• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Couldn't I just buy a stylus? Just looking on Best Buy's website they have quite a few for $10 or under.

You could, but it would be a totally different and completely inferior hardware implementation.

The Note tabs have a wacom digitizer built in I believe, so their fine point stylus can detect various pen strokes and pressure sensitivity. All that while still allowing you to rest your palm on the display while using it without causing any interruption (your palm won't create it's own pen strokes where it rests).

This doesn't even take into consideration the incredible bundled software that's integrated well.into the OS (Un-sheath the pen causes a blank page to instantly appear for instance).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It actually doesn't. The basic concept is that while current LTE devices need to operate two radios at once, for voice and for data, the so called "race to idle" where the device can finish a data transfer and return to a low power idle state, is easily won by LTE over 3G. The result is that the LTE device will win a battery life challenge against a 3G device in almost all use cases where data transfer is not continuous.

The modern cell radio also tends to sip power while at idle, so idle battery life is essentially a wash between 3G only and 3G +LTE. In fact, what sucks down the power is always the screen, without exception. Both the radio and SoC use a fraction of the total power budget compared to the screen.

If your in a finicky area though where your device is constantly switching between 3g and lte that can be a battery suck though.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of lte verses WiFi. That's really no different from 3g verses WiFi though.

kehs

Banned
I used it briefly when it came out, but since it dint do recurring events I stopped. Have they added them in?

SaskBoy

You could, but it would be a totally different and completely inferior hardware implementation.

The Note tabs have a wacom digitizer built in I believe, so their fine point stylus can detect various pen strokes and pressure sensitivity. All that while still allowing you to rest your palm on the display while using it without causing any interruption (your palm won't create it's own pen strokes where it rests).

This doesn't even take into consideration the incredible bundled software that's integrated well.into the OS (Un-sheath the pen causes a blank page to instantly appear for instance).

Hows the screen on a Note Tablet? 1280x800 resolution sounds kind of blah, compared to the Xperia (1920x1200).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ugh wish Google/ASUS would announce the new Nexus 7 already...

I didn't figure we'd get an announcement last week since it was a Holiday week.

Problem is I don't see anything announced Google wise that is coming up soon. Call me crazy, but I think the Nexus 7 refresh is big enough that they'd want to really unveil it verses just putting out something online.

The longer this goes on the more I buy into them doing a full Nexus refresh of all 3 lines at the same time this fall. :(

Man that's a long wait, and then they will have presumably updated iPad stuff as competition too.

thespot84

on the complicated end of the spectrum is Asana (asana.com) which has a decent mobile app to itself, and can integrate with google calendar. I use this for all my project management, and keep for the remember the milk type stuff

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You_Don't_Say.jpg

Groof

I find Google Calendar + Google Now reminders to be a good enough combo. Never got the 3rd party app stuff at all.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Is SwiftKey really worth the money? Is it really that much better than the stock keyboard in Jelly Bean?

Is SwiftKey really worth the money? Is it really that much better than the stock keyboard in Jelly Bean?
it has a lot more features. I'll say this as someone who is a fan of the stock keyboard and swiftkey: Yes it is worth the money. There you go. The only complaint there is to have with it is an ever so slight lag when it first pulls up.

Groof

it has a lot more features. I'll say this as someone who is a fan of the stock keyboard and swiftkey: Yes it is worth the money. There you go. The only complaint there is to have with it is an ever so slight lag when it first pulls up.

Sometimes that lag is way longer than just "ever so slight," though.

Either way, yeah I think it's worth the money even though I don't use it anymore. But it seems to go on sale every other day so I dunno if it's worth full price. Try the free version though.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I'd actually also want to know, what do you gain from SwiftKey that isnt in the 4.2 keyboard?

Sometimes that lag is way longer than just "ever so slight," though.

Either way, yeah I think it's worth the money even though I don't use it anymore. But it seems to go on sale every other day so I dunno if it's worth full price. Try the free version though.
I've never had it be more than a split second. But I've also never used a SHITTY DEVICe.

I once used a
nexus s.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's annoying how the Google Keyboard isn't as instantaneously switchable from typing to swiping. It seems like it gets into a mode per your actions. Then it takes a little pushing to get it to switch from typing to swiping mid sentence. Not a deal breaker but annoying.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Capacitive buttons. Cheap, glossy plastic. Fake metallic earpiece. That's an ugly phone. That outer ring could be kind of cool if it were more subdued. Could be used to protect the screen. It would feel like crap for edge gestures, though. <3 N4's edges.

The Moto X at least won't look like those droid atrocities. Just put the battery from the new Droid Maxx into the moto x and boom, all the droids have been rendered useless.

Groof

Capacitive buttons. Cheap, glossy plastic. Fake metallic earpiece. That's an ugly phone. That outer ring could be kind of cool if it were more subdued. Could be used to protect the screen. It would feel like crap for edge gestures, though. <3 N4's edges.

Hell yeah. One of the best things about this phone!

HiiiLife

Hey Android-GAF. Currently have a 4S and I'm looking to convert over to the Android family. I just don't know which one. I'm hearing a lot recommendations for the S4 and HTC One.. Pros and cons of both?

Futureman

Play Store keeps crashing on my friend's GS IV.

I went and cleared the cache and did a force quit. I was able to get back in at the point, but when I started to download an app, it crashes.

any ideas? Should he just do a factory reset? He didn't want me to wipe it last night as he has many contacts that didn't seem to be backed up on Google. I think the guy at AT&T transferred all his contacts from his iPhone 4 to his GS IV. Is there a way, within Samsung's Contacts app, to back up all contacts to Google so he can get them back after a wipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom