• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

I've theorized elsewhere that the Moto X will be Google's "Nexus for Verizon." Not totally 100% stock (so closer to the Google Play version One/S4.) Not being on Verizon is killing their "stock marketshare" compared to skinned versions.

Yeah. The current structure completely ignores a market of 80 million+ people, of whom at least 5-10 million would be willing to invest in a stock android phone

Groof

Not just the devices too. A lot of Android services are gimped as hell in Canada. Google Now isn't as useful as it is in the US and Music is non-existent.
In many parts of the world (read: majority) the only thing Google there is access to is the app play store. It's mind boggling how long it's taking them to even release basic features across the globe.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So 4.2.2 is being pushed in Europe now for the HTC One. This bodes well that HTC seems to be pushing updates fast for their flagship globally.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/05/m...da-as-a-rogers-exclusive-available-in-august/

Rogers will have exclusivty for the Moto X in Canada and it looks like it's launching in August. So expect the official announcement soon I guess. Also LTE confirmed clearly.

Also I'm assuming this means carrier exclusivity and canadians will still be able to order online? Because who the fuck would sign a contract for this phone lol. Also lol at mobile syrups outdated rumoured specs, though imagine it did end up being like that.

A new source forwarded me some Moto X rumours, basically a rehashing of what we already know.

720p crap screen
8MP crap camera
Dual core 1.7GHz S4 LTE
"customisable"
2GB RAM
$299, free on GSM carriers with a two year commitment
non-US availability is not confirmed

The source said that the project is a complete mess and there has been too much interference from Google who want to drive software with cheap hardware, but Moto don't want to become a commodity player.

$299?

for $100 more you can cop a GS3 on prepaid.

Groof

6-7 months from now Motorola will be shuttered by Google.

fake edit: congrats on becoming a member PriitV!

Question: I can't seem to be able to mark and save my current location in Google Maps. I would have thought that would be a basic feature.

I just want to be able to quickly save the GPS coordinates of wherever I am, and to be able to navigate to it at a later time.

Do I need a separate app for that?

Open up Google Navigation, select Go Home, and it'll have you enter your home address. If you're talking about flagging other address you just stumble upon, can't you just open up Maps, select the location you're at, and Star it? That way, it'll always show up on your map.

zedge

exactly. It bugs me because google has ambitions of being a big player but they never step up to the plate in ways that apple does internationally and whatnot.

hmm overpriced. 263.47 MAX.
It boggles my mind that we still don't have Google music. I can get iTunes, Xbox music, and a dozen others. Come the fuck on Google.

jokkir

It boggles my mind that we still don't have Google music. I can get iTunes, Xbox music, and a dozen others. Come the fuck on Google.

What bothers me is Google Wallet. I used my free $10 and I can't even reload it now. Come on, Google!

Open up Google Navigation, select Go Home, and it'll have you enter your home address. If you're talking about flagging other address you just stumble upon, can't you just open up Maps, select the location you're at, and Star it? That way, it'll always show up on your map.

Yeah I just learned about Starring locations, that should do it I think. But I think it's not obvious or intuitive for new users to figure out that you need to tap and hold on the map to get the pop-up, then realize that colorless star in the corner bookmarks it. I was pressing the menu button and searching through the app and didn't stumble upon that until I read about it.

Federal Communications Commission Approves SoftBank’s Investment in Sprint and Sprint’s Acquisition of Clearwire

OVERLAND PARK, Kan., BELLEVUE, Wash. & TOKYO (BUSINESS WIRE), July 05, 2013 - The Federal Communications Commission announced today that it has voted unanimously to approve the applications filed by SoftBank (TSE: 9984), Sprint (NYSE: S) and Clearwire (NASDAQ: CLWR) related to their transactions announced last year.

This decision completes all Federal government reviews of both SoftBank’s investment in Sprint and Sprint’s acquisition of Clearwire. Sprint’s shareholders approved the SoftBank transaction with Sprint on June 25th. Clearwire’s shareholders are scheduled to vote on the Sprint transaction with Clearwire, which has been recommended by Clearwire’s Board of Directors, on July 8th.
http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-rel...nts-acquisition-of-clearwire.htm?view_id=7008

okay, so Softbank approved, Clearwire approved, iDEN shut down... Sprint, how will you fuck this up?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It would be nice to have a viable 3rd option in the US that has coast to coast coverage like AT&T and Verizon. Maybe Softbank can turn Sprint into that.

We shall see though.

eh it isn't as bad as when the first batch of Verizon phones with LTE hit, but LTE still drains the battery more than most things.

It actually doesn't. The basic concept is that while current LTE devices need to operate two radios at once, for voice and for data, the so called "race to idle" where the device can finish a data transfer and return to a low power idle state, is easily won by LTE over 3G. The result is that the LTE device will win a battery life challenge against a 3G device in almost all use cases where data transfer is not continuous.

The modern cell radio also tends to sip power while at idle, so idle battery life is essentially a wash between 3G only and 3G +LTE. In fact, what sucks down the power is always the screen, without exception. Both the radio and SoC use a fraction of the total power budget compared to the screen.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertho...o-x-phone-yet/

Who cares about the moto, it better be the new N7.
I can't take that article seriously when they have basic facts wrong. Woodside didn't say the Moto X won't come out till October. That was the original statement but it was then changed to this summer.

Also it would be kind of BEYOND ridiculous to have a motorola event and not talk about the moto x given the advertisement they've been spreading. It might not be the official unveiling but they should talk about it. Who knows though.

SaskBoy

Anyone here use an Android Tablet for school purposes? ie. Taking notes and stuff.

I'm thinking of getting a Xperia Z Tablet. What are the must have apps?

SaskBoy

Wouldn't the Note 8 or 10 be a better pick?

I'm not a huge fan of Samsung products, so I haven't really looked into those. I suppose they could be better for note taking? I'm not going to exclusively use it for school though, so I want to get a tablet with good hardware first and then get good apps for school stuff.

The Xperia Z just caught my eye, but I am open to other suggestions. Another question could be whether to get a 7 in or 10 in tablet.

The drawback of being a futuristic motherfucker is the amount of data I am now consuming using All Access. I've had it for a few weeks now and I've already used about 3 GB just from streaming music. I guess it's a good thing my Verizon 4G LTE is unlimited.

Couldn't I just buy a stylus? Just looking on Best Buy's website they have quite a few for $10 or under.

Galaxy Note products have an entire software suite built for the stylus function that you can't replicate on any other device.

Groof

Anyone here use an Android Tablet for school purposes? ie. Taking notes and stuff.

I'm thinking of getting a Xperia Z Tablet. What are the must have apps?

I'd wager if you'd want a proper note taking tablet a Note 8 would be preferable. Personally I tried using my Nexus 7 for school stuff, but without a proper keyboard it was kind of redundant so I only used it for looking at powerpoints and stuff.
I would also recommend getting something of a smaller form factor if you're gonna haul it to school every day. Not as space consuming so they're easier to travel with and they're lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom