• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr4656

Reading all these posts is both very enlightening as well as very, very depressing. I just feel so bad for them, even though I know I shouldn't.
I feel depressed too, especially considering their current phones are pretty good.
who is serious about stepping into (or up) the phone market that they would want HTC? Do they hold anything of value?
Yes, they have at least some market share in the US and Europe, and still make some well designed products (HTC One).
Lenovo should be seen as the prime mover. They don't have a big name in phones outside of China and HTC are still a big brand in Europe and the US. They will do what they did with ThinkPad. Slowly phase in their own name and branding over a few years until people are used to the Lenovo name.

They hold a few patents, but their brand is probably the most important asset they have.

The other player could be Sony because they would then be able to leverage HTC's already arranged carrier deals within the US. Though I think it would be too expensive for them and getting deals done with AT&T and Softbank USA shouldn't be very difficult with HTC circling the drain.
If Lenovo really does buy HTC and do what they do with Thinkpad, its going to turn into real low quality shit after 2 years.

gcubed

while the htc one is definitely pretty, and i really really like the front speakers... its just a terrible product to hold (IMO). I was more sold on it BEFORE i owned it instead of after I did.

tr4656

while the htc one is definitely pretty, and i really really like the front speakers... its just a terrible product to hold (IMO). I was more sold on it BEFORE i owned it instead of after I did.

Really? I live with someone who has one and it feels fine to hold. Its a bit more rounded that what I'm used to but its not a real big problem.

tino

Banned
In our latest episode of, "just how fucked are HTC" we look at their quarterly results.
2010: 33,087
2011: 26,363
2012: 21,569
2013: 12,433

Massive collapse.

This is a punishment from god: release phones with replaceable battery and SD slot, revenue good; release phone with no replaceable battery and SD slot, revenue bad!!! Mwahahaha

gcubed

At this point the only advantage tmobile has over att prepaid is advertising. AIO is cheaper, with infinitely better coverage and infinitely more LTE.

Tmobile needs to hurry up and expand their network because they don't really offer anything compelling anymore

This is a punishment from god: release phones with replaceable battery and SD slot, revenue good; release phone with no replaceable battery and SD slot, revenue bad!!! Mwahahaha

Their downfall began when they lost the rooting community with all their locked bootloader shit back in the day. That's a large reason people moved to Samsung.

this_guy

At this point the only advantage tmobile has over att prepaid is advertising. AIO is cheaper, with infinitely better coverage and infinitely more LTE.

Tmobile needs to hurry up and expand their network because they don't really offer anything compelling anymore

The only thing compelling T-Mobile has is their $30/month 5gb plan. If you talk on your phone and need minutes you can get the same T-Mobile network through MetroPCS for $10/month cheaper (it's actually more like $15-20/month savings because taxes are INCLUDED with MetroPCS). If T-Mobile's coverage doesn't work then AT&T's GoPhone or AIO Wireless are great alternatives (and both of their monthly plans also INCLUDE taxes). I'm using GoPhone at the moment on the $60/month plan, but it's easy to find discounted refills online of 10% or more. Then there's all the other mvnos like Straight Talk, but I'd rather not deal with their customer service.

Noema

I'm a long time iPhone user, but my 3.5 year old iPhone 4, besides feeling really slow, is literally falling apart. I'm looking at the Moto G since it seems to be pretty good for the price and it's pretty much the only off contract phone I can afford right now that's not a piece of garbage (Nexus 5 would be better but it's not available in my country).

Could you guys recommend me some replacement apps? Preferably free:

Podcasts: On iOS I use the Apple app, which isn't very good.

Remote Desktop: I use LogMeIn Ignition on iOS. I know there's an Android version, but I don't want to have to buy it again (it's like $30). On iOS there's a free version of LogMein, but I can't find it in the Play Store. What's a good, free Remote Desktop App?

YouTube: On iOS, there's an app called MxTube, which allows me to easily download videos for later viewing. It's really handy since I spend several hours a day on the bus / subway, and saves me from having to burn my limited mobile data. Is there something similar for Android? There's an app called MxTube in the Play Store, but that one just streams audio.

I also need a Scientific Calculator with Graphing capabilities. Any recommendations?

Also, what's your PDF reader of choice?

And finally, how well does the default Email app handle ActiveSync? Specifically Outlook.com accounts.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

tr4656

I'm a long time iPhone user, but my 3.5 year old iPhone 4, besides feeling really slow, is literally falling apart. I'm looking at the Moto G since it seems to be pretty good for the price and it's pretty much the only off contract phone I can afford right now that's not a piece of garbage (Nexus 5 would be better but it's not available in my country).

Could you guys recommend me some replacement apps? Preferably free:

Podcasts: On iOS I use the Apple app, which isn't very good.

Remote Desktop: I use LogMeIn Ignition on iOS. I know there's an Android version, but I don't want to have to buy it again (it's like $30). On iOS there's a free version of LogMein, but I can't find it in the Play Store. What's a good, free Remote Desktop App?

YouTube: On iOS, there's an app called MxTube, which allows me to easily download videos for later viewing. It's really handy since I spend several hours a day on the bus / subway, and saves me from having to burn my limited mobile data. Is there something similar for Android? There's an app called MxTube in the Play Store, but that one just streams audio.

Also, what's your PDF reader of choice?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

For Podcast, Pocket Casts. Its paid but worth every cent. I just use the default PDF reader personally since it works fine.

tr4656

Yep, although Nexus adoption didn't really take off huge until the low priced Nexus 4. Now it's a viable line of phones.

Galaxy Nexus was okay, other than the fact that it had shit battery life (and caused me to buy another battery, blah) and a shit camera.

Husker86

because no one pays attention.

Although if you have an off contract phone there is no reason to go with ACTUAL ATT and not go with Prepaid ATT for even less

I'm always worried about roaming with prepaid plans. I know it doesn't seem logical, but AT&T does sometimes roam on someone else's network (I have no idea who that could be) and with GoPhone, you don't get roaming, right?

Straight Talk did let me roam, which was nice. It isn't something that happens often, but it's nice to have coverage in remote areas that you might not expect to have coverage.

Plus the limited LTE speeds...meh. I'll probably switch when my contract is up, but I wouldn't say there is no reason to be on AT&T proper.

Oh, and tethering.

Na, it's down to shit marketing and a confused mid to low end strategy. That and Samsung's marketing, sales relations and flooding the market.

If there was a god, Samsung would be getting anally destroyed by a razor infested dildo of doom for software bloat and UI design.

Their downfall began when they lost the rooting community with all their locked bootloader shit back in the day. That's a large reason people moved to Samsung.

Nope, the root community do not influence the mass market purchaser anywhere near as much as you perceive.

Na, it's down to shit marketing and a confused mid to low end strategy. That and Samsung's marketing, sales relations and flooding the market.

If there was a god, Samsung would be getting anally destroyed by a razor infested dildo of doom for software bloat and UI design.

and yet the first thing people seem to ask when they consider running stock Android is "can i use [name of a samsung 'bloatware' app] with stock?"

so The Walking Dead Season 1 got released on Android exclusively for the Kindle Fire HDX on the Amazon Appstore?

yes, we all know what happened 5 minutes later...

By people you mean mass market purchasers? And not the hard core who live in threads like this, on XDA and ...

What are the Samsung apps I should be installing?

i mean the people around here and xda etc. the mass market runs TouchWiz and likes it.

gcubed

so The Walking Dead Season 1 got released on Android exclusively for the Kindle Fire HDX on the Amazon Appstore?

i mean the people around here and xda etc. the mass market runs TouchWiz and likes it.

i hope it got pirated

the mass market runs touchwiz because thats what the phone they have runs. Not that they like it

Yes, that's true. The mass market also thinks that Barbie Girl by Aqua is a better song than anything Radiohead ever released. There's no accounting for that kind of behavior.

I'd honestly like to know what the Samsung apps are that are popular here. I might be missing out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

AIO also locks down your LTE speeds so it's not even LTE, lol. (8 Mbps for LTE, 4 Mbps for HSPA+ max.) Also AIO might not even exist soon since AT&T's buying Cricket and their tech is incompatible.

Straight Talk is best (no pre-cap throttling, $10 cheaper, 0.5 GB more LTE data.)

Yes, that's true. The mass market also thinks that Barbie Girl by Aqua is a better song than anything Radiohead ever released. There's no accounting for that kind of behavior.

I'd honestly like to know what the Samsung apps are that are popular here. I might be missing out.

i dunno if you in particular would be missing out, but people seem to ask if they can use the Samsung calendar, Samsung browser, S Beam, S Note and multiwindow with stock.

i hope it got pirated
5 minutes later.

the mass market runs touchwiz because thats what the phone they have runs. Not that they like it
of course.

i dunno if you in particular would be missing out, but people seem to ask if they can use the Samsung calendar, Samsung browser, S Beam, S Note and multiwindow with stock.

5 minutes later.

of course.

Instead of Google Calendar, Chrome/stock browser, Android Beam?

I'll give you multiwindow, I can see why custom rom users might be interested in that, though technically I don't think that's an app.

Instead of Google Calendar, Chrome/stock browser, Android Beam?

I'll give you multiwindow, I can see why custom rom users might be interested in that, though technically I don't think that's an app.
yes. chrome ... come on now ... even peeps with nexus devices don't stan chrome. absolutely.

iQQtSNMbIoMe5.gif

oh, and the Samsung email app! though i hear that with 4.4, the stock email app is finally not shit.

yes. chrome ... come on now ... even peeps with nexus devices don't stan chrome. absolutely.

iQQtSNMbIoMe5.gif

oh, and the Samsung email app! though i hear that with 4.4, the stock email app is finally not shit.

Dude it's not 2011. Chrome is pretty damn good now, unless you have a horrible CPU/GPU.
Stuff here

And yeah KitKat fixed the stock e-mail app.

Husker86

I can tether fine on aio... But yes you do get "slower" LTE speeds

But it's not officially allowed, is it? I switch between phones sometimes, and one of them is an iPhone and I really don't like to jailbreak iPhones anymore. Plus, isn't AT&T pretty strict when people were tethering on their unlimited plans? I'd be worried that they would cancel the account for violating TOS or something.

They bought Cricket??

EulaCapra

I need your help GAF-Wizards!

I posted in the HTC One thread half a month ago about an ongoing Wifi problem. I didn't think it was the new router/Gateway playing shenanigans with my HTC One causing it to have super fast Wifi speed loading pages in 0.5-1.5 seconds one minute and then super slow Wifi speed loading pages in 15-30 seconds the next. All of my other Wifi devices are unaffected and the phone had been playing nice with the Gateway for a month prior to acting up.

So today I logged on to the Gateway's IP address and under "Connected Devices" on my laptop and when the HTC One is loading super fast as normal, it has an IPV6 Address listing underneath it. But then 10 minutes later, when my HTC One started to slow to a crawl, I checked my laptop and its IPV6 Address was gone. I even tested the IPV6 on separate occasions.
This test took barely 3 seconds to finish.
Jn5wABb.jpg

10 minutes later... this same test took over a minute to finish.
e9gFt5c.jpg
GAF-Wizards, what is this madness?

Edit: I may have solved my own problem. It was literally Comcast's fault. It was blocking the IPV6 address for some unknown reason, probably thinking it was the new next door neighbor's.

gcubed

But it's not officially allowed, is it? I switch between phones sometimes, and one of them is an iPhone and I really don't like to jailbreak iPhones anymore. Plus, isn't AT&T pretty strict when people were tethering on their unlimited plans? I'd be worried that they would cancel the account for violating TOS or something.

They bought Cricket??

No idea. I just push the button on the phone and it works, and yes they bought cricket a while ago and are going to merge it with aio

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Every year people get hyped over mobile Nvidia stuff and every year they let us down. Don't fall for it again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tegra 3 and Tegra 4 leveraged none of Nvidias existing GPU stuff though.

Now that project denver is a different beast. The 32 bit chip is a bit of a half assed stopgap though.

jey_16

Banned

Really? I thought the one felt great in the hand, the curve really helped especially compared to the Xperia Z/Z1. Every time I'm on the verge of buying a Sony phone and then I go into the store and actually hold one in my hand and it feels so angular and sharp, basically like they forgot about ergonomics when designing and went for something that looked good in pictures. Despite the Note 3 actually being bigger, it was actually easier to hold which made the decision much easier. Should be getting it later this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom