• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Reckoner

In terms of battery life, which one performs better: Xperia Z5 Premium or S7?

I'm getting sick of Samsung phones. I'm on my 3rd Samsung phone in a row and battery life is awful after a year of use. If the situation is different with the S7, I might go for it. I'm really tempted to try Sony, though.

(If the Xperia X Performance is a better alternative, let me know.)

Thanks!

I like Sony's phones, but don't get the Z5. It has a Qualcomm SD810. Wait for the XZ which looks pretty good.

Nikodemos

I like Sony's phones, but don't get the Z5. It has a Qualcomm SD810. Wait for the XZ which looks pretty good.
The XZ and X Performance are basically the same phone, except the XZ has an extra 0.2'' display-wise. I'd go for the X Per, myself. It's bound to be cheaper.

Jeffrey

wonder what the ideal 'ram amount' is for android, this 6s+ is way better at holding stuff in memory than my axon 7.

I assume there is software customization too, like how the oneplus 3 really gimped ram usage out of the gate.

Alszem

The XZ and X Performance are basically the same phone, except the XZ has an extra 0.2'' display-wise. I'd go for the X Per, myself. It's bound to be cheaper.

The X Performance appears to be somewhat of a downgrade compared to the Z5 Premium when I read/watch reviews. Their phone lineup is confusing.

I know the X is more recent, but is it actually better?

Reckoner

Doesn't the XZ have a revised 820? I know it has a better camera at least. Probably not worth the price difference.

The X Performance appears to be somewhat of a downgrade compared to the Z5 Premium when I read/watch reviews. Their phone lineup is confusing.

I know the X is more recent, but is it actually better?

For the SoC alone, it should be.

Nikodemos

Doesn't the XZ have a revised 820? I know it has a better camera at least. Probably not worth the price difference.
The XZ has literally the same internal specs as the X Performance. According to the GSM Arena comparo tool, it has a better camera and USB-C instead of the same ol' Micro-USB connector (and a bigger screen). Unless either of those are a dealbreaker, I'd get the X Perf.

The X Performance appears to be somewhat of a downgrade compared to the Z5 Premium when I read/watch reviews.
Not really. It's just less premium-'feeling' - for lack of a better word - compared to the Z5 (something that can be said about the entire X series). Regardless of how lacklustre the SD820 is (and it is), it's nowhere near as bad as the 810.

I should know, I have a Z5 Compact; probably the best SD810 phone, which is really not saying much.

CronoShot

The initial leak rumor date was Oct 4th, but usually for press events invites go out at least 3 weeks ahead so people can plan.

So mid Oct or later is looking more likely.
It's possible that they'll pull a Nexus 5/6 and just put it on sale without an event.

Seems unlikely given the supposed greater marketing push for the Pixel phones, but possible.

Alszem

It seems that the X Performance doesn't have the fingerprint scanner in Canada. What kind of stupid decision is that? Unless I'm missing something. For a moderate to heavy user, is the battery good enough to last a day?

Maybe I'll stick with my Note Edge for a bit. I thought the Z5 would be a good replacement.

Noema

I can't fathom why anyone would want a Sony phone. The Z3 series was good, but their current lineup is average at best and horribly overpriced to boot. So many great phones out there that just blow Sony out of the water.

Their only saving grace is the fact that they are the only Android OEM to release small phones with good specs, but even this year's compact lacks am SD820.

reKon

Banned
I can't fathom why anyone would want a Sony phone. The Z3 series was good, but their current lineup is average at best and horribly overpriced to boot. So many great phones out there that just blow Sony out of the water.

Their only saving grace is the fact that they are the only Android OEM to release small phones with good specs, but even this year's compact lacks am SD820.

this - but I would say the Z3 series was not just good, but rather it was great

It's a $650+ Verizon exclusive so it's likely not setting the world on fire.

Moto had the chance to go enter the 400 dollar budget flagship bracket with the Z Play but decided to gimp it with the SD625 instead of a SD652 . I guess they were afraid to make their midtier phone too good.

In other news, the latest Nova beta includes Pixel Launcher style Google search and App drawer:

It's a decent facsimile, though of course it lacks swipe to Google Now.
Man the only case for a Z Play over last year's Moto X is, what, the mods? Then again I don't know how the 625 compares to an 808, but Reddit seems to be on my side.

Man I want another Moto but the Z doesn't seem like it is it. Might just settle on an OP3. Axon looks good, but I saw some lag in comparison vids and I ain't about that.

Klocker

hmm can't seem to figure this out but is there a way to sync the Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar?
You can add Gmail accounts to outlook easy enough... Also you. Can add .outlook accounts to Gmail as Exchange accounts and select manual settings (dismiss the keyboard after entering your password without hitting enter and you will see manual setup). Then name the server s.outlook.com

That will sync outlook accounts in Google calendar if that's what you were looking for? When you add an item in your Google calendar it will appear on your outlook account in other devices and vice versa

Must be outlook though, no Hotmail or live accounts

How do you use double-tap to sleep in conjunction with a fingerprint reader to unlock it again? When I enabled it, I had to unlock the phone with a pattern.

wilflare

You can add Gmail accounts to outlook easy enough... Also you. Can add .outlook accounts to Gmail as Exchange accounts and select manual settings (dismiss the keyboard after entering your password without hitting enter and you will see manual setup). Then name the server s.outlook.com

That will sync outlook accounts in Google calendar if that's what you were looking for? When you add an item in your Google calendar it will appear on your outlook account in other devices and vice versa

Must be outlook though, no Hotmail or live accounts

thanks! guess I'll do this and prevent Gmail from syncing the emails too (else I'll have both Gmail and Outlook sending me notifications for the same work mail)

Xisiqomelir

24-hour review of the R7:

-LOVE that the feeble 615 leaves the battery the fuck alone, returning me to >24 hours usable
-Also love that the 8 cores and 4GB RAM enable my open-apps-and-never-close them habit
-The tectonic-plate-sized body isn't actually as terrible as I thought it would be, but it depends on my pants for the day
-CM 13 is really nice
-Speakers actually seem to be a little better than the Z3's

In the spirit of the Android OT:

-No FM radio hardware
-No real dual-SIM, the hybrid tray means you either pick SIM #2 or the microSD

Legit though, I am really happy with this thing

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's possible that they'll pull a Nexus 5/6 and just put it on sale without an event.

Seems unlikely given the supposed greater marketing push for the Pixel phones, but possible.

They gotta have an event to fully unveil Google DayDream at the very least.

yyzjohn

Banned
The initial leak rumor date was Oct 4th, but usually for press events invites go out at least 3 weeks ahead so people can plan.

So mid Oct or later is looking more likely.

Why would invites need to be sent out 3 weeks in advance? Apple sends out invites a week before.

Jokab

Sorry if this has been asked before, but it's difficult to search for.

In older Android versions, it was possible to get rid of the LED notification light flashing by pressing the lock button twice, so that the device sort of knows you've read it. But that seems to have been removed in Nougat - the only way I can find to remove the flashing is by removing the notification that is causing the light (i.e. the latest notification) by swiping it away or opening it.

The thing is that the blinking distracts me to no end, but I still want the phone in my eyesight to see incoming notifications. I also don't want to remove the notification because then I will forget about it.

Can't find anything in the options for this. Help? Why would they make this change in the first place?

Vanillalite

Why would invites need to be sent out 3 weeks in advance? Apple sends out invites a week before.

Apple usually is earlier than that, and even still it was a full 10 days out.

If you wanted till the following Monday after next week you'd be under the 10 day mark.

For example Apple was 10 days out. Samsung was 20.

You usually need to give somewhere between those numbers to give journalists time to plan. You also don't send invites out on Fridays or Weekends obviously.

Klocker

thanks! guess I'll do this and prevent Gmail from syncing the emails too (else I'll have both Gmail and Outlook sending me notifications for the same work mail)
Yep that's what I did. Just turned off mail from Gmail in those accounts. Works just fine

Vanillalite

That 821 better be fast as fuck as Google has made us wait all year for this.

Current OEM owners have had 820s all year, and the 10nm 830 is looming.

Vanillalite

It's just a faster 820, just like the 801 was a faster 800. Don't expect miraculously high performance gains from it.

I know.

It's just inversing how they handle innards it means where as they launched ahead of everyone else with the Nexus 4 and 5 they are launching behind everyone else now with the 6P and Pixel phones.

So you have less time with it being best hardware in Android land and more time waiting for the next Google phones while OEMs leap frog to the new chipset.

The longer they wait the shorter the time frame they have.

Google should move Android's cycle to spring so they can follow Qualcomm like everyone else.

Vanillalite

10nm? looming?
I don't think so.

The 830 is next year's chipset and that's gonna be 10nm.

If we go off the fact that the Google Phones won't be out till basically Nov then yes the 830 will be looming.

Next year's crop of phones will start being unveiled in January. Samsung dropped that S7 reveal in Feb of this year.

So for Google the gap between the first set of Snapdragon 820 devices and the Pixel launch is waayy larger than the gap between Pixel phones and next year's devices.

It's why they need to push to Spring to follow Qualcomm's cycle.

Jeffrey

wonder if qualcomm is feeling any of the pressure from apple. They got blind sided when apple went 64bit with the phones, and now that A10 is wrecking all benchmarks and climbing into laptop cpu performance.

They do still kind of have a decent niche, really its just them and mediatek, but with the largest phone companies in the world (apple huawei samsung) all have their own in house stuff, heck we just had the very first huawei phone in the US with a kirin processor. Hope the 830 is the 'next big thing'.

Wonder if samsung will do SD830 in the US for their flagships.

I do wonder if samsung will ever look at 'performance' again. There was a time when Galaxy phones were the snappiest of android devices. And I bet those popular speedtest videos and that XDA article might have upset some decision maker exec at samsung.

The 830 is next year's chipset and that's gonna be 10nm.

If we go off the fact that the Google Phones won't be out till basically Nov then yes the 830 will be looming.

Next year's crop of phones will start being unveiled in January. Samsung dropped that S7 reveal in Feb of this year.

So for Google the gap between the first set of Snapdragon 820 devices and the Pixel launch is waayy larger than the gap between Pixel phones and next year's devices.

It's why they need to push to Spring to follow Qualcomm's cycle.

Doesn't seem like the wisest move to launch a phone in the timeframe of the s8 though.

Vanillalite

Qualcomm's edge is two fold.

They got them patients in the US hence companies like Samsung still using them when needed vs paying royalties.

And their Adreno GPU generally wipes the floor with stuff the competition.

Other chip manufacturers have caught up on the CPU side. The GPU side is still an easy win for them which could become more of a boon if VR takes off.

PS: I say that about the Pixel phones above cause Google seems to be going to charge flagship like pricing.

RuGalz

Google is the one got blind sided by the 64bit move. It's not as if the Android OS is really taking advantage of 64bit architecture or even specifically optimized for it. And because of that, all the OEMs are just adding more ram to claim superiority, which seems to play well with some Android crowd, when in reality it's not doing much past 4GB.

yyzjohn

Banned
Apple usually is earlier than that, and even still it was a full 10 days out.

If you wanted till the following Monday after next week you'd be under the 10 day mark.

For example Apple was 10 days out. Samsung was 20.

You usually need to give somewhere between those numbers to give journalists time to plan. You also don't send invites out on Fridays or Weekends obviously.

So Apple sent out invites on August 29th a Monday for a Sept 7th a Wednesday of the following week. What's to stop Google from sending invites the Sept 26th a Monday for the the 4th of October the following Tuesday? Tech reporters are pretty much expecting something to be coming, not like you're catching them off guard. What else would they be doing?

Vanillalite

So Apple sent out invites on August 29th a Monday for a Sept 7th a Wednesday of the following week. What's to stop Google from sending invites the Sept 26th a Monday for the the 4th of October the following Tuesday? Tech reporters are pretty much expecting something to be coming, not like you're catching them off guard. What else would they be doing?

Working? Doing their day job? Trying not to pay exorbitant last minute plane ticket prices? Trying to actually plan and get a hotel and stuff and not be scrambling?

Top Bottom