• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the Google Play One and S4 are missing the point

some shots being fired in this article:

...and I kinda agree

Like I been saying...stock android is overrated and it's always on beta.

Sense 5 looks better than stock and touchwiz has the functionality that runs circle around stock.

The "updates" are not even that fast and doesnt really include anything magnificent ...just to fix bugs that shouldn't had there in the first place..

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Spotify/Rdio etc are available in other countries and on multiple platforms. How's the Google Music iOS app? Oh, right. It's not out yet. "Within weeks" is apparently more than a month.
That's why I said on Android. The country thing sucks. Glad I have a US account.

Even though I switched to Al Access, there are things (well, one thing) that Spotify has over it. It is supported on other home theater devices. The one place that I personally miss it is on the Roku. I have a TV with Roku set up in my basement that I made a workout room and was just getting used to using it for music while I workout. Now I have to go back to my bluetooth headset. It's not a huge inconvenience, but I have a strong doubt that Google will release a Roku app for All Access.

It was also nice having it on my main Samsung Smart TV when I had people over, but there are other routes to go to get the same effect.
Nexus Q. Well, I bet it doesn't work on that thing.

Sense 5 looks better than stock and touchwiz has the functionality that runs circle around stock.

The "updates" are not even that fast and doesnt really include anything magnificent ...just to fix bugs that shouldn't had there in the first place..

Been saying this shit for a long time. Stock is so overrated. I would never get any of the google edition phones. Theyre bastardized versions of the their brethren.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Chrome freezes up on me all the time now. Tried deleting data and reinstalling. So frustrating lol. Going back to stock browser is hard

SimleuqiR

KuGsj.gif
Get the fuck out of here with that Fisher Price coating on the S4. That thing is an eyesore.

In extra features, sure. Not that many of those features are actually needed or aren't gimmicky. I'll give OEMs credit for trying though.

KuGsj.gif
Get the fuck out of here with that Fisher Price coating on the S4. That thing is an eyesore.

In extra features, sure. Not that many of those features are actually needed or aren't gimmicky. I'll give OEMs credit for trying though.

Touchwiz might not have the looks but it has the functionality.

Whats so great about stock android besides the so called "updates"?

What makes the nexus phone better than the flagship phones besides the price?

Now that the GE S4 & One is available and stock android is finally on a capable hardware, people will realize how gimp stock android really is compare to OEM skin.

Groof

Touchwiz might not have the looks but it has the functionality.
Functionality maybe 1% use on a daily basis.
Whats so great about stock android besides the so called "updates"?
Funny, because just a second ago you said, and I quote, "the "stock Google experience" is basically "waiting for updates"."
What makes the nexus phone better than the flagship phones besides the price?
Good build quality, good choice of material and good feel in hand.
Now that the GE S4 & One is available and stock android is finally on a capable hardware, people will realize how gimp stock android really is compare to OEM skin.
Only like 10 people are going to buy the GE phones anyway so that's not going to happen. Either way, they're not even running a proper, vanilla stock experience. They're still tailored to their respective phone.

edit: And I also just realised what Samsung's infatuation with bigger screens is: it's because their UI is so freakishly huge and cartoonish that they need the bigger screen to even fit all that shit properly. Using Jelly Bean on my S2 and half the screen is covered by eeeeeeeeeeeeverything.

Functionality maybe 1% use on a daily basis.

Funny, because just a second ago you said, and I quote, "the "stock Google experienceI is basically "waiting for updates"."

Good build quality, good choice of material and good feel in hand.

Only like 10 people are going to buy the GE phones anyway so that's not going to happen. Either way, they're not even running a proper, vanilla stock experience. They're still tailored to their respective phone.

I wasn't being serious when I was referring so called "update" as great.....I was being sarcastic

The One has good choice of material and the s4 feels awesome in hand. Plus both have superior hardware.

And why do you say that GE phones not running proper vanilla stock expirience?...oh cause it's not going to get "updates" lol ....seriously stock android/nexus fans are obsessed with "updates"...

Groof

I wasn't being serious when I was referring so called "update" as great.....I was being sarcastic

And why do you say that GE phones not running proper vanilla stock expirience?...oh cause it's not going to get "updates" lol ....seriously stock android fans are obsessed with "updates"

No, it's because of how the UI interacts with them. The One has the two button layout which is bad for apps stuck in Gingerbread hell because it adds the fat ass overflow bar/button hybrid monstrosity at the bottom. The S4 has a menu button which is, well, Gingerbread. They both lack proper multi-tasking buttons (which is fucked), and some can argue that them not having a quick way to access Google Now is a negative. Oh and Beats audio.

And yes, them not receiving direct updates from Google is a huge negative because that's pretty much what the number one desired feature from these were.

The One has good choice of material and the s4 feels awesome in hand. Plus both have superior hardware.
The One yes, the S4 not so much. Superior hardware on the inside yes, but somehow the N4 is still snappier. Also many have reported greatly improved battery life on the GE phones.

The Canadian S3 just got the multi-window update (not even 4.1.2!!) after EIGHT months since 4.1 was released for it. I don't even want to know when 4.2 will ever hit that phone let alone whenever 4.3 comes out.

No, it's because of how the UI interacts with them. The One has the two button layout which is bad for apps stuck in Gingerbread hell because it adds the fat ass overflow bar/button hybrid monstrosity at the bottom. The S4 has a menu button which is, well, Gingerbread. They both lack proper multi-tasking buttons (which is fucked), and some can argue that them not having a quick way to access Google Now is a negative. Oh and Beats audio.

And yes, them not receiving direct updates from Google is a huge negative because that's pretty much what the number one desired feature from these were.

The One yes, the S4 not so much. Superior hardware on the inside yes, but somehow the N4 is still snappier. Also many have reported greatly improved battery life on the GE phones.

Um...better than onscreen buttons that takes out screen space...

N4 snappier? ...lol riiiiiiight.....

Hows the LTE on the N4? Is it also snappier than the One & s4?....if not, maybe an "update" can fix it...lol

Vanilla Android is like being one step above iOS/WP8...

you get to watch the real flagship mobile handsets and wonder if your timely updates will get some of those features.

and as soon as you get them, they are no longer bloated, useless or niche.

why? because Google did it the right way... like notification pulldown shortcuts!

Say does anyone have a idea on how to get Puzzle & Dragons working on a Galaxy Note II with Cyanogenmod 10.1? It's not my phone though I have been told it doesn't work and upon googling I found out that it apparently crashes on purpose on rooted devices :/

I wanted to do some tests myself though it seems that the app isn't available in the German Play Store and that it's incompatible with my own Galaxy Tab 2 anyway so I have to rely a bit on others to help me out here =( Since it's a free app anyway is there any workaround I can use to get it on my Galaxy Tab 2?

I wanted to play it with someone and while it works just fine on my iPhone 4 it stopped working on the Note II after Cyanogenmod was installed. Disabling root with Voodoo didn't help and now that I think of it, that Note II ran MIUI v4 before and Puzzle and Dragons worked just fine o.o

Thanks for help in advance!

A Nexus device is future proof thus being superior in terms of core features, it's just that simple.

Samsung is good in this regard too, old phones still get new updates. I'm pretty confident a GS3/Note 1 might get something like KLP.

HTC on the other hand, well hey just buy the latest flagship every year for an updated Sense experience.

A Nexus device is future proof thus being superior in terms of core features, it's just that simple.

Samsung is good in this regard too, old phones still get new updates. I'm pretty confident a GS3/Note 1 might get something like KLP.

HTC on the other hand, well hey just buy the latest flagship every year for an updated Sense experience.

Yeah, love that future proof hardware of Nexus devices lol

A Nexus device is future proof thus being superior in terms of core featuret's just that simple.

HSPA+ is the future! and non expandable 8gig storage is the future! because everything is in the cloud that you can access with the lighting speed of HSPA+...

From a software perspective obviously.

Future proofing hardware is hard. A LTE-a GS4 is coming, so it didn't even took sammy a year to make a new better phone.

No LTE-a? No snapdragon 800? Lol GS4/One is old stuff amirite?

Yea I'm waiting this out, it's too close to new devices to get anything. I'm hoping Nexus 5 will come to Verizon, finally? Surprisingly my Incredible hasn't had an issue charging since I bought a new cable...

zedge

The Canadian S3 just got the multi-window update (not even 4.1.2!!) after EIGHT months since 4.1 was released for it. I don't even want to know when 4.2 will ever hit that phone let alone whenever 4.3 comes out.
Blame the carriers.

Just updated mine couple days ago. Multi window is neat, but I don't see any practical use for it.

zedge

Hi5

Cipherr

Anti stock brigade has their chests all out right now because its been a year since a major Android release that brought new stuff. 4.2.2 didnt add shit and wasnt a major shift at all. Its been so long they all arrogant up in here.

When that 5.0 hits and you dudes are waddling around for 6 months crying about your carriers blocking Hangout SMS/Voice call integration, and how everyone in Nexusland is chilling with good features and visual redesigns while you are stuck bloop blooping around on 4.2 I'm gonna laugh. Enjoy the moment you beasts! Our time is quickly approaching!

Groof

Anti stock brigade has their chests all out right now because its been a year since a major Android release that brought new stuff. 4.2.2 didnt add shit and wasnt a major shift at all. Its been so long they all arrogant up in here.

When that 5.0 hits and you dudes are waddling around for 6 months crying about your carriers blocking Hangout SMS/Voice call integration, and how everyone in Nexusland is chilling with good features and visual redesigns while you are stuck bloop blooping around on 4.2 I'm gonna laugh. Enjoy the moment you beasts! Our time is quickly approaching!

Best post ever.

once again..."updates" its like a triumph card or an escape goat LOL..

its always hoping for the better....

but yeah ..everyone in nexusland can chill with there 5.0 with HSPA+ and buggy software then wait months for 5.1 to fix the bugs.

But anyways...
I just flashed the google GE stock rom on my HTC One just to try it out....underwhelming as i figured, but I'll give it a few hours or days ...

I'm genuinely worried you won't be able to see those amazing new features of 5.0 on that shit screen of yours.

Seriously, I could hug you.

gcubed

once again..."updates" its like a triumph card or an escape goat LOL..

its always hoping for the better....

but yeah ..everyone in nexusland can chill with there 5.0 with HSPA+ and buggy software then wait months for 5.1 to fix the bugs.

true... and then 4 months later after the nexus devices get a fixed 5.1 you get 5.0 skinified with all those bugs, while nexus users are using the bug fixes that you will never see because they came too fast after the last update.

The only people who don't think updates are important are the people who don't get updates. Its ok... we get it

true... and then 4 months later after the nexus devices get a fixed 5.1 you get 5.0 skinified with all those bugs, while nexus users are using the bug fixes that you will never see because they came too fast after the last update.

The only people who don't think updates are important are the people who don't get updates. Its ok... we get it

I'm not saying updates are not important, its just that you guys makes such a big deal out of it. The timely update aren't timely at all too...
The skinfied android brings much more on the table upfront in terms of both hardware and software.

gcubed

[IM1G]http://i.imgur.com/nrVDovX.png[/IMG]

Interesting

interesting as in, interesting to see google fail yet again.

where is my damn chromekey bitches?

I'm not saying updates are not important, its just that you guys makes such a big deal out of it. The timely update aren't timely at all too...
The skinfied android brings much more on the table upfront in terms of both hardware and software.

manu's do bring more up front with hardware... for twice the price or similar price and two years of your life, there are very few pieces of manuf software i have ANY desire for (and its from samsung), and google usually rolls those good ideas in (i'm looking at you s-beam). And don't rate nexus updates due to the gnex, i've had multiple nexus devices, the non-play store galaxy nexus was a terrible, terrible thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom