• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet, the "successor" to the One X was One X+

No it wasn't. The successor to the HTC One X was the HTC One. The One X+ was a mid-year refresh. Unless of course the rumour is that it will be a refresh in H1 with the true successor coming in H2 to line up with Qualcomm's release schedule better. I don't see it though as H2 has too much competition with Apple, Samsung and Sony all releasing flagship devices.

tzare

I'm calling bullshit on the name of the M8, HTC One+ sounds idiotic. Also the specs. S805 is sampling for OEMs in Q1 with mass shipments at the end of Q2. Part of the reason Sony shifted their flagship to the second half was to ensure they would benefit from the latest chipsets and it's also why Samsung have the Note series in the second half. Not only that, but HTC are now a tier two buyer for Qualcomm. They couldn't even get their hands on any 2013 S800 shipments for the One Max and had to stick with S600. If they are releasing in the first half then it is going to be based on S800, probably the older revision rather than the MSM8974AB revision used in the Note 3 and Z1. HTC no longer have the buying power and will have to make do with whatever scraps Qualcomm throw them off the table.

Honestly, that list reads like wishful thinking, same as all those ones we used to get for the Sony flagships. Also, I highly, highly doubt the western version of the M8 will have a removable SD slot. HTC have said previously that they aren't going back to that model. I don't see what has changed since then. If anything the people who may have been able to push back against the decision have been forced out of the company and Peter Chou has strengthened his.
what is in the horizon for next year flagships? snapdragon 805 but is it really worth? 2k screens do not seem necessary at all. 1080p, 5 inch, water resistant.... what else can be improved to make people change their smartphone in 10 months from now?

Groof

what is in the horizon for next year flagships? snapdragon 805 but is it really worth? 2k screens do not seem necessary at all. 1080p, 5 inch, water resistant.... what else can be improved to make people change their smartphone in 10 months from now?

Battery life and cameras.

I guess 2560x1440 screens are the next big change. Otherwise it's larger camera sensors and bigger batteries.

Sony are working in a 1/2" sized sensor and maintaining it at 20mp. Samsung are working on their own BSI sensor tech for 2014 phones after being denied the 20mp sensor that resides in the Z1 back in early 2013. Otherwise we're reaching the end of technological innovation in Android. Design and software are going to be the next sales drivers which gives Apple the initiative.

Jigolo

So I finally turned off my tablet. I've always mainly used my Nexus 10 for browsing, Youtube, Reddit, and Gmail. The switch to Dolphin was fantastic.

Again this is a bone stock Nexus 10 with 4.2.2.

These images are huge so be warned.

37zr7Tu.png

3 days 22 hrs since I took it off the charger. Brightness @ ~25%

Here's my screen on time at 5% battery. I let it go until around 3% before turning it off and it ended up at 7hrs 30 min, and a few seconds.

I'm the kind of person who turns off the Wifi when I'm going to leave my tablet for a few hours. If I'm going to pick it up again in 10 min I don't even bother.

For comparisons sake I did the exact same thing but instead of Dolphin I'd use Chrome and I would get around 5:45 - 6 hrs of screen on time. Such a small thing can make a huge difference. 1 app. 1 fucking app. Google really needs to get it's shit together with Chrome.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You're tempting me to use Dolphin. My Nexus 10's battery life does need a major boost.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Graphics wise it is another mega jump in power. The 800 is a big jump from the 600 and the 805 is another big jump past that. Slowly creaping towards real console quality graphics with the new chips.

That isn't even counting if nvidia can get it's shit together and do what they've promised. Could be a game changer.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Would you write up a review of the Nexus 10 on kitkat? Is Bluetooth (keyboard and mouse) still buggy?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to write a review. But I can answer questions to the best of my ability. I will say that my constant reboots have substantially decreased. They still exist, however. But it's gone from several times a day to once every couple of days. Bearable now. I was THIS close to getting rid of it.

What did you find buggy with BT? My BT keyboard worked fine on JB. I haven't tried it on KK, though. Never used a mouse.

SuperSah

Banned
I really wish Samsung would include a camera tutorial.

Having never actually used a camera properly and smartly, it took me ages to work it and realise that it was taking native 9.6mp shots. Cranked it up to 13mp and they look great.

Also, I tried out "Smooth Motion" which is basically 1080p/60fps video and FUCK it blew me away. Holy shit wow, lol.

1080p crispness in 60fps? megaton for me.

Yeah, I'm not much of a photographer.

reKon

Banned
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/01/0...-move-desperate-brags-about-using-their-cash/

This is a desperate move by AT&T on the heels of what must have been a terrible Q4 and holiday for them. I’m flattered that we have made them so uncomfortable! We used AT&T’s cash to build a far superior network and added Un-carrier moves to take tons of their customers – and now they want to bribe them back! Consumers won’t be fooled…nothing has changed; customers will still feel the same old pain that AT&T is famous for. Just wait until CES to hear what pain points we are eliminating next. The competition is going to be toast!

-John Legere, CEO of T-Mobile USA

Dude is going fucking hard in the paint with the trolling. Your move AT&T. T-Mobile still needs to vastly improve their coverage. WiFi calling/texting is nice, but you can get that on all devices and is only a partial supplement to connectivity.

DagsJT

I really wish Samsung would include a camera tutorial.

Having never actually used a camera properly and smartly, it took me ages to work it and realise that it was taking native 9.6mp shots. Cranked it up to 13mp and they look great.

Also, I tried out "Smooth Motion" which is basically 1080p/60fps video and FUCK it blew me away. Holy shit wow, lol.

1080p crispness in 60fps? megaton for me.

Yeah, I'm not much of a photographer.

Huh, just realised my GS4 was set to 6Mp rather than 13Mp.

vivftp

I guess 2560x1440 screens are the next big change. Otherwise it's larger camera sensors and bigger batteries.

Sony are working in a 1/2" sized sensor and maintaining it at 20mp. Samsung are working on their own BSI sensor tech for 2014 phones after being denied the 20mp sensor that resides in the Z1 back in early 2013. Otherwise we're reaching the end of technological innovation in Android. Design and software are going to be the next sales drivers which gives Apple the initiative.

Interesting info on the larger sensor from Sony, thanks. Do you think there's any chance we may finally see a xenon flash in a new Sony phone?

I skipped the Z1 and went with the Z Ultra because of the Z1's viewing angles and because the camera wasn't quite as good as I wanted it to be. I plan to upgrade from the Z Ultra to either the new flagship or the new Ultra sometime in the summer though.

Also, very hopeful that if they do make another Ultra, it'll have the same camera as the flagship. I admit I currently don't take too many photos with my phone, but it sucks to be so limited with such an expensive device. Still, I knew what I was getting into before I bought it.

kehs

Banned
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/01/0...-move-desperate-brags-about-using-their-cash/

This is a desperate move by AT&T on the heels of what must have been a terrible Q4 and holiday for them. I’m flattered that we have made them so uncomfortable! We used AT&T’s cash to build a far superior network and added Un-carrier moves to take tons of their customers – and now they want to bribe them back! Consumers won’t be fooled…nothing has changed; customers will still feel the same old pain that AT&T is famous for. Just wait until CES to hear what pain points we are eliminating next. The competition is going to be toast!

Dude is going fucking hard in the paint with the trolling. Your move AT&T. T-Mobile still needs to vastly improve their coverage. WiFi calling/texting is nice, but you can get that on all devices and is only a partial supplement to connectivity.

RhbEyCY.jpg

So, I got a Galaxy 10 2014 last Monday. I've been using an iPad Mini for year, so it took some time t o adjust, but I like it so far. I really wanted to get away from the hidden and closed file system iTunes crap of Apple and I got a Samsung TV a few months ago, so a Galaxy 10 was the way to go in my opinion.

For a browser I'm using Dolphin. I checked out Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Skyfire and they all seemed weirdly designed. Probably designed to not take too much space on smaller phone screens with their hidden bookmarks and disappearing address bars. Dolphin's bookmarks are just easier to get to and the address bar stays where it's supposed to.

For browsing my Windows 7 PC shares, I'm using Solid Browser. I tried ES browser and Solid's UI was just much simpler and easier to use. I never had to input any IP address or run a program on my PC or anything. Solid browser just did a scan saw my shared folders and it was good to go.

For podcasts, I'm using Pocket Casts. I tried a bunch of others and this one was the cheapest and it was recommended a lot. I turns out that it's one of the easiest to use and has the best UI.

Screen mirroring with my Samsung TV is cool, even though there is about 3 seconds of lag. I can screen mirror while playing a podcast and get the sound out of my TV and stuff like that, but it's not going to work for games. I can also do some Chromecast type stuff with Youtube, but I can do that with my 3DS if I want. I'm still trying to figure out the Nearby Devices stuff. Programs like Samsung Music and Video can see my computer, but I can't actually get to my shares. I can get to my stuff on my TV just fine. I'm also not sure what the difference between Nearby Devices and WiFi Direct is and what each one is specifically for either. If anyone here can explain it to me, I'd appreciate it.

I haven't tried many games. I'm not really into tablet gaming, but I bought Riptide GP 2 with the credit I got from registering my Galaxy and it seems alright. They gave me $25 for Google Play and $50 for Samsung Hub.

Oh, and I love reading comics on this thing. Beats the hell out of reading comics on iPad mini. I love this screen.

The stylus is also really cool. It's just so accurate. I tried the painting program and it was pretty cool. I'm going to have to mess around with that.

SuperSah

Banned
I can also do some Chromecast type stuff with Youtube, but I can do that with my 3DS if I want.

How with 3DS?

Tried out Dolphin Browser today. Brilliant. The add-ons are awesome and it uses a little battery compared to Chrome.

I cannot stop recording 1080p/60fps videos. Crazy smooth and fun.

So I finally turned off my tablet. I've always mainly used my Nexus 10 for browsing, Youtube, Reddit, and Gmail. The switch to Dolphin was fantastic.

Again this is a bone stock Nexus 10 with 4.2.2.

These images are huge so be warned.

3 days 22 hrs since I took it off the charger. Brightness @ ~25%

Here's my screen on time at 5% battery. I let it go until around 3% before turning it off and it ended up at 7hrs 30 min, and a few seconds.

I'm the kind of person who turns off the Wifi when I'm going to leave my tablet for a few hours. If I'm going to pick it up again in 10 min I don't even bother.

For comparisons sake I did the exact same thing but instead of Dolphin I'd use Chrome and I would get around 5:45 - 6 hrs of screen on time. Such a small thing can make a huge difference. 1 app. 1 fucking app. Google really needs to get it's shit together with Chrome.

Are you using standard dolphin or jetpack? Chrome is sucking my battery like crazy.

-edit- nevermind. Just found out jetpack comes prebuilt in on kit kat.

vdlow

Google acquiring Bitspin is pretty much a "talent acquisition". No way that Timely will ever become android standard clock app. But devs with their talent to make a beautiful app that respects every Android UX standard... well, that's not easy to find.

Well Verizon's network is objectively superior to AT&T's and no bad and dumb TV commercials can change that reality. So why pay the same for AT&T as Verizon, if you're going to cough up the cash for one of the Big 2 Duopolists you should go with the one that has 4G LTE over 99% of their 3G network footprint, which happens to be 99% of the American population.

If you don't want to pay what Verizon charges, you wouldn't choose AT&T either. So then you'd end up on T-Mobile or Softbank USA.

AT&T has the worst of all worlds, they have the highest pricing and the second best network and possibly the worst in urban areas because of over-provisioning. If you need rural coverage, Verizon blows them away. If you only stay in urban areas, T-Mobile and Softbank USA are way cheaper. It's lose-lose no matter how you slice it, which is why AT&T is bleeding customers but Verizon, T-Mobile, and Softbank USA are all growing.

Husker86

Well Verizon's network is objectively superior to AT&T's and no bad and dumb TV commercials can change that reality. So why pay the same for AT&T as Verizon, if you're going to cough up the cash for one of the Big 2 Duopolists you should go with the one that has 4G LTE over 99% of their 3G network footprint, which happens to be 99% of the American population.

If you don't want to pay what Verizon charges, you wouldn't choose AT&T either. So then you'd end up on T-Mobile or Softbank USA.

AT&T has the worst of all worlds, they have the highest pricing and the second best network and possibly the worst in urban areas because of over-provisioning. If you need rural coverage, Verizon blows them away. If you only stay in urban areas, T-Mobile and Softbank USA are way cheaper. It's lose-lose no matter how you slice it, which is why AT&T is bleeding customers but Verizon, T-Mobile, and Softbank USA are all growing.

Nexus 5 and $15 off per month since no contract? Cheaper than VZW. Verizon has the best coverage, but AT&T has really impressed me, even in no population areas when I was driving through SD.

Vzw doesn't allow unlocked phones... Every phone on googles playstore works on ATTs network. Zero of them on VZWs

indeed, ever since they lost their last exclusive phone, going with AT&T is like throwing either money or coverage away.

Vzw doesn't allow unlocked phones... Every phone on googles playstore works on ATTs network. Zero of them on VZWs

unlocked phones on AT&T just means you pay full price for a phone and still pay that subsidy-included price on top.

indeed, ever since they lost their last exclusive phone, going with AT&T is like throwing either money or coverage away.

unlocked phones on AT&T just means you pay full price for a phone and still pay that subsidy-included price on top.

Wrong. ATT prepaid is discounted to 60 per month for 2 GB data and unlimited talk and text.

Edit: I paid full price for a nexus 4 (200) and full price for a nexus 5 (350). You think signing a contract with vzw is better a better value? Lol

Wrong. ATT prepaid is discounted to 60 per month for 2 GB data and unlimited talk and text.

Edit: I paid full price for a nexus 4 (200) and full price for a nexus 5 (350). You think signing a contract with vzw is better a better value? Lol
well, we were talking contract but if you want to talk prepaid then Straight Talk is $45 and they have AT&T SIM cards and you paid clearance price for a Nexus 4.

well, we were talking contract but if you want to talk prepaid then Straight Talk is $45 and they have AT&T SIM cards and you paid clearance price for a Nexus 4.

I know I have straight talk using att. The throttled speeds and terrible customer service don't even compare to going directly to ATT.

Clearance or not its still retail. No different than when carrier retails phones drop.

thespot84

none if the mvnos offer full LTE speeds for an entire billing period on any network, that's how they make money. Att prepaid is full LTE at $60 for 2gb and $10 a GB beyond that. For the same price as tmo with superior coverage you get 3 GB, which is usually enough. (instead of unlimited)

when tmobile doesn't work (I mean can't see a tower) in your office or an hour out of town at the ski resorts the choice is pretty simple. I was paying 125/mo for vzw unlimited on a locked phone. It was fucking absurd.

The fact is everyone's situations are somewhat unique, and the good news is that this competition is making it easier to find the plan that works.

How with 3DS?

You can sync up the YouTube app on 3DS to another YouTube app. I have mine synced up to my TV's YouTube app and my Wii U's YouTube app. You can do this in the app's settings. I think it's just on YouTube apps. I haven't seen the option on my PC. You can do this from Chrome or on the YouTube app.

deroli

Help Android-GAF!

I got a SD card for my Xperia SP, activated the drag and drop mode for USB and started transferring my music to the sd card. On my Mac it looks like everything worked well, Finder shows all the folders that are supposed to be there, I can play all the mp3s etc:

BUT! My android devices only recognizes a couple of the folders I added. Of course, also the respective albums don't show up in the music app. This is what a file explorer shows on the device:

I can't do anything with the ?-Items, their size is 0kb.

Any idea what could cause this error? I played a bit with the file permissions on the mac, retransferred them on the phone. restarted it, but nothing works :( I also don't see anything special with the folders that don't show up.

Bboy AJ

Strange. Reformat the entire SD card and transfer things over, maybe? If that doesn't work, sounds like a problem with the source MP3s.

And yeesh, what an ugly file manager. Pick up Solid Exporer and save your eyes from burning.

deroli

I've played around a bit more and found out that it works if I use Sony's "Bridge for Mac" software to copy the files. So I deleted all the faulty folders and synchronize these albums again.
Still, if somebody knows the solution to my drag and drop problem, feel free to post it - because the Sony software is no pleasure to use.
Oh, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) The file explorer gets its job done, so I'll keep using it.

In our latest episode of, "just how fucked are HTC" we look at their quarterly results.

Revenue of $1.57bn for the quarter down from $2.34bn YoY, or 33%.

Operating loss of $117m, down from $163m profit for the same period last year.

Gross margin down from 25% to 20.4%, operating margin down from 7% to -7.4%

Gross profit down by 45%, expenses up by 4%, R&D expenditure down by 27%, administration expenses up by 93%.

Shit loads of unsold inventory compared to the same period last year, which means they will lose more money in the next quarter from pricing action.

The outlook is just as bad for Q1, meaning no product launches at CES. The M8 will be out after April or they expect it to sell like shit.

All in all, they are dead. I expect a buyout offers to be made soon, and the strategy is there because they are offloading non-core assets like their stake in Beats and the entirety of Saffron Digital to make them a more attractive prospect for the likes of Lenovo.

The press release is just sad as well. It's like reading something some HTC fanboy on GSM Arena would write. We made a loss but look at all these pointless design awards we won and look, RDJ in an advert with a car and some weird music, how awesome!

Edit: Also, what the fuck is with releasing this on a fucking Sunday HTC. Fucking bunch of chumps. It's like they think no one will notice their failures if they release the information on a weird day. They did it last time as well, to try and hide their failings.

Also December revenues, in NT$ Bn:

2010: 33,087
2011: 26,363
2012: 21,569
2013: 12,433

Massive collapse.

Groof

In our latest episode of, "just how fucked are HTC" we look at their quarterly results.

Revenue of $1.57bn for the quarter down from $2.34bn YoY, or 33%.

Operating loss of $117m, down from $163m profit for the same period last year.

Gross margin down from 25% to 20.4%, operating margin down from 7% to -7.4%

Gross profit down by 45%, expenses up by 4%, R&D expenditure down by 27%, administration expenses up by 93%.

Shit loads of unsold inventory compared to the same period last year, which means they will lose more money in the next quarter from pricing action.

The outlook is just as bad for Q1, meaning no product launches at CES. The M8 will be out after April or they expect it to sell like shit.

All in all, they are dead. I expect a buyout offers to be made soon, and the strategy is there because they are offloading non-core assets like their stake in Beats and the entirety of Saffron Digital to make them a more attractive prospect for the likes of Lenovo.

The press release is just sad as well. It's like reading something some HTC fanboy on GSM Arena would write. We made a loss but look at all these pointless design awards we won and look, RDJ in an advert with a car and some weird music, how awesome!

Edit: Also, what the fuck is with releasing this on a fucking Sunday HTC. Fucking bunch of chumps. It's like they think no one will notice their failures if they release the information on a weird day. They did it last time as well, to try and hide their failings.

Also December revenues, in NT$ Bn:

2010: 33,087
2011: 26,363
2012: 21,569
2013: 12,433

Massive collapse.

Reading all these posts is both very enlightening as well as very, very depressing. I just feel so bad for them, even though I know I shouldn't.

who is serious about stepping into (or up) the phone market that they would want HTC? Do they hold anything of value?

Lenovo should be seen as the prime mover. They don't have a big name in phones outside of China and HTC are still a big brand in Europe and the US. They will do what they did with ThinkPad. Slowly phase in their own name and branding over a few years until people are used to the Lenovo name.

They hold a few patents, but their brand is probably the most important asset they have.

The other player could be Sony because they would then be able to leverage HTC's already arranged carrier deals within the US. Though I think it would be too expensive for them and getting deals done with AT&T and Softbank USA shouldn't be very difficult with HTC circling the drain.

I don't understand why they just didn't implement that mode into their browser

Same with night mode? Why isn't night mode in the browser with changeable brightness settings. I'd use night mode pretty much all day if I could increase the brightness slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom