• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I mean, what do you define as "care" when it comes to Android? It seems like Android is simply a means to an end for any manufacturer that isn't Google.

Ask the guy that said care first. I was just proving a point and would have chosen a different word. Given that, Samsung cares the least since they are the closest to leaving Android for their own operating system.

It's just comical to me when people shit all over a device that hasn't been announced and then praise last year's when it was a bending and overheating / inneficient mess. Then someone else says Samsung cares more about Android when in realty they want nothing to do with Android.

At some point the premium price point IS worth it IF it's decent hardware. The HTC 10 is a fantastic device and gets better battery ratings in the most recent anandtech review than even the s7. To say HTC is shit is also hilarious.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10468/the-htc-10-review

Please charge me 150 - 200 more than the 6p for the Pixel C / XL if that means my phone doesn't bend and the processor doesn't make the battery die instantly and lag the phone.
Sure the S7 doesn't overheat and has waterproofing but who in the hell would trade software updates for a carrier phone. No thank you.

you'll get software updates eventually. you'll never get amazing build quality updates or actual good battery life updates or water resistance updates.

enjoy your sneeze resistant High Tech Computer

you'll get software updates eventually. you'll never get amazing build quality updates or actual good battery life updates or water resistance updates.

enjoy your sneeze resistant High Tech Computer

Since when did a Samsung ever get a "good" battery life update.

Don't even get me started again on how the Verizon S5 was stuck on 5.0 for over year which basically destroyed the phone.

Funny enough even though it skipped the more stable 5.1... once it actually got 6.0 it made the drain even worse on the S5. The S5 even had a pretty decent processor for its time with no issues.

What's the word on the Axon 7? I'm deciding between that one or spending the dough and getting the S7 Edge.

I love it. I haven't had any issues with it at all. The audio is excellent. It's a real head turner in terms of looks and sound. Even the display wows people. My girlfriend even wants me to buy her one.

Got my Verizon S7 Edge today. Flashed the stock unlocked s7 edge firmware on it and now I'm running it mostly bloat free. Will say the phone gets HOT, but it's so thin and I'm afraid of breaking or scratching it any time I put it down.

No Love

Banned
How's performance? Any hangups or lag in general use?

Not really. Butter smooth. I just hate the battery life. Already done a factory reset... Wakelocks must be insane. And my mobile signal at home sucks but I'm on WiFi most of the day. I optimize for drain but still...

Im going to test a Note 7 and LG V20 to see if they work better for me.

Dobsie

are you using any IMs and/or Chrome?

---
Allo is pretty fun. Google Assistant can be pretty hilarious
Yep using WhatsApp and FB messenger, along with chrome. I use Google maps on a daily basis but turn location off after I've used it. I've also revoked location permissions for all the apps that I don't think need it.

wilflare

Yep using WhatsApp and FB messenger, along with chrome. I use Google maps on a daily basis but turn location off after I've used it. I've also revoked location permissions for all the apps that I don't think need it.

hmm interesting. those are typically battery hogs :/
but I do keep my GPS on High Accuracy (checking the logs show that GPS wasn't used unless I needed it though) turned off WiFi/BT scanning

I went from full charge to dead with barely any use today for my 6P, and if you count up all the stuff for the battery, it only counted to less than 40% for stuff that was running as to why the battery died. So more than 60% of the battery just decided to just disappear for no reason.

My battery is at 10%, and now it says it will take 19 minutes to fully charge it... uhhh... what? Did my battery's life (physically) just completely shit itself?

EDIT: Nevermind, the time is going up. But still... what? Also, it means that the phone shut off, saying it was 0% battery, when I turn it back on and it says 10%... what?

I'm really counting on the new Pixel phone to be good.

RuGalz

Not really. Butter smooth. I just hate the battery life. Already done a factory reset... Wakelocks must be insane. And my mobile signal at home sucks but I'm on WiFi most of the day. I optimize for drain but still...

latest update was supposed to improve the signals, did it help?

Dobsie

hmm interesting. those are typically battery hogs :/
but I do keep my GPS on High Accuracy (checking the logs show that GPS wasn't used unless I needed it though) turned off WiFi/BT scanning
Weird, they're pretty minimal for me. Google drive seems to be using a lot of battery in N.

Ty4on

I went from full charge to dead with barely any use today for my 6P, and if you count up all the stuff for the battery, it only counted to less than 40% for stuff that was running as to why the battery died. So more than 60% of the battery just decided to just disappear for no reason.

My battery is at 10%, and now it says it will take 19 minutes to fully charge it... uhhh... what? Did my battery's life (physically) just completely shit itself?

EDIT: Nevermind, the time is going up. But still... what? Also, it means that the phone shut off, saying it was 0% battery, when I turn it back on and it says 10%... what?

I'm really counting on the new Pixel phone to be good.

Battery percentage is just an estimate using voltage and current drawn/applied. Sometimes they mess up.

My phone once went from 80% to 100% in zero time (literally a straight line on the graph and my alarm for reaching 85% kicked in at 100%), but checking the voltage it was reported as 4v and fully charged should be 4.2v. No idea why it did that, but the next time I charged it the issue was gone.

Admodieus

Allo not even doing cloud backup of it's own messages is one of those things that makes me think Google needs some people in it's management team clearing out.

It's just insanely shit.

This. Who launched a product in 2016 that wipes your conversation list when you switch devices? Don't they realize people move phones every few years?

FFP2

I think their biggest market would be people in the US. I think they basically want to become the iMessage that works on Android AND iOS. I guess you can do that with WhatsApp, but barely anyone I know uses WhatsApp.

Literally everyone here only uses Whatsapp. I know US people get unlimited SMS but doesn't that usually come with unlimited data too? It always confuses me that people stick to plain old SMS.

Google really needs to make apps that appeal worldwide instead of just the US. Most of the baked in Android apps they make don't even work here.

Literally carry your charger around. That's how iPhone users cope!

constantly carrying portable batteries and regular chargers wherever i go. no joke.

Yeah I always see people carrying their chargers with them. Always wonder why companies focus on thinness instead of bigger batteries. Seems like more people would prefer a larger battery.

how much more could it go with Power Saving on, AOD off and not being tethered to a Gear Fit 2?

AOD usually used 1-2% per hour for me. Useless gimmick so I turned it off after a few days. Don't use Power saving but I just checked and the estimated usage went from 31hr30min to 38hr28min.

Xisiqomelir

Googella is so DEMURE in Allo:

dlAJL1n.png

Also, I always call her Googella in maps, but with Assistant throwing the "Googella" in there stuffs up the search. Gonna reccommend that they fix that, since people will enjoy using pet names.

this still means that over 60 may have been real

Out of the 26 reports, the South Korean tech giant said that in 12 cases they found no fault with the devices. In seven cases, the reported victim could not be reached and in another seven incidents, the consumer cancelled the report or alleged that they threw away the device.

In the US, where 1 million devices were recalled, nine such cases were reported. There were three in South Korea, two in France, and one each from the UK, Canada, Singapore, Philippines, Turkey, Vietnam, Croatia, Romania, Iraq, Lebanon, the UAE, and Czech Republic.

Samsung received '26 false reports' of Note 7 fires

China was not part of the global recall as handsets there used different batteries, according to Samsung. The company said one Chinese user's Note 7 exploding was in fact caused by "external heating".

My iPhone is dying and I'm thinking of finally switching. Thoughts on the current offerings from Samsung if I am looking for a good iPhone equivalent on Verizon? Tips for switching ecosystems?

Classic Samsung move. Shoving this out there even though there's nothing to gain from saying, "Well, it's not totally our fault."

what? almost everyone was calling a few of these fake, especially the Jeep. it's interesting to know just how many claims were false. how is it their fault that people fabricated stories?

What's your screen on time?

Top Bottom