• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

Hey Android-GAF. Currently have a 4S and I'm looking to convert over to the Android family. I just don't know which one. I'm hearing a lot recommendations for the S4 and HTC One.. Pros and cons of both?

hardware for both is pretty damn similar, so it probably will come down to who's Android skin you prefer... just play around with both at the store.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'll be sure to check them out today. Which do you personally prefer?

Android GAF is probably fairly split between these two phones. Hardware quality is with the One. Removable battery, sd card for the SIV. Bottom line, you can't go wrong either way.

HiiiLife

Android GAF is probably fairly split between these two phones. Hardware quality is with the One. Removable battery, sd card for the SIV. Bottom line, you can't go wrong either way.

Sweet. So where would the Note 2 and a Motorola Droid sit in all this? Are they "second place" compared to the S4 and HTC One? Sounds foolish of me, but I would personally like to have the "best" android phone. Lol.

S4 is the superior choice. Removable battery and sd card slot are great, plus I've owned Htc phones in the past and their hardware is not reliable in the long run. The only thing the htc has that I wish the gs4 had is the front facing speakers.

Sweet. So where would the Note 2 and a Motorola Droid sit in all this? Are they "second place" compared to the S4 and HTC One? Sounds foolish of me, but I would personally like to have the "best" android phone. Lol.
second place? Droid is in shit place.

I say One is the superior choice. Fuck that plastic shit. Also low light imaging is a lot better. Hardware quality is in a different ball game. I find it to be snappier as do many others. Sound quality is better too. Also comes with 32gb by default to make up for the lack of sd card, compared to the S4s 16gb.

But S4 does have a slightly bigger screen at a slightly smaller size, and an sd card slot. That I like. Either way they're both great phones, just get hands on with both and try one.

HiiiLife

second place? they're in shit place.

I say One is the superior choice. Fuck that plastic shit. Also low light imaging is a lot better.

But S4 does have a slightly bigger screen at a slightly smaller size. That I like. Either way they're both great phones, just get hands on with both and try one.

Dead.

S4 is the superior choice. Removable battery and sd card slot are great, plus I've owned Htc phones in the past and their hardware is not reliable in the long run. The only thing the htc has that I wish the gs4 had is the front facing speakers.

Cool. Appreciate the feedback, GAF.

You guys see the new moto x pics of the casing: http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/moto-x-motorola-x-phone-leak-bonanza-37330/

It looks solid though why the hell would the white one have no logo butnthenblack one will. That would be some bullshit. Lack of bezel is nice. Bodes well for the size of the phone. Nothing really new though. Battery size or bust.

edit: ah looking at the black one it looks more like a prototype thing considering the numbers on the right top corner.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

If you want a big screen, get the Note 2. Just ignore the Droid. Three more months or so and you'll get a crop of new "best" phones with the Note 3 and the Nexus 5.

If price is a concern, get the Nexus 4. Fantastic phone for an incredibly cheap price. Best value by far. It's not the "best" phone, though.

Groof

You guys see the new moto x pics of the casing: http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/moto-x-motorola-x-phone-leak-bonanza-37330/

It looks solid though why the hell would the white one have no logo butnthenblack one will. That would be some bullshit. Lack of bezel is nice. Bodes well for the size of the phone. Nothing really new though. Battery size or bust.

edit: ah looking at the black one it looks more like a prototype thing considering the numbers on the right top corner.

Is that a soft touch back? The tiny bezel looks quite good.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I'll be sure to check them out today. Which do you personally prefer?

I've been using the S4 since Wednesday now, and I got to say, I'm in love with the phone. It's my first Android device, but the only issues I've had with it are tiny, on the Android-side and have a workaround via apps. Can't go wrong with it.

On the other hand, 6 of my friends in my university have older HTC Android phones, which all have gone pretty bonkers over time. Continuous crashes and reboots. Don't know if it's the phone, the brand or the OS, but I personally avoid HTC now.

I've been using the S4 since Wednesday now, and I got to say, I'm in love with the phone. It's my first Android device, but the only issues I've had with it are tiny, on the Android-side and have a workaround via apps. Can't go wrong with it.

On the other hand, 6 of my friends in my university have older HTC Android phones, which all have gone pretty bonkers over time. Continuous crashes and reboots. Don't know if it's the phone, the brand or the OS, but I personally avoid HTC now.

It's HTC. Their phones have shit reliability. I went through multiple htc phones throughout the years. They barely lasted a fucking year before turning to shit every single time. Some within a few months. Trusting a high end phone from them with a battery that can't be replaced is asking for trouble.

The long history of HTC phones falling apart after the first few "honeymoon" months does not in any way suggest that HTC has better hardware quality.

If by a flop you mean the better phone with better software then yeah!

Yeah, "bettter phone" with only 2 hardware buttons so working around it is a shitstorm and every button has a short press, a long press, and now a swipe up from bezel just because HTC design is retarded and can't decide whether to have a full complement of buttons or none. Either just have 3 hardware buttons like everyone else, or give it up and have none. Your stupid solution of 2 buttons is one of the dumbest things I've seen in phone buttons this year. Oh, and nice job with the power button on top where not even LeBron James could reach it with one hand.

Well, maybe the King could do it.

Toki767

Cool...CyanogenMod announced Google Voice SMS integration for the stock Messaging app and virtually any other messaging app.

Note 2 is in its own universe of awesome .. at least for now .. supposedly there will be some actual competition in that space, but for now, there's just the Galaxy Note II and the Galaxy Note. try it and see if you like it.

Note 2 is in its own universe of awesome .. at least for now .. supposedly there will be some actual competition in that space, but for now, there's just the Galaxy Note II and the Galaxy Note. try it and see if you like it.

I'm interested in seeing what the Xperia Z Ultra can bring to the table, but they'll need to at least try to match the software suite or it will just be another big phone.

As it stands now, since I know the S3 and Note II are getting the majority of software-supportable features in the S4 (and presumably Note 3), I'm honestly not that motivated to upgrade from my Note II. I still can't think of something I would want out of my Note 3 besides a bigger number for my 3DMark score and that's really not worth spending another $700 for.

Groof

I'm interested in seeing what the Xperia Z Ultra can bring to the table, but they'll need to at least try to match the software suite or it will just be another big phone.

As it stands now, since I know the S3 and Note II are getting the majority of software-supportable features in the S4 (and presumably Note 3), I'm honestly not that motivated to upgrade from my Note II. I still can't think of something I would want out of my Note 3 besides a bigger number for my 3DMark score and that's really not worth spending another $700 for.

I can't see them doing much else from Note2>3 other than the expected spec boost. It'll probably be something akin to S3>S4, as in it's a decent hardware upgrade but not quite enough to make a switch unless you're on the Note 1/S2.

i want to replace my IR remotes.

zedge

The long history of HTC phones falling apart after the first few "honeymoon" months does not in any way suggest that HTC has better hardware quality.

Yeah, "bettter phone" with only 2 hardware buttons so working around it is a shitstorm and every button has a short press, a long press, and now a swipe up from bezel just because HTC design is retarded and can't decide whether to have a full complement of buttons or none. Either just have 3 hardware buttons like everyone else, or give it up and have none. Your stupid solution of 2 buttons is one of the dumbest things I've seen in phone buttons this year. Oh, and nice job with the power button on top where not even LeBron James could reach it with one hand.

Don't forget the absolutely stupid position of the power button. That alone prevents me from ever considering a One. So stupid.

yogloo

i want to replace my IR remotes.

Assuming the IR remote is similar to note 8.0, don't hope too much. From my experience it is pretty hit and miss. It works well with my Samsung TV, does not work with my samsung set top box and works but like crap with my denon receiver.
But you might be luckier than me.

What does the world of streaming music to speakers look like for Android?

Ideally I would want:

Something that can send my audio from any app (PocketCasts or a music streaming app) to my home speakers wirelessly, while also working with my girlfriends Windows Phone 8 phone and our iPads.

Sonos seems pretty useless if you're not in iOS land, would something like Libratone (http://www.libratone.com/learn/wireless-sound/) be the only viable solution (leaving behind my current speakers).

Also wasn't there talk about Google working on some sort of open-source alternative to AirPlay two years ago or so?

Just get a Logitech Harmony remote, they are a million times better than using phones anyways.
they don't offer the same features at all though. Apps are actually software with an interface. I like the HTC TV app a lot, it's very clean, just shows little pictures of the shows and movies that are currently playing/coming up on tv and hit one and takes you to the channel it's on. Can't do that on a normal remote.

markot

Banned
I love firefox and use it on my pc all the time.

Buit I cant standddddddddd it on mobile or tablets. The ui is just ugh, and its a little less polished.

Groof

Everyone should be using the Chrome beta anyway. Works a lot better and gets updated more often.

gcubed

this is like asking the samsung ceo what he'd choose.

Impulse bought a Tablet Z in the airport. It's fucking sick guys. Easily the best Android tablet available right now. Everything about it screams premium.

Why the fuck has it taken this long for an Android tablet maker to do this, and why the fuck aren't Sony advertising this. Honestly it could easily be their break out product, everyone on the plane that I was travelling with from my office wanted to try it out and were very, very impressed. The screen is absolutely fucking amazing btw, not sure about that yellow tint crap from The Verge, it is whiter than white.

Overall, v. impressed. Now it's up to Google to get the developers on board with native tablet apps.

I also had a hands on with the Z Ultra today, I think if Sony advertise this right and make a wifi only version with a lesser spec and make it a mini-tablet they could have a huge hit on their hands. I could easily see this selling for $399 if they market it right for a wifi version. Great product, I'm definitely considering getting an Ultra now where I wasn't before I had a longer hands on. I also berated a couple of executives on releasing flagship phones with shitty hardware and why it meant they sent the Z and ZL out to die. They also said they are going to step up the marketing for Q4 with a new better focussed campaign, hopefully they make the Ultra and Tablet Z front and centre. Easily the best Sony products available right now across their whole line up in electronics with the RX1/100 cameras. Everything else Sony makes ranges from shit to compromised with some shit decision to lock a certain feature out or cheap out on some component. The Tablet Z and Z Ultra are zero compromise devices that are awesome.

/unknownsoldier shits on HTC
/zomgbbq loves Sony

Clearly you weren't reading properly:

"Easily the best Sony products available right now across their whole line up in electronics with the RX1/100 cameras. Everything else Sony makes ranges from shit to compromised with some shit decision to lock a certain feature out or cheap out on some component."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom