• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm glad that you linked to Gruber's post, because I wouldn't have made the connection otherwise and would've thought you were serious.
No, I believe it myself. Google is a company of no taste. Duarte is trying his best.

No, I believe it myself. Google is a company of no taste. Duarte is trying his best.

In general, maybe. But Lollipop looks a whole lot better than the shit Ive came up for iOS. But maybe it's proving your point. When it comes to devices, I'd love to know how much input the manufacturer has for the design of the device, because none of Google's hardware looked desirable so far.

Nicktendo86

Just noticed Moto UK have also updated the info on the Moto x style display, said before it was just a tft screen but it now says ips tft. Fantastic!

Talon

Google is a company that thinks product <-> market fit is the very last thing that should be considered when developing new products. Literally, their product development process goes:

Product Management -> Engineering -> Product Marketing -> Launch

when the standard process is:

Product Marketing + Product Management -> Engineering -> Launch

Once you realize that, it absolutely makes sense how they managed to churn out bunk like Wave, Google+, Honeycomb, etc.

Note: Product Marketing /= Marketing. Product Marketing is understanding market needs, technical feasibility, and telling the story that helps the market understand which job the solution is addressing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Z5 sounds great. Mid sized for me (5.5" is a bit big and I'm not convinced 4K won't kill the battery, although I'd love to see that screen in a morpheus 2.0). The camera changes sound great, but all will come down to their processing.

reKon

Banned
It's still the year of skip for me. Next year with Android M deep with its updates and Qualcomm back, it will be good times again. Maybe they'll actually release tablets with a 820 in it and they will actually have good battery life unlike this years latest releases.

Phone wise, I'm satisfied as hell with mine, but if next year the 820 is packed in most flagships and delivers on performance, I could see myself making the jump if a lot of phones have other nice features like the finger print scanning improved cameras and improved battery life. Also with 2 GB of ram I never run into RAM issues on my phone and I don't run highend games on my phone, so this spec is nearly useless to me phone wise).

Admodieus

Really can't wait for MKBHD reviews of this Xperia line. If the 810 doesn't kill the battery this might be a contender.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

They're heavy, yes &#8212; 180 grams compared to the iPhone 6 Plus' 172 gram weight &#8212; but the design quality means they feel reassuringly solid, rather than a burden. That being said, we wonder how it would feel carrying one around in our pockets day after day after day, and this seems like it might be the biggest issue for the Z5 Premium. With its luxurious appearance and vivid screen it looks fantastic on a stand, but the shine might wear off with some day to day use.

Haven't seen the dimensions but I bet it is the same or slightly smaller than the iphone 6+, and only 8g heavier is hardly 'heavy'?

edit: yep - shorter and narrower than 6+, and a tiny bit thicker

knipselj7lkq.png

Global release date is October for the normal and compact model and November for the Premium model.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
810? DOA

Fucking hilarious that a year ago they said 2K displays were useless cuz of battery on the Z3 and now look at this shit lol.

a year ago they were pushing the battery agenda and so were dismissing phones with higher resolution screens than the Z3. This year they think they can do higher res *and* 2 day battery life

Haven't seen the dimensions but I bet it is the same or slightly smaller than the iphone 6+, and only 8g heavier is hardly 'heavy'?

edit: yep - shorter and narrower than 6+, and a tiny bit thicker

Oh good I was not the only one thinking this 8 grams is now the border for heavy? hmm well perhaps they considered the iPhone 6+ heavy as well.

a year ago they were pushing the battery agenda and so were dismissing phones with higher resolution screens than the Z3. This year they think they can do higher res *and* 2 day battery life

They're full of shit. They're going to jump straight into 4K and "think" they can do better battery? I call BS.

reKon

Banned
810? DOA

Fucking hilarious that a year ago they said 2K displays were useless cuz of battery on the Z3 and now look at this shit lol.

One Plus performance and benchmarks are perfectly fine and it's running the 810. It's not really that big of a deal at this point. The Exynos 7240 completely smokes everything anyways... Even the Exynos 5433 still does work. The HTC One M9's 810 on the other hand... yikes.

I am loving what I am reading about the Z5 on Engadget. The new camera and sensor sounds good, but Sony's skin is over. Despite the 810, I kind of want to upgrade from my Z3C. Testing out the Note 5 has me wanting a larger screen.

Admodieus

The regular Z5 (not the compact, not the premium) is going to be the star here.

1920 x 1080, 2900 mAh, 5.2", fingerprint sensor, NFC, hopefully a good camera using their sensors, stock Android....

Volotaire

I love how they have removed the Sony skin. That was another aspect I did not like about the Xperia line relative to other skins/stock. Was this implemented in the Z4/Z3+?

I love how they have removed the Sony skin. That was another aspect I did not like about the Xperia line relative to other skins/stock. Was this implemented in the Z4/Z3+?

The Sony skin was and always will be awful but people pretend that it's not for whatever reason. This is definitely a plus for them.

BTW the Motorola page for the X Style still has the 16GB version listed. Someone said they axed that. Doesn't seem the case.

The Huawei watch looks pretty good, but premium prices for first generation hardware that's at the verge of being replaced? Hm. $349 isn't bad, but they're still using the same old Android Wear configuration (SD400, 4GB storage, 512 MB RAM). Maybe next year?

The Huawei watch looks pretty good, but premium prices for first generation hardware that's at the verge of being replaced? Hm. $349 isn't bad, but they're still using the same old Android Wear configuration (SD400, 4GB storage, 512 MB RAM). Maybe next year?

It looks good, but I don't feel it really looks much better than the Urbane. I'd rather get a Gear S2 if the Gear S2 supported Android phones in general.

Problem is not that the phone gets hot ... that was solved already ... with the real problem: Downthrottling under heavy workload!
Some phones with an 810 get slow like a snail, in order to prevent heating and overheating.

I have to say, the more possible alternatives for the N5-2 i see, the more i tend to it. Either the new N5 or skip-year ...

But then again, there is no guarantee that Qualcomm will get it's sh*t together again with the next generation of SoCs ... or is there? (Honest question)

jokkir

Sapphire glass too apparently.

Also, 810 will never be as hot as a Nexus 4 so that's a huge plus in my book

I thought 810 is fine now. One Plus Two seem doesn't have overheating issue

One Plus Two performance seems to be good in everyday use and benchmarks, but as usual no one fucking reads lol

It throttles heavily to avoid overheating. So, yes, in practical terms, it is "fixed," but it still ends up effectively doing the same thing it would if it did overheat: slowing clock speeds down.

Just because OnePlus fixed a problem doesn't mean that other oems did.

Also this.

But, ABOVE ALL ELSE, it's a 4K display. It needs to push way more pixels to run efficiently. One Plus Two is a 1080p display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom