• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmincer

Really? I thought the one felt great in the hand, the curve really helped especially compared to the Xperia Z/Z1. Every time I'm on the verge of buying a Sony phone and then I go into the store and actually hold one in my hand and it feels so angular and sharp, basically like they forgot about ergonomics when designing and went for something that looked good in pictures. Despite the Note 3 actually being bigger, it was actually easier to hold which made the decision much easier. Should be getting it later this week

Yeah, if you buy a Sony phone you need a case for it. I dropped mine on the first week of having it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to write a review. But I can answer questions to the best of my ability. I will say that my constant reboots have substantially decreased. They still exist, however. But it's gone from several times a day to once every couple of days. Bearable now. I was THIS close to getting rid of it.

What did you find buggy with BT? My BT keyboard worked fine on JB. I haven't tried it on KK, though. Never used a mouse.

I had problems when both WiFi and. Bluetooth were connected. Are the fewer crashes due to you only turn it on every couple of days?! ;)

I'll grab one and test it out on kitkat.

Rumour alert!

Kaz may be showing Sony's Glass competitor at the keynote in a few hours! To be brought to market "before the year's end".

What about the usage on phones doesn't apply to tablets?

"Why did you make the system buttons and status bar consistent across all devices in Jelly Bean?

“This new configuration is based on usability research we did on all of the different form factors and screen sizes that Android runs on. What mattered most of all was muscle memory – keeping the buttons where you expect them, no matter how you hold the device"

I prefer on screen buttons, but a bunch of folk here don't. On phones I can understand the arguments given that they are primarily used in portrait, with media the only real exception. On Tablets that mix is a lot more varied and most are rectangular slabs. More so than mobiles. So you are more likely to pick them up "in the wrong way".

That said, Google need to implement the double tap to wake up in place of using a standby button and do something to allow volume adjustment on the fly without requiring those buttons either.

EDIT: Those new Samsung Tablets have ditched the menu button. Ehmagerd!

Talon

Rumour alert!

Kaz may be showing Sony's Glass competitor at the keynote in a few hours! To be brought to market "before the year's end".
I'm excited for another hilariously awkward Sony demonstration.

sonyrolly-christmaslg1.jpg

Futureman

I keep getting an "Auto Backup Stalled" in my notification bar. It's a little cloud icon with an exclamation point.

when I touch the notification, nothing happens. No apps open or anything. So I have no idea what this is referring to!

any clue NeoGAF?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
"Why did you make the system buttons and status bar consistent across all devices in Jelly Bean?

“This new configuration is based on usability research we did on all of the different form factors and screen sizes that Android runs on. What mattered most of all was muscle memory – keeping the buttons where you expect them, no matter how you hold the device"

I prefer on screen buttons, but a bunch of folk here don't. On phones I can understand the arguments given that they are primarily used in portrait, with media the only real exception. On Tablets that mix is a lot more varied and most are rectangular slabs. More so than mobiles. So you are more likely to pick them up "in the wrong way".

That said, Google need to implement the double tap to wake up in place of using a standby button and do something to allow volume adjustment on the fly without requiring those buttons either.

EDIT: Those new Samsung Tablets have ditched the menu button. Ehmagerd!
See I want physical buttons because you can't really accidentally press them. And I mean mechanical buttons, non of this capacitive nonsense.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sony's had head mounted displays forever. Since at least I started researching them back on my .hack kick, which was like 2003.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I had problems when both WiFi and. Bluetooth were connected. Are the fewer crashes due to you only turn it on every couple of days?! ;)

I'll grab one and test it out on kitkat.

Never had those BT and wifi problems. I guess back on 4.2, wifi would drop out, though. But it hasn't been a major issue. Rebooting, though, damn.

I use my N10 on a regular, daily basis. It reboots and it's annoying, but I can live with it for now. There's still no better tablet, IMO. 10", which is a real tablet size unlike the shitty N7, stock Android, and, very important, front facing speakers. I'm still surprised front facing speakers aren't standard now. They're fantastic. Also, I installed Google Experience Launcher on my N10. It's slow, laggy, and perceptibly struggling. This tablet is slow.

Alas, the Nexus 10 is the best Android tablet out there. Still.

Groof

ugh, samsung got rid of the menu button

It's funny because I was so busy shaking my head at them using capacitive buttons on their tablets that I didn't notice they'd changed it into a multitask button.
At least they've finally caught up with everyone else. LG is next up, but they can at least do it through software on their flagships.

Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to be using the new G+ Photos app?

I'm in the Camera tab. I see that my photo has a cloud with a checkmark in it (indicating it has been auto-backed up, I presume). I delete the photo here. It's gone from my phone. I move over to the Highlights tab and I STILL see the image I just deleted there. I check my Trash folder in the G+ Photos app and the image I just deleted isn't there.

How the hell do I delete an auto-backup from the Photos app? Or hell, any image stored in the cloud on the G+ Photos app? Am I just expected to have to delete it twice (once from the Camera tab and again on the Highlights tab)?

Emwitus

I'm in the Camera tab. I see that my photo has a cloud with a checkmark in it (indicating it has been auto-backed up, I presume). I delete the photo here. It's gone from my phone. I move over to the Highlights tab and I STILL see the image I just deleted there. I check my Trash folder in the G+ Photos app and the image I just deleted isn't there.

How the hell do I delete an auto-backup? Or hell, any image stored in the cloud on the G+ Photos app? Am I just expected to have to delete it twice (once from the Camera tab and again on the Highlights tab)?
From what I understand deleting from gallery deleted from phone and g+ photos from cloud. So yes, you have to delete it twice. I usually don't have any photos stored on my phone. I take a pic it auto uploads then I promptly delete

AndyD

aka andydumi

How the hell do I delete an auto-backup from the Photos app? Or hell, any image stored in the cloud on the G+ Photos app? Am I just expected to have to delete it twice (once from the Camera tab and again on the Highlights tab)?

Yes. Because in case you accidentally delete a phone picture you didn't mean to, it is backed up.

Yes. Because in case you accidentally delete a phone picture you didn't mean to, it is backed up.

I guess I can accept that reasoning.

Just seems completely unintuitive to have to go through either one of these steps just to delete auto-backups though:

1. Search for "#autobackup"
(how would anyone know to do this?)

2. Go into the Highlights tab and hope I remember the date that I took the picture otherwise I'll have to press > on every single date entry to look for it.

It also doesn't help that if I'm on my tablet, I have to do one of the two above to view the photos that I backed up from my phone.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I guess I can accept that reasoning.

Just seems completely unintuitive to have to go through either one of these steps just to delete auto-backups though:

1. Search for "#autobackup"
(how would anyone know to do this?)

2. Go into the Highlights tab and hope I remember the date that I took the picture otherwise I'll have to press > on every single date entry to look for it.

It also doesn't help that if I'm on my tablet, I have to do one of the two above to view the photos that I backed up from my phone.

How else would you do it though?

In the Photos app they are grouped by date and ordered chronologically. Or you can go to Albums if you have sorted photos into an album since they were backed up.

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to delete. Every backup? Some backups? How would Google know which you wanted to delete and sort it better for you to do so? Do you mean you want to see a wall of every photo ever without the "highlights" step?

It's funny because I was so busy shaking my head at them using capacitive buttons on their tablets that I didn't notice they'd changed it into a multitask button.
At least they've finally caught up with everyone else. LG is next up, but they can at least do it through software on their flagships.

c'mon now, if Samsung has it, LG already has that shit in beta.

Blackhead

Redarse
Never had those BT and wifi problems. I guess back on 4.2, wifi would drop out, though. But it hasn't been a major issue. Rebooting, though, damn.

I use my N10 on a regular, daily basis. It reboots and it's annoying, but I can live with it for now. There's still no better tablet, IMO. 10", which is a real tablet size unlike the shitty N7, stock Android, and, very important, front facing speakers. I'm still surprised front facing speakers aren't standard now. They're fantastic. Also, I installed Google Experience Launcher on my N10. It's slow, laggy, and perceptibly struggling. This tablet is slow.

Alas, the Nexus 10 is the best Android tablet out there. Still.
Do you have flash installed on 4.4.2.

Isn't the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition a better tablet (albeit not better value for money)? I'd take it over the Nexus 10 if only for the hardware buttons; there is no goddam justification for a 10" tablet to have software buttons like the Nexus 10 does imo.
Oh god those new Samsung Tablets have physical buttons... I know there's room for debate about this on phones, but on tablets?
menu button is gone though. replaced by multitask button. one more for the good guys.

Finally!

Has anyone ever dual booted Android on a Windows 8 (x86 not RT) computer? I've seen instructions online for how to do it, but I haven't heard how well it actually works.

I'll be getting a bonus from work for the Microsoft Store and I'm thinking about getting a Surface Pro or some other full Win 8 tablet, but there's still a few apps I don't want to lose (Pocket Casts especially).

Isn't the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition a better tablet (albeit not better value for money)? I'd take it over the Nexus 10 if only for the hardware buttons; there is no goddam justification for a 10" tablet to have software buttons like the Nexus 10 does imo.

I heard that the newest Samsung Note 10.1 has better hardware specs, but al the reviews I read said it performs worse than the Nexus 10. I was really looking forward to it as a potential N10 replacement, but it didn't really seem worth it.

kehs

Banned
Has anyone ever dual booted Android on a Windows 8 (x86 not RT) computer? I've seen instructions online for how to do it, but I haven't heard how well it actually works.

I'll be getting a bonus from work for the Microsoft Store and I'm thinking about getting a Surface Pro or some other full Win 8 tablet, but there's still a few apps I don't want to lose (Pocket Casts especially).

You can boot android from a usb stick without having to install anything. Not sure about a surface though, what with their efi stuff.

ajpw

well that's the point of having a backup, so its in 2 places

HELP!

Long story short, my phone keeps rebooting and I'm not sure why. I've tried flashing a few different roms, wipes, factory resets, etc...but nothing is working. It will sometimes make it to the actual OS, but it never lasts long before it reboots again and get back into that cycle. What could be the issue?

gcubed

My point is that it's not plainly obvious where you go to delete the backup in the first place. How would anyone know to go into a tab called "Highlights" to delete your backups?

wait, it gets even better. Highlights doesn't always show you ever pic either. Its only what google thinks is a highlight.

thespot84

HELP!

Long story short, my phone keeps rebooting and I'm not sure why. I've tried flashing a few different roms, wipes, factory resets, etc...but nothing is working. It will sometimes make it to the actual OS, but it never lasts long before it reboots again and get back into that cycle. What could be the issue?

have you restored the bootloader? What kind of phone is it?

Dat Z1 Compact! It's really awesome guys. Definitely going to be very popular. Only mini flagship which is actually awesome and not gimped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom