• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People give apple shit for maintaining the same looking homescreen since inception but their devices (referring to ipad 4 and iphone 5) are complete monsters

Meh. Internals are only there to drive the software and iOS is bland, boring, and trite as fuck.

Posted from my iPad

buhdeh

I really want to sell my S3 before it loses value but I just KNOW that most of the Nexus 4 shipments will probably be delayed 3-4 weeks like the 7 was.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
apparently the screen on the razr maxx isn't so hot so there's that too. But I'd easily take 1 gig of ram over 2 if it meant super insane battery life. At the same time though, if this will be your phone for the next 2 years+, having that disappointing screen and maybe having that kind of ram (with android) might hurt you in the long run.

That's what I was worried about, the long run implications of coming up short on ram. Plus I told myself I'd never buy another Motorola (droid X owner) as I felt they were faaaaaaaar too sluggish in providing updates, especially when said updates usually broke some other aspect of functionality. Like the bug that wouldn't allow you to see what you were texting. That lasted for months.

If you were looking at the SIII and battery life is important, have you considered the Note 2? I get 2+ days quite easily.

Yeah it was the battery that caught my attention. I thought about the Note but I think its just too big for me.

I think once we get final software, we'll be good...

isn't there always a final software update before the phone is released?

thinking about N4ing and N10ing on day 1 for both...

at the very least the N10, updates to CM10 and AOKP have been pretty quick once source gets released...

I'm not that anxious to give up LTE just yet, but it's not that big of a draw

especially since with all other specs (except maybe screen) the Nexus 4 takes out the One X

I think once we get final software, we'll be good...

isn't there always a final software update before the phone is released?

thinking about N4ing and N10ing on day 1 for both...

at the very least the N10, updates to CM10 and AOKP have been pretty quick once source gets released...

I'm not that anxious to give up LTE just yet, but it's not that big of a draw

especially since with all other specs (except maybe screen) the Nexus 4 takes out the One X
dooooo it. I'm nexus 4ing + ipad mini-ing asap. Phone + tablet 4lyfe.

dooooo it. I'm nexus 4ing + ipad mini-ing asap. Phone + tablet 4lyfe.

have you played with the mini yet? Have to take the wife this weekend to check it out.

either getting her a mini or an ipad 4 for christmas...

but to keep this on topic....

i think i'm gonna try PocketCasts first...sorry TFM

have you played with the mini yet? Have to take the wife this weekend to check it out.

either getting her a mini or an ipad 4 for christmas...

but to keep this on topic....

i think i'm gonna try PocketCasts first...sorry TFM
I have played with the mini. Went to buy one, sold out. Gonna have to wait for the apple.ca to ship mine :(

Can't go wrong with both for different reasons! Though I'm salivating at the thought of a retina mini. True perfection in tablet form.

If google ships their Nexus 4s right away for people who order first (I'm assuming I'll be one of those) there's a good chance I'll get both around the same time. Christmas!

I have played with the mini. Went to buy one, sold out. Gonna have to wait for the apple.ca to ship mine :(

Can't go wrong with both for different reasons! Though I'm salivating at the thought of a retina mini. True perfection in tablet form.

If google ships their Nexus 4s right away for people who order first (I'm assuming I'll be one of those) there's a good chance I'll get both around the same time. Christmas!

i wonder if Google will open up preorders before 11/13

oh and why do all of these podcast apps have to look like shit (Listen included)

HawkeyeIC

So what's google's LTE strategy going to be going forward? Buy a network? Wait for Verizon to cover the US and not deal with CMDA?

(Wants a Verizon Nexus in 2013)

There's still this thought in the back of my mind that I shouldn't get the Nexus 4 and just get an LTE device because of how everywhere LTE is here where I live but ahhh, I hate all the other android devices so much.

I just keep trying to convince myself that 42.2mbps is good enough. I must stay strong.

buhdeh

Do you have a device to test the 42.2mbps network? I don't think I can even get half of 21mbps on Rogers' HSPA+ network regularly.

Anything over 10-15mbps is more than enough bandwidth IMO. If Rogers had 42.2mbps, I'd be set with the N4.

Do you have a device to test the 42.2mbps network? I don't think I can even get half of 21mbps on Rogers' HSPA+ network regularly.

Anything over 10-15mbps is more than enough bandwidth IMO. If Rogers had 42.2mbps, I'd be set with the N4.
nope. My iphone only supports 14.4 max speed and I get about 4-6 down and 2-7 up.

So just extrapolating from that. I think I'll get AT LEAST 10+ down. Doesn't seem like a far-fetched assumption, might even be plenty more. At least I think.

gcubed

So what's google's LTE strategy going to be going forward? Buy a network? Wait for Verizon to cover the US and not deal with CMDA?

(Wants a Verizon Nexus in 2013)

Any back fall to CDMA won't happen. It would require VoLTE. Youll have to switch to ATT next year

JCX

Every android device review I read makes it sound like android will never be stable enough or have enough apps.

GatorBait

While it has been happening less since Ice Cream Sandwich, every now and then Google makes these odd aesthetic changes that I think are a step back from how they previously were.

The newest one that set off my OCD is that the day/date in the notification shade is now on one line instead of two in 4.2 (in 4.1 the day of the week was above the month/year). Such a strange change because the two-line style kept the day/date in equal height to the time, whereas the 4.2 style looks unbalanced.

android-42-notification-pulldown.jpg

Every android device review I read makes it sound like android will never be stable enough or have enough apps.
I honestly don't blame anyone. Android is pretty inconsistent in terms of performance from phone to phone from user to user. Just look at the verge/engadget reviews for a clear example of that.

As for apps, although android is wayyy better than it used to be, the amount of high quality apps is still below iOS in general. But they've made strides. The nature of the open beast.

I honestly don't blame anyone. Android is pretty inconsistent in terms of performance from phone to phone from user to user. Just look at the verge/engadget reviews for a clear example of that.

As for apps, although android is wayyy better than it used to be, the amount of high quality apps is still below iOS in general. But they've made strides. The nature of the open beast.

i've noticed that comparing android to ios really is apples to oranges... or maybe apples to googles

apple has complete control of everything from the hardware to software and everything in between and all around..hell even the carriers...

google has control of the android source code, and 1 phone / 2 tablets per year...that's about it. and forget about anything attached to a carrier... not to mention every ecosystem it's own allies are trying to push over google play

Google should buy t-mobile, change the name to Google Mobile, start buying up spectrum and call it a day...

then start providing wireless and cable internet us wide..and take over the world.

sounds like a plan, lets go for it google.

hell apple treats tmobile like they are google anyway...maybe once they get LTE apple will hand them an iphone.

they are like the only carrier in the world without an iphone.

apple doesnt treat Tmobile in any way. Tmobile has no money.

and how will they ever get money if they can't sell the iphone 4?

also they are merging with Metro PCS right? i wish this took them into 3rd...

Sprint should just buy both of them up now, spend some money to merge their networks and take at&t on.

but wait sprint just got bought...oh well.

and how will they ever get money if they can't sell the iphone 4?

also they are merging with Metro PCS right? i wish this took them into 3rd...

Sprint should just buy both of them up now, spend some money to merge their networks and take at&t on.

but wait sprint just got bought...oh well.

companies lose money selling iPhones though... they gain customers, but selling an iPhone is a loss leader to keep customer numbers high. they make more on other handset contracts. basically, the only thing worse than selling a customer an iPhone is losing them to another carrier...

tino

Banned
companies lose money selling iPhones though... they gain customers, but selling an iPhone is a loss leader to keep customer numbers high. they make more on other handset contracts. basically, the only thing worse than selling a customer an iPhone is losing them to another carrier...

I think only poorly run company i.e. Sprint would do that. Hopefully with the softbank money they don't need to act so desperate anymore.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the Nexus 10 isn't exactly lighting the world on fire in regards to browser texts. It's no surprise though when Chrome for Android is still on version 18 while the desktop is 4 versions ahead. :-!

Ydahs

I'm sick of S2 and it's out of date FW. What exactly do I need to do to get it running Jelly Bean? Any dangers in rooting a phone?

Hopefully they're reading all the comments and notice that they still have a lot of optimizing to do. If it's already blazing now imagine what it could be.

Also it would be nice if you guys waited for me to finish ordering on Nov.13 before you attempted to. I'll appreciate it.

While it has been happening less since Ice Cream Sandwich, every now and then Google makes these odd aesthetic changes that I think are a step back from how they previously were.

The newest one that set off my OCD is that the day/date in the notification shade is now on one line instead of two in 4.2 (in 4.1 the day of the week was above the month/year). Such a strange change because the two-line style kept the day/date in equal height to the time, whereas the 4.2 style looks unbalanced.

Wow that bugs me too. What the hell.

Sky Chief

Joshua Topolsky loves him some Android:

All in all, the changes in Android 4.2 may seem subtle, but they come together to make a more cohesive, enjoyable, and responsive mobile operating system. Android may still have a slightly steeper learning curve than iOS or Windows Phone, but what you get in return for a little bit of extra effort is phenomenal. In just over a year, the OS has gone from a nice-but-flawed experiment to a sleek, sophisticated, and incredibly smart platform. I don't feel any hesitation in saying that the pure Android 4.2 experience is — at least in my estimation — the most advanced mobile operating system on the market.

I agree.

The only thing that really bothers me is making chrome the default browser when its not ready for primetime... android browser was and still is more smooth...plus killing flash when more than half the web still uses it is ridiculous...

Do I get mad at sites still creating flash content because its cheap to make or do I get mad at google for trying to ignore this problem instead of solve it?

HahahaahNo You snooze you lose!
we'll see.

also I still don't know what sites people are visiting with flash. All the websites people think need flash support, work perfectly on iOS devices. The reason they don't work on other devices is because the website makers haven't optimized it for other devices I believe.

we'll see.

also I still don't know what sites people are visiting with flash. All the websites people think need flash support, work perfectly on iOS devices. The reason they don't work on other devices is because the website makers haven't optimized it for other devices I believe.

You mean HTML5? Android and Chrome both support that though

You mean HTML? Android and Chrome both support that though
an example is engadget vids and the verge vids/live podcast streams don't work on android, at least last time I checked. They work perfectly on iOS. Someone in another thread mentioned how liveleak videos don't work on their phone. They work perfectly on my iphone. So on and so forth.

Has something to do with user agents. Either google isn't doing something right with chrome or these websites just don't care about android lol and only optimize for iOS.

an example is engadget vids and the verge vids/live podcast streams don't work on android, at least last time I checked. They work perfectly on iOS. Someone in another thread mentioned how liveleak videos don't work on their phone. They work perfectly on my iphone. So on and so forth.

Has something to do with user agents. Either google isn't doing something right with chrome or these websites just don't care about android lol and only optimize for iOS.

Why they wouldn't care about an OS that was on 75% of smart phones sold last quarter is beyond me. Tech sites really have no excuse.... they should be aware of this.

Massa

Qualcomm open sourcing drivers? if only...

Not them but Google writing an alternative open source implementation with possibly some documentation or support provided by Qualcomm. Purely speculation on my part, it just came to mind since lower performance and power efficiency are exactly the two common traits of clean room open source implementations of complex proprietary drivers.

Why they wouldn't care about an OS that was on 75% of smart phones sold last quarter is beyond me. Tech sites really have no excuse.... they should be aware of this.
android definitely has the most market share but web traffic is dominated by iOS devices.

Not sure what android owners are doing with their phones but the vast majority aint browsing the web!

android definitely has the most market share but web traffic is dominated by iOS devices.

Not sure what android owners are doing with their phones but the vast majority aint browsing the web!

Honestly I'm not sure either. How you could own a smartphone and not browse the web is beyond me.

I was surfing the web on WAP 2.0...

Thought it was the best thing since sliced bread

Honestly I'm not sure either. How you could own a smartphone and not browse the web is beyond me.

lol I'm betting most android owners are just "casuals" who got the phone because they didn't want the iphone or because it was cheapest or because the person working at the store pushed it on them. All they do is text and make phone calls and take pics. At least that's what I assume is the reason there are so few on the internet.

iOS device owners are all savvy hipsters. So they're all browsing the web and buying stuff and doing things on the internets.

JCX

Stores push smartphones so they can charge for data. A lot of the people who used to just have any dumb/feature phone now have whatever free/cheap phone their carrier offers.

Massa

For most people Web = Facebook these days.

lol I'm betting most android owners are just "casuals" who got the phone because they didn't want the iphone or because it was cheapest or because the person working at the store pushed it on them. All they do is text and make phone calls and take pics. At least that's what I assume is the reason there are so few on the internet.

iOS device owners are all savvy hipsters. So they're all browsing the web and buying stuff and doing things on the internets.

Where are these stats from?

For most people Web = Facebook these days.

Where are these stats from?
here is a recent one http://insights.chitika.com/2012/iphone-5-galaxy-s-iii-study/

and that is just iphone. If you include ipod and ipad it's total domination for iOS devices. Hence why websites cater to them and not others. That's why there's this illusion that no flash = missing a lot of content but it's actually mostly there for iOS users. It just doesn't work on chrome/whatever. It's annoying. I wish they'd just do what they need to do for chrome.

another good one: http://www.mobileinquirer.com/2011/web-traffic-dominated-by-ios-mobile-devices/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom