• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

I LoL'd @ Android Central's Article titled....

Why you shouldn't worry about Android 4.2 updates

Yeah cause most people are still worried about Android 4.0 or 4.1 updates that seem like they might not ever happen. :|

/end hater rant

If they can offer a 299 phone off contract that works on all carriers and LTE there really is no excuse anymore

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
4.2 should be for tablets and nexus devices only.

I've learned non-nexus devices don't need to update to every release. I had 2.3.3 for over a year and was never updated to 2.3.4-7

gcubed

4.2 should be for tablets and nexus devices only.

I've learned non-nexus devices don't need to update to every release. I had 2.3.3 for over a year and was never updated to 2.3.4-7

2.3.3 to 2.3.5 is different from 4.1.x to 4.2.

Your experience is the same as what already happened with 4.1.x, there are newer version of 4.1.x that are only on nexus devices

Emwitus

Hey guys! I've never rooted a phone before. Can any one give a link on how to root an old HTC evo 4g to jelly bean please? Can it be done?

Doopliss

I have a question about widgets on Xperia T.

Here, you can see that I have an active walkman widget. Unfortunately I can't toogle it on, when I'm using Nova Launcher, as it simply isn't avaible in Widgets menu, when I'm on Nova launcher.

Is there any way to have this widget not only on default launcher?
Either it's in the list and you just missed it (some widgets just appear as an icon rather than actually showing what they look like), or it's not a real Android widget, just a feature built into the Sony launcher. In the latter case there is nothing you can do to use it in a different launcher.

TeegsD

So why did they go with the JellyBean name for 4.2? All I heard leading up to it was that the next update was supposed to be Key Lime Pie or what not. Have they used the same dessert for a different update before?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
If you only have one card it would have no value to you. I have 4 credit cards and a debit card attached to our checking account. Ill trade those 5 for a single card in a heartbeat. Especially since it provides that extra layer of security with the Google Wallet off switch. If you only own one card though, it wouldn't be worth it.

I obviously have more than one card, but only one can be the default card on your wallet account and thus, only one card can be tied to the physical card at a time. So you'd have to open the phone app to decide which cars its tied to or change it, at which point you should just be using your phone anyway.

Seems unneeded.

gcubed

So why did they go with the JellyBean name for 4.2? All I heard leading up to it was that the next update was supposed to be Key Lime Pie or what not. Have they used the same dessert for a different update before?

the name changes denote significant changes/feature set additions. 4.2 is more of a refinement of 4.1 then a full version change

HawkeyeIC

It's strange to see such discrepancies between the Engadget and Verge reviews (batterly life on the Nexus 4; screen and speed on the Nexus 10).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Perhaps the review units don't have final software considering they're all missing 4.2 features right now. Though it would still be stupid to ship out review units that weren't optimized.

Cipherr

I obviously have more than one card, but only one can be the default card on your wallet account and thus, only one card can be tied to the physical card at a time. So you'd have to open the phone app to decide which cars its tied to or change it, at which point you should just be using your phone anyway.

Seems unneeded.

Unless of course the retailer you are visiting doesnt have an NFC scanner.... I dont think you are understanding this. I would want the card for the times where Im at a store and the retailer doesnt accept NFC payments. Then I have one card to consolidate my 5. If I am at a retailer that DOES have NFC, then I of course just use my phone.

Think of it this way. Right now I carry 5 cards and a phone to cover all retail purchases. Post Google card, I carry 1 card, and my phone to cover all retail purchases.

It will be this way until NFC is widespread enough that I never use the physical cards anymore, then I can just carry my phone everywhere and ditch the card. But until then, this option makes sense.

Yeah I'm reading the gizmodo UK review and they mention that it's not final software. Can't be that far off could it?

Here it is btw: http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/11/google-nexus-4-review-yes-you-want-this-phone/

apparently the camera eats a lot of battery as well. It honestly sounds like they haven't optimized the software very well yet. Most reviews seem to be saying the battery is spotty because of the screen. The verge seems to be the only one I've read that says it has good battery life. Makes me worry a bit.

malyce

As I said before, it has to be software. The Optimus G goes toe to toe with the A6 and the A5X. The N4 running the same hardware gets trumped by the OG and even by the S4/adreno 225. It makes no sense, it's like a LF-A losing to a FR-S in a quarter mile run. The OS the reviewers are running doesn't even have lock screen widgets enabled, so I'd wait for the final product. Then again Anand did mention the OG couldn't get through all the tests in one go and that the N4 had some thermal throttling.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I've started phone shopping once again but I could use some help.

The Galaxy SIII seems to be incredibly popular, yet I'm more drawn to the Razr HD Maxx.

In going with the Rzr I'd lose $100, 0.1'' of screen, and 1gb of ram. Yet I'd gain a significant battery performance.

Is the missing gig of ram a bigger issue than I'm realizing? What's the Rzr's downfall? Or for that matter, why is the GSIII so popular by contrast?

techcrunch review: http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/02/nexus-4-review-not-exactly-perfect-but-close-enough-for-me/

The Galaxy SIII seems to be incredibly popular, yet I'm more drawn to the Razr HD Maxx.

In going with the Rzr I'd lose $100, 0.1'' of screen, and 1gb of ram. Yet I'd gain a significant battery performance.

Is the missing gig of ram a bigger issue than I'm realizing? What's the Rzr's downfall? Or for that matter, why is the GSIII so popular by contrast?
apparently the screen on the razr maxx isn't so hot so there's that too. But I'd easily take 1 gig of ram over 2 if it meant super insane battery life. At the same time though, if this will be your phone for the next 2years+, having that disappointing screen and maybe having that kind of ram (with android) might hurt you in the long run.

If you were looking at the SIII and battery life is important, have you considered the Note 2? I get 2+ days quite easily.

gutshot

So if I'm understanding things correctly, LTE, like GSM, is an open technology. Which means once Verizon blankets the US in LTE coverage, Google will be able to make a Nexus phone with just an LTE radio, sell it unlocked on Google Play and Verizon can't do shit to stop people from using it on their network and it will get instant OS updates and the whole bit? If so, I cannot wait for this to happen.

buhdeh

So if I'm understanding things correctly, LTE, like GSM, is an open technology. Which means once Verizon blankets the US in LTE coverage, Google will be able to make a Nexus phone with just an LTE radio, sell it unlocked on Google Play and Verizon can't do shit to stop people from using it on their network and it will get instant OS updates and the whole bit? If so, I cannot wait for this to happen.

I don't live in the US but from what I understand, no because Verizon still relies on CDMA for voice... unless (or until) they implement voice over data

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

This is plausible, but if Verizon moves to VoLTE, that doesn't guarantee that they'll use the same LTE bands that unlocked phones have. ATT and Verizon both use 700mhz for LTE, but it's still different (block A/ Block B)

gutshot

This is plausible, but if Verizon moves to VoLTE, that doesn't guarantee that they'll use the same LTE bands that unlocked phones have. ATT and Verizon both use 700mhz for LTE, but it's still different (block A/ Block B)

And knowing Verizon they will probably go with whatever can keep things as locked down as possible. Dammit! My dream of an honest-to-goodness Nexus phone with LTE is dashed.

thespot84

And knowing Verizon they will probably go with whatever can keep things as locked down as possible. Dammit! My dream of an honest-to-goodness Nexus phone with LTE is dashed.

Honestly without the FCC and FTC seriously coming down on major carriers to install an open policy (or even enforce the existing one they're not abiding by) it will only get worse. If those in power have no interest in making things open, it simply won't happen.

I kind of wish the screen was a little smaller on the nexus 4. Maybe 4.5 inches. Not just for the slightly better battery life but also for a slightly smaller size.

I'm hoping the kinks can get worked out with a software update. Reading about the battery being all over the place is kinda disheartening.

People give apple shit for maintaining the same looking homescreen since inception but their devices (referring to ipad 4 and iphone 5) are complete monsters.

But yeah from the reviews I'm reading, it seems like google has a lot of optimizing/bug fixing to do. Nexus 4 isn't doing well as it should hardware/battery wise.

gcubed

Qualcomm makes a 7 band LTE radio already on their 28nm chip. It covers all US bands as well as some Euro bands. The only barrier will be VoLTE. VZW is starting trials next year with it, but not sure where/when they will actually start moving real customers to it

AndresON777

shooting blanks
People give apple shit for maintaining the same looking homescreen since inception but their devices (referring to ipad 4 and iphone 5) are complete monsters.

But yeah from the reviews I'm reading, it seems like google has a lot of optimizing/bug fixing to do. Nexus 4 isn't doing well as it should hardware/battery wise.

burger-king-tiny-hands.jpg

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gcubed, I love ya, but we both know they'll be serving slushies in Hell before Verizon allows non-approved devices on their network

gcubed

gcubed, I love ya, but we both know they'll be serving slushies in Hell before Verizon allows non-approved devices on their network

as long as they need CDMA in any fashion they definitely won't. If its pure LTE, they really aren't in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom