• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

ALL THIS INFO IS MAKING ME GO

im8ny0ajejTN4.gif

jokkir

"Android 4.4, KitKat, which comes on Nexus 5, will also soon be available on Nexus 4, 7, 10, the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google Play edition devicesin the coming weeks."

WHY

kharma45

This is disappointing to hear

Speaking of rendering, the old bugbear of Android has always been scrolling performance. Especially in Chrome, there's always been a sense of lag that seemed completely out of place on top-tier devices. On the Nexus 5, we're very sad to report that the situation doesn't seem any better. There is still not a one-to-one relationship between your finger and the screen, and it's still crazy-making.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/...-android-kit-kat-available-today-starting-349

No Verizon... Kiss my ass...

It's Verizon's fault, not Google's.

The new dialer sounds amazing!

TheVerge[/quote said:
When unrecognized calls come in, Android 4.4 instantly pings the Google Maps database for potential matches. If it finds one, the name of whatever business is calling (and an accompanying photo) will be displayed on screen instead of a random number you've never seen before. "We've made the dialer more intelligent, more manageable." The phone's contact list is also more intuitive. It learns a user's habits (who you call most, etc.) in realtime and rearranges the way your contacts are displayed based on that understanding.

Shambles

It's Verizon's fault, not Google's.

The new dialer sounds amazing!

When unrecognized calls come in, Android 4.4 instantly pings the Google Maps database for potential matches. If it finds one, the name of whatever business is calling (and an accompanying photo) will be displayed on screen instead of a random number you've never seen before. "We've made the dialer more intelligent, more manageable." The phone's contact list is also more intuitive. It learns a user's habits (who you call most, etc.) in realtime and rearranges the way your contacts are displayed based on that understanding.

I'm not blaming Google... it's just that I have no feasible way of getting the fuck out my new contract. Maybe buy one of these, go for Straight Talk with AT&T LTE, sell my Galaxy S4 and do the difference between the two to make up for the ETF.

I feel like a kid dying of cancer, and then have the cure waved in front of my face only to have it go to other patients to be cured.

Aargh. Being a Verizon Wireless customer is the worst. As long as another carrier has a good signal in my neck of the woods, I'll be switching when my contract is up in February.

jokkir

Found some things on Kitkat you guys might like:

Android 4.4 introduces new platform support for secure NFC-based transactions through Host Card Emulation (HCE), for payments, loyalty programs, card access, transit passes, and other custom services. With HCE, any app on an Android device can emulate an NFC smart card, letting users tap to initiate transactions with an app of their choice — no provisioned secure element (SE) in the device is needed. Apps can also use a new Reader Mode to act as readers for HCE cards and other NFC-based transactions

Android apps can now print any type of content over Wi-Fi or cloud-hosted services such as Google Cloud Print. In print-enabled apps, users can discover available printers, change paper sizes, choose specific pages to print, and print almost any kind of document, image, or file.

Screen recording

Now it's easy to create high-quality video of your app, directly from your Android device. Android 4.4 adds support for screen recording and provides a screen recording utility that lets you capture video as you use the device and store it as an MP4 file. It's a great new way to create walkthroughs and tutorials for your app, testing materials, marketing videos, and much more.

Fox318

Well at least Google gave verizon shitty droid phones and a Moto X that is displayed next to the Casio flip phones in the back of every store.

Can anyone give me a reason why I should upgrade from a N4 to a N5. I mean, I'm kinda willing, I just don't find too many arguments that push me over the fence.

jokkir

Galaxy Nexus & Android 4.4 (KitKat) FAQs

Is Google releasing Android 4.4 as a system update for Galaxy Nexus?

No, Galaxy Nexus phones won’t be receiving the update for Android 4.4 (KitKat).

Why isn’t Galaxy Nexus receiving the update to Android 4.4?

Galaxy Nexus, which first launched two years ago, falls outside of the 18-month update window when Google and others traditionally update devices.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3468085?hl=en&ref_topic=3415518

RIP Galaxy Nexus

Toki767

With apps being able to hide the navigation bar and status bar, I wonder if Google will end up adapting some sort of pie control scheme in the future.

DagsJT

Can anyone give me a reason why I should upgrade from a N4 to a N5. I mean, I'm kinda willing, I just don't find too many arguments that push me over the fence.

I can't see many personally. The main reason for me would be the camera but supposedly that's not even amazing compared to others.

I kinda hoped the camera would be better and price cheaper but as it is, I'll probably keep my N4 until the N6 comes out.

Fox318

As I said before, I do blame Verizon. I seriously want to bitch them out like mad...

If it wasn't for me being grandfathered into their unlimited data plan and their coverage I would leave. They have the worst customer service, the worst phones, the worst prices, and the worst stores.

They only have that map.

Shambles

I'm not. I'm still super happy with my N4. It'll last me another year easily, perhaps even two.

Cipherr

it was a long strange journey, but in the end team #onscreenbuttons wins out.

Amen. They added some new effects and even gestures to make on screen buttons live a lot easier on the OS. Fantastic news. No more accidental presses within apps/games which was the only downside of onscreen keys.

Its faster has a better camera, but you shouldnt need to upgrade TBH. N4 is still a great phone and will do you just fine for another year.

mturco

LOL so Google optimizes 4.4, claims it runs on 512mb of RAM, and then drops support for the Galaxy Nexus? Makes perfect sense. Sorry GNexus users.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Its faster has a better camera, but you shouldnt need to upgrade TBH. N4 is still a great phone and will do you just fine for another year.

Yup. I have the N4 and decided that I would rather upgrade to the N6. Especially since the N4 isn't dying to be upgraded.

I doubt a lot of these older phones will upgrade, but it would be nice to see Sony officially upgrading Xperia play to kitkat.

EDIT: Yep, not even google is updating it lol. This is mainly for low/mid end devices going forward to use 4.4 and newer iterations of the OS.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Motorola Moto G:

Motorola Moto G: S4 Pro (1.5GHz x 4), 4.7" 720p, 8GB or 16GB, 8MP, LG-made 1950mAh, starts free on contract [via tip]

BX7VaM6CIAAC9YP.png:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom