.3 or is the leaked build from earlier still not feature complete?

From what I can tell it will be over and above what 4.3 offers, maybe some features pulled in early they will later contribute to AOSP (like they did with multi-user support) for 5.0, but I will have to clarify. Reading it back it really sounds like 4.3 is a minor bump for the end user but the background stuff has had a massive rewrite which will take a while to get to grips with for a lot of OEMs (cough, HTC, cough), but it will make the update process much faster in the future as well as the whole Android experience less laggy.

Groof

From what I can tell it will be over and above what 4.3 offers, maybe some features pulled in early they will later contribute to AOSP (like they did with multi-user support) for 5.0, but I will have to clarify. Reading it back it really sounds like 4.3 is a minor bump for the end user but the background stuff has had a massive rewrite which will take a while to get to grips with for a lot of OEMs (cough, HTC, cough), but it will make the update process much faster in the future as well as the whole Android experience less laggy.

This all sounds good to me. And if 4.3 can bring my N7 back to its former glory I'll be more than happy, though I doubt that.

Talon

tumblr_lntvorzOyL1qm8vqso1_250.gif

Literally, that video showed absolutely nothing other than "hey, it says 4.3."

gcubed

layering SELinux onto the distro tells me that if there aren't a lot of outward facing changes, there are some pretty big changes under the hood

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
1) SELinux has been folded into the mainline Linux Kernel since v 2.6

2) SELinux is NOT A DISTRO

3) It's mainly all about security policies

4) It's already put in use by companies such as Red Hat

5) SELinux is the defacto standard despite Canonical doing their own thing with AppArmor

6) It's not the NSA's thing anymore even if it started out that way

7) It was originally released under GPL 2

8) While this should streamline security with extremely well defined policies I am scratching my head how this will speed up updates in the future

PS: Most of you already know this, but I figure it would be good info to get out there. Yes I'm generalizing.

gcubed

i dont think it has anything to do with #8... but i would almost agree with you if your assumption was that it would actually slow it down.

I have no idea what its doing besides seeing it in the picture above and i think i remember a story from a few months ago mentioning that google was going to start using it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'd actually agree that it might slow things down. I get the need for it if you want to use Android in an enterprise setting. Supposedly the US Government already has a modded version of Android with SELinux that they use.

I assume this would help say Samsung and their enterprise versions of their handsets.

That being said for your average end user I'm thinking this actually might slow things down. That being said with all of the issues in regards to security flaws in apps maybe this is google's approach to fixing things. I guess time will tell.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So no one really knows what 4.3 is supposed to bring? I mean, I guess bluetooth changes but that's it, huh? Weak.

When are apps going to integrate cloud storage? Games, specifically?

Groof

So no one really knows what 4.3 is supposed to bring? I mean, I guess bluetooth changes but that's it, huh? Weak.

With the build in the wild we'll probably get a full on teardown soon enough.

it was always gonna be mostly back-end stuff aka boring shit. If it were anything notable google would have mentioned it at I/O.

Hopefully 5.0 still comes out sooner rather than later.

gcubed

it was always gonna be mostly back-end stuff aka boring shit. If it were anything notable google would have mentioned it at I/O.

Hopefully 5.0 still comes out sooner rather than later.

i'm having my doubts about 5.0 if they are going to push 4.3 out at the end of July

SimleuqiR

Huh? That has been live since Google Play Services got updated. It's up to the developers to update their apps.

Some games I have already started adding G+ log-ins and leaderboards

Screenshot_2013-06-27-14-31-56.png

gcubed

Makes we more worried we won't get a new Nexus phone this year then :(

yes, me too. Mainly because this large pile of shit phone i have in my hand simply won't last past winter... there have been many times over the last few weeks that i've wanted to repeatedly punch my phone, throw it on the ground, stomp on it, and then piss on its tattered remains.

Groof

There'll definitely be a new Nexus by the end of the year with 5.0. 4.3 is probably just an interim update to keep people satiated until the big reveal.

Zeppu

yes, me too. Mainly because this large pile of shit phone i have in my hand simply won't last past winter... there have been many times over the last few weeks that i've wanted to repeatedly punch my phone, throw it on the ground, stomp on it, and then piss on its tattered remains.

Galaxy Nexus with 4.2.*?

HawkeyeIC

There'll definitely be a new Nexus by the end of the year with 5.0. 4.3 is probably just an interim update to keep people satiated until the big reveal.

Maybe Google assumes most won't get 5.x so wants to have a good version of Jelly Bean out there?

jokkir

Google really needs to add an option to make it so that it shows how much % you have left on your battery than just the icon. One reason I usually switch to Cyanogenmod and not stick to stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom