• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thing about going to Spring is sure they would go head to head with other OEMs.

It's not like the current Nexus/Pixel phone stops selling when Samsung or HTC drop their new phones though. It's just a harder sell for Google to say hey buy our premium phones with last year's specs over the competition.

At least this way they could say hey buy our phones with the best Android experience and the current top flight hardware everyone else has.

Edit: I know Oserious wants a top flight Google phone that's premium in build. The Pixel phones seem to be that with the price point to boot.

I'd be more fine with that if I knew the Pixel phone I was getting was at the beginning of the Qualcomm cycle vs the end.

yyzjohn

Banned
Working? Doing their day job? Trying not to pay exorbitant last minute plane ticket prices? Trying to actually plan and get a hotel and stuff and not be scrambling?

So I just checked. Last year Google sent out invites on Sept 18th (a Friday) for the Sept 29th event (a Tuesday). That's 11 days, following that same pattern they can sent out invites next Friday (Sept 23) for the Oct 4th event.

Mindwipe

I feel like the biggest problem the Pixel phones have is that the cameras are going to have to be near Samsung tier if they're going to be the prices they are.

I'm seriously considering buying a Note 7. If nobody's going to make a phone small enough to use fuck it all, I may as well get a great camera and the lens case, and the pen is great.

Also in the event of being captured I can set it to self destruct to defeat my foes.

The 7+ is still using Qualcomm's radios: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+7+Plus+Teardown/67384

Not using Intel yet, it seems

L9pBDeW.jpg

This is what they gave up the headphone jack for. So the home button could vibrate.

TkPWiam.gif

VoxPop

So would it be a smart idea to just keep my Note if it has one of the good IMEIs or whatever saying it most likely won't blow up? I bought an unlocked version from one of those Ebay sellers so it'd be a pain to send it back especially since I've been using it as my daily driver for the past week.

Jeffrey

theres also a random plastic thing in there too. Pretty sure apple's timelines got messed up a bit which delayed the true refresh, but they already had plans on removing the headphone jack and what not, so iphone 7 is just a slightly modded out 6S.

Been thinking about this, with the V20 being the 'first' nougat phone. Google and LG really should have made the V20 the 'pixel phone'. All the DACs and other goodies in there can justify the price increase, and removable battery and what not are what the google 'technical' audience are always begging for.

v20 is a great phone, but too bad LG doesn't mean much these days. Google backed would have helped.

wilflare

Yep that's what I did. Just turned off mail from Gmail in those accounts. Works just fine

thanks. it's just "amazing" sometimes the hoops we have to jump to get things working.
all I wanted was my Outlook calendar to appear on Google Calendar - that should have happened with the installation of Outlook for Android

I feel like the biggest problem the Pixel phones have is that the cameras are going to have to be near Samsung tier if they're going to be the prices they are.

I'm seriously considering buying a Note 7. If nobody's going to make a phone small enough to use fuck it all, I may as well get a great camera and the lens case, and the pen is great.

Also in the event of being captured I can set it to self destruct to defeat my foes.

85% of Note 7 users have not turned in their device that could possibly explode.

they are waiting for a new Note 7 because there is no substitute.

you need to get one when they become available again.

RuGalz

is this what you mean?

No. Normally, when you tun on DND, you have the option to select when it will get turned off automatically. (i.e. in 30 min, in an hour, until the next alarm goes off if an alarm is coming up). I simply don't understand why they had to mess with such convenient feature. It took me a while to train my wife to remember doing that so her phone doesn't just go silent forever but now I'd have to tell her to go to settings and setup a schedule. smh

215x358xScreenshot_2016-06-22-11-10-11.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.NUSpZSrPHh.png

wilflare

I just got my (aunt's) Note7 exchanged
I feel bad for Samsung - they got a fantastic phone marred by this incident :/

I hope there's no issues with the new phone - else... it would be a really awful time for the company

Klocker

thanks. it's just "amazing" sometimes the hoops we have to jump to get things working.
all I wanted was my Outlook calendar to appear on Google Calendar - that should have happened with the installation of Outlook for Android

Yes the Exchange trick is actually a little MS feature that they Implemented after Google dropped support for MS ActiveSync. it's a nice little workaround.

That's what I'm finding as well in this ecosystem, that continuity is hard to come by.. very fragmented feeling

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Last year's Nexus phones had great cameras.

Honestly every flagship has a more than good enough camera these days for general use.

As someone said in the Apple thread there is only so much you can do until physics/size gets in the way.

Honestly since the S6 most every flagship camera has been great. Its just a matter of how great as well as low light.

OG Kush

Are there any good sub 5 inch android phones apart from z5 compact? Quite anonoying... you would think that because one of Apple's main phones is 4.7 inches that some Android manufacturers would copy them but nooo bigger is always better /rant.

RuGalz

Are there any good sub 5 inch android phones apart from z5 compact? Quite anonoying... you would think that because one of Apple's main phones is 4.7 inches that some Android manufacturers would copy them but nooo bigger is always better /rant.

Sony Xperia X Compact?

Speaking of which they just released the necessary code for a stock Nougat AOSP build. I wish Sony would stop fucking around with US release of their phone.

wilflare

Yes the Exchange trick is actually a little MS feature that they Implemented after Google dropped support for MS ActiveSync. it's a nice little workaround.

That's what I'm finding as well in this ecosystem, that continuity is hard to come by.. very fragmented feeling

I realised a limitation with the Exchange method - the Outlook calendar won't show up on calendar.google.com :/

Doesn't disabling them in Android settings achieve the same outcome?

not all apps can be disabled via Android settings (i.e. Google Launcher and Keyboards)

reKon

Banned
If Note 7 was discounted to $500, I would probably fuck around and heavily consider buying that over next years flagships, unless the dual camera hype is legit.

Jeffrey

No. Normally, when you tun on DND, you have the option to select when it will get turned off automatically. (i.e. in 30 min, in an hour, until the next alarm goes off if an alarm is coming up). I simply don't understand why they had to mess with such convenient feature. It took me a while to train my wife to remember doing that so her phone doesn't just go silent forever but now I'd have to tell her to go to settings and setup a schedule. smh

215x358xScreenshot_2016-06-22-11-10-11.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.NUSpZSrPHh.png

ah, yeah nothing like that...

best to post about it on the ZTE forum. they seem to be receptive on taking feedback.

Otherwise, wait for CM13 to get in a usable state lol

RuGalz

ah, yeah nothing like that...

best to post about it on the ZTE forum. they seem to be receptive on taking feedback.

Otherwise, wait for CM13 to get in a usable state lol

Yea there've been a few complaints about it on the ZTE form -- that's how I discovered it. Unfortunately, customized skin would take more work to fix so I'm not confident that anything will change any time soon.

I'll have to see how bad the signals are after Amazon ships them and hopefully ZTE will have pushed out new updates to address signal issues/wifi calling by then. Between poor signals and a couple weird quirks like this are enough to to be deal breakers. I don't like doing custom firmware on phones that is not my own -- it's just too much maintenance headache.

Hasney

Bigger is also easier with heat generating, always faster CPUs. People are mostly buying SE's for a cheaper iPhone as smaller Android phones don't seem to move units (bar the Z3 Compact seemingly... Well, outside the US).

Jeffrey

apple is in a unique position of being a closed garden. I assume the smaller model sells the best because of the price more than the screen size.

meanwhile in android land, you can get 5.5" + phones for $100 these days, so I assume there is some value proposition happening in which 'size = value', for your average joe who doesn't care about benchmarks, its kind of a hard sell for a pricey 'small' phone.

Maxim726X

How do I revert back to 6.x from 7.0?

I'm on a Nexus, and too many fucking apps are broken. Now calls are being dropped. Hangouts breaks every 5 seconds, which is hard to believe.

I definitely want out.

RuGalz

How do I revert back to 6.x from 7.0?

I'm on a Nexus, and too many fucking apps are broken. Now calls are being dropped. Hangouts breaks every 5 seconds, which is hard to believe.

I definitely want out.

You probably need to download factory image from Google and flash the image (including complete wipe of your phone).

Maxim726X

You probably need to download factory image from Google and flash the image (including complete wipe of your phone).

Eh. That sounds like a rather large hassle... But I may not have a choice.

Shouldn't have been a guinea pig. Thanks for the quick advice.

Klocker

I realised a limitation with the Exchange method - the Outlook calendar won't show up on calendar.google.com :/

not all apps can be disabled via Android settings (i.e. Google Launcher and Keyboards)

Ahhh shit, thanks. Never tried that. Just use Google calendar on phone.
No way to add exchange account in Google web I assume?

wilflare

Ahhh shit, thanks. Never tried that. Just use Google calendar on phone.
No way to add exchange account in Google web I assume?

nope. oh well. have thinking of making a Google account with my work email.
and then share the Google Calendar. that's another way I suppose but bleh

all these workarounds .__.

Saiyan-Rox

This whole 2.5D screen is the one thing thats really pissing me the fuck off now on the OP3....I;ve spent a fortune on screen protectors and they all suck! spent £18 on the official curved one which was perfect just to get the rhino sheild case today and it pulled the glass off and it got ruined cause it looks like only the small protectors work with it and not the pro ones.

Grrrrrrrr

This whole 2.5D screen is the one thing thats really pissing me the fuck off now on the OP3....I;ve spent a fortune on screen protectors and they all suck! spent £18 on the official curved one which was perfect just to get the rhino sheild case today and it pulled the glass off and it got ruined cause it looks like only the small protectors work with it and not the pro ones.

Grrrrrrrr

Got the same issue with the Galaxy S7. Decided not to put one on, because it's too much of a hassle. No case either, because there isn't a good looking one.

Saiyan-Rox

Got the same issue with the Galaxy S7. Decided not to put one on, because it's too much of a hassle. No case either, because there isn't a good looking one.

I just can't go caseless and scratches on my screen is unbareable to me so I need tempered glass at least it just doesn't help that it's really fuckin hard to get them for this phone. I don't wanna pay £18 for another curved one and have to send the rhino shield back cause it doesn't work with it.

Is the Galaxy S7 the same? a 2.5D screen? fucking hate them...it's the Nexus 6 all over again.

EDIT: I think i've spent nearly £90 on accessories for this phone and most of those are screen protectors....fml

I just can't go caseless and scratches on my screen is unbareable to me so I need tempered glass at least it just doesn't help that it's really fuckin hard to get them for this phone. I don't wanna pay £18 for another curved one and have to send the rhino shield back cause it doesn't work with it.

Is the Galaxy S7 the same? a 2.5D screen? fucking hate them...it's the Nexus 6 all over again.

EDIT: I think i've spent nearly £90 on accessories for this phone and most of those are screen protectors....fml

Yep, the glass on the edge is slightly curved. While it feels nice, it makes it impossible to get a good screen protector, muss less a tempered glass one. Most of the ones available don't cover the entire glass and it looks ridiculous, like you bought a screen protector for the wrong phone and just said "fuck it, imma use it anyway".

E:

Look at this shit. Who the fuck thinks this is acceptable?

Saiyan-Rox

Yep, the glass on the edge is slightly curved. While it feels nice, it makes it impossible to get a good screen protector, muss less a tempered glass one. Most of the ones available don't cover the entire glass and it looks ridiculous, like you bought a screen protector for the wrong phone and just said "fuck it, imma use it anyway".

E:

Look at this shit. Who the fuck thinks this is acceptable?

yep that's the exact same thing with the OP3 but you can get pro versions but there's no stick to the screen part so you get this massive rainbow blob right bang in the centre of the phone.

it's really hard to make protectors for 2.5D screens and it's infuriating...i've sold phones for less issues and I may just have to sell this phone swell, fuck.

Top Bottom