• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Apt101

Question: since the Shield K1 is now discontinued, what would be a good Andriod tablet for emulation? I am looking for something under £200 that can run upto and including N64.

The GPD XD is tempting but I would rather a proper tablet as I can sell my iPad and I alredy have a Bluetooth controller from 8bitdo.

I have been an iPad guy for years so no idea what brands are good in the Android space.

I guess they had to discontinue it eventually, but man that was a great tablet for the value. I still have mine, it's practically new since it was replaced during the battery recall.

I think I'll turn mine into a little emulation device. May as well do something with it.

As for a suggestion, it's tough. £200 is what, about $270 USD? I can't think of any tablet off the top of my head that will pack the power you're looking for at that price. Maybe one of the Asus tablets?

teiresias

well half a month for the annoucement who knows when they'll launch (probably November)

Also I would hold off on the OP3 atm to see were the software for it is going

After having Nexus phones I think waiting to see where software is going is applicable to pretty much anything else frankly.

rc213

Jeebus I need that new Nexus Tablet.

I spent two hours getting Nougat on my Nexus 7 2013 last night cause I forgot most of the steps to rooting. Well worth it though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So now that we got multiwindow basically Android is pretty much feature complete?

It's just tweaks or updates to existing apps like the camera?

Have we finally reached the end of the road so to speak in big features?

Next year seems like it'll be about taking VR from v1.0 as they improve things.

In terms of core Android I'm not sure what else there really is?

So now that we got multiwindow basically Android is pretty much feature complete?

It's just tweaks or updates to existing apps like the camera?

Have we finally reached the end of the road so to speak in big features?

Next year seems like it'll be about taking VR from v1.0 as they improve things.

In terms of core Android I'm not sure what else there really is?

still needs S Beam

Jeffrey

wonder if google will ever write some api for '3d touch'?

a lot of chinese phones have it but its just limited to their stock apps.

Xisiqomelir

Man, following 33-step .pdfs from the xda-dev forums reminds me of the good old days of last year.

Protips for anyone else with an R7x: celoxocis actually has some minor errors/omissions in his pdf.

1) The actual path to the modified aboot in step 24 is /storage/sdcard1/Oppo/emmc_appsboot.mbn

2) He neglects to mention that you'll need to enable OEM unlock as a developer option before flashing the aboot and attempting the OEM unlock over adb. This should probably happen along with the USB debug activation in step 17.

3) As usual, pandering to windows users makes it seem as though getting adb drivers installed and putting in terminal commands is very hard, when anyone on a UNIX-enough real OS will have no problem.

Anyway, here we are! Goodbye ColorOS! I hardly knew ye, and I wish it had been even less:

I6aXAGT.jpg

Seriously don't know why device manufacturers bother with their horrible attempts at UI/X. Just let the professionals at Google/CM/14-y.o.-who-read-the-Newton-HIG
this is STILL better than BOTH the iOS AND Android HiGs!
do it and give me better hardware faster.

SteveWD40

I guess they had to discontinue it eventually, but man that was a great tablet for the value. I still have mine, it's practically new since it was replaced during the battery recall.

I think I'll turn mine into a little emulation device. May as well do something with it.

As for a suggestion, it's tough. £200 is what, about $270 USD? I can't think of any tablet off the top of my head that will pack the power you're looking for at that price. Maybe one of the Asus tablets?

I could go higher I guess, as I would be selling the Air2 32GB.

From what I have seen, the new Nexus 7 / Pixel 7 is due in October, so I will hang fire for that.

Jeffrey

I bet the sales for the moto z aren't great, this really is the best time for moto, heck any android company (come on, HTC, LG) to use that marketing budget to get some sales.

So good for them. I want all the companies to strike hard. Also pay close attention to which ones pimp the fact that they still have a headphone jack.

The ones that are more mum about that probably dropping it in 2017.

Noema

I bet the sales for the moto z aren't great, this really is the best time for moto, heck any android company (come on, HTC, LG) to use that marketing budget to get some sales.

So good for them. I want all the companies to strike hard. Also pay close attention to which ones pimp the fact that they still have a headphone jack.

The ones that are more mum about that probably dropping it in 2017.

It's a $650+ Verizon exclusive so it's likely not setting the world on fire.

Moto had the chance to go enter the 400 dollar budget flagship bracket with the Z Play but decided to gimp it with the SD625 instead of a SD652 . I guess they were afraid to make their midtier phone too good.

In other news, the latest Nova beta includes Pixel Launcher style Google search and App drawer:

It's a decent facsimile, though of course it lacks swipe to Google Now.

Got a Nexus 6p yesterday (wanted to wait to see new devices, but my current phone died on me). I was puzzled that nouget was not available as an ota system update? I thought they were already rolling that out to the new Nexus devices?

Noema

Got a Nexus 6p yesterday (wanted to wait to see new devices, but my current phone died on me). I was puzzled that nouget was not available as an ota system update? I thought they were already rolling that out to the new Nexus devices?

Rollouts take a while to get to all devices. It's a gradual process.

You can download the OTA from Google directly and flash it yourself if you don't want to wait though.

g0tm1lk

In other news, the latest Nova beta includes Pixel Launcher style Google search and App drawer:

It's a decent facsimile, though of course it lacks swipe to Google Now.

If you have several tabs on the app drawer while you swipe between them the drawer itself can hide again, implementation is not that good IMO.

Apologies for a dumb question.

I've been playing a lot of FF Mobius lately and it runs like a dream on my Nexus 9, but like total ass on my Nexus 6P and I can't figure out why. I even tried doing a factory reset on my 6p and it made little difference.

Anything I can do, or is it a hardware thing?

Apologies for a dumb question.

I've been playing a lot of FF Mobius lately and it runs like a dream on my Nexus 9, but like total ass on my Nexus 6P and I can't figure out why. I even tried doing a factory reset on my 6p and it made little difference.

Anything I can do, or is it a hardware thing?
Does your phone get warm while playing the game?

Kwixotik

So I rooted my S7, not realizing it would permanently lock me out of Samsung Pay and prevent me from accessing my $30 Best Buy gift card forever.

I suck.

Jeffrey

Hmmm so my 6s+ arrived. You don't realize how good front facing speakers are until you go back to a single bottom facing one.

Also forgot how huge this was. Iphone somehow are the largest bestselling phones of 2016 lol. Like note 7 is somehow smaller than the 7 plus.

Hmmm so my 6s+ arrived. You don't realize how good front facing speakers are until you go back to a single bottom facing one.

Also forgot how huge this was. Iphone somehow are the largest bestselling phones of 2016 lol. Like note 7 is somehow smaller than the 7 plus.

Those huge bezels.

wilflare

Nova is just the best. Now I have the great drawer animation and design, no search button and finally use double-tap to lock without losing the fingerprint unlock after that. Best Android app ever <3

is that a dock background you are using?
and the arrow above the dock - swipe up for drawer?

Alszem

In terms of battery life, which one performs better: Xperia Z5 Premium or S7?

I'm getting sick of Samsung phones. I'm on my 3rd Samsung phone in a row and battery life is awful after a year of use. If the situation is different with the S7, I might go for it. I'm really tempted to try Sony, though.

(If the Xperia X Performance is a better alternative, let me know.)

Thanks!

ThisOne

Do we know a specific date yet for the Google conference where they'll announce the Pixel and Pixel XL? Is it the first week of October?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Do we know a specific date yet for the Google conference where they'll announce the Pixel and Pixel XL? Is it the first week of October?

The initial leak rumor date was Oct 4th, but usually for press events invites go out at least 3 weeks ahead so people can plan.

So mid Oct or later is looking more likely.

Top Bottom