• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

tzare

. duo is worse. WTF are thry doing.

Duo is really nice. It should be tied to allo (Or hangouts)
In fact video quality has been much better(and stable) for me than hangouts video calls by a mile. ALso it seems to use less data than hangouts and similar apps which is surprising since video quality seems better too.

Viber
10,4MB/min

Hangouts
10MB/min

FB Messenger
6,4MB/min

Google Duo
6,38MB/min

Facetime
4MB/min

this_guy

I'm testing out Allo now. For reference, my main number is with Google Voice and I use Hangouts for texting. This set up allows me to have multiple cell phones ring when people call me, and I can text or call them back from any phone as long as I logged into that device with my Google Voice/Hangouts info. I can also text from a laptop/desktop using Hangouts. To the person I'm calling/texting all they see is my main number.

Allo needs to be able to take over for Hangouts and do all of the above, but right now it doesn't.

First issue - the sms fallback using the sms relay number is pretty dumb. Google probably did this to avoid having texts disappear into the void when uninstalling Allo or switching devices like how iMessage does.

Second issue - no multi device support is also dumb. I installed Allo on one phone, sent a couple messages to some friends so they can install it. Grabbed my other phone and also installed Allo. Both phones are using my Google Voice number, so currently any text I receive or send I can do it from either phone using Hangouts. With Allo, activating the 2nd device will cause it to disconnect from the first device. The 2nd device loaded up the contacts that I had sent messages using the first device, but the actual messages didn't load. I could live with no multi device support if messages were backed up in the cloud, i.e. forced to log out of one phone if another device logs in but all your messages carry over.

tzare

I'm testing out Allo now. For reference, my main number is with Google Voice and I use Hangouts for texting. This set up allows me to have multiple cell phones ring when people call me, and I can text or call them back from any phone as long as I logged into that device with my Google Voice/Hangouts info. I can also text from a laptop/desktop using Hangouts. To the person I'm calling/texting all they see is my main number.

Allo needs to be able to take over for Hangouts and do all of the above, but right now it doesn't.

First issue - the sms fallback using the sms relay number is pretty dumb. Google probably did this to avoid having texts disappear into the void when uninstalling Allo or switching devices like how iMessage does.

Second issue - no multi device support is also dumb. I installed Allo on one phone, sent a couple messages to some friends so they can install it. Grabbed my other phone and also installed Allo. Both phones are using my Google Voice number, so currently any text I receive or send I can do it from either phone using Hangouts. With Allo, activating the 2nd device will cause it to disconnect from the first device. The 2nd device loaded up the contacts that I had sent messages using the first device, but the actual messages didn't load. I could live with no multi device support if messages were backed up in the cloud, i.e. forced to log out of one phone if another device logs in but all your messages carry over.
This

Yes we know they went for the basics first... but that is basic these days, and they should at least try to keep hangouts users with them. Even whatsapp kinda does it by allowing that shitty web based service, you can use it on chrome for android (as long as android does not close it when managing ram)

teiresias

Contacts seeing my SMS show up from a random number is unacceptable - full stop. Not even installing this trash until that's fixed.

I'm like the above, use a Google Voice number (even paid to have my long time number ported into Voice), and hangouts does everything I need. I have one or two friends that insist on using FB Messenger, but otherwise it's SMS all the way. No way are my friends installing some janky Google messenger app.

yyzjohn

Banned
Yes the performance is still poor for such a light app and the windows chrome app is still awful.

Done.

What do you mean by "performance"? Is it slow for you? Not trying to be an ass but I really don't understand why you think it's bad? It's as responsive as any other messaging app I've used and I have Facebook messenger and Whatsapp also installed and used them occasionally.

As to the chrome app being "awful", that also explains nothing. I use Hangouts inside of the gmail webpage as a pop-out. It works fine, I can carry on multiple conversations easily.

Halcyon

I can't seem to find a solution that works better for my messaging needs than Facebook Messenger.

I convinced my wife to move to FB Messenger so that our conversations will be quicker and media sharing will have better quality.

The occasional SMS (which has been integrated into FB) from my family all get pulled into the same place.

Plus video chatting with my wife is through FB Messenger and I have no issues with it.

I like hangouts because I can chat through Gmail while I'm at work without looking like I'm not working but that would be a hard sell to get people with iPhones to adopt.

I feel like I'm doing the best I can but there's all these different options.

RuGalz

What do you mean by "performance"? Is it slow for you? Not trying to be an ass but I really don't understand why you think it's bad? It's as responsive as any other messaging app I've used and I have Facebook messenger and Whatsapp also installed and used them occasionally.

As to the chrome app being "awful", that also explains nothing. I use Hangouts inside of the gmail webpage as a pop-out. It works fine, I can carry on multiple conversations easily.

For me, Hangout seems like a huge memory hog and crashes a lot randomly for the last 6 months or so. It really chugs if you use camera feature inside the app. It doesn't seem like an issue with my N5 only having 2G of ram because my friend experiences similar thing on a S7E.

On desktop, Hangout inside gmail works way better than the extension. On top of that the extension seems to have more issues on OSX than on Windows. I've stopped using the extension altogether and it is 'fine' for now.

Allo seems pretty useless for the time being especially as a Google Voice user. Hopefully it will get better before everyone stops caring about it.

teiresias

As someone who uses a Google Voice number I'm not even sure I can even move on from Hangouts even if I wanted to.

Do any of the SMS messaging apps (even the Google one - the regular Messenger, not Allo) allow integration through my Google Voice number or would they be sending SMS through my phone's carrier number?

FFP2

Who is Allo even aimed at? I can't think of a reason for anyone to switch from Whatsapp/any other texting app.

Also, how do ya'll cope with 2-3hr SOT that shit seems impossible

Groof

Who is Allo even aimed at? I can't think of a reason for anyone to switch from Whatsapp/any other texting app.

constantly carrying portable batteries and regular chargers wherever i go. no joke.

Has anyone done a note 7 exchange with Carphone Warehouse in the UK? Been told my them I have to wait until 21st October to replace mines.

So that when they stop the service in a couple of years you can be the person going "yeah, I haven't used that since I installed it on the day it came out", of course.
The original gangsta

Literally carry your charger around. That's how iPhone users cope!

RuGalz

As someone who uses a Google Voice number I'm not even sure I can even move on from Hangouts even if I wanted to.

Do any of the SMS messaging apps (even the Google one - the regular Messenger, not Allo) allow integration through my Google Voice number or would they be sending SMS through my phone's carrier number?

IIRC, the Google SMS app won't barf if you give it the Google Voice number. But I can't recall if the recipient gets a random number or it was simply the case that I can't choose on the fly if I want to send SMS via Google Voice or my cell phone number that I had to stop using it.

Aiii

So not worth it
You know guys, I think I might switch to iPhone 7 instead of sticking with Android this year. With HTC, the rumored prices, and the lack of hardware innovation, I figure going back to iOS for a while might be just the thing. Also, I have 400 dollar wireless headphones that sound like shit on stock Android because they refuse to support the aptX codec, that bothers me.

I don't want to go non-stock ever again, not getting updates or getting them months upon months after the fact just doesn't suit me.

I dunno man, the grass on the other side sure looks green from over here.

Futureman

I think their biggest market would be people in the US. I think they basically want to become the iMessage that works on Android AND iOS. I guess you can do that with WhatsApp, but barely anyone I know uses WhatsApp.

this_guy

You know guys, I think I might switch to iPhone 7 instead of sticking with Android this year. With HTC, the rumored prices, and the lack of hardware innovation, I figure going back to iOS for a while might be just the thing. Also, I have 400 dollar wireless headphones that sound like shit on stock Android because they refuse to support the aptX codec, that bothers me.

I don't want to go non-stock ever again, not getting updates or getting them months upon months after the fact just doesn't suit me.

Get whatever appeals to you. It's 2016 - both Android and iPhone can do pretty much whatever needs to get done. iPhone vs Android wars are dumb. Just remember to disable iMessage if and when you come back.

Guess what, Iphone don't support apt-X either!

(At least before the 7).

Aiii

So not worth it
Guess what, Iphone don't support apt-X either!

(At least before the 7).

It supports AAC, though.

Get whatever appeals to you. It's 2016 - both Android and iPhone can do pretty much whatever needs to get done. iPhone vs Android wars are dumb. Just remember to disable iMessage if and when you come back.

Heh, I am in a WhatsApp using part of the world, so that is fine.

Pretty cool being able to use the assistant in chats with other people with @google. Allo is fucking fast compared to Hangouts for me and it certainly looks a lot nicer. I hope they don't treat it like Hangouts and smooth out some of the early launch issues such as using it on multiple devices and using it on the web/desktop.

Jeffrey

Something just clicked. HTC is making the new google phone that might be the first daydream thing, and HTC are also doing the vive.

Wonder if there will be some shared tech?

a bit odd when iphone is kinda lack of innovation this year as well!

Best to wait for 2017 phones imo.

Aiii

So not worth it
a bit odd when iphone is kinda lack of innovation this year as well!

Best to wait for 2017 phones imo.

Certainly true, but keep in mind that I haven't had an iPhone since the 5, so there are certainly some updates there that aren't on Android. I have Hue Lights, which integrate with Siri and Home right now. Force Touch, haptic feedback, stuff like that.

Mostly though the switch of ecosystems will give some change.

To be honest, I am not expecting much hardware innovation for several years more.

Jeffrey

Certainly true, but keep in mind that I haven't had an iPhone since the 5, so there are certainly some updates there that aren't on Android. I have Hue Lights, which integrate with Siri and Home right now. Force Touch, haptic feedback, stuff like that.

To be honest, I am not expecting much hardware innovation for several years more.

looking at prelimary shitty 'speed tests' expect similar OS navigation performance between a 6S and 7.

So if you want to save a bit of cash and still like a headphone jack, go check swappa.

I picked up a new 64gb 6s+ the other week for $540.

Aiii

So not worth it
As said, I already have wireless headphones, so the jack doesn't matter to me. The 7 Plus has 3GB of RAM, over the 6S though.

Toki767

I do wonder if eventually Apple just drops SMS support from iMessage and go all in on that as a platform.

Of course then they'd probably have to make an Android app.

Hilariously there are probably better odds of that than Google getting their messaging app act together.

If anything next year is when you really want to jump back to iOS if rumors are to be believed; IPhone 8 will be a fine piece of tech that would make even me blush.

This is a skip year for iPhone (and the Pixels). If the rumors are true, the iPhone will be a bezel-less, buttonless, all-screen wonder.

Even I, a devout Android fan, am excited to see it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was wondering, are airlines really going to look at your battery icon and take it at face value?

I suppose they'll just make you turn it off.

That's what was going on last week. On every flight I took they announced that all Note 7 phones must be powered off and not connected to a power source the entire time the plane doors are closed. They specifically said off, all other devices can be in airplane mode.

Gotta love how I've lost 14% battery life today and it only says 3 things taking up that power. 1% Android System, 1% Screen and 1% Android OS. And I'm on the 6P.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Geez, I might be the chosen one when it comes the battery life I'm getting with my 6P.

mackattk

judging by the horrible pricing of the pixel and google phones, what are my next best options?

axon 7 vs one plus one 3?

I actually wouldn't mind trying out a Moto Z Play, I don't really do any heavy gaming or anything else that would really strain out the lower end processor. That battery life is legit amazing, especially if you can get a free battery pack like Best Buy is doing.

I have an Axon 7 now and I am almost tempted to try and sell it and switch.

Broank

hmmmm hearing impressions I'm starting to think I shouldn't be so upset about STILl not having Nougat update on my N6 yet. The 4.5 hour SoT browsing, gaming and streaming in dp5 has been sweet.

Yes, I have been using hangouts since day 1 and performance has fluctuated in-between bad and acceptable for years. Its not the most responsive app. There is even another person saying this on this very page. I don't care if you think its fine. Its not great on my 5x and many other peoples phones.

Also of course you don't understand what I mean about the chrome app sucking because apparently you use the gmail webpage pop out. Since you don't use it I will just say its been buggy since day 1 just like the performance hasnt been very good since day 1 with the app.

Not stop debating your experience vs mine and enjoy the glorious Allo.

Welp. My non techy girlfriend and sister both love Allo.

Guess who doesn't. All the other software developers I work with....

Hmm.

I'm annoyed there is no web app (yet) but the general population is clearly not going to give a shit.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
hmmmm hearing impressions I'm starting to think I shouldn't be so upset about STILl not having Nougat update on my N6 yet. The 4.5 hour SoT browsing, gaming and streaming in dp5 has been sweet.
That's what I'm getting with Nougat.

Top Bottom