• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananas

Banned
Galaxy Nexus isn’t being updated to Android 4.4 because it’s older than 18 months.

Meanwhile Apple still updates the iPhone 4 and iPad 2, which came out 40 months and 31 months ago respectively.

Fuck off, Google. Glad I went back to iOS.

jokkir

Been digging around and noticed a few things for devices upgrading to 4.4 that's not a Nexus 5.

These features are only available on Nexus 5:
You don’t need to touch the screen to get things done. When on your home screen*
Full-screen wallpapers with preview

Your wallpaper now extends through the notification tray and system buttons. And when you change your wallpaper, you can preview just how it will look before you set it.
HDR+ photography

HDR+ mode on Nexus 5 automatically snaps a rapid burst of photos and combines them to give you the best possible single shot. Daytime pictures are vivid with clean shadows, and nighttime photos are sharp with less noise.
Low-power audio playback

Android 4.4 on Nexus 5 lets you listen to music for longer - up to 60 hours of audio playback.

From here:
http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

Look at the stuff that has an asterisk beside it

Toki767

Galaxy Nexus isn’t being updated to Android 4.4 because it’s older than 18 months.

Meanwhile Apple still updates the iPhone 4 and iPad 2, which came out 40 months and 31 months ago respectively.

Come on now. Don't even pretend like the iPhone 4 getting iOS 7 was anything but a travesty for anyone that actually updated to it. It wasn't deserving of iOS 7 at all considering how crappy it runs.

Groof

Been digging around and noticed a few things for devices upgrading to 4.4 that's not a Nexus 5.

These features are only available on Nexus 5:

From here:
http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

Look at the stuff that has an asterisk beside it
I read this:
Full-screen wallpapers with preview

Your wallpaper now extends through the notification tray and system buttons. And when you change your wallpaper, you can preview just how it will look before you set it.*
Like the full preview is what's only available on the N5, but the wallpaper extension is available on everything else. I might be wrong though.

phoenixyz

LOL so Google optimizes 4.4, claims it runs on 512mb of RAM, and then drops support for the Galaxy Nexus? Makes perfect sense. Sorry GNexus users.
That is so fucking weak. What the fuck are they thinking? Great role model against fragmentation, Google!
Hopefully the CM guys will bring 4.4 to the GNexus.

Shambles

Lol. How's that iOS working out on your iPhone4 and iPad 2?

mturco

Looks like 4.4 adds a standard file browsing dialog kind of like Windows' "save as" dialog.

kk-saf2-n5.jpg

A standard, easy-to-use UI lets users browse files and access recents in a consistent way across apps and providers.

Cloud or local storage services can participate in this ecosystem by implementing a new document provider class that encapsulates their services.

Indeed. That's a very poor excuse on Google's part.

They want to fix the fragmentation issue, do great work on the OS to do that, but then don't upgrade a device because it's only 18 months old. It also sends other OEMs a message that they shouldn't update their old devices either.

iOS would be a lot more fragmented if Apple did the same thing.

Fox318

I think that has more to do with the Galaxy Nexus ram situation.

bananas

Banned
Come on now. Don't even pretend like the iPhone 4 getting iOS 7 was anything but a travesty for anyone that actually updated to it. It wasn't deserving of iOS 7 at all considering how crappy it runs.

Yeah, FOr sUre, Google would neveR release a version of AnDrOid ThaT WOuld totally mess up the phone experience.

Lol. How's that iOS working out on your iPhone4 and iPad 2?

I don't own an iPhone 4 or iPad 2. So I don't know what iOS 7 is working out for me there. Just like I won't know how 4.4 will work on my Galaxy Nexus.

I think that has more to do with the Galaxy Nexus ram situation.

I think it has more to do with Google not giving a fuck.

Elchele

Is it true that Googly is going to launch a Google Experience Launcher or something like that with Google Now included for older devices?

mturco

wait, why are people complaining about the Galaxy Nexus? it's bootloader unlockable and Android is open source... just wait for CM or someone else...

I just think it's funny and a bit ironic that it's optimized to run on low end hardware but (evidently) not old hardware (which you would think would be the same thing).

Nicktendo86

That verge preview was terrible, huy saying oh camera won't be great as its an android, chrome lags cos its android blah. What a prick.

gcubed

Yeah of course, but it was such a clear case of Google dogfooding their signature feature of the new OS.

the gnex? more like dogshitting amirite?!

That verge preview was terrible, huy saying oh camera won't be great as its an android, chrome lags cos its android blah. What a prick.

the only explanation would be that they only got the phone earlier today. If thats not the case, they should be ashamed

bananas

Banned
So by Google's logic, this will be the last update the 2012 Nexus 7 will probably get. Unless 4.5 or 5.0 gets released before February.

It's fucking stupid. Yeah, I know I can wait for CM to release a version, but that's not the point. It's about Google sending a message that they don't really give a shit. The chipmaker that make's the SOC went out of business and it would be hard to update drivers for it? Google is a multi-billion dollar corporation. They could make it work if they wanted to.

But they don't want to.

Those customers that, instead of purchasing better, more powerful Android phones, chose yours because it was the Google phone. Those loyal customers that dealt with battery issues, and a worse camera, because they wanted your phone. The phone that you were still selling one year ago.

Nope. Were not supporting you anymore. Buy our new phone.

No thanks, Google.

mturco

Just read the entire 4.4 changelog on Google's site and I'm now pretty sure this is easily the biggest update since 4.0. In fact, I would argue that under the hood there's more new stuff than 4.0 introduced (but obviously not as dramatic of a UI overhaul).

Read the changelog if you don't believe me.

Also remember everyone was so sure Canada would get screwed on the price. I'd like to point out that it wasn't randomly 20 bucks more expensive this time. It was 349 :p

Threi

notag

I agree. Worst are the people who are just like "oh just get a new phone and stop bitching lol"

Yeah lets just give manufacturers more of an excuse to shorten device cycles and try to force users to upgrade so that they can get revenue on new devices with superficial improvements...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom