• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanonano

30YU3uB.png

So it looks like the non-Nexus 5 devices are stuck with the old launcher? Disappointing.

I guess the new launcher could be a separate app from the Play Store.

Wait, so I can get the N5 from the play store, use it on sprint and it's unlocked?

yep, the device page says it's officially supported by T-Mobile and Sprint.

ALSO, CONFIRMED TRI-BAND!

OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Oct 31, 2013 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Sprint S +1.06% and LG Electronics USA today announced Nexus 5 from Google will be available from Sprint beginning Friday, Nov. 8, for $149.99 (16GB version) after a $50 mail-in rebate via reward card(1) with a new line or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement or $18.75 per month with Sprint One Up (excluding taxes). Nexus 5 by LG will be available in all sales channels, including Sprint Stores, Web Sales and Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1). Customers can pre-order the device beginning Friday, Nov. 1, by visiting www.sprint.com/nexus5.

Nexus 5 by LG is the first Android(TM) 4.4, KitKat, smartphone capable of using the tri-band Sprint 4G LTE(2) network. Sprint Spark is a unique combination of network technologies, spectrum, capacity and tri-band devices designed to bring customers super-high wireless speeds. Nexus 5 will become tri-band enabled with a software update in early 2014.
all dat spectrum

SimleuqiR

30YU3uB.png

So it looks like the non-Nexus 5 devices are stuck with the old launcher? Disappointing.

I guess the new launcher could be a separate app from the Play Store.

If speculation ends up being true, the launcher will be available through the play store GEL (Google Experience Launcher).

The new phone app should also be detached from the OS, if it's so integrated with Google services, might as well. Right?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Vyse was right. I broke down immediately when seeing the Android GAF Hangouts buzzing and bought the Nexus 5. I bought it blindly since I was mobile and didn't have time to look at it, without risking it selling out.

So yeah, white 16 GB Nexus 5 owner. Who wants to buy my 16 GB Nexus 4?

Also, Android GAF Hangouts is the best. Such a great group of people. If you're not with us, you are a terrible person.

gutshot

Vyse was right. I broke down immediately when seeing the Android GAF Hangouts buzzing and bought the Nexus 5. I bought it blindly since I was mobile and didn't have time to look at it, without risking it selling out.

Also, Android GAF Hangouts is the best. Such a great group of people. If you're not with us, you are a terrible person.

How does one get included in such an esteemed group?

gcubed

If speculation ends up being true, the launcher will be available through the play store GEL (Google Experience Launcher).

The new phone app should also be detached from the OS, if it's so integrated with Google services, might as well. Right?

i wonder if it has to do with the new hooks into the GPU for acceleration... thats a terrible excuse, but i can't think of a valid one.

DarkFlow

Banned
LOL so Google optimizes 4.4, claims it runs on 512mb of RAM, and then drops support for the Galaxy Nexus? Makes perfect sense. Sorry GNexus users.

Meh, it's that big a deal. Someone will port it over anyway. I'm about to Upgrade my GNexus anyway to a N5.

*insert one of Andrex's smiley's here*

SimleuqiR

How does one get included in such an esteemed group?

Brett can invite you.

Coco invited me in last week, but since there was not Android news (Nexus 5) things got really OT. I also couldn't keep up with the convo.

i wonder if it has to do with the new hooks into the GPU for acceleration... thats a terrible excuse, but i can't think of a valid one.

I have no technical clue of what you just said. Just seems like it would make sense for Google to detach those aspect of the phone.

Yeah, the more Goggly the experience on the 4.4 launcher is really interesting for what it means for Samsung-gonna-Samsung (well, all of them really).

Probably just ignoring them all and making their own, but why redesign your own dialer when you can use an interesting feature filled Google o- oh yeah because you can and you want it to look like a Fisher Price phone nevermind

gcubed

Brett can invite you.

Coco invited me in last week, but since there was not Android news (Nexus 5) things got really OT. I also couldn't keep up with the convo.

I have no technical clue of what you just said. Just seems like it would make sense for Google to detach those aspect of the phone.

they have new gpu acceleration tweaks with renderscript, but then i noticed this

Now with Android 4.4, GPU acceleration is available on the Nexus 5, as well as the Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), and Nexus 10, and we're working with our partners to bring it to more devices as soon as possible.

Galaxy Nexus isn’t being updated to Android 4.4 because it’s older than 18 months.

Meanwhile Apple still updates the iPhone 4 and iPad 2, which came out 40 months and 31 months ago respectively.

Fuck off, Google. Glad I went back to iOS.

iPhone 4 on iOS7 is ridiculously ass.

I was scanning xda earlier today. I'm so impatient.

The idea that the new system is designed to operate with 512MB device will have me kissing my phone if they can get a decent ROM on it.

It's puzzling that Google would drop support for it, but good ROM's will definitely come to it. I would not doubt it for a second.

3phemeral

It's puzzling that Google would drop support for it, but good ROM's will definitely come to it. I would not doubt it for a second.

Yeah, I mean. I've been rocking a custom ROM for over a year now, but it would be nice to have the device still officially supported. I always hoped that OS incremental point updates would be designed for the phone that originally debuted that version of software, but considering how they've extended to two new generations and still haven't hit 5.0, I guess it's asking for too much.

It just stings when you read "optimized for 512MB RAM devices." hah

kinggroin

Banned
Galaxy Nexus isn’t being updated to Android 4.4 because it’s older than 18 months.

Meanwhile Apple still updates the iPhone 4 and iPad 2, which came out 40 months and 31 months ago respectively.

Fuck off, Google. Glad I went back to iOS.

That's an interesting way to spell sabotage

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

*insert one of Andrex's smiley's here*

Xsd74Si.png

kinggroin

Banned

Aaaaawwww

Things are really going start bumping once our Nexii arrive. Someone hold me!

Speaking of Nexii, is the N10 (2012) worth a purchase? It seems to be dropping price in the UK, if it drops any lower I might be tempted to pick one up, wondering if it's worth it or not.

EmiPrime

Is there a podcast app that plays nice with iTunes and syncs subscriptions? I assume the answer is no but I thought I would check. Podcasts are a big deal to me and it looks like this part of the transition from IOS will be the hardest.

kinggroin

Banned
come on peeps, how come i'm not in the hangout?

Bitch you and everyone in here were invited to participate with prism, and subsequently, the much more interesting hangout (love you brett)

Send him your Gmail address. We'll get you in.

Rex, how much for your Gnex?

dubq

Hell yeah! Kept refreshing and was just able to put through an order for a N5 32GB black on the Canadian store! So hype~!

Zeppu

So let me just get this straight. Google's entire release strategy was as follows:
  • Announce Kit Kat partnership
  • Wait for leaks
  • Have Kit Kat send everyone on a wild goose chase
  • Leak release date
  • Press release with NDA
  • Leak time of embargo
  • Announce

They used the leaks as a marketing ploy. They knew everyone would know everything about the phone by the time they announced so why pretend they don't. Just let people know when it's on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom