• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have posted that exact same post a billion times in logo redesign threads. It's pretty much always a naive, absurd point.

It's actually a dramatic change for their logo, and clearly a ton of time and effort went into the process. Even minor changes to logos can be a lengthy, expensive process.

I wasn't making a point. It was a stupid joke in a stupid Google-related thread.

You really shouldn't judge people and what they do for a living based on stuff like that.

I got a Fitbit and while browsing through the help articles about mobile device sync I ran into today's reminder that Google doesn't care about, has never cared about, and will never care about your battery.

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_...lity/?l=en_US&c=Topics:Android&fs=Search&pn=1

For anyone who cares, Fitbits sync to mobile using Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy protocol to save battery. Guess who doesn't give enough of a fuck to properly implement that in stock Android? Yup. LMAO.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yo the Robin phone looks sweet. And it is a great deal. Except for February. No thanks!

Uhhhhh so I might may do this: http://slickdeals.net/f/8074428-tab...of-samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-best-buy#commentsBox

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) that runs smooth with no cracked screen, but the display looks all funky and disoriented with the color after I dropped it months ago. It's still usable though. I don't think I can sell this for more than $100 on Swappa..

Therefore, there's nothing I can do with it and I could trade it in and get $100 off the Galaxy Tab S 2.

I think I will wait on the reviews for this and will try to hop on this deal if the Galaxy Tab S 2 somehow offers better battery life than the Zenpad. I actually care about more than the 3 GB vs 4 Gb and USB C. My main concern is software updates and potential for future roms..

Performance wise, I think the Exynos 5433 will beat out the Z3580, and that's what I care about the most next to battery life and screen quality. Also, Geekbench score: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_s2_97-review-1290p3.php. Plus, the Touchwiz ROM is the same that's on Galaxy S6 according to this to that GSMArena preview. Additionally, there's multiwindow, which will be probably the most important feature for me in a tablet.

But damn, if thing would have had a 7420 and at least 5000mAH, I think people would have been much more intrigued...

So what do you guys think?

$300 Asus Zenpad S 8 or $300 Galaxy S2 Tab?
Zenpad. Samsung is bad.

Alchemy

Robin phone looks cool, but yeeesh Feb? That seems like a late release for a device with an 808 in it. Battery looks a little on the small side as well, would wait for usage impressions first.

gcubed

I got a Fitbit and while browsing through the help articles about mobile device sync I ran into today's reminder that Google doesn't care about, has never cared about, and will never care about your battery.

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_...lity/?l=en_US&c=Topics:Android&fs=Search&pn=1

For anyone who cares, Fitbits sync to mobile using Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy protocol to save battery. Guess who doesn't give enough of a fuck to properly implement that in stock Android? Yup. LMAO.

Yea, no. That's bullshit, the fucking world uses BLE on stock android and it works fine. Every other fitness tracker, every watch, any hr monitor. Take your Samsung cock gobbling somewhere else.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys

So I just switched from an iPhone 5c to a Moto X Play. I love the phone but I find it a bit too big when I use it at the gym.

Is there an Android equivalent to the iPod?

Basically is there a cheap and not too big device I could buy that would run Google Music?

reKon

Banned
Yo the Robin phone looks sweet. And it is a great deal. Except for February. No thanks!

Zenpad. Samsung is bad.

I don't do the brand hating thing so that won't be a reaso. If there aren't any reloading issues and the battery life is definitively better than Zenpad's then I don't mind taking the risk. I just need them to actually update this to Android M, which is very likely to happen. After that, who the fuck knows?

I'm still trying to decide if we should move to the recently announced Verizon Plan, or stick with our current one. With my wife's iPhone 5S and my son's 2013 Moto X both getting pretty old, I think sticking with the old plan until they both get the subsidized upgrade is the way to go.

They won't get one.

gcubed

I don't do the brand hating thing so that won't be a reaso. If there aren't any reloading issues and the battery life is definitively better than Zenpad's then I don't mind taking the risk. I just need them to actually update this to Android M, which is very likely to happen. After that, who the fuck knows?

I'd take Samsung, they will actually support their device and the skin isn't as god awful as the zenpad. Asus is trash tier when running their own devices

reKon

Banned
I'd take Samsung, they will actually support their device and the skin isn't as god awful as the zenpad. Asus is trash tier when running their own devices

I've already used the ZenPad before a lot actually, I don't mind the skin at all. It's just a bloatware that's annoying, but that can all be removed since root has been achieved.

It's mainly going to come down to battery life for me.

Hey guys

So I just switched from an iPhone 5c to a Moto X Play. I love the phone but I find it a bit too big when I use it at the gym.

Basically is there a cheap and not too big device I could buy that would run Google Music?
not really....the Android OS is made for filthy disgusting giants so even the "compact" phones are pretty fucking big compared to an ipod.

Maybe check out the Moto E. Might be your best bet. 1st gen is slightly smaller than second gen but second gen is plenty better (and has LTE).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey guys

Bluetooth headphones and put your phone nearby?
Android wear watch and download tracks to the watch (you'd still need BT headphones to listen but wouldn't need the phone nearby)

Hey guys

you can pick up a cheap prepaid phone.

JudgeN

Are there any stock lollipop roms for the Zenpad S 8.0 64GB? Tablet would be perfect if I could get rid of the Asus bloatware OS.

Megasoum

Banned
not really....the Android OS is made for filthy disgusting giants so even the "compact" phones are pretty fucking big compared to an ipod.

Maybe check out the Moto E. Might be your best bet. 1st gen is slightly smaller than second gen but second gen is plenty better (and has LTE).

Bluetooth headphones and put your phone nearby?
Android wear watch and download tracks to the watch (you'd still need BT headphones to listen but wouldn't need the phone nearby)

you can pick up a cheap prepaid phone.

Yeah, bluetooth headphones are not really an options cause I hate using expensive headset when I got sweat at the gym.

The cheap phone is not a bad idea. I guess I coupld probably even find an old used phone that would do the trick? Is there like a minimum requirement I should be looking for if all I want to do is listen to music?

Yeah, bluetooth headphones are not really an options cause I hate using expensive headset when I got sweat at the gym.

The cheap phone is not a bad idea. I guess I coupld probably even find an old used phone that would do the trick? Is there like a minimum requirement I should be looking for if all I want to do is listen to music?
You can try an old phone....maybe something like an S4 mini but I'd worry about performance/crashing. Honestly...a Moto E I think is 120 at the cheapest for the second gen and I also think it's one of the smallest android devices. And it runs relatively well.

I'd go for that. If you think 120 is too much I'd maybe look for an s4 mini if you can find it cheaper but even that is doubtful.

The Cowboy

Good god at the Google launcher now, I agree with the above tweet as the search bar looks terrible with the colour on it (but i could maybe get used to it) - but the main google now page (the one with the now cards) has the top half of the screen with an annoying animated google logo drawing itself over and over, i can't see a way to disable it.

I'm not liking this Google now update at all.

Edit.
QZb4zpg.jpg

This is what I'm on about, making the search box on this page so far down and having the logo take up so much space is a terrible design choice.

Megasoum

Banned
he wants that google music tho

which I think runs on an actual ipod so maybe get an ipod!

Hah.... I didn't even think about that... I could probably find a cheap old ipod touch.

That's the thing... I want Google Music cause that's where all my library is setup and my purchased music is but I'm never using the streaming.

I could totally just buy a cheap mp3 player but then I have to manually manage the music on it. Not the end of the world obviously but annoying.

Talon

Even more reason to use Nova Launcher.

I seriously can't use the Google Launcher because the icons are all so damn huge. Looks like a Fischer Price computer.

I mentioned that a while ago but when the fuck did the icons get so damn big lol. They're all huge now and I feel like it just happened overnight a little while ago. Not sure why Google things it's a good idea. Set a smaller standard and we good.

I don't get why HTC is releasing a phone this late in the year strategy wise. Focus on your M9 successor. Probably your last shot at Android right thur.

I'm glad Google is focusing on the real issues like app icons and the colors of their logos instead of on memory leaks and fixing always on radio bugs.

Guys look at what's happened to the search bar

https://twitter.com/dot1ne/status/638847861497573377

D:
Looks good to me. *shrugs*

Good god at the Google launcher now, I agree with the above tweet as the search bar looks terrible with the colour on it (but i could maybe get used to it) - but the main google now page (the one with the now cards) has the top half of the screen with an annoying animated google logo drawing itself over and over, i can't see a way to disable it.

I'm not liking this Google now update at all.

Edit.
QZb4zpg.jpg

This is what I'm on about, making the search box on this page so far down and having the logo take up so much space is a terrible design choice.
Oh cool. So Google doodles now animate in the Google app like they do on the desktop site instead of just being a static image. I wonder if that means they'll be interactive too, so you can play doodles with built-in games and whatnot.

The Cowboy

Even more reason to use Nova Launcher.

I seriously can't use the Google Launcher because the icons are all so damn huge. Looks like a Fischer Price computer.
Never used the Nova Launcher before, but this Google update actually made me try it - it's very nice indeed and I really do love how customisable it is, I think I may even buy prime due to how good it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom