• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What is that kiraly?

https://twitter.com/htc/statuses/248107584236695554
i3mRoFNo4LDxv.png

kehs

Banned
I'm watching the RAZRi presentation.....that shit looks like it's faster/smoother than the N7/GN. It might be because of the lower res screen, but that thing is flying.

I kinda want this phone just because it has the intel chip instead of arm.

It's about twenty minute if anyone wants to watch it. http://www.livestream.com/motorolam...529a&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

----

As always, when android news slows down android police delivers with a long pedantic post on android niggling. (Most of it legit, although the article is still amusing)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09/18/ux-things-i-hate-about-android/

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Can't say that I've owned a single HTC phone.

Always gone with Moto, Samsung, or LG (pre smartphone days).

I'm interested to see what their lineup is going to be, any feeds of the conference?

kehs

Banned
Can't argue with most of those. I hope they fix them (ESPECIALLY consolidating the messaging apps and the ugly ass play icons) in KLP

The first half of the article about the back button, is due to how activities are implement. Which is why I found it amusing. The developers have pretty good control over how the back button navigates you through your history.

Kiraly

I'm watching the RAZRi presentation.....that shit looks like it's faster/smoother than the N7/GN. It might be because of the lower res screen, but that thing is flying.

It's about twenty minute if anyone wants to watch it. http://www.livestream.com/motorolam...529a&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

It does look good and the US version has been reviewed pretty well.

Just can't get over the fact Europe gets shafted with a new Intel SoC, while the US version has a spanking Krait dual-core.

Oh well, the Intel SoC is actually pretty decent in webbrowsing (?), everything else it lags behind in.

reKon

Banned

----

As always, when android news slows down android police delivers with a long pedantic post on android niggling. (Most of it legit, although the article is still amusing)

The android team has their work cut out for them

Coppy, remember when Anandtech benched the Atom SoC on the Lava Xolo?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/lava-xolo-x900-review-the-first-intel-medfield-phone/4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/lava-xolo-x900-review-the-first-intel-medfield-phone/5

CPU did really well, GPU, not so much...

DDAAAMMMNNN!!!! they went IN on the back button! this article is AMAZING!

Zeppu

Hmm, I must be the only one who knows what the back button will do. Guess it's cause I'm a developer and think in 'stacks'.

Edit: Except in the FB app. That app is a mess.

tino

Banned
Hmm, I must be the only one who knows what the back button will do. Guess it's cause I'm a developer and think in 'stacks'.

Can you explain to me when in a browser (I use ICS Browser+), when I few tabs open, I credit a new tab, and then when I press "back", I go to the desktop. I never understand that logic.

The correct logic to me is either the currect tab is closed and I go back to the previous tab, or the browser give me a end-of-history notification noise.

There are other app that do this but this is an example I can think of.

kehs

Banned
Coppy, remember when Anandtech benched the Atom SoC on the Lava Xolo?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/lava-xolo-x900-review-the-first-intel-medfield-phone/4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/lava-xolo-x900-review-the-first-intel-medfield-phone/5

CPU did really well, GPU, not so much...

DDAAAMMMNNN!!!! they went IN on the back button! this article is AMAZING!

I'm just going by the presentation video, and I've never seen my recent apps pop up that quickly.

Native code dependent apps are going to be a bitch though (Chrome isn't working on atom yet!).

Can you explain to me when in a browser (I use ICS Browser+), when I few tabs open, I credit a new tab, and then when I press "back", I go to the desktop. I never understand that logic.

The correct logic to me is either the currect tab is closed and I go back to the previous tab, or the browser give me a end-of-history notification noise.

Haven't used ICSB+ in a while but on the AOSP when you finish with the tab, if there's no more history on it, it will close the tab and switch to another tab that's open. If it's the last tab, it will close the browser altogether.

Could be an ICSB+ bug, can't say I'm come across it recently though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
That 'Contact Pictures looking like ass' pic is real dudes, especially when you change devices

FIX IT

if you click links in a tab, then switch tabs and click links and then switch back and click more, then press back a few times, should it go back in that tab;s history or switch between tabs in the opposite of how you went forward?

Zeppu

Open a link from some external app. That will come up as a new tab, but for all intents and purposes, for the OS it's just an external view from the original app. If you press back you go back to the original app. If instead you press home and later open the browser, that tab is 'orphaned' so if you press back it tries to send you back to the calling app, which has since moved on.

I'm not saying it's not confusing, I'm saying I understand how it works.

I might be wrong on ICSB+ since I don't use it, and Chrome always exits when you go back past the tab's history.

tino

Banned
if you click links in a tab, then switch tabs and click links and then switch back and click more, then press back a few times, should it go back in that tab;s history or switch between tabs in the opposite of how you went forward?

I pressed the + icon to create the new tab.

If new tab is created by clicking on a link then the back button does go back to the previous tab.

cube444

The LG Optimus G is a fast and costly smartphone

LG officially announced its new flagship smartphone, the Optimus G, at an event in South Korea last night, and the company is swinging for the fences with its specifications. The phone includes a 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of storage (and no microSD card slot), LTE, Android 4.0, and a 1280x768 4.7" IPS display. It also includes NFC, 802.11n and Bluetooth 4.0, weighs just over five ounces, and is 0.33 inches thick. According to AnandTech, there will be two versions: one with an 8 megapixel camera that sits flush with the back of the device, and one with a 13MP camera that protrudes slightly from the rear of the device.

Optimus_G_21.jpeg

Link

Futureman

can't you just get a One X and put a stock JB ROM on it?

I do like the look of that hardware better than my GNex though. I don't see spec-wise what could really be that different from the GNex and this year's new Nexus. Faster processor/graphics.... maybe more RAM? I don't really care for that, my phone never lags or feels slow.

kehs

Banned
Like I said during the mapping event/s, Apple has a SHITTON of data catchup if they want to challenge something that Google has been building for close to a decade.

Yeah, HTC has at least 3 ones (ugh) in the works right now.
every time I see the one X I almost get it (because of the screen), then I chicken out.

also it's not available on my carrier because htc sucks at making phones be on all carriers, no one wants that one S business!

kehs

Banned
My friend Google helped me translate:
Online accidentally or intentionally edit only the information required 'Galaxy Design'

is a lot of misunderstanding . , we respect the culture of online netizens quirky ideas and sometimes in surprising and
joyful, but also you, our customers bundeulkkeseo misunderstood Will the Anxious.
Based on objective facts, one by one, to reveal the truth about it.
resolve all the misunderstandings, until that day when this series continues. ^ ^ *

Samsung Tomorrow blog Operations Team

Then a bunch of commie lies meant to desecrate iPhone's history.

I'm not sure why they posted a 3gs twice though.

You on tmo pyro?

My friend Google helped me translate:

Then a bunch of commie lies meant to desecrate iPhone's history.

I'm not sure why they posted a 3gs twice though.

You on tmo pyro?
I'm canadian you non-attention paying prick. I'm on Bell in Canada. Which has the one S. while Rogers in Canada has the One X. But I could buy the phone from rogers and use it on bell, which is the annoying part, but I'd have to buy it full price. Any time I consider getting an android phone (aside from nexus S which I used for about a year), I decide to do it, then realize it's not available or some other BS complication and then I just go with iphone lol.

In Canada it's a bit complicated. In general terms I believe ATT is the equivalent of Rogers and Verizon is the equivalent of Bell frequency wise. BUT all the big 3 carriers support GSM I believe so I can use the phone from anywhere But I can only get upgrades of course, on Bell. And paying full price for a phone is a bizzzzitch.

zedge

I'm canadian you non-attention paying prick. I'm on Bell in Canada. Which has the one S. while Rogers in Canada has the One X. But I could buy the phone from rogers and use it on bell, which is the annoying part, but I'd have to buy it full price. Any time I consider getting an android phone (aside from nexus S which I used for about a year), I decide to do it, then realize it's not available or some other BS complication and then I just go with iphone lol.

In Canada it's a bit complicated. In general terms I believe ATT is the equivalent of Rogers and Verizon is the equivalent of Bell frequency wise. BUT all the big 3 carriers support GSM I believe so I can use the phone from anywhere But I can only get upgrades of course, on Bell. And paying full price for a phone is a bizzzzitch.

Bell, Rogers, Telus and all their bastard children (Chatr, Koodo, Virgin, Fido) are all GSM, same frequencies etc. :)

At one time Telus and Bell were CDMA and still have devices that are grandfathered. They do not have legacy 2G network like Rogers however.

The Bell/Telus LTE network shits all over Rogers though. :D

kehs

Banned
I can never figure out canadia's mobile networks.

More confusing than bagged milk.

So the bell network is GSM or CDMA? If they all support the same GSM is must really suck to get screwed out of devices cause of business dealings. =/

I know the feel about the shitty phones on networks though, tmo never gets anything interesting. Why I'm always buying unlocked all the time.

I can never figure out canadia's mobile networks.

More confusing than bagged milk.

So the bell network is GSM or CDMA? If they all support the same GSM is must really suck to get screwed out of devices cause of business dealings. =/

I know the feel about the shitty phones on networks though, tmo never gets anything interesting. Why I'm always buying unlocked all the time.
there is the issue. Right now my choices on Bell are the Galaxy S3 (eww, no offense to S3 owners), One S, random motrola garbage and the galaxy nexus. Of course I only want an LTE phone so that limits it to the S3 and a few other garbage ass phones.

So basically my upgrade is November 1st. I will not wait later. I'm a nerd so I'm fine switching to android for a year and then iOS next year (yearly upgrades ftw) considering I just used the 4S for a year. BUT if the there is no good android phone available I won't hesitate to just say fuck it and go iphone again.

If HTC puts an upgraded one X on Bell, then I promise I will get that phone. Pics will even be presented as proof so we all rejoice. But if not that, and nothing else comes that is worthwhile, then iphone it is.

The equivalent to Tmobile in canada is Wind/Mobilicity, and yeah they get mostly garbage, so I feel your pain. I used to be with Wind.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'd say Canadians have it easier, since the major networks use the same 850/1900 GSM/HSPA and 700/1700 LTE bands. You can take unlocked devices to any network you want basically

Also, those of us on ATT in the states thank you so so much for having devices that aren't branded and are easy to import :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom